Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,929 members, 7,803,046 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 07:59 AM

Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto (15516 Views)

Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? / My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto by Nobody: 12:30am On Jul 30, 2013
Following the recent news that the E-Class, at least in Europe, is now available with a nine-speed automatic transmission, Mercedes-Benz has released the full details on its latest cog-swapper and confirmed that it will be available in most of its models in the coming years.
Currently, the new transmission, which is called the 9G-TRONIC, is available exclusively in the E350 BlueTEC sedan and wagon. Mercedes says it can be fitted to rear- and all-wheel-drive cars, and that it also works with hybrid and plug-in hybrid applications.
The higher number of gears and the broader gear ratio spread (9.15 for gears one to nine) help to increase smoothness but more importantly boost efficiency. This is achieved primarily through reduced revs. For example, in the E350 BlueTEC, whose 3.0-liter turbodiesel develops 248 horsepower, cruising at 75 mph in ninth gear sees the engine ticking over at just 1,350 rpm.
The car is also good for 0-62 mph acceleration in just 6.6 seconds and fuel economy of 36.75 mpg in the city cycle, up from 34 mpg with the previous 7G-TRONIC seven-speed transmission. The highway figure remains unchanged at 50 mpg. Note, European figures are listed.
An engine stop-start system is also included to maximize efficiency.
But the transmission also comes with a manual mode that’s said to deliver crisp changes when you want a bit of spirited driving. The speed at which it changes gears is due to a direct control system that enables short, barely perceptible gear changes, and it’s also possible for several gears to be jumped when accelerating or decelerating.
Another advantage of the transmission is its lightweight construction. Despite two additional gears and a maximum transferable torque of up to 737 pound-feet, the 9G-TRONIC transmission requires as little installation space as its seven-speed predecessor and, in addition, is lighter. Another goal was to implement the nine gears with the lowest number of planetary gear sets and shift elements as possible. Four simple planetary gear sets and six shift elements are used and work together with three speed sensors.
As previously reported, numerous other automakers are looking to additional gear ratios to eke out further savings in fuel consumption. ZF has already announced a nine-speed automatic, which will debut in the Range Rover Evoque this year and eventually appear in some Chrysler products, and Ford and General Motors have announced plans to develop new nine- and ten-speed automatic transmissions together.

Source: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1085752_mercedes-benz-releases-details-on-9g-tronic-nine-speed-auto

Re: Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto by Nobody: 3:14am On Jul 30, 2013
I saw this news abt a week ago, i wonder why they decided to make it low-key. besides, i thought the S-class was supposed to be the model launching new tech, how come this transmission made its debut on the E-class?
Re: Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto by Nobody: 9:11am On Jul 30, 2013
platinumricky: I saw this news abt a week ago, i wonder why they decided to make it low-key. besides, i thought the S-class was supposed to be the model launching new tech, how come this transmission made its debut on the E-class?
goodmorning bro, MAYBE mercedes executives have started finding other ways to minimize spending especially these days global economy seems unstable thus making the debut of 9G tronic a lowkey event. As for the launch in E class, I don't knw the rationale behind this or do they wanna use the E class as a test mule?
***thinking deeply***
Re: Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto by jpphilips(m): 10:33am On Jul 30, 2013
the Eclass is selling higher than the S class in most markets, reason for the decision.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto by JUO(m): 12:11pm On Jul 30, 2013
this must be good
Re: Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto by Nobody: 12:47pm On Jul 30, 2013
Will that make it the fastest car on earth? Or most efficient?
Re: Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto by Nobody: 1:59pm On Jul 30, 2013
Bossforeva: Will that make it the fastest car on earth? Or most efficient?
The higher number of gears and the broader gear ratio spread (9.15 for gears one to nine) help to increase smoothness but more importantly boost efficiency. This is achieved primarily through reduced revs. For example, in the E350 BlueTEC, whose 3.0-liter turbodiesel develops 248 horsepower, cruising at 75 mph in ninth gear sees the engine ticking over at just 1,350 rpm.
The car is also good for 0-62 mph acceleration in just 6.6 seconds and fuel economy of 36.75 mpg in the city cycle, up from 34 mpg with the previous 7G-TRONIC seven-speed transmission. The MPG rating+ the engine rev's isn't bad for a 3.0 litre turbodiesel with RWD or AWD.
Re: Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jul 30, 2013
Space booked will be right back to comment grin
Re: Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto by lifestyle1(m): 2:18pm On Jul 30, 2013
Auto - ok

Manual - punishment!

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto by demmy55(m): 2:18pm On Jul 30, 2013
Auto speed + Auto crash = Auto die grin

± Heaven or Hell undecided

3 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto by kokoye(m): 2:19pm On Jul 30, 2013
Show a picture of the car itself and witness an increase in the traffic on this thread.

You're welcome.
Re: Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto by PBundles(m): 2:31pm On Jul 30, 2013
Nice NOTsad, put in my order for the Bluetec last month because the new model E was coming out, now to hear that they are putting in a new automatic next year. Like seriously MB.
Re: Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto by ldpele(m): 2:34pm On Jul 30, 2013
i seconded the other Nlder that tinks it was tested of the E-class rather than the S-class,E sold far mre than the S. am a lover of benz and it speed attributes with efficieny and balance. Mercedes and others
Re: Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jul 30, 2013
MERCEDES VS NAIJA BLENDE.COM
which 1 do u prefer?
Re: Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto by Riskymallam: 2:50pm On Jul 30, 2013
For the car lovers, especially Mercedes enthusiasts like me grin.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto by ZN2: 3:41pm On Jul 30, 2013
life_style: Auto - ok

Manual - punishment!

I know, Why would anyone want to make a 9speed manual? Anyways, You'll prolly be able to "jump gears" smoothly too should this debut in a proper manual gearbox - correct me if i'm wrong, I'm no expert.

But it seems like it's gonna mean more "paddle shifts" - if you're into that sort of thing.
Re: Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto by Nightshift(m): 4:01pm On Jul 30, 2013
Stuttgart Wonders !
Re: Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto by thrugemaster(m): 4:02pm On Jul 30, 2013
TIME TO BUY MY BENZ
Re: Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto by ogmask: 4:09pm On Jul 30, 2013
I will go for a merc anyday.
Re: Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto by Riskymallam: 4:20pm On Jul 30, 2013

etse1236: e show 4 ya teeth sef
Re: Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto by hustler2(m): 4:46pm On Jul 30, 2013
0 to 62mph 6.6 sec very poor... Common 2013 Camry SE V6 6 speed will smash it in 5.7 sec not to mention Lexus or Infiniti the Japanese premium
Re: Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jul 30, 2013
hu$tler:
0 to 62mph 6.6 sec very poor... Common 2013 Camry SE V6 6 speed will smash it in 5.7 sec not to mention Lexus or Infiniti the Japanese premium
there u g☺ wrong! Camry SE V6 is having 3.5liter PETROL engine with Front wheel drive layout, plus its lighter. This is a 3.0L TURBODIESEL V6, RWD or 4WD, plus its heavier. Well, the speed comparism may not be worth it. BtW, let's get them up to their top speed and see how they handle tongue cool

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto by Fhemmmy: 4:54pm On Jul 30, 2013
hu$tler:

Full Gbam! My Oga at the top has spoken.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto by hustler2(m): 5:13pm On Jul 30, 2013
lomomike: there u g☺ wrong! Camry SE V6 is having 3.5liter PETROL engine with Front wheel drive layout, plus its lighter. This is a 3.0L TURBODIESEL V6, RWD or 4WD, plus its heavier. Well, the speed comparism may not be worth it. BtW, let's get them up to their top speed and see how they handle tongue cool

Get your facts right;

Built by the famed transmission maker ZF, the newest transmission in the Mercedes lineup is called the 9G-Tronic, and it represents the first 9-speed auto available on the mass market. Although the 9-speed 2014 Jeep Cherokee and Range Rover Evoque are not far behind. Though the 9G-Tronic unit leaves the E350 Bluetec’s 0-60 time untouched at 6.6 seconds.

http://www.tflcar.com/2013/07/news-mercedes-benz-to-introduce-9-speed-automatic-on-2014-e-class-models/

Now come down to details;

A 2013 lexus GS350 is AWD & RWD and can run 0 to 62mph is 5.6sec and it is in the same category as the merc e-class.

The 3977-pound all-wheel-drive GS350 hustled to 60 mph in a respectable 5.6 seconds; the 133-pound-lighter, rear-drive GS350 F Sport shaved a 10th from that figure. The F Sport reached the quarter-mile mark in 14.1 seconds at 102 mph, besting the all-wheel-driver by 0.2 second and 3 mph.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-lexus-gs350-awd-gs350-f-sport-test-review
Re: Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto by hustler2(m): 5:18pm On Jul 30, 2013
lomomike: there u g☺ wrong! Camry SE V6 is having 3.5liter PETROL engine with Front wheel drive layout, plus its lighter. This is a 3.0L TURBODIESEL V6, RWD or 4WD, plus its heavier. Well, the speed comparism may not be worth it. BtW, let's get them up to their top speed and see how they handle tongue cool

There is nothing to this 99g tronic apart from the fuel economy, even so, the 2013 lexus 3.5 V6 with 6 speed transmission has the same economy with the over hyped 9g tronic

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Are The Basic Documents (papers) A Car Should Has? / Photos: Dangers Of Potholes And How To Handle It / Do You Know 5 Must-check Parts When Buying A Used Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.