Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,690 members, 7,802,010 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:51 AM

Website Review - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Website Review (777 Views)

Website Review / www.9jatech.com - Website Review, Your Comments Will Be Appreciated / Requesting a Website Review: PresentDangerOnline.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Website Review by greenmouse(m): 2:12pm On Jul 25, 2013
this just a quick one: http://www.collin.greenmousetech.com/

only home page is ready

any comment will be appreciated

Re: Website Review by GraphicsPlus(m): 4:02pm On Jul 25, 2013
Good one. I just like the background image. I am a fan of full width bg image when it's properly done.

Ok. Let me show u few things.

1. You used table for your layout. That is a no no in this 21st century. Table MUST be used for what it was created to do in the first place. To display tabular data. See first image below. Simply put, anything Microsoft Excel will do perfectly well in real life, is what table is meant to do on the web.

2. The background image is not properly styled. And so, it has a horizontal scroll-bar. See the second image below. But what exactly do u want to achieve? To have a full body background image?

You did this:

body {
background: url(images/body.jpg);
background-color:#f4f4f4;
min-width: 100%;
min-height:100%;
}

Now, it will not work like this. The image will repeat, yet your image is huge. 2024px/1256px. So it will repeat more than one time and make the website heavy more. The weight of the image is 624KB already.

To achieve a perfect full background image that will not have a scroll-bar, here is how your style will be:

body {
background: url(images/body.jpg)no-repeat center center fixed;
background-color:#f4f4f4;
-webkit-background-size:cover;
-moz-background-size:cover;
-o-background-size:cover;
background-size:cover;
}

The background-size:cover is a css3, that is why I added those browser prefix. You don't need to specify the width and height since you are using background-size:cover. Width and height are required when you are using just background-image.

Now, it's always good to set the image fixed when using full-width background image that is not seamless. But if you want the image to also scroll vertically, then remove the fixed value.

See what I mean here: http://www.ctrlshiftstudios.com/fullBG

3. The hover of the "Read More" buttons should have a background color same as that of the main nav container. It gives a good user experience and color theory. See the third image below.

4. The slider image should not be cut into two with a gradient color. You may leave the images as they were and give the text on top of them a background color of the menu and reduce the opacity. Then make the text white with a drop-shadow. See fourth image below.

5. The three divisions under slider should have some white space on top. It's either you give them margin-top or you give the slider div a margin-bottom.

6. The share buttons by the right are not necessary. This is not a blog. Do you expect users to tweet the homepage or share it. For what? The three social icons at the top are all the company needs.

7. The hover color of the main link and the background seems to be same because when you hover on the links, they disappear into the background.

8. The bg image was 624KB, but I optimized it and got it at 511KB. Always optimize a huge jpg image with: http://www.jpegmini.com and optimize a huge png image with: http://www.tinypng.org

Well done.

Re: Website Review by yawatide(f): 4:35pm On Jul 25, 2013
Why is GraphicsPlus ALWAYS the first person to respond to Greenmouse's website review posts? tongue
Re: Website Review by greenmouse(m): 5:21pm On Jul 25, 2013
yawa-ti-de:
Why is GraphicsPlus ALWAYS the first person to respond to Greenmouse's website review posts? tongue

the guy no like me, even I don talk tire, he dey do like say we dey fight.

Let me make this clear on this forum, am a CEO(I mostly go for meetings, presentations, demos etc),
I only do big website jobs, all the jobs I post here are done by each of my seven staff.

So @graphicplus, your critic goes to them not me.

You seem to have too much time and energy to stay and critic any of my review post.

I will keep the review post coming, keep the critic coming, it only makes my boys(team) stronger.

#Nohardfeelings.
Re: Website Review by GraphicsPlus(m): 6:50pm On Jul 25, 2013
Wow @Greenmouse. Thank you so much sir. You may wish to know that my reviews of your projects are not an attcak on you. I do every review here with the aim to pass across my little experience to others. The reviews are not basically about you. Someone who is starting out may find some of the reviews helpful in the future. I usually go to certain foreign forums and anytime I see a website review thread, I must read all the comments. I have learned a lot from some of those reviews. So my brother, am not attacking you. What do I stand to gain in attacking you?

I am aware that you are a CEO of a company as you pointed out. I know that some persons depend on you for a pay every month. I commend you for giving those seven people job in your company.

You said that the websites you post here are done by your boys. Good. But I want you to know that those boys are not Greenmouse. It's you that is Greenmouse. Even if you are not the one coding all your websites, I suggest you wield your hammer of expertise on any job those boys do before you put it up for review on a public forum. Because since the signature of the job says: "Designed by: Greenmouse Tech", it all means it was designed by you. Those boys will come and go, but you and your company will remain.

Again, I suggest, you ask your boys to open an account on Nairaland, and then be putting up projects here for review without putting your signature. When the project is ready to go live finally, they can then put your company seal on it.

In everything, I understand the point you made. I appreciate your courage. Please sorry for seemingly attacking you.

I hereby promise you that I WILL NEVER review any project you post here for review. I can only go through other people's comments, but I have placed a ban on myself never to review your projects. Thank you. Let peace reign.

1 Like

Re: Website Review by DualCore1: 7:22pm On Jul 25, 2013
Greenmouse it will be in the best interest of the community if you stopped asking for 'reviews'.

Graphicplus, it will be in the same best interest of the community if you used discernment when choosing what to review. You seem to have a lot of free time on your hands, chanel it to people who will appreciate it.

The pride, arrogance and childishness that characterizes every greenmouse 'review' thread is enough for one lifetime.

If this whole recurrent rubbish was backed up by some innovative projects it won't be this embarrassing.

2 Likes

Re: Website Review by Djtm(m): 11:32pm On Jul 25, 2013
greenmouse:

the guy no like me, even I don talk tire, he dey do like say we dey fight.

Let me make this clear on this forum, am a CEO(I mostly go for meetings, presentations, demos etc),
I only do big website jobs, all the jobs I post here are done by each of my seven staff.

So @graphicplus, your critic goes to them not me.

You seem to have too much time and energy to stay and critic any of my review post.

I will keep the review post coming, keep the critic coming, it only makes my boys(team) stronger.

#Nohardfeelings.

he isn't criticizing anything. What he pointed out are what should be fixed. He didn't say anything bad. BTW, what is the essence of asking for reviews? Is it not to check for faults and fix them? You could have said something like "website admiration" and we all would have gladly posted stuffs like "awesome", "marvelous", "beautiful website looking take-away", "the best of it's kind", "21st century saviour" etc. So next time sir, put up something like "come in and admire my student's creation". I can remember you saying any comment will be appreciated, looks like you don't appreciate any comment after all. #noOffencePls!

2 Likes

Re: Website Review by ogzille(m): 12:45am On Jul 26, 2013
@Dual Core, well said! How are you doing? It has been a while!

@GreenMouse, such arrogance! disgusting arrogance!!
Re: Website Review by greenmouse(m): 9:11am On Jul 26, 2013
Thanks @dual core , its well
Re: Website Review by sisqology(m): 9:20am On Jul 26, 2013
I like graphicplus. I've learnt so many things from him. Whenever I read his posts, I always laugh and learn.

On the otherhand, greenmouse never accpet criticisms! He believes he's too perfect! No!
Re: Website Review by biggjoe(m): 10:24am On Jul 26, 2013
If theres any reason why I admire graphicplus, its about his reviews.
The guy reviews better than he designs and he should be charging for it!
That said, it is pure arrogance and childishness for greenmouse to react the way he normally does each time someone (especially graphicplus) has something to say about his websites. If you are the CEO and hence too busy to review websites that have your name on it, pay someone to do it silently for you. Thats what CEOs do.
Almost everyone here is a CEO of some sort and waving it on our faces here is plain dumb. Some nairalanders may have designed more websites and made more money from it than you but you dont see anyone saying things like that here.
I doubt you will do that but I will ask you to apologize to graphicplus.

3 Likes

Re: Website Review by yawatide(f): 2:22pm On Jul 26, 2013
Soooo,

Just in case, when I asked the question, it wasn't to say that there is anything inherently bad in his responses. I just have noticed a trend for a while, that's all.

Can GraphicsPlus put his words a little better? Sure. But that shouldn't take away from his reviews. Take this one for instance. He said it all. I can't even add anything.
Re: Website Review by Yinksey(m): 10:12pm On Jul 26, 2013
I dont see anything bad in what graphicplus has said, infact have even learnt some new things from the review he gave, the guy is website crawler lol.
Re: Website Review by greenmouse(m): 10:51am On Jul 27, 2013
@dhtml,this will surely be the end of my review post. I only post for marketing not for any review from @graphicplus.

I take reviews from @yewatide bc she knows how to put words together.

@graphicplus divert your time to looking for client that criticing everyone here.
#nofeelings.
Re: Website Review by veightar: 12:38pm On Jul 27, 2013
Ha, am i the only one who is confused here? In web design business, whether a CEO of a big web design company or a freelancer with small job, review is review.

@graphicplus did a perfect review not criticism. I am shock why anybody will see that as a criticism.

From my ten years in the business, I think review is not about giving only applause, but also getting the best out of your existing project through flaw indications; which in this case @graphicplus showed a perfect example of that.

I'll advice @GreenMouse do these postings at market places and not for review, since he's only interested in advertising and not workarounds.

I admire his review. Keep it up. Some of us pay for such review.

Thank him instead of rebuking him.
Re: Website Review by talk2me006(m): 1:19pm On Jul 27, 2013
devil at work
Re: Website Review by greenmouse(m): 3:31pm On Jul 27, 2013
veightar: Ha, am i the only one who is confused here? In web design business, whether a CEO of a big web design company or a freelancer with small job, review is review.

@graphicplus did a perfect review not criticism. I am shock why anybody will see that as a criticism.

From my ten years in the business, I think review is not about giving only applause, but also getting the best out of your existing project through flaw indications; which in this case @graphicplus showed a perfect example of that.

I'll advice @GreenMouse do these postings at market places and not for review, since he's only interested in advertising and not workarounds.

I admire his review. Keep it up. Some of us pay for such review.

Thank him instead of rebuking him.

Finally webmasters section is busy, everybody can talk even my students, weldone.
Re: Website Review by databoy247(m): 3:44pm On Jul 27, 2013
greenmouse:

Finally webmasters section is busy, everybody can talk even my students, weldone.

I smell pride.. undecided
Re: Website Review by jacintamary: 7:37am On Jul 28, 2013
greenmouse: @dhtml,this will surely be the end of my review post. I only post for marketing not for any review from @graphicplus.

I take reviews from @yewatide bc she knows how to put words together.

@graphicplus divert your time to looking for client that criticing everyone here.
#nofeelings.
na waa ooo. See marketing strategies ooo.
But dont u think it will be in ur own good if we clean up ur wares here before u display them in the market square since u r the kain CEO wey no de like code and still dont pay for reviews. cheesy

(1) (Reply)

An Easier And Faster Way Of Backing Up Mysql Database / Website Design At Affordable Price / Check Out My New Blog Http://nicejams..com/

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.