Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,650 members, 7,801,896 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:23 AM

Things Web Developers Must Achieve - Webmasters (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Things Web Developers Must Achieve (6783 Views)

Salient Tips All Web Developers Must Know / What Will You Want To Achieve In 2014 As A Web Programmer? / Web Developers Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things Web Developers Must Achieve by Nobody: 10:08am On Aug 01, 2013
cannonnier:
5 weeks.
Do you know the costs?

I don't. The CEO is a friend on the webmasters' board. You can contact them directly to confirm.
Re: Things Web Developers Must Achieve by cannonnier(m): 10:41am On Aug 01, 2013
yorme:

I don't. The CEO is a friend on the webmasters' board. You can contact them directly to confirm.
should i goto the webmasters and create a thread or is there any better way to contact him.
Re: Things Web Developers Must Achieve by cannonnier(m): 10:45am On Aug 01, 2013
yorme:

Re: Things Web Developers Must Achieve by Nobody: 10:53am On Aug 01, 2013
^^^Go to the website i gave you, his contact is there (greenmousetech.com) or you can use the method u stated.
Re: Things Web Developers Must Achieve by teemy(m): 8:08am On Aug 04, 2013
okeyxyz: @OP obviously knows nothing about the industry or art of web-developing. He simply makes a list of his fantasies, and then declares them to be achievements/standards by which web developers are measured. Also all the people who have praised this list so far have no idea what web developing is about. There are thousands of accomplished and prospering web-developers who have no interest(yes, they are interests, not skills) in any of the items mentioned in this funny list.

Try to know a little bit about someone before you judge and in this case you really made a mistake of picking on the wrong guy. Check out Graphicsplus' posts and started threads and I am sure you will end up saying 'Sorry Sir'.

pak:

Thanks.

When most young developers get to the field. They will experience what I call a realignment of priorities.

The OP still seem to be clinging to 'schoolboy ideals'

That my dear will comes if you are yet to get your edge on webspace. You only give what you have and easier done when you feel grateful to all those that helped you get to where you are and the need to 'give back to the society' comes up.
Re: Things Web Developers Must Achieve by okeyxyz(m): 6:42pm On Aug 04, 2013
teemy:
Try to know a little bit about someone before you judge and in this case you really made a mistake of picking on the wrong guy. Check out Graphicsplus' posts and started threads and I am sure you will end up saying 'Sorry Sir'.

I don't need to know anything more about the poster besides the opinions he had categorically expressed in OP, which is silly to say the least. What he is saying is that any developer who does not have the same interests as himself(as listed in the OP), then such a person cannot be regarded as a genuine(if at all) web-deveoper. Like I said before: That list is a set of interests, not a set of skills. Nobody gives you a degree, a qualification or employment based on your interests, rather it is based on your skills. Your interests might make people like you but it is not the core abilities by which you are rated in any industry. This is why the list is silly.
Re: Things Web Developers Must Achieve by GraphicsPlus(m): 6:58pm On Aug 04, 2013
okeyxyz: I don't need to know anything more about the poster besides the opinions he had categorically expressed in OP, which is silly to say the least. What he is saying is that any developer who does not have the same interests as himself(as listed in the OP), then such a person cannot be regarded as a genuine(if at all) web-deveoper. Like I said before: That list is a set of interests, not a set of skills. Nobody gives you a degree, a qualification or employment based on your interests, rather it is based on your skills. Your interests might make people like you but it is not the core abilities by which you are rated in any industry. This is why the list is silly.

Thank you for at least reading through my silly list.

You may notice that all over the world, any known web developer has done one or more things in the list. The list is not made up of set of skills as you said, neither is the list made up of interests. There is only one skill here: Web Application Development. If you have this SKILL, you will in one way or another in the course of your career achieve one or more of these achievements in the list. The list is made up of achievements which every web developer MUST achieve at least one. It's not a choice. As long as you are a web developer and you are in this for life, then you must one day find yourself achieving one of these. I actually thought about them carefully before posting.

Check history. Any web programmer that you know today has achieved one or more things in the list.
Re: Things Web Developers Must Achieve by okeyxyz(m): 8:05pm On Aug 04, 2013
GraphicsPlus:

Thank you for at least reading through my silly list.

You may notice that all over the world, any known web developer has done one or more things in the list. The list is not made up of set of skills as you said, neither is the list made up of interests. There is only one skill here: Web Application Development. If you have this SKILL, you will in one way or another in the course of your career achieve one or more of these achievements in the list. The list is made up of achievements which every web developer MUST achieve at least one. It's not a choice. As long as you are a web developer and you are in this for life, then you must one day find yourself achieving one of these. I actually thought about them carefully before posting.

Check history. Any web programmer that you know today has achieved one or more things in the list.

Many things wrong with this argument. It is inconsistent and does not stand up to critical logic.

First you base your whole argument on well known developers/programmers, that is just a drop in in ocean of programmers that you are using to evaluate a whole industry. It's like saying: "If you don't own a multi-national company, then you are not a business man". Do you even know how many websites there are in the internet today? As at december 2011, there were over 450 million websites on the internet. Are you telling us that it is these few thousand(maybe 5000 max??) well known individuals who have personally implemented these websites? This logic is totally flawed.

And I say it again; that list is a set of interests. People who venture on such projects do so out of personal interests, just like seun had a vision of owning nairaland forum. Not every web deveoper is gonna have such interest or ambition. Most people in any industry are quite content in being the employee and be receiving monthly salaries, but they are very good at what they do and enjoy the position on no risk taking that comes with such positions. Yet you come here telling me they are not web deveopers just because 7 billion people have not heard of them?? Do you have an idea how many smart people work in facebook, google, yahoo and other tech companies worldwide who have not attempted anything on your list? These people are smart, they just don't have vision. simples.

Also, web application development is not a skill as you stated above. It is a work-title. You can have skills(and levels of proficiencies) in programming languages(c++, python, php, etc), server administration, version controls and documentation, testing, database design and administration, etc.

You started off by saying every web developer must achieve at least three from the list. Now you have back tracked by saying they must achieve at least one. This still boils down to your inconsistency, showing that you did not carefully think about the list before posting them here.

Lastly, you round-up by saying: as long as one is a web developer and he is in it for life. Really, So if I'm not in this for life and thus not achieving anything on the list, then I cannot be called a web developer? Why must anybody do the same thing for the rest of his life? So if I'd spent the last 10 years doing web development and decide to move on to other things, say management for example, then I was never a web developer?? I bow for this your logic oo.

2 Likes

Re: Things Web Developers Must Achieve by GraphicsPlus(m): 8:53pm On Aug 04, 2013
Sorry. I didn't mean employees. I mean entrepreneurs. Yet, even as an employee, you must achieve at least one of the achievements. Check the list again. But if you are an entrepreneur like me, then you must achieve at least 3. So when I said 3, I didnt mean both employees and entrepreneurs. Yet I didn't say every web developer must achieve 3. Read my post again. I said at least should. The should means that even if a web developer didn't achieve up to 3, he's still an achiever.

Most people that work in facebook and microsoft and google and so on have a way of giving back to the community. Check http://www.kirupa.com. He's an Indian that works with Microsoft. He has written a book on programming. The website is full of tons of tutorials. He has achieved more than one of the achievements listed above. He has authored a book and he has developed a robust tutorial website.

So even if you are an employee, which is not a bad thing because everybody will not have to be an entrepreneur, you must find a way of giving back to the community. If you check the achievements, one or none is self-centered. Most of them will not even make the developer any income, but he will end up changing lives in this industry.

Web Application Development is a skill. C++, python and php are languages or tools you have. If someone ask you what is your skill, you cant say my skill is php. You will say web development. When he asks you the platform you use, you can then say php. What is skill? Skill is an ability and capacity acquired through deliberate, systematic, and sustained effort and training. However, I understand that tools or languages go hand in hand with what you do with the tools. You are web application developer that uses php or python. So one can say to be skilled in web development or mobile development. One can also be said to be skilled in php or python.

If you are not in this industry for life, you may not worry yourself achieving any of the achievements. But if you are in this, I tell you, you must achieve at least three from this list. Nobody will even push you. You will see it as a necessity to give back to the community and touch lives. Somebody like Chris Coyier who created http://www.codepen.io and the Gregg Pollack who created http://www.codeschool.com are doing these things for fun, yet these applications are great achievements.

So get my point, I am not saying that if every web developer did not achieve the things on the list, he will be seen as a failure. Far from it. But my point is if you continue in this industry, and you know your game, you will be compelled by yourself to give something robust to the web development community.

As I write this right now, somebody is figuring out how to give us another ground breaking php framework. Somebody is trying to develop another python framework. Somebody is thinking of developing a complete video tutorial on web development that will cover everything about html, css, javascript (jquery, ajax, json, angularJs), php (codeigniter, laravel), mysql, ui/ux, responsive design, and call it: WEB DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT: From Start to Finish and then offer it for free of charge or at a small fee.

People have given us awesome applications and most of them are free. Think of sass, compass, haml, node.js, backbone.js, in fact go here: http://www.javascriptoo.com and see more than 100 javascript projects that guys have developed. You can bookmark the website.
Re: Things Web Developers Must Achieve by GraphicsPlus(m): 9:55pm On Aug 04, 2013
Let me break these things up for us to understand.

1. Develop a robust web application that will continue to make you money for years.
Yes, if you are an entrepreneur or just a freelancer or even an employee, you can develop a robust web application that will be a goldmine for years. Applications like: http://www.freshbooks.com and http://www.wufoo.com and https://www.heroku.com

2. Be invited to speak at a web design conference in America or Europe or host one in Africa.
Yes, it's an achievement. When you are known in the web design and development industry as someone that has something to offer, and you are invited to share your experiences and expertise in a conference, then you have reached a certain peak in this industry. When I said America or Europe, it's because they are leading in this industry. It will be a great honour and achievement to speak at conferences like: http://www.convergese.com and http://www.aneventapart.com and http://www.takeoffconf.com and http://www.thenextweb.com/conference Or you host one in Africa and bring down some of these great guys in this industry to speak.

3. Develop an opensource web application that will be used widely.
Yes, if you do number 1 and you don't want to make money from it, then you can make it an opensource. It's an achievement.

4. Write a ground-breaking book on the art of web design and development.
There are tons of books on subjects of web design and development out there. Yet, people are still writing books on this industry. Why? Because this industry keeps evolving. If you reach certain level in your career, and you think you can write a ground-breaking book on any subject in web design and development and you have company like sitepoint.com to publish it, then you have really achieved something.

5. Develop at least 50 wordpress or drupal or joomla or expressionengine themes and make them available for download.
Yes, you can develop themes for these CMSs from scratch and make them available for download. The themes will be elegant and responsive. You will just put them up for free download. That is a great achievement.

6. Develop a new framework of any language you are proficient in.
Yes, you can develop a php framework that has something new and spectacular to offer, which php frameworks on ground dont offer. You can develop a ruby framework. You can develop another javascript framework.

7. Develop a widely used plugin for Wordpress or any other CMS.
There are tons of plugins for CMSs especially WP. But if you think deeply and check well, you may discover that there are plugins still needed to be developed. If you can find out and actually develop one and it's widely used, you have ended up achieving something.

8. Develop an opensource application that will force Nigerian government to honour you. Like developing a language translation application for English to Hausa or Igbo or Yoruba or Nupe. And then Hausa to Yoruba, Hausa to Igbo, Igbo to Yoruba, Igbo to Hausa, Yoruba to Hausa, Yoruba to Igbo and so on.
This is a daunting task. This is not just an achievement, but a milestone achievement. It will take time and resources. But if you can do it, you will never be forgotten. That is a great achievement. You will be given an OON.

9. Develop a comprehensive quality video tutorial from html to advanced php and provide it for free download. Or be doing a weekly podcast or screencast on web design tips.
Yes. if you can develop a quality video tutorial on web developmet or start a weekly podcast like: http://shoptalkshow.com and http://boagworld.com/show or a weekly screencast like: http://www.youtube.com/gotreehouse, then you have really achieved something.

10. Build a web developers centre where developers can come together and brainstorm and relax.
This will be a resource and brainstorming center. It will have high speed Internet connection. It will have libary full of programming books and videos. It's a great achievement if you can do it.
Re: Things Web Developers Must Achieve by afridigit(m): 6:00pm On Aug 05, 2013
Nice list, but i tell you, your grand children will help you complete it.
Re: Things Web Developers Must Achieve by GraphicsPlus(m): 6:27pm On Aug 05, 2013
afridigit: Nice list, but i tell you, your grand children will help you complete it.

Don't be myopic brother. Who says am pursuing to achieve all of them? Even if one is to achieve all of these, who says he can't achieve them in his life's time?
Re: Things Web Developers Must Achieve by teemy(m): 8:56am On Aug 06, 2013
The thing is without making a conscious effort to achieve the list, by the time you have really progressed in the area of web development you will find out you have actually accomplished something there. If you learned the same way most have learned from here and there, one day it comes popping into your head to do same for others. Am I wrong okeyxyz?
Re: Things Web Developers Must Achieve by Crisnite(m): 10:26am On Aug 07, 2013
@graphicsplus, I wld like to 'correct' some issues in ur counter-arguements especially d last 1. @Okeyxyz neva said C++ or PHP were skills bt dt 1 can be skilled in programming languages like C++, PHP etc n also hv a varying degree of proficiency in such languages. Also d speed wit which u shift (sway) wit evry counter-arguement makes 1 doubt d authenticity behind ur said SKILLS/ACHIEMENTS....
If u look closely u will see dt d point @Okeyxyz is trying to make is a valid one. Example, jst because Mark Zuckerberg is speakin in conferences all over d world doesn't mean he is more skilled than some web developers in his employ. Therefore ur list is not a set of skills bt rather a noble interest dey shd set out to achieve bt its nt evry1 dat is dat ambitious so it can't b a MUST.
I greatly admire n respect ur work on dis forum bt my humble opinion here is dat u knw d truth dat @okeyxyz is making bt u hv gotten too big to b corrected.
I will go wit @okeyxyz on dis 1.
Re: Things Web Developers Must Achieve by Crisnite(m): 10:33am On Aug 07, 2013
^^^^^^CAVEAT: the above comments are the humble opinion of a NL bystander and not those of a webmaster. So I still stand to be corrected in any case. Thanks.
Re: Things Web Developers Must Achieve by GraphicsPlus(m): 11:37am On Aug 07, 2013
^^You are indeed a bystander. And so u have no idea of what you are talking about. The things I listed, did I say they are skills? Did I say if you are speaking at conferences that you are more skillful than every web developer. Dont make blind argument.

I said that out of the list of achievements, every web developer must achiever at least 3. As long as you are in this for life, you will end up achieving even more than three. Nobody will even compel you. You will push yourself to achieve some of those things. If you know your game and you contribute to the community, you will be asked to come and speak in a conference.

But if a web developer did not achieve any of them, he's not a failure. It's just that he did not achieve any of the ten achievements listed, which means he in one way or another achieved other things that are not listed. The list is not exhaustive.
Re: Things Web Developers Must Achieve by Crisnite(m): 7:53am On Aug 08, 2013
NOTED!!!!
Let's move on to the next profitable thing. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Meet One Of The Youngest Bloggers (join Young Bloggers Forum) / My Blogging Story...The Beauty In Creativity. / Balancing School And Blogging.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.