Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,902 members, 7,806,635 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:31 PM

Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores (36197 Views)

Meet The 'controversial' MBAISE People Of Imo State / Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today / The Tortoise And The Snake - A Yoruuba Folk Tale [contrast To America's Tale] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by echelon(m): 5:27pm On Aug 08, 2008
…There is this story we were told when younger.

A certain farmer in a certain village met and married a girl called Ekwutosi.
The farmer is a hardworking man and quite prosperous by local standards. Very early in the morning every day, he would rise and take up his hoe and matchet and set out for the farm. Ekwutosi would refuse to go to the farm with her husband arguing a lot that in their own house, she was never allowed to do any house work and so, she could not start then. Initially, the farmer would leave her alone, probably because the “love cloud” is still covering his head. Within weeks, the excitement of the marriage ceremony wore off and the farmer decided he could no longer tolerate his wife’s attitude to farm work.

He was very angry and scolded the wife often. It happened that immediately he started scolding her, she would answer back in high-tempered voice. Whenever this happened, the man would get close to her and give her a thorough beating. This went on for some weeks until the man threatened he would send her packing to her people. On hearing this, she was confused and went to her father’s house to narrate her ordeals to her father.

Her father, who is a native doctor, welcomed her and asked how she was faring. She broke down crying and narrated to the father how the husband had been beating her. The father consoled her and promised to prepare a medicine for her that would help her stop the husband from beating her.

When she was about to leave, the father gave her a concoction in a little calabash and gave some instructions on use. She was to pour some of the mixture in her mouth and maintain it there without spilling anytime the husband started scolding her. She was to carry the mixture in her mouth for the whole duration of the scolding and was to spit it out only when the husband stopped scolding. She thanked the father and left for her husband’s house.

She got back home and continued living with the husband as usual but this time whenever the husband scolded, she did what the father instructed. This went on for three whole months until the mixture in the calabash finished. During this duration, the husband never laid a finger on her.

Impressed with the “seeming effectiveness” of the concoction, she visited her father once again to fill the calabash for her. On seeing his daughter, the father asked her how she was faring. She sounded very happy and told the father that the mixture had been very effective. She told him that she had come so that he may give her some more.

On hearing this, the father laughed out aloud and told her that the calabash contained nothing but “kai kai” (whiskey). He explained that the husband refrained from beating her because she could not reply once the fluid was in her mouth. On hearing this, she was crest-fallen and told the father she had learned her lessons.

She went back home and lived happily ever after with the husband.

MORAL: For the ladies, both married and yet-to-be-married, you can literally control your man by how you address him.
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by ifyalways(f): 7:07pm On Aug 08, 2008
LOL
thank heavens say na Ekwutosi be her name cheesy
Ekwyyyyyyyyy tongue
nice story cool
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by rubi(f): 7:35pm On Aug 08, 2008
Eche nice story.
Ndi igbo si na nwanyi ekpebiela i pu na nke di ya ma were zie na di ya tiri ya ihe gbapu
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by rubi(f): 7:51pm On Aug 08, 2008
I love this thread I hope it will continue with the good spirit it has

smiley cheesy cool to eche for initiating this thread
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by ifyalways(f): 7:19pm On Aug 13, 2008
ewo ! ! ! wheres everybody

[i]udara mu too,nda
too,too,too,nda
nwanye nna mu,nda
zuta utaba na ahia,nda
racha racha racha,nda
rachapu nwa enwe nne,nda
rachapu nwa enwe nna,nda cry cry cry cry cry[/i
whos going to tell us this story?
Udara erhm,Yorubas call it "agbalumo" and the Orphan sad sad
brb tongue
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by ifyalways(f): 6:57am On Aug 14, 2008
You guys better bring back your asses hia  cheesy
    THE ORPHAN GIRL AND THE WICKED STEP MUM  sad
  once upon a time in the land of  Asiri  cheesy there was one man,Mr Onukwube that was married to two wives,the first wife,obidiya had no child while the second Omalicha had a very pretty daughter called Olanma.Onukwube dotted on Olanma not just because shes an only child but also because shes very pretty,intelligent and respectful while on the other hand Obidiya dislikes her with a passion.
Obidiya's desire daily is to hurt either Olanma or her mum Omalicha.she had her way one day,Olanma was preparing an evening meal for her daughter and herself one day and mid-way into the food preparation,she found out that shes got no salt left.the mkts are closed,shes left with no choice than to go ask Obidiya for some.Obidiya was happy when she came calling to her for salt.ihe o na acho na uko elu kemgbe a proverb,what an opportunity ! .she asked Omalicha to wait while she go get the salt.Safe in her kitchen,she brought some otapiapia and mixed it with the salt till she obtained a fine mixture and with a smile offered it to Omalicha.Omalicha acepted it with thanks and gratitude and used it. sad
  Omalicha as expected,died after cooking with Obidiyas salt/Otapiapia   cry  cry  cryBut quite suprisinly nothing happened to Olannma.shes a destiny child.After the burial,Onukwube just cudnt bring himself to come to terms that Omalicha his beloved wife is no more,he cudnt accept it and just after 3 moons after Omalichas death,he too died.Peacefuuly in his sleep. sad Olanma was then left with Obidiya.What a life of suffering and misery it was to her.  cry cry cry cry

now am crying   cry cry i can't go on with this story  cry not now  cry cry

LOL,to be contd  cheesy
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by echelon(m): 2:36pm On Aug 14, 2008
Hmmm that story!  cheesy

It's even in one of the primary shool english texts. We are waiting…

I'll type more stories soon…
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by nwakaibe(m): 12:51pm On Aug 15, 2008
Igbo kwenu, ekene kwam unu. I am still owing the third part of my story. I still have many Mbediogu stories including a story where he died.
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by MrCrackles(m): 12:55pm On Aug 15, 2008
igbo kwenu!

what is the meaning of mbediogu?!lol
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by rubi(f): 6:17pm On Aug 15, 2008
Mbediogu means tortoise
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by ifyalways(f): 11:29pm On Aug 15, 2008
Echelon,Nwakaibe,Rubi na brash kiss akukuo ebidokwana ozo cheesy
continuation :
Olanma became a housegirl in her fathers house.she cooked,went to the stream,the farm,did everything for her step-mum,Obidiya but all she got in return was wickedness and maltreats.she was under fed and she even sleeps outside the house.
One day,Obidiya went to the mkt and bought udara(igbo),agbalumo(yourba) cherry(english) .she ate all and gave Olanma the seeds to throw away.Olanma decided to plant the udara seeds besides her late mums grave cos her mum loved udara.
Every day,when shes through with her household chores,whe wud go to the late mums grave,where she planted the udara to sing sad .
udara mu too
refrain:nda
too,too too
nda
nwanye nna mu o
nda
gote udara na ahia
nda
racha racha racha
nda
rachapu nwa enwe nne,rachapu nwa enwe nna
nnem na nna m,unu nyere m aka cry cry cry cry

she kept singing daily at the trunk of the udara and the udara kept growing and producing.All these while,the wicked step mum never heard her singing nor have an idea that she planted the udara seeds.when the udara was fully ripe and ready for consumption,she plucked some of it and when to the mkt to sell.Luckily for her,one of the kings servants bought the udara from her for the king cos it was very fresh and looked sweet.
The king ate the udara and fell in love with Olanma.He asked the servants for the source of the udara and they told him that it was a beautiful single orphan gal that sold it.The king gave a command that Olanma be briought to the palace and be made his wife,the queen. tongue Olanma was brought to the palace and was made the Kings wife cheesy cheesy cheesy
and she lived happily ever after . grin grin grin dont even ask me abt the step mum cos i dont know what happened to her,lol
Oya tell me,what are the morals of the story?
1,Udara/agbalumo is good cheesy
2,Udara/agbalumo/cherry planted beside the grave brings good fortune and luck. cheesy cheesy cheesy
3,Patience and endurance pays.
4,Good wud always triumph over evil. cool
4,wickedness no gooood oh .
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by rubi(f): 2:53pm On Aug 18, 2008
@ify another morals is the young shall grow
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by echelon(m): 8:02am On Aug 19, 2008
Ify deeje!

The following story is a sequel to Tortoise and A Grain of Maize…

Tortoise’s Debt To The Leopard

The tortoise dwelt in that foreign land for some time, periodically sending food to his family back home for their sustenance during the famine.
Tortoise, however, was not able to keep out of treachery for long. Before long, the people grew tired of him and mandated the King to either send the tortoise away or abdicate the throne. In this way, the tortoise was sent packing…

When he got to his town, there was virtually nothing in his house. He thought and thought what he would do but came to nothing. Finally, an idea came to his crooked mind. Very early the next morning, mbe nwuru okwa n’aka the tortoise visited the hunter and begged him to lend him twenty cowries, that he’ll pay back twenty –five cowries three weeks into the new month. The hunter, being a kind-hearted man, lent him the money and said to himself, “Since there is nothing I’m doing with this money, let me lend it to the tortoise for twenty-five cowries is a lot of money” *thinking of the gain he'll be making*

The tortoise immediately collected the money and went and kept it in his house. He left his house at once and approached the leopard. He implored the leopard to lend him ten cowries, promising to pay him back twenty cowries three weeks into the new month. The leopard, thinking of the 100% return he’ll soon make on his money, immediately accepted. He went into his house and counted ten cowries and gave the tortoise and told the tortoise thus: “The voice that was used to borrow money let it be used when paying back”. On hearing this, the tortoise calmed the leopard and told him he had nothing to worry about.

The tortoise crawled back to his house. A cunning thought came into his mind. He was not yet satisfied with the money he had borrowed. He rushed to the fox and said, “Brother, when something itches an animal, he goes to the tree trunk to scratch but when something itches a human being, he approaches a fellow human to scratch him; that’s why I’ve come so that you will lend me six cowries.” Imagine: the tortoise is now a human being and no longer an animal *shakes head*
The fox went inside the house and brought some dried chicken meat want some? (he never lacked chicken) and they had breakfast. After the meal, the fox went into the house and brought ten cowries for the tortoise. On seeing that the amount was more than he requested for, the tortoise asked the fox what the catch was. He would not even allow the fox to explain before he volunteered to pay back two cowries on top as interest. This he suggested bearing in mind that the day he told the hunter to come and collect his money was almost at hand. Before leaving the fox’s house, the tortoise told him to come on that same day he asked the hunter and the leopard to come for their monies. He also went to the chicken and the termite and borrowed money from them, asking them to come to his house for their monies on that same day. Now I smell something…

On the D-day, the tortoise went and hid in an inconspicuous part of his house where he had an unobstructed view of his front yard.
Before long, the termite came along and stood, waiting for the tortoise. Seconds later, the chicken came around, saw the termite, pecked at and swallowed the termite and stood waiting for the tortoise. Minutes later the fox came around. On sighting the fox, the chicken wanted to run away but the fox was way too fast for it. Just a short dash was all it took for the fox to have the chicken in its mouth, munching away at a heavenly-provided lunch. The fox, feeling sleepy from a heavy lunch, lay down and started his own wait for the tortoise.

Meanwhile, our hero was having a hell of a good time watching a live “animal channel” show. Before you can say “Jack Robinson”, the leopard surfaced, caught the fox and killed it. The leopard hadn’t fully settled for it’s own lunch when the hunter came in for his own money. On sighting the leopard, the hunter immediately took aim and shot the leopard. The leopard followed the scent of the gun powder and got on the hunter and mauled him before finally falling dead to the ground.
The tortoise slowly crept out of his hiding place and carried the corpses to his kitchen to prepare for his own lunch.

MORAL: I guess there is a need to think through any investment that produces fabulous returns like making 100% on your money in 3 weeks.
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by ifyalways(f): 1:02am On Dec 03, 2008
tehehe
i had to resurrect Mbe cheesy
he has to enjoy ekeresimesi with us.
grin
wheres everybody? angry angry
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by echelon(m): 7:24pm On Dec 03, 2008
hee hee

Hope you can sustain him o.
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by ezeagu(m): 7:58pm On Dec 03, 2008
Apparently, the story of the tortoise and the birds is about colonialism.
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by henry101(m): 3:54am On Feb 25, 2010
Pls post more stories abt d tortoise.
Am waitin o.
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by ukotmi: 7:11pm On Mar 05, 2010
wetin Mbe do una sef. make una allow the poor animal rest grin grin
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by nwakaibe(m): 7:24pm On Mar 05, 2010
Part 3
Mbe follows Nkita to wrestling fair
How time flies. But I must finish this story. wink wink wink
On their way home, Mbe was scheming how to use tricks to snatch all the Mkpi won by Nkita. His bag is never short of tricks. At the usual place of rest, that is where they break their journey to refresh themselves, tethered all the he-goats he won and went to rest. He took his lunch and lay under the tree shade to have a nap. Mbe used his sharpened cutlass to kill the sickly mkpi he won and roasted the meat. Being a greedy fellow, he had his full, tied up the remaining meat in a parcel and offered the goat’s ear to Nkita. Mbe said the meat is a token of love and appreciation for the mercies Nkita showed him by rescuing him from sure death.
Nkita fully aware of Mbe and his tricks placed the goat’s ear in a corner of his mouth. He kept moving his jaws as if he was chewing the meat. Then, they broke camp and in the company of other animals who went to the competition headed home. Along the way, Mbe demanded that Nkita give him back the goat ear he offered him. Nkita quickly spat out the goat ear and handed over to him. Mbe chided Nkita for not eating the meat saying that he was only joking, that he wasn’t serious with the demand. He laughed and told others that nkita was behaving like a little child. Nkita agreed to eat the meat but still hid in a corner of his mouth. About half way to the end of the journey, mbe demanded for the demand again. Nkita brought it out again and gave him. Mbe laughed and said nkita is taking it too far. Other animals in their midst pleaded with Nkita to eat the meat, that Mbe was joking. Nkita still placed the meat in a corner of his mouth and they continued their journey.
Now, they reached a small river separating the animal kingdom from the human kingdom. Here, the animals always take a bath to watch off all contamination from interacting with human beings. Mbe told Nkita in the spirit of their new found friendship, they should scoop water and pour in each others mouth. They did this and Mbe used the water to flush the meat down Nkita’s throat. When they finished taking their bath and crossed the river, mbe began to demand for his goat ear again. Nkita kept quite. As they entered the animal kingdom, Mbe started weeping telling everybody that Nkita has eaten his meat. He insisted on having all Nkita’s Mkpi as a replacement. The elders after listening to their defense advised Nkita to hand over all the goats to Mbe. Now that he achieved his aim, he began to boast and gloat how he as a champion wrestler won several goats at the wrestling fair.

Ify, nwanne m nwanyi, I don land again. what a long time!!!
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by ifyalways(f): 7:02pm On Mar 07, 2010
haaaaaaaaaa cheesy
Nwakaibe ya,u went and dug out this thread? shocked anyway its all good.
ukotmi:

wetin Mbe do una sef. make una allow the poor animal rest grin grin
Ikomi? angry angry angry
Okuko igbo cheesy
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by Asakel(m): 7:09am On Aug 28, 2014
And then.......it ended here. :-(
*THE END*
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by stephmiracle: 7:17am On Mar 01, 2019
I was just googling to find out more Igbo folk tales books and I found this thread and wasn't surprised to find out that our awesome glam ma @ifyalways is also part of the people championing this cause of Igbo folk tales and culture. Well done ma

Bikonu, who can suggest books that has collection of Igbo folk tales? I want to go to the market to source for them. The only one I have is OMALINZE
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by echelon(m): 5:55pm On Aug 19, 2022
stephmiracle:
I was just googling to find out more Igbo folk tales books and I found this thread and wasn't surprised to find out that our awesome glam ma @ifyalways is also part of the people championing this cause of Igbo folk tales and culture. Well done ma

Bikonu, who can suggest books that has collection of Igbo folk tales? I want to go to the market to source for them. The only one I have is OMALINZE

There’s a book whose title is the subject of this thread.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Body Of Olubadan Saliu Adetunji Arrives Palace, To Be Buried Today (Video, Photo / Ooni Ogunwusi Hosts Eze Chukwuemeka Eri / Oba Taofeek Fatusi Obawole Installs Young Man As Chief In Texas, USA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.