Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,903 members, 7,802,930 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:54 AM

NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike (12043 Views)

FUEL SCARCITY: NLC Threatens To Order Workers To Down Tools If… / NLC Threatens Nationwide Strike Over Fuel Scarcity / NLC Threatens Strike For Flogging Of Sokoto PHCN Staff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by abu12: 5:06am On Jul 24, 2013
The Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, has threatened to join the Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, in solidarity strike if the Federal Government failed to address the ASUU demands.
NLC President, Abdulwaheed Omar, made the threat at the opening ceremony of the “2013 Rain School” in Uyo.
“We call on the Federal Government to have meaningful dialogue with ASUU with a view to implementing the agreement.
“The state governments should equally obey the law and pay minimum wage to teachers and the local government workers as well as the 27.5 per cent teacher’s enhanced salaries.
“Should these strikes persist, workers of Nigeria will not hesitate to join them in solidarity,” he stressed.
Omar said the modules of the rain school were designed to train members of affiliate unions and state councils of the NLC.
“This is in order to equip them with necessary skills to empower and protect their rights at workplace.”
He said that the theme of the 2013 Rain Schoolwas imperative due to the obvious violation of workers’ rights in the workplace and in the larger society.
The Akwa Ibom Chairman of NLC, Mr Unyime Usoro, commended the leadership of the congress for keeping to its promise on making Uyo the permanent host of the school.
“On our own part, we intend to ensure that the standards set five years ago that led to the permanent hosting right is not lowered.
“It is significant to note that the government ofAkwa Ibom has graciously approved the building of the permanent block for Rain Schools here in Uyo to gather for the training needs of the union leaders across the nation,” he said.
The News Agency of Nigeria, NAN, reports that the theme of the occasion was: “Strengthening the trade Union for Defence of Workers’ Rights.”

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/07/23/nlc-threatens-to-join-ASUU-strike/
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by TRILLIONIAR: 5:32am On Jul 24, 2013
Thank u lord, thank u mum and dad thank u glo. Its been a long time coming my pastor saw the vision but i never took him serious now am the first thank u pastor too. Ok back to the matter NLC! joing abeg

5 Likes

Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by Acidosis(m): 5:37am On Jul 24, 2013
Wow, thats a very f00lish decision

The ASUU I know will never join anyone (not even the Non-Academic Staff Union of Universities) in any solidarity rubbish.

The problem with our lecturers is: They think PhD equates Large, Fat money.. Too many demands.. high expectation.

Some of these profs, earn between N700,000 - N1,000,000 basic salary monthly.
Plus sabaticals, free lecture hours (for business), other income from affiliate programs (Pre-degree, Post-Graduate, Professional degrees etc), allowances, visiting lecturers to other schools (not free), consultancy (not free), books and publications (for sale) etc..

They keep complaining about the time spent writing journals (journals meant for their OWN quick promotion, money, not STUDENTS).

Yet they keep comparing themselves with people who earn average sums working almost 20hours a day without any opportunity to do other works.

Now it would be very foolish for NLC to tell someone who earn N20K a month to sit at home in solidarity for a group of people who do not care about their existence.

29 Likes

Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by greatgod2012(f): 5:59am On Jul 24, 2013
Acidosis: Wow, thats a very f00lish decision

The ASUU I know will never join anyone (not even the Non-Academic Staff Union of Universities) in any solidarity rubbish.

The problem with our lecturers is: They think PhD equates Large, Fat money.. Too many demands.. high expectation.

Plus sabaticals, free lecture hours (for business), other income from affiliate programs (Pre-degree, Post-Graduate, Professional degrees etc), allowances, visiting lecturers to other schools (not free), consultancy (not free), books and publications (for sale) etc..

They keep complaining about the time spent writing journals (journals meant for their OWN quick promotion, money, not STUDENTS).

Yet they keep comparing themselves with people who earn average sums working almost 20hours a day without any opportunity to do other works.

Now it would be very foolish for NLC to tell someone who earn N20K a month to sit at home in solidarity for a group of people who do not care about their existence.

Bro. acidosis, i have been following your posts on this ASUU issue, why do you dislike lecturers like this, what exactly triggers your hatred to them to this magnitude

Im sorry, im not attacking you, im only making my observations known. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by Brimmie(m): 6:16am On Jul 24, 2013

Thank You Very Much!

Just like our Politicians, our Lecturers are bunch of Greedy Old Folks and Perverts! After failing Students (female) and asking them to Pay with their body, they still want more money to buy beer.

There was a seminar that was held in ma dept (FUTA) few months ago, a Man came with his Wife from UK to lecture us. He rubbished the way they Lecture us. He lectured our so called PHd Holders and i couldnt believe it when they were clapping for this man.

Practically, these Lecturers are Dumb!! A Lecturer taking a Photography Course that couldnt Operate An Analog Camera.

And to our Politicians for turning deaf-ear to ASUU matter, Una Papa o!!!

10 Likes

Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by Acidosis(m): 6:32am On Jul 24, 2013
greatgod2012:

Bro. acidosis, i have been following your posts on this ASUU issue, why do you dislike lecturers like this, what exactly triggers your hatred to them to this magnitude

Im sorry, im not attacking you, im only making my observations known. Thank you.

Thanks for your observation sist.

It's true I dislike lecturers (maybe not all)

Even when I try to like them, somehow they bring up this attitude again..

The worst moment of my life was in a university..

Have you ever stand at the door of a man for 8hours waiting to see him and when you even try to enter, he tells you "get out of my office" [since I nor get anything between my leg to offer].. and Yes, girls enter at will smilling..

From favoritism, to womanising, frustrating students, to bribery, corruption, endless demands, wickedness, extreme idiocy, God-fatherism, hypocrisy, just to mention few.

Sist, I've alot against them o

21 Likes

Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by abu12: 6:57am On Jul 24, 2013

Bros are you related to minister of education or what ?

list of ASUU demand.

i. Funding requirements for Revitalization of theNigerian Universities
ii. Federal Government Assistance to State Universities
iii. Establishment of NUPEMCO
iv. Progressive increase in Annual Budgetary Allocation to Education to 26% between 2009 and 2020
v. Earned Allowances
vi. Amendment of the Pension/Retirement Age of Academics on the Professorial cadre from 65to 70 years
vii. Reinstatement of prematurely dissolved Governing Councils
viii. Transfer of Federal Government Landed Property to Universities
ix. Setting up of Research Development Council and Provision of Research Equipment to laboratories and classrooms in our universities.

2 Likes

Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by BarryX(m): 1:34pm On Jul 24, 2013
Please let them solidarise, The Insensitivity of this government is unfathomable, That baritone Wogu guy is definitely someone I don't quite understand !
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by FOLYKAZE(m): 1:35pm On Jul 24, 2013
This country is becoming something else. Where is NUPENG, they are needed to join in the strike
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by guttentag(m): 1:37pm On Jul 24, 2013
You no know say lecturers join ppl wen dey spoil this country with their over sabi

greatgod2012:

1 Like

Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by tareigns(m): 1:37pm On Jul 24, 2013
D country don kuku dabaru b4. Zeus,sango nd amadioha thunda na him go fire all those our useless leaders.
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by Teegurlee(f): 1:37pm On Jul 24, 2013
What are they still waiting 4? They shld join already jor

Wait o!

Paale and Maale go dey house if NLC join o(big wahala)

NLC please don't join o,na God I take beg u.
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by BarryX(m): 1:38pm On Jul 24, 2013
abu12:

Bros are you related to minister of education or what ?

Nice question, The issue at hand is bigger than ASUU ! I'm all for ASUU & NLC ---**singing** Solidarity for Forever **
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by kingarizona(m): 1:38pm On Jul 24, 2013
This joining SH*t is just gonna cause no good than harm!!!
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jul 24, 2013
TRILLIONIAR: Thank u lord, thank u mum and dad thank u glo. Its been a long time coming my pastor saw the vision but i never took him serious now am the first thank u pastor too. Ok back to the matter NLC! joing abeg

F.O.O.L
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by Eneze1(f): 1:40pm On Jul 24, 2013
Is this man speaking on behalf of all Nigeria workers who told him they are ready to join ASUU for a solidarity strike abeg make he park well jare, btw ASUU demand is ridiculous, a lot of this lecturers don't even go to class yet they are making this demand

5 Likes

Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by mkmyers45(m): 1:41pm On Jul 24, 2013

@First Bolded: No Professor under the present HATISS/CONUASS earns as high as you report from basic salary, you are infact very very far from the mark.

@Second Bolded: NASS gulps over 10% of budget expenditure including constituency allowance, how many hours do they work per year?

5 Likes

Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by DICKtator: 1:41pm On Jul 24, 2013
Bout tIME
grin grin grin grin
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by funshint(m): 1:41pm On Jul 24, 2013
Wetin be dia own?! NLC has lost credibility since Oshiomhole left. In other countries the economy would hv been brought to a standstill by this rising electricity tarrif and daylight robbery by PHCN. Its not funny at all!

1 Like

Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by hayoakins(m): 1:42pm On Jul 24, 2013
ASUP was on strike for God knows how long, this yeye Omar's NLC didnt utter a word or even threaten to follow suit but now that it is ASUU, the useless and corrupt Omar that sold out our Fuel Subsidy struggle is threatening and barking like a bull dog ...discrimination is never gonna die as we daily feed its ego.

Better still, let the government close down the Monotechnics and Polytechnics as they see their products as second and inferior commodities

9 Likes

Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by guttentag(m): 1:42pm On Jul 24, 2013
How many u wan talk, the problem wit Nigerians is that they just like abusing little power.

Tell me who is a lecturer compare to a teacher

Acidosis:

Thanks for your observation sist.

It's true I dislike lecturers (maybe not all)

Even when I try to like them, somehow they bring up this attitude again..

The worst moment of my life was in a university..

Have you ever stand at the door of a man for 8hours waiting to see him and when you even try to enter, he tells you "get out of my office" [since I nor get anything between my leg to offer].. and Yes, girls enter at will smilling..

From favoritism, to womanising, frustrating students, to bribery, corruption, endless demands, wickedness, extreme idiocy, God-fatherism, hypocrisy, just to mention few.

Sist, I've alot against them o
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by kwaraguy(m): 1:43pm On Jul 24, 2013
So....
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by Charlesedet25(m): 1:47pm On Jul 24, 2013
when everybody decide 2 go on strike, i'll definitely go on hunger strike grin
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by ShalomNigeria: 1:48pm On Jul 24, 2013
[quote author=Acidosis]Wow, thats a very f00lish decision

Please, do you make this statement because you are paid to say so or you don't know what profs and other lecturers are paid in Nigeria? Please always validate any information before spreading it.

For your information, PHD is not beans. why don't you try and get one
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by Ghydyon(m): 1:51pm On Jul 24, 2013
Abeg o,make FG make way 4 ASUU i cant go on another hunger strike and to ASUU ur own don dey too much,u want strike pass thunder ni?

1 Like

Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by infoscope(m): 1:51pm On Jul 24, 2013
Brimmie:

Thank You Very Much!

Just like our Politicians, our Lecturers are bunch of Greedy Old Folks and Perverts! After failing Students (female) and asking them to Pay with their body, they still want more money to buy beer.

There was a seminar that was held in ma dept (FUTA) few months ago, a Man came with his Wife from UK to lecture us. He rubbished the way they Lecture us. He lectured our so called PHd Holders and i couldnt believe it when they were clapping for this man.

Practically, these Lecturers are Dumb!! A Lecturer taking a Photography Course that couldnt Operate An Analog Camera.

And to our Politicians for turning deaf-ear to ASUU matter, Una Papa o!!!
You just showed us how dumb you are. If your lecturers at FUTA are dumb, my at FUTO are definitely not.

BTW if you are not comfortable with education in Nigeria, why not travel oversea. Your mates are their making 5.0 CGPA and you are here ranting thrash. Get a life dude

1 Like

Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jul 24, 2013

You are so spot on. Those guys are a bunch of greedy old men who care more about their already fat pockets. May God help Nigeria sha

4 Likes

Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by Raphealedwin: 1:53pm On Jul 24, 2013
Um......ASUU nd FG, i knw dat God is watchin dis pple but father 4giv dem coz dey dnt knw wat dey re doing,well, i bliv it is not yet ova until it is ova.dats all!
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by hoochay: 1:54pm On Jul 24, 2013
kwaraguy: So....
go n sleep,if u dont ve anything to comment
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by Jaywilzee(m): 1:54pm On Jul 24, 2013
Wonderful combo..imagine a striker of ASUU's calibre joinin forces wit NLC..goals go plenty...too bad ASUP left our club...it could hv been d fantastic trio...... cool

2 Likes

Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by DEGREE2466(m): 1:54pm On Jul 24, 2013
PRAYING: CHRISTUS FIDELIBUS ANIMARUM DEFECTORUM QUES MISERICODIE DEI REQUESCANT IN PACE, AMEN.

AT TOPIC: WHATEVER AM TIRED OF STAYING AT HOME PLZ FG DO SOMETHING
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by mkmyers45(m): 1:55pm On Jul 24, 2013
ShalomNigeria: For your information, PHD is not beans. why don't you try and get one

None of them earn that much...He does not know what he is saying

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Wike - We Will Frustrate New PDP In Rivers –wike / 2023: Military Will Stay Out Of Elections If INEC Adopts E-voting —army / 'we're Going Nowhere'-abuja Prostitutes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.