Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,013 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:24 AM

Building Collapse:Causes, Prevention And Remedies - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Building Collapse:Causes, Prevention And Remedies (23195 Views)

Woman And Her Baby Die In Lekki Building Collapse / Photos From The Building Collapse In Lekki, Lagos This Morning / Photos From The Building Collapse In Isheri-Magodo, Lagos In The Morning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Building Collapse:Causes, Prevention And Remedies by Nobody: 10:29pm On Jul 29, 2013
Due to the Incessant collapse of Buildings in Nigeria.
I have decided to open a thread on the Collapse of Buildings.
Everyone can contribute to the causes of Collapse, how to prevent Collapse and remedies to Building Collpase.
Will post my Contributions Tomorrow.
Re: Building Collapse:Causes, Prevention And Remedies by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jul 29, 2013
Keep them coming
Re: Building Collapse:Causes, Prevention And Remedies by Nobody: 8:46am On Jul 30, 2013
Collapsed Buildings occur as a result of shoddy work and usage of poor quality Building materials as consequent of Employment of Non- Professionals to perform the Management of Building Processes.

Building Collapse could be prevented if Builders' are employed to manage Construction site, Control usage and Quality of Building Materials, Manpower, Machineries and Money.

2 Likes

Re: Building Collapse:Causes, Prevention And Remedies by Nobody: 9:01am On Jul 30, 2013
What is your take on this?
Re: Building Collapse:Causes, Prevention And Remedies by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jul 31, 2013
Hello all
Re: Building Collapse:Causes, Prevention And Remedies by Nobody: 10:45am On Aug 07, 2013
Happy sallah in advance
Re: Building Collapse:Causes, Prevention And Remedies by Nobody: 7:27am On Aug 08, 2013
Happy ramadan to all
Re: Building Collapse:Causes, Prevention And Remedies by Nobody: 7:27am On Aug 08, 2013
Happy ramadan celebration to all
Re: Building Collapse:Causes, Prevention And Remedies by Nobody: 10:12pm On Aug 27, 2013
Ur comments and contributions r welcome
Re: Building Collapse:Causes, Prevention And Remedies by Nobody: 9:36pm On Aug 28, 2013
Collapse building in abuja
Re: Building Collapse:Causes, Prevention And Remedies by Nobody: 9:41pm On Aug 28, 2013
Two people were feared dead in a building collapse, Tuesday, in Abuja while another person was critically injured and receiving treatment in the hospital.
According to Information Officer of National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA, Mr. Sani Datti, three people were casting concrete at an uncompleted building behind Dunes Plaza in Maitaima, Abuja, when suddenly the concrete collapsed and trapped them.
After the relevant emergency agencies rescued thetrapped workers, two people were feared dead and one person was critically injured and was rushed to the hospital.
The two people that died are Hamza and Friday, while Ganiyu Akande who was critically injured had been taken to the hospital
Re: Building Collapse:Causes, Prevention And Remedies by Nobody: 10:59am On Aug 31, 2013
Happy weekend to all
Re: Building Collapse:Causes, Prevention And Remedies by damola311: 1:46pm On Nov 22, 2013
Thank God i didn't read d topic content before commenting....... FTC
The power of full stop
Re: Building Collapse:Causes, Prevention And Remedies by nairaman66(m): 1:47pm On Nov 22, 2013
C
Re: Building Collapse:Causes, Prevention And Remedies by Nobody: 2:07pm On Nov 22, 2013
Keep them coming
Re: Building Collapse:Causes, Prevention And Remedies by Adesam09(m): 2:08pm On Nov 22, 2013
Ok
Re: Building Collapse:Causes, Prevention And Remedies by Nobody: 2:10pm On Nov 22, 2013
Thank God i made front page
Re: Building Collapse:Causes, Prevention And Remedies by Nobody: 2:13pm On Nov 22, 2013
Consult a professional Builder.
Consult :
Bldr. Ajose Samuel
07035596641, 08178706641
email: samuelajoseengineers@gmail.com
ajosesegun2011@gmail.com
Re: Building Collapse:Causes, Prevention And Remedies by Nobody: 2:15pm On Nov 22, 2013
Re: Building Collapse:Causes, Prevention And Remedies by Nobody: 2:39pm On Nov 22, 2013
[b]1. Hiring Quacks...Ive seen many folks here, claiming to be professionals, dishing out quotes thinking that is all it entails. Building is serious. You think those bungalows you are designing qualifies you as a professional? Wait...can bungalows collapse?

2. Managing materials: When building any high rising structure, don't manage. Use the right amount of materials, and please, use quality.

3. Understanding reinforcement/foundation: you need to know that there is a world of difference between pile, pad, raft foundations, and a 3 inches concrete foundation used for bungalows. An excellent structure wont sit on a faulty foundation.

4. Use the right steel: last year, I saw a story building, sitting on pillars and beams which are casted with 12mm steel. The owner, is planning to raise it higher: one more floor. I told if it doesn't collapse, I would pay him 100k when he's thru. A week later, when the 2nd decking wood work was been done, the whole thing came down. I didn't lose my 100k! There is a big difference between 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 16mm, 20mm, and 100mm. The professionals know.

5. Using the right Concrete mix ratio when doing your reinforcement: A bag of cement has a particular qty of granite and stone you could mix it when when doing a raft. The mixture is different when doing a pile, different when doing hollow-core, different when building a bungalow....different when doing a decking or beam, or pillar. Know the right mix. I wont tell you, hire me!

6. Siting the soak-away close to the foundation: there is a reason its called shyt! Its horrible, and if your foundations are close to the pit or soak-away, your house MUST collapse. Why: its a simple math: iron(III) oxides Fe2O3·nH2O and iron(III) oxide-hydroxide FeO(OH)·Fe(OH)3. The engineers understand me. The layman can google: iron oxidization.

7. Failure to follow the books: if you fail to adhere to recommended and approved plans and specifications, you may not get away with it. When building, follow the books. Don't seek quick fix or shortcuts. It always backfire.

8. Understanding Loads/Weights: from engineering perspective, buildings, like all structures, are designed to support certain loads without deforming excessively. The loads are the weights of people, wind, furniture, rain and other objects occupying the structure referred to as live loads, and the weight of the building itself, also referred to as dead loads. Can a layman consider this when trying to build using 'experience'? Nigerians!

9. Poor Structural design and building plan: some plans look excellent on the paper, and your engineer might be afraid to tell how about implementing it might backfire. You need to plan everything buttons up, and top-down.

10. Excessive alternation: don't change the plan too much during construction process. 'I want the bedroom bigger. No the kitchen should be here, not there. Can this foundation take one more floor?' Greed has its uses, but often deadly.

your building. And please Nairalanders, I hate inquiries. Call me ONLY when your ready!

[/b]

4 Likes

Re: Building Collapse:Causes, Prevention And Remedies by Nobody: 2:46pm On Nov 22, 2013
aasog1: 1. Hiring Quacks...Ive seen many folks here, claiming to be professionals, dishing out quotes thinking that is all it entails.
2. Managing materials: When building any high rising structure, dont manage. Use the right amount of materials, and please, use quality.
3. Understanding reinforcement/foundation: you need to know that there is a differencen between pile, pad, raft, and a 3 inches concrete foundation used for bungalows. An excellent structure wont sit on a faulty foundation.
4. Use the right steel: last year, I saw a story building, sitting on pillars and beams which are done with 12mm steel. The owner, is planning to raise it higher. I told if it doesnt collapse, I would pay him 100k. A week later, when the 2nd decking wood work was been done, the whole thing came down. I didnt lose my 100k! There is a big difference between 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 16mm, 20mm, and 100mm.
5. Using the right Concrete mix ratio when doing your reinforcement: A bag of cement has a particular qty of granite and stone you could mix it when when doing a raft. The mixture is different when doing a pile, different when doing hollow-core, different when building a bungalow....different when doing a decking or beam, or pillars, know the right mix. I wont tell you, hire me!
6. Siting the soakaway close to the foundation: there is a reason its called shyt! Its horrible, and if your foundations are close to the pit, your house may collapse. Why: its a simple math: iron(III) oxides Fe2O3·nH2O and iron(III) oxide-hydroxide FeO(OH)·Fe(OH)3. The engineers or simple google: iron oxidization.
7. Failure to follow the books: if you fail to adhere recommended and approved plans and specifications. When building, follow the books. Dont seek quick fix or shortcuts. It always backfire.
8. Understanding Loads/Weights: from engineering perspective, buildings, like all structures, are designed to support certain loads without deforming excessively. The loads are the weights of people, wind, furnitures, rain and other objects occupying the structure referred to as live loads, and the weight of the building itself , also referred to as dead loads. Can a layman consider this when trying to build using 'experience'? Nigerians!
9. Poor Structural design and building plan: some plans look excellent on the paper, and your engineer might be afraid to tell how about implementing it. You need to plan everything buttoms up, and top-down.
10. Excessive alternation: dont change the plan too much during construction process. 'I want the bedroom bigger. No the kitchen should be here, not there. Can this foundation take one more floor?' Greed has its uses, but often deadly.

u are right man, keep them coming pls.
Re: Building Collapse:Causes, Prevention And Remedies by agitator: 2:46pm On Nov 22, 2013
Professional aasog1 talking wink wink wink
Re: Building Collapse:Causes, Prevention And Remedies by Nobody: 2:56pm On Nov 22, 2013
segzy14: https://www.nairaland.com/1356601/construction-customary-court-appeal-building#16762434
This is a project i have handled.

bros, longest time. hw business cheesy
Re: Building Collapse:Causes, Prevention And Remedies by Nobody: 3:42pm On Nov 22, 2013
aasog1:

bros, longest time. hw business cheesy

fine ooo
Re: Building Collapse:Causes, Prevention And Remedies by Nobody: 4:23pm On Nov 22, 2013
Let us make this thread lively, comments, contributiions are highly welcome.
Re: Building Collapse:Causes, Prevention And Remedies by Nobody: 4:34pm On Nov 22, 2013
Re: Building Collapse:Causes, Prevention And Remedies by cogsej06(m): 4:44pm On Nov 22, 2013
The major reason is improper or not carrying out a thorough Geotechnical Investigation also known as soil test. With the knowledge of the soil profile n its charecteristics, as well as working / constructting with standard Engineering specifications as in BS British standard, the Use of sound Engineering professionals. If nt, buildings will continue 2 collapse. Shalom!!!
Re: Building Collapse:Causes, Prevention And Remedies by Nobody: 5:39pm On Nov 22, 2013
cogsej06: The major reason is improper or not carrying out a thorough Geotechnical Investigation also known as soil test. With the knowledge of the soil profile n its charecteristics, as well as working / constructting with standard Engineering specifications as in BS British standard, the Use of sound Engineering professionals. If nt, buildings will continue 2 collapse. Shalom!!!

thanks man
Re: Building Collapse:Causes, Prevention And Remedies by brabus(m): 6:55pm On Nov 22, 2013
Houses collapse because we don't do the right thing.

"New construction" or "Quality Construction"

"New" does not technically mean "soundly constructed." High price does not mean high quality.

Unfortunately, in the construction world, "new" doesn't have the same meaning as say, a new car. It only means that no one has lived there yet.

Just because you're spending a lot of money
in your "new house" does not mean you're getting commensurate quality. A N50m house may be loaded with cheap windows, a lousy paint job and leaking roof - if you don't pay attention, you might get a house that's really worth much less than you're paying and even spend more on repairs and maintenance.

Case Study 1: Mr & Mrs Gabby contracted ABC Builders to build their new home. In 4 months, the house was finished and delivered to the client.
To the uttermost dismay of the home owners, the roofs were leaking and they've had to reconstruct the fence wall 2 times in 8 months.

Case Study 2: XYZ Homes had completed new homes in the water-logged swamp down the street. They claim the houses were thoroughly engineered to withstand any condition. 2 years later, some of the houses begin to subside.

A common practice when building in water-logged area (especially areas with high water table) is to do a raft foundation which does NOT GUARANTEE anything.

High water table means the water pressure in
the soil is high and the soil in such area is likely to be weaker.
If the building site is surrounded by areas of
higher ground as in case study 2, the underground water will flow to the site and this may cause pressure beneath the floor slab or increased moisture levels.

It explained the reason why the couple in case study 1 had to reconstruct their fence 2 times in 8 months.

While you can't become an expert in construction overnight, surround yourself with experts who won't be fooled by a bad construction that is disguised with pretty moulding and nice painting.

Speak to the experts!
Re: Building Collapse:Causes, Prevention And Remedies by Nobody: 7:31pm On Nov 22, 2013
Buildings, like all structures, are designed to support certain loads without deforming excessively. The loads are the weights of people and objects, the weight of rain and the pressure of wind--called live loads--and the dead load of the building itself. Any type of building can collapse but multi storey buildings are more prone to catastrophic collapse.
Re: Building Collapse:Causes, Prevention And Remedies by Nobody: 7:33pm On Nov 22, 2013
The causes of structural failure in Nigeria are numerous and can be complex depending on the type and complexity of the structure. According to Folagbade (1997), the inability of the engineer to carry out proper site investigations, inability to calculate design loads accurately, inability to prevent the use of substandard building materials, inability of the engineers/planning authority to have good design layout and inability of the engineers to understand structural analysis and design principles lead to structural failures.
The possible causes of building collapse in Nigeria are listed below:
*.the absence of soil test report;
*.structural designs and details handled by quacks;
*.absence of co-ordination between the professional bodies and the local town planning authority;
*.lack of adherence to specifications by the unqualified and unskilled personnel;
*.poor and bad construction practices;
*.the use of substandard building materials;
*.lack of proper supervision by professionals;
*.inadequate enforcement of the existing enabling building regulations;
*.illegal conversion of buildings which often lead to structural deficiencies;
*.flagrant disobedience of town planning regulations by developers/landlords;
*.the compromising attitude of some workers of the town planning authority;
*.lack of sanctions against erring professionals and landlords.
[im
Re: Building Collapse:Causes, Prevention And Remedies by Nobody: 7:39pm On Nov 22, 2013
Having considered the remote causes of collapse building structures in Nigeria, remedial actions such as those listed below could be used as preventive measures. Preventive actions are those that are taken when design and construction standards are appropriately stated, adhered to and tailored by the professionals and the planning authority officials.
In order to reduce the problems of collapsed buildings to a manageable proportion, the following preventive measures are proposed:
*.Stringent penalties should be applied for those responsible for collapse of buildings, particularly when loss of lives is involved.
*.Town Planning Authorities should be adequately staffed and equipped with professionals in the construction industry. For effective monitoring of projects during and after construction.
*.Continuing professional development should be emphasised by both the professional bodies and the government on modern trends in the building industry. To keep members of the building industry abreast with new trends in construction.
*.Government should provide an enabling law for the training, and effective control of artisans and craftsmen in the building industry.
*.Government should screen those getting involved in housing projects. For any structure more than a bungalow, a structural engineer must be involved.
*.Construction work should only be carried out by registered contractors and supervised by registered architects, engineers and builders rather than engaging unskilled contractors.
*.Clients should obtain approvals before they begin construction. At the same time, they should work with the approved drawings and specifications. Any alterations should be approved before their implementations.
*.To promote the safety of buildings therefore, a holistic approach is required whereby all relevant outfits and organisations must be involved apart from the recognised professional bodies.
*.A regular audit of defective structures must be carried out and such structures marked for demolition should be demolished before it causes havoc on lives and properties.
*.Government at all levels should intensify public enlightenment, placing emphasis on how building disasters could be prevented rather than managing situations which might be costlier.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Flourish Apartments And Terraces Ochid Rd. A Beautiful Abode / Reasons Why You Must Own Your House / 7 Compelling Reasons Why You Should Build Your Own House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.