Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,090 members, 7,807,260 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:41 AM

Remember Me - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Remember Me (24460 Views)

Remember Me / REMEMBER ME{ A poem & others} by. Ben C. Okere. / Poem : Remember Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Remember Me by Wesslier(m): 10:43pm On Jul 25, 2013
Comin soon
Re: Remember Me by princesa(f): 12:10am On Jul 26, 2013
bookmarked wink

1 Like

Re: Remember Me by Wesslier(m): 10:57pm On Jul 26, 2013
INTRODUCTION
I have been reading so many interesting stories on this forum for a while now, not only was i really impressed, I have been inspired to write something. This is my first work and the title "REMEMBER ME" is more a working title. I am going to need your assistance in every possible way. I won't also want to forget the likes of Mazi, Larry, Princesa and others whom i draw inspiration from. Criticisms are highly welcomed and expected. Thanks.

To My Readers
I will try to make this work factual as possible although it is purely fiction. Every incident and character in this work is a creation of the author.
Re: Remember Me by Wesslier(m): 11:06pm On Jul 26, 2013
It was the first week of the month, the morning was so cold due to the heavy down pour of the previous night. Jake walked slowly towards the school gate, he is always punctual so there is never a reason for him to be in a haste. Despite being a thursday morning, his white shirt was sparkling clean and well ironed and his blue trouser was in the same manner. His black shoe was a plus to his outfit as they were properly polished, even the dullest of the Fulani herds men will know from the first glance that the leather shoe was pure Italian. The only thing the differentiated him from the manager of a multi milion dollar firm going for a board meeting was his tie, although properly knotted, it was slacking down his chest and his last button was undone, a swag in his school which they refer to as "all but 1" and was exclusive to the senior students alone.

He looked back and waved at his mom as she reversed the F x 35 infinity jeep from which he had alighted. He entered the school compound and greeted the security man who was sitting peacefully at his post. In a few minutes time, this friendly looking man with a bald head and tribal marks on both cheeks like he once played a scratching game with a lion will become a wounded lionhimself as he tries to take hold of students who were late and making them put their names in a book as they 'll definitely serve some punishments. Jake 'll be the last student to be punished by any one for late coming as he was always punctual to school. The punctuality award in the school has remained with him for four years.

Few students were already in the compound and the premises was very well tidy that morning. That was the handiwork of the late comers who usually out numbered the punctual ones, what even make them come to school late was one thing Jake could not tell as his best friend Morris was sometimes a victim. He move straight to his classroom which was in the second floor of a magnificent three storey building. There were five buildings in the compound and none was anything short of two storey and all were painted white and blue with an 85kva perkins sound proof generator at the far left side of the compound. Jake was surprised as he entered the classroom. He stood at the door looking like he had seen an apparition, after a few minutes of mopping he smiled and moved inside the room. The class was empty except for one person, the person he least expected to be in school at that time.

"What in God's name are u doing in school" Jake asked as he walked towards Morris who actually was a notorious late comer.
"well its a welcomed development anyway" he added as he offered his hand for a shake which Morris took stil maintaining his gaze on Jake like he had a bee on his head.

"This is my school and I have the right to be here when ever I choose, and mind you I also have paid my fees."
They both laughed as Jake sat on the desk of the first row while his frnd sat properly on the next seat.

"Did you watch yesterday's match?" Morris called from behind.

"Yes i did, the score line was suppose to be better than that were it not for..." the bell rang for assembly and the boys strolled majestically towards the large school hall for the morning assembly.

"Its goin to be a long day, can't wait for the end of the week" Jake complained as they entered the hall which was big enough to accommodate two thousand people. The assembly was a brisk one dat day as it wasn't a monday and within thirty five minutes the students were walking back to their class rooms. Some late comers who wer extremely late were being flogged at the gate. Majority of the boys wer talkin about the previous days match, some were praising their favourite players while condemning others. Morris and Jake were among the guys who were discussing the match in semi loud tones as the leave the hall.
Re: Remember Me by princesa(f): 11:49pm On Jul 26, 2013
lets be the judge of thatwink
Re: Remember Me by Wesslier(m): 11:15am On Jul 27, 2013
princesa: lets be the judge of thatwink
Re: Remember Me by Wesslier(m): 1:34pm On Jul 27, 2013
Not long after, the teachers were moving from the staff room to their various classes for the day's business. Soon one class was succeeded by another as teachers left the class at the sound of the bell signalling the end of a lecture period. Some teachers gave assignments which were to be submitted the next day while others ended their teaching with a popular phrase "we continue from there in our next class."
SS two blue was one of the classes that was concluded with the phrase. The geography teacher Mr Joe nicked oga Joe by the students had hurriedly left the class which was no strange occurance. As he moved out his pace quickened and his destination was clear, "The Toilet".

Seconds grew into minutes and soon the bell for break sounded much to Morris' relieve.

"Is that time keeper sane?" Jake asked turning to his seat mate Morris who was already standing and ready to plung into the cafeteria. Morris did not answer him as he placed his pen inside his pocket and brought out his wallet.

"How come its time for break already" Jake asked the lanky Morris a second time.
"I think you should ask Hilarry when you see him, he's not far off, just the next class." with that he advanced towards the front of the class. Askin senior Hilarry to his face if he was sane was suicide mission, a risk no student in creative secondary school 'll want to take. Hilarry with a scanty beard, very dark skin, broad shoulder and huge frame which qualified him for ammataur wrestling was apparently the oldest student in the school. He was a no nonsense person and forgives no wrong no matter how thrivial, hence he had caved a niche for him self in the school as the most respected senior, Fear was more like the perfect word.

Jake's attention had been fixed on something else all morning. Few seats away to the left some girls were making jest of some body. They have been discussing even during the classes and with the bell for break, the whispers and murmurs had increased to shouts and screams. The sound from three girls equal that of the Ikeja bomb blast. Mean while Anabel knowing that pamela and her friends were at it again peacefully gathered her things into her bag and moved out swiftly. Her action made it clear to Jake that she was the object of ridicule. Why they were tauntin her and how long had been happening Jake could not tell. He found himself moving out of the class after her, what prompted his going after her he couldn't explain. A strong magnetic force had attracted him and like Alabi's stubborn goat that refused to go back home at the sound of his whistle, he didn't listen to the other half of him which urged him to stay back. Before he knew it, he was already at the door. He stole a quick gaze to the left then right. He saw her walking towards a tree close to the laboratory. He doubled his step and when he got a bit closer to her he called out to her.

"Anabel!" she was shocked as see turned and caught a glimpse of the caller. This was like the first time he was calling her and maybe talking to her as far as she could remember, that's if at all she was the person he was calling. She became convinced she was the one as he closed the distance between them.
What was he goin to say she wondered. As he got to her, he noticed the sea of tears formed in her eyes and she tired hard to prevent them from rolling down. A thousand and one things he wanted to say to her but none found their way to his lip so he said the first thing that came out of his mouth.

"Let me see that book" he said more like an order than a plea, collecting the Comprehensive Agricultural Science text book from her without waiting for her to approve or decline. He continued walking, keeping his focus on the Agric text book. Neither of them spoke as they walked towards the shade provided by the huge tree.
Re: Remember Me by SPLENDIDFLOZZY: 1:50pm On Jul 27, 2013
Wish i cud b dis gud... Nice nd interestin

1 Like

Re: Remember Me by Wesslier(m): 2:18pm On Jul 27, 2013
SPLENDIDFLOZZY: Wish i cud b dis gud... Nice nd interestin
tnks, at least i can continue just wid ur comment.
Re: Remember Me by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jul 27, 2013
very creative, you're good,nice story pls don't keep us waiting.
Re: Remember Me by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jul 27, 2013
very creative, you're good and i like the title. nice story pls don't keep us waiting.
Re: Remember Me by Wesslier(m): 9:00pm On Jul 27, 2013
elyna: very creative, you're good and i like the title. nice story pls don't keep us waiting.
Tnks, I'll try ma best but since am usin a fone it takes mur tym as i try to reduce d typos... Welcom aboard.
Re: Remember Me by princesa(f): 11:38pm On Jul 27, 2013
nice start
Re: Remember Me by Wesslier(m): 10:03pm On Jul 28, 2013
princesa: nice start
Tnks...
Re: Remember Me by Wesslier(m): 11:32pm On Jul 28, 2013
The cafeteria was a well tiled hall with a plethora of chairs and tables. The interior, well painted white and blue like the outside, several decorations hung on the wall and a gigantic wall clock opposite the entrance door. There was also a glass frame which contains the "do's" and "don'ts" of the cafeteria which the students paid little or on attention to.

As usual the place was rowdy as each student wanted to be served before the bell is rung to signal the end of the break period. The student kept calling on the lunch lady to give them either a bottle of coke and meat pie or a bit of "this" garnished with a certain amount of "that."
Jake didn't knw what to say, he knew Anabel was so sad and at the brink of crying if she attempt to explaining things to him. He picked up a leaf from the ground and started shredding it as he watched her tryin in vain to prevent the tears which had already found their way down her cheeks.

Why are some people so annoying he thought within himself.as he kept thinking of how to break the silence.

"Don't let what people say or do get to you" he managed to say. She turned and faced him stil sittin on a log while he stood half facing her and half looking towards the classroom block.
"some people are frustrated and seek other people to bounce the weight upon, so not evry body is worth making you angry." He finally said.

"so you can talk?" she said with a pseudo surprise on her face which gently turned into a smile.

"you weren't thinking am dumb, were you?" he shot back.

"ehm... No, not exactly but you rarely speak and i guess you are talking to me for the first time which apparently could be the last." she answered with a wink.

"Well I do talk but I guess I talk only when necessary." he replied. The bell rang for the end of the break period. Jake looked at his left wrist as the sound of the bell continued, the day seemed to running very fast to him. The other students had started moving back to their respective classrooms to avoid senior prefects, Jake offered her his hand and gently pulled her up. His presence had been the only ray of sun light that had shone into her heart for a long while now. Those words were in fact going to be her watch word and never will she forget it.

"I never would have imagined you were half this nice" she said giggling as they walked back towards the class.
Re: Remember Me by yusuff4u2c(m): 5:43am On Jul 29, 2013
what a lovely write-up, please we are waiting for the rest part
Re: Remember Me by Neduzze5(m): 8:20am On Jul 29, 2013
princesa: nice start

You and your short comments!
Na wa oh. Will you tell me that you didn't see any error there that you could have pointed out?
Smh! grin

Erm,

back to the topic, the title got my attention and I've read through it. There are some grammatical and spelling errors there that I would love to point out but I won't until I'm sure this won't be an abandoned story. I'm following but don't disappoint.
Re: Remember Me by Wesslier(m): 2:37pm On Jul 29, 2013
Neduzze5:

You and your short comments!
Na wa oh. Will you tell me that you didn't see any error there that you could have pointed out?
Smh! grin

Erm,

back to the topic, the title got my attention and I've read through it. There are some grammatical and spelling errors there that I would love to point out but I won't until I'm sure this won't be an abandoned story. I'm following but don't disappoint.
I 'll be very happy if those errors are pointed out, dat 'll rily propel mi to kip rytin at least to avoid "disappointment." tnks
Re: Remember Me by goist(m): 3:10pm On Jul 29, 2013
Nice piece...kudos man! A̶̲̥̅♏ following like ur disciplewink wink grin
Re: Remember Me by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jul 29, 2013
nice story,keep up the good work and pls try and update more often.
Re: Remember Me by Wesslier(m): 9:24pm On Jul 29, 2013
goist: Nice piece...kudos man! A̶̲̥̅♏ following like ur disciplewink wink grin
Tnks man....
Re: Remember Me by Wesslier(m): 9:27pm On Jul 29, 2013
elyna: nice story,keep up the good work and pls try and update more often.
Ok, I 'll try ma best... Tnks
Re: Remember Me by Wesslier(m): 8:14am On Jul 30, 2013
Somewhere around the nation's former capital, a car sped through a lonely road. The occupants of the car had certain intimidating features which was glaringly obvious that they weren't friendlies. As the driver sped on, he looked at the analogue speedometer on the dash board, "140km/h." That was nothing for the reckless Ade who kept pressing his right foot hard on the accelerator and the car kept lurching forward at break neck speed like a mad demon is some sinister mission.
Few metres, away an impatient cyclist entered the road without paying much attention to the 2002 model toyota camry coming towards him at a high speed. He had used much force to get into the elevated road from the adjoining street to the right. Now he was at the middle of the road trying to manoeuvre himself back to the corner but it was too late, Ade was already too close. Immediately Ade stepped hard on the brake, turned the wheel to the left then released the brake. He was now in the lane of a fast approaching Mack truck carrying bags of cement. The truck driver did not attempt to reduce his speed but produced a flicker of light from the head lamp which was accompanied by a deafening hooting as a warning to the small car no its path. This was not good, never did he bargain to die by accident, Ade quickly stepped on the brake again and swerved the car back to his lane, tossing every body in the car like a tennis ball from right to left as he managed to stabilize and gain control of the car.
The road is full of stupid and drunk drivers today, especially you this mad bull dog" said a muscular guy with tattoo on his arm referring to Ade. Ade maintained his gaze on the road paying on attention to the remarks from his friends. When the car was fully under his control from the "ball dance" was when he spoke for the first time after the near death experience.
"Am the king of the road " he said in a husky tone, smiling as he kept accelerating the car.
"life doesn't have duplicate" the tattooed guy countered him from the back seat. Few minutes later Ade reduced the speed of the car then turned left into an untarred street. He finally brought the car to a halt in front of a magnificent building with an enormous black gate. The distance from the gate to the house is about two hundred metres. The compound had a nice inter locking stone floor. The beautifully trimmed flowers, light decorations and giant sized, olympic standard pool made the compound a dream dwelling place of every human being even the god's. In the parking lot, there were varieties of cars ranging from Japanese to American and German. One could easily confuse the compound for a car dealer's shop. The exact colour of the building cannot be easily spotted out due to the stone designs on the wall on which there was an inscription, "THE FORTRESS OF FORTUNE" but indeed the house was a "fortress of doom" as misfortune comes quickly to any one who opposes the owner of the house.
Ade hooted a second time. This time long enough to wake the sleeping gate keeper. As if had been sleeping on a packet of pin he lunged towards the gate, without peeping through the spy hole , the gate keeper started rolling the gigantic gate to the left. Ade was about to blast his horn again when he noticed the gate was moving apart then stopped the hooting session abruptly. With a silent curse under his breath, he selected the gear and the car lurched forward into the high compound and headed straight towards the parking lot. The gate keeper was agape as the car flew past him, missing his foot by only a few centimetres.
Re: Remember Me by Nobody: 8:32am On Jul 30, 2013
i like the way you write,its almost like i was in the car with the Ade character .*following*
Re: Remember Me by Wesslier(m): 9:38pm On Jul 30, 2013
elyna: i like the way you write,its almost like i was in the car with the Ade character .*following*
I had a long day but i 'll try makin ma posts longer dan b4. Tnks
Re: Remember Me by Wesslier(m): 11:03pm On Jul 31, 2013
The friday was gloomy and the skies threatening to let down a heavy down pour. The inky clouds made the afternoon look like it was late evening. Jake was having a mixed feeling, he usually was happy on fridays as he would have ample sleeping time since the next day was a saturday but that friday was different. He stole a quick glance outside the window to see the cause of the stampede in the compound. Some junior students were running down the stairs of the opposite block, they were being taken out for punishment, a teacher was with them and he wasn't looking friendly.
"stop the noise!" he roared like a wounded lion out to the already terrified students.
"when 'll punishments cease in this school?" Jake thought within himself.
The wind began to blow more violently outside and both the trees and flowers in the compound obeyed the message relayed by the wind as they swayed towards different directions uncontrollably. There was no teacher in the class, being the last period on a friday it was free period. Jake kept looking through the window as slowly drifted into a reverie. Despite the fact that he wanted to go home and have a good rest also to meet his elder brother who was coming back from South Africa, he still wanted to be in school. He still wanted to be around Anabel. Since their encounter few days back, he had suddenly become fond of school for reasons he knew but wouldn't want to accept.
"My friend stop smiling sheepishly." Morris said to his friend who was certainly in wonderland with Alice.
"And how is it your business if i smile like a cow or ram?" Jake responded turning to face his friend who had returned to their seat after a good session of noise making.
Jack and Morris although had been childhood friends, they possessed contrasting personalities. While Jake was a quiet and reserved fellow who was hardly noticed due to his placidity, Morris was a talkative whose name graced the "list of noise makers" during his junior secondary school days. Morris was capable of turning a mourning house to a laughing galore with his incessant humorous jokes. He was indeed an example of those referred to as "No dull moment." He always had a story to tell in as much as there was a listener, even if the listener a deaf. He was also very resourceful in information acquisition.
"Jake" a female voice called softly. Jake turned, he knew the voice too well to confuse it. He stood up and put his pen inside his bag which was on his desk.
"Guy do I have to beg you before you allow me pass?" Jake asked Morris who maintained an innocuous gaze.
"some one is falling in love with his new girl friend" Morris responded in a low tone. Jake laughed softly. Pushing his friend aside gently he whispered
"Girlfriend like female friend" he stress emphatically, "yes but love i don't think so."
"You 'll definitely explain that" morris said to the already gone Jake.
Anabel had been watching the melodrama unfold by the two friends. All they said was in a faint tone so she couldn't hear them but her instinct told her that the big mouthed Morris had said something about her.
"What were the male gossips saying about me?" she demanded shifting towards the wall and making space for Jake to sit.
"Well... em we weren't really talking about you." Jake stammered.
"Why do people stammer when they lie" she asked with a smile.
"I'm not lying, why should I lie to you?"
"And i can't remember saying you were lying" she retorted.
"I think the CIA 'll be a better ground for you. So what's up with you today" Jake asked waving her initial question aside.
"Am good in my solitude, just wanna thank you for the other day, you were really helpful." She said with a wink. Before Jake could give his response, the bell rang for the end of the day's activity or rather end of the week's business. He stood up from the wooden seat and collected his bag from Morris who was already holding it out to him.
As the students stepped out from their various classrooms, the black cloud began to disappear and a tiny ray of sun light appeared in the sky. How that tiny little light illuminated the entire earth still requires explanation. The students advanced towards the assembly hall for the closing assembly with Jake and Anabel walking closely together.
Re: Remember Me by Nobody: 12:29pm On Aug 01, 2013
you're doing a good job,keep it up.
Re: Remember Me by SPLENDIDFLOZZY: 3:34pm On Aug 01, 2013
Ah ha! Jus dis? Was expecting lyk 4 chapters. Jus jokin and dis is bcuming more interestin... I go dae follow follow you...*p square tins*
Re: Remember Me by Wesslier(m): 4:52pm On Aug 01, 2013
"Are you actually walking me home?" Anabel asked with a quizzical expression on her pretty face as they both walked down the road from the school compound. The sun was now brightly dominating the sky. There was not even a slight trace of the pregnant cloud again.
"Do I look like am bluffing" Jake replied, adjusting his hands in his pocket as he walked.
"Am now sure you are a typical Nigerian who answers a question with a question."
" And you are an inquisitor" Jake said with a grin.
"So you finally have learnt how to talk from that Morris guy, that's wonderful." They were silent for a while before Jake spoke again.
"Hope you 'll be coming for the excursion? Its gonna be fun."
"I'm not coming, though i wish i could."
"why not if i may ask?"
Anabel shrugged as she managed to keep pace with the tall fellow she was walking with. How was she going to tell her mom about the excursion when she knew to well that the money will not be given to her for an excursion which is regarded as mare pleasure. Her mother had once told her that "pain comes before pleasure" and this excursion was totally a pleasure she can't afford. Things would have been far more different if only her father was alive.
"I can't afford the money." she said bluntly. Jake flashed a sharp look at her.
"why not tell your parents at least before concluding for them?"
"My dad is dead" she said coldly and her voice melancholic.
"oops! Am so sorry " he said, trying hard to hide his feelings.
"By the way where is your friend?" she asked.
"Morris should be in the pitch running after a leather ball, well am going to see him tomorrow, he said he 'll coming over to my house. Do u have any message for him?"
"No just asking. That's my compound over there" she said pointing towards a black gate.
"You live pretty close to school"
"Yeah, hope you are coming in? " she asked half wishing he refuse.
"Nope, not today. I wanna rush home and join my mom to pick my big brother. He's coming from south Africa today"
"That's very nice, say me well to him and do have a nice weekend." They both stood,waiting for his next action.
"I 'll do just that" he said as flagged a commercial cyclist. He gave the cyclist his coordinate and sat behind the cyclist as he zoomed off.
"Bye!" he heard as the bike dragged on along the road. He raised his hand over his head and waved her with his back turned to her. As soon as the bike was out of sight she turned and walked towards the compound. Her mind quickly flashed no the day her father had died. Hot tears clouded her eyes and her vision became blurred but just like the bright sun which had over taken the once inky cloud that afternoon, the thought of Jake and the sense of having a friend brought smile to her face. As she opened the door, the smile drifted away from her face.
"Mummy!" she screamed.
Re: Remember Me by Wesslier(m): 9:14pm On Aug 01, 2013
elyna: you're doing a good job,keep it up.
Tnks dear... U rily av been helpful...
Re: Remember Me by Wesslier(m): 9:18pm On Aug 01, 2013
SPLENDIDFLOZZY: Ah ha! Jus dis? Was expecting lyk 4 chapters. Jus jokin and dis is bcuming more interestin... I go dae follow follow you...*p square tins*
I was busy wid smtin datz why i'm kinda slow. Mean while i rily appreciate ur comment. Tnks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

My Son My Man- A Story / My Feud With Akwaeke Emezi - Chimamanda Adichie Tells Her Side Of The Story / The Consequences of Rape - By Classcaptain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.