Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,693 members, 7,802,017 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:58 AM

Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? (5241 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi Launches Nigerian-Made Buses For Mass Transit - Pictured / Black Igbo Month Dr Felix Oragwu Who Invented The Famous Biafra Mass Killer Bomb / Say One Or Two Good Thing About A Tribe Other Than Yours (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by odumchi: 12:21am On Jul 30, 2013
Picture this:

You live in a rural, seaside village. Every morning, you climb up the palm trees that loom over your large, open compound and help yourself to a horn or two of palm-wine. After drinking you head to your farm where you spend the mid-morning hours doing farm work and inspecting your yams which seem to be growing healthily. In the afternoon, you return home and climb into your Peugeot 504 and drive to the nearest city (30 minutes away) an attend to some of your business there. In the evening you return to your small village and spend the remainder of the day at the local palm-wine joint in the company of friends. As you guys discuss, you suggest that the government should establish local industries and create commercial opportunities for your village, so that you won't always have to journey to the city. But is this a good thing?

Twenty years have passed. The government has finally responded to your people's demands. A government corporation has built a tire and a cement factory in your village and has employed hundreds of youths. However, a large portion of your people's forestland has been cleared. In addition to the two factories, a government-commissioned port has been built and now a large market has sprung up in your town as a result. As your town develops into a large commercial and industrial center, thousands of foreigners move in and purchase land originally owned by your people. In addition to their financial investments they bring crime, disease, and strange customs along with them. Before you realize it, you're outnumbered.

Is this really what you wanted? Is this what we need in Nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by Afam4eva(m): 12:24am On Jul 30, 2013
Our leaders have to learn that there a difference between urbanization and development. The rural areas in Nigeria needs developments which is basically the provision of basic amenities and not the urbanization of those villages. God forbid that one day we won't have villages again. Even in America and Europe, there are villages.

Now to your question. Since we have embraced the white man's culture, i believe urbanization is in order but should be limited to certain places. Industrialization can be extended to some rural areas though cos it creates employment for the locals.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by odumchi: 7:22am On Jul 30, 2013
Afam4eva: Our leaders have to learn that there a difference between urbanization and development. The rural areas in Nigeria needs developments which is basically the provision of basic amenities and not the urbanization of those villages. God forbid that one day we won't have villages again. Even in America and Europe, there are villages.

Now to your question. Since we have embraced the white man's culture, i believe urbanization is in order but should be limited to certain places. Industrialization can be extended to some rural areas though cos it creates employment for the locals.

Industrialization inevitably leads to urbanization. Once you establish any type of industry in a particular area, there will be a demand for labor (both skilled and unskilled) which will either be satisfied by locals or by foreigners. This is how Enugu grew. Originally a coal mining site, people moved in to attend to the various needs of the miners and very soon an urban center was born.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by moscobabs(m): 1:08pm On Jul 30, 2013
FTC
Re: Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jul 30, 2013
In todays Nigeria everythng is possible, May God Help us.
Re: Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by momodub: 1:12pm On Jul 30, 2013
Re: Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by Heatblast(m): 1:12pm On Jul 30, 2013
If your question isn't a Rhetorical question... My answer would be YES that's what I want

In the 21st century, with a lot of consumers to feed, industrailization is the answer.

1 Like

Re: Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by Odunharry(m): 1:17pm On Jul 30, 2013
they are good things.
More industry shud be sited in rural areas which will lead to Urbanisation and development of such areas..
Re: Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by Nobody: 1:17pm On Jul 30, 2013
Urbanisation is the worst thing that can happen to a serene, and idyllic village. They not only take your lands there"s bound to be so much accident too, as a result of people moving up n down.
The youths originally from that village want to sell land as a means of livelihood. Soon the lands are all in d hands of foreigners while d youth have no skill, an idle man is the devil's workshop...
The best is develop the villages, with infracstructures for daily living,

1 Like

Re: Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by ScorchedViper(m): 1:19pm On Jul 30, 2013
Industrialization at a steady pace, with good institutions in place is a desirable thing. pushing it on people is what is wrong. Industrialization should be a collective response to market demands that should naturally occur in any developing country.
Re: Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by kokoye(m): 1:20pm On Jul 30, 2013
Depends on how you look at it ..everything in life and good and bad sides.

Internet is a good thing..but it sure comes with a lot of bad as well.

..you wouldnt be able to share this thread this easily without urbanization. ..and on the flip side, some could utilize this very thread for bad purposes.

Your call.

2 Likes

Re: Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by Agent8706(m): 1:23pm On Jul 30, 2013
just like every other thing under the sun, they both have their advantages and disadvantages.it all depends on which one hit you the most; the positive or the negative.

1 Like

Re: Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by Memyselfu2009(m): 1:24pm On Jul 30, 2013
First urbanization simply mean agglomeration and conglomeration therefore when people begin to move from one area to another the area they move into become urbanized because of the number of people. Industrialization simply means establishment of industries. Now to answer ur questions yes urbanization and industrialization is a good thing be cos
provide employment for people stronger economy
Development of a towns and cities goods and services re easily gotten and cheap no need of importation. Brings about various skills and area of specialization etc
The disadvantaged are population high cost of accommodation crime rate increases etc in conclusion urbanization and industrialization is very good in every society if not there would be no areas like lagos Abuja ph etc we would all be in the village farming cassava
Re: Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by ayox2003: 1:31pm On Jul 30, 2013
Now, 50% of Africans still live in villages/rural areas. Honestly, its on the high side. We need more industries. Mass urbanisation is much needed than ever before, atleast for the infrastructure it will bring.

frawzey
Re: Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by Nobody: 1:37pm On Jul 30, 2013
Urbanisation doesn't necessarily mean deforestation or clearing off our farms. I believe all these can co-exist in an urbanised place. Or set aside many reserves for such purpose, with highly mechanised system of farming in place.

2 Likes

Re: Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by Sibrah: 1:45pm On Jul 30, 2013
Boko Haram tendencies in display!
If our regulatory body, educational sector, Research institute and Policies maker are doing their job well there will be minimal concern about all the evils associated with urbanization Mr OP listed above.
Re: Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by kcjazz(m): 1:54pm On Jul 30, 2013
What are the rules of engagement? Urbanisation and development have the potential to expand the market for products.
This is why we need Land reforms, you can have development and also fresh palm wine in a community. By the way, television erodes our culture more than any other thing and villages without roads at least watch tv somehow.
Re: Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by yame014: 1:56pm On Jul 30, 2013
@OP...is that the story of Nigeria?

Anyway Industrialization is good...it helps develop the economy of a nation by transfer of knowledge n technology...no matter how developed a nation is, there would still be rural areas...however, if the govt or a group of people sees a need to harness the wealth of a community for the betterment of the nation at large...why not?...besides any company that wants to invest in a community must do an EIA (environmental impact assessment) test that will sought for people's opinion, govt n traditional leaders' approval, and also review the negative n positive effects of establishing a factory in the community.
Re: Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by lertee(f): 1:59pm On Jul 30, 2013
Afam4eva: Our leaders have to learn that there a difference between urbanization and development. The rural areas in Nigeria needs developments which is basically the provision of basic amenities and not the urbanization of those villages. God forbid that one day we won't have villages again. Even in America and Europe, there are villages.

This is more like crying when the head hs already been cut off. This is a case study of most place in nigeria,is it now you realise that industrialisation or urbanisation has more disadvantges than the advntages?
We need development,we need globalization,we need to measure up to the whites...here we re today, "a failed nation". God bless nigeria
Re: Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 2:02pm On Jul 30, 2013
No it is not? Urbanisation and Industrialisation has to be targeted and designated to a specific sector of any country's economy.

Agriculture is central to any economy survival. Never underestimate agriculture, besides you have the environmental externalities that are attributed to mass urbanization and industrialization that are negative with health implication.
Re: Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jul 30, 2013
How can a person ask such a question, is it because you are employed or what.

2000 jobs or continue to enjoy poverty and a quiet life? Haba!
Re: Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by basilo101: 3:07pm On Jul 30, 2013
industrialization by foreign invasion should be resisted. let the government provide enabling environment for SME to thrive in the rural areas so the indigens can lead the way in the industrialization.
Re: Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by basilo101: 3:11pm On Jul 30, 2013
blink182: How can a person ask such a question, is it because you are employed or what.

2000 jobs or continue to enjoy poverty and a quiet life? Haba!
u really think that living in a village means living in poverty?
Re: Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by Fazhy: 3:11pm On Jul 30, 2013
Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing?

What a question?

Re: Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by kedukc(m): 3:23pm On Jul 30, 2013
basilo101: industrialization by foreign invasion should be resisted. let the government provide enabling environment for SME to thrive in the rural areas so the indigens can lead the way in the industrialization.

This is a very credible threat today. I know of a community where the aborigines are totally disillusioned as they have just realized that they have lost their means of livelihood by selling out all their lands. :-/
Re: Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by odumchi: 3:52pm On Jul 30, 2013
I don't think most of you guys understand the real dangers of industrialization and urbanization. I'm not saying that we shouldn't urbanize ir industrialize, rather I think that such things should be limited to certain areas. Like someone said, urbanization is not the same as development. A rural community can still be developed without being turned into a city. In Afam's words, "God forbid a Nigeria without villages."

I honestly don't want my own rural community to become a city. I don't want us to be outnumbered by foreigners (as in the cases of Aba, Onitsha, Lagos and etc.). I want my community to remain the place where I can go to escape the hustle and bustle of the city. If development is to come, let it come in the form of roads, schools, electricity and pipe-borne water. We don't need large factories or mills. I'd prefer my community to be rural or suburban, but never urban.

As for employment, I think that in every refion, governments should designate specific sites to concentrate commercial and industrial development. An example of what I'm saying is my current suburban community. Although not fully urbanized, we are not impoverished or undeveloped. We have all the amenities that urban dwellers have, but at the same time we haven't sacrificed tranquility and order. Most of our employed citizenry work in the nearest urban center which is 25 miles away.

2 Likes

Re: Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by Fulaman198(m): 4:51pm On Jul 30, 2013
I wouldn't necessarily call it a good thing. It is only good if it does not have a negative impact on traditional cultures.
Re: Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by asha80(m): 7:39pm On Jul 30, 2013
odumchi: I don't think most of you guys understand the real dangers of industrialization and urbanization. I'm not saying that we shouldn't urbanize ir industrialize, rather I think that such things should be limited to certain areas. Like someone said, urbanization is not the same as development. A rural community can still be developed without being turned into a city. In Afam's words, "God forbid a Nigeria without villages."

I honestly don't want my own rural community to become a city. I don't want us to be outnumbered by foreigners (as in the cases of Aba, Onitsha, Lagos and etc.). I want my community to remain the place where I can go to escape the hustle and bustle of the city. If development is to come, let it come in the form of roads, schools, electricity and pipe-borne water. We don't need large factories or mills. I'd prefer my community to be rural or suburban, but never urban.

As for employment, I think that in every refion, governments should designate specific sites to concentrate commercial and industrial development. An example of what I'm saying is my current suburban community. Although not fully urbanized, we are not impoverished or undeveloped. We have all the amenities that urban dwellers have, but at the same time we haven't sacrificed tranquility and order. Most of our employed citizenry work in the nearest urban center which is 25 miles away.

what is the name of the community or town that you just described in your last paragraph?
Re: Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by ogtavia(m): 8:00pm On Jul 30, 2013
One thing you must understand is dt both mass urbanization and industrialisation are kinda interwoven,one common fact between the two is the inevitable development,there was a period in the history of America(my apologies) when a certain president(i think Winston Churchill) and his team (more or less like the Nigerian FEC) came up with ideas to improve their country and this they did through industrialization viz-a-viz manufacturing,production,fabrication,assembly what have you,industrialization is a big word until u look at it introspectively,every country needs it,however with industrialization comes the issue of urbanization,what is urbanization;simply urbanization is the process of making a place,region or community urban,more or less like improving the status,conditions of the people by providing services and amenities such as good roads,electricity,pipe born water,security,quality healthcare and all the paraphernalia of urbanization,then with urbanization comes the issues who mentioned are the beginning of this thread,however a major problem with urbanization is when it is localised that is when it is not spread out,that area tends to witness massive influx of all shades of people(mind you,let me say at this junction,urbanization is a relative word,what we consider urban in Nigeria might be less urban or semi-rural in another place)...now,industrialization is a must,mass urbanization is inevitable with industrialization,but in all,development should be widely spread and far reaching such that the side effects of industrialization(yes it has side effects) is mitigated such urbanization spreads out in concentric pattern and is far reaching,the problem is nt industrialization and urbanization,if properly planned and managed,it will work,but d problem is having far reaching development everywhere,u cannot industrialise a whole country,but every town,city,village can have a touch of urbanity(permit me,i no grammar school) in them..
Re: Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by amor4ce(m): 8:45pm On Jul 30, 2013
Re: Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by Nobody: 9:39pm On Jul 30, 2013
good
Re: Is Mass Urbanization And Industrialization A Good Thing? by DaLover(m): 11:01pm On Jul 30, 2013
odumchi: Picture this:

You live in a rural, seaside village. Every morning, you climb up the palm trees that loom over your large, open compound and help yourself to a horn or two of palm-wine. After drinking you head to your farm where you spend the mid-morning hours doing farm work and inspecting your yams which seem to be growing healthily. In the afternoon, you return home and climb into your Peugeot 504 and drive to the nearest city (30 minutes away) an attend to some of your business there. In the evening you return to your small village and spend the remainder of the day at the local palm-wine joint in the company of friends. As you guys discuss, you suggest that the government should establish local industries and create commercial opportunities for your village, so that you won't always have to journey to the city. But is this a good thing?

Twenty years have passed. The government has finally responded to your people's demands. A government corporation has built a tire and a cement factory in your village and has employed hundreds of youths. However, a large portion of your people's forestland has been cleared. In addition to the two factories, a government-commissioned port has been built and now a large market has sprung up in your town as a result. As your town develops into a large commercial and industrial center, thousands of foreigners move in and purchase land originally owned by your people. In addition to their financial investments they bring crime, disease, and strange customs along with them. Before you realize it, you're outnumbered.

Is this really what you wanted? Is this what we need in Nigeria?
I think you are confusing living a rural life with living in abject poverty!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ifa Is Not Evil,but A Source Of Spiritual & Social Knowledge / Bachelors In Kano Go Into Hiding As ''Bachelor Hunter'' Goes On Prowl / Racial Breakdown Of The Worlds Population

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.