Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,959 members, 7,806,779 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:45 PM

World's First Pregnant Man. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / World's First Pregnant Man. (1727 Views)

UNBELIEVABLE: Pregnant Man Gives Birth To A Baby Girl In Argentina / World's First Pregnant Man Divorces Wife / Pregnant Man On Oprah: "this Is A Miracle" (first Male Pregnancy) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

World's First Pregnant Man. by Nobody: 5:14pm On May 28, 2008
This is very real
The world's first pregnant man, eight months gone, cutting the lawn
A baby bump straining his T-shirt and sporting a straggly beard, this is the world's first pregnant man - just over six weeks from giving birth.
By Victoria Ward  20/05/2008
Pregnant Thomas Beatie (Pic:Barcroft Media

Thomas Beatie, 34, looked relaxed as he trimmed his lawn in Oregon , USA , wearing a top with the slogan Define Normal .

Married Thomas, born a woman, claimed he was like any mum-to-be and said: "To neighbours, my wife and I don't appear unusual."

He added: "Wanting to have a child is neither a male nor female desire, but a human desire.
Doing the household chores when your baby's due in a few weeks can prove exhausting work.
And, grass trimmer in hand and baby bump proudly on display, this could be just another suburban mum-to-be tending to the lawn - were it not for the wispy, telltale beard.
But the world's first pregnant man, Thomas Beatie, is determined to portray an air of everyday normality, even though he is set to create history when he gives birth in six weeks.
Family way - Thomas Beatie is due to have a baby girl in six weeks.
Despite worldwide shock, curiosity and revulsion, married transsexual Thomas, 34, insists he is little different from any other expectant mother and has said: "I always feel so bloated.
"Unfortunately there is no such thing as man-ternity clothes."
He added: "To our neighbours, my wife Nancy and I don't appear in the least unusual. We're a happy couple deeply in love. My belly is growing with a new life inside me. I am stable and confident being the man that I am."

And as he trimmed the grass in Bend , Oregon , US , he proclaimed his determination for acceptance in a T-shirt bearing the slogan, Define Normal. The weightlifter and karate black belt insists his pregnancy has been trouble-free and so routine that he has even had food cravings, for soya beans and artichokes.

Thomas was born a woman, Tracy Lagondino, and was once a Hawaiian beauty queen.

He had a partial sex change 10 years ago, receiving hormone treatment and having his breasts removed. But he kept his female reproductive organs so he and Nancy, 45, who had a hysterectomy in the 80s, could have children.

His pregnancy first made world headlines in March. Days later he was quizzed by US chatshow queen Oprah Winfrey while having a scan.

Thomas, inseminated by his wife using an anonymous donor's sperm, is due to have a baby girl on July 3. He knows, however, that he faces an almost lifelong battle for acceptance from the public and even his own family.

When he became pregnant with triplets two years ago but lost them his brother said: "Who knows what kind of monster it would have been?" But Thomas has vowed to defy the hatred with the support of Nancy and her grown-up daughters Amber and Jen.

He said: "Wanting to have a biological child is neither a male nor female desire but a human desire. I will be my daughter's father and Nancy her mother.

"We will be a family."

JUST LIKE ANY MOTHER-TO-BE

By Dr James Barrett, Consultant psychiatrist

Thomas's pregnancy will be just like any woman's, except he won't be able to breastfeed the baby.

Although legally male, Thomas appears to have kept his reproductive organs, making it possible for him to carry a child.

For his sex change he would have had a mastectomy and received testosterone injections to bring on male characteristics. In the UK we give patients a testosterone jab every month for life

It normally takes three months for the testosterone to have an effect and for periods to stop - making it impossible to get pregnant. Within six months, the patient will start to look like a man, and within a year he will be speaking with a deep voice and have the traits of a man.

What's interesting is that Thomas was able to re-start his periods after stopping the testosterone injections.

It's uncommon for the female hormone oestrogen to return and for the person to ovulate again - let alone fall pregnant.

It is also highly unusual for a woman who has undergone a sex change to become a man to actually WANT to get pregnant. Psychologically they usually wouldn't want to as that's something women do.

This is a highly unusual case - the first time I've heard of such a thing in 20 years of practice.

Dr James Barrett works at the National Gender Identity Clinic in Charing Cross

@all
This is really shocking shocked, i wonder what this world is turning into. Any comment

Re: World's First Pregnant Man. by Nobody: 5:30pm On May 28, 2008
The guy (babe) is on his (her) own. Strictly.
Re: World's First Pregnant Man. by mnwankwo(m): 5:34pm On May 28, 2008
It is misleading to say that a man became pregnant. Biologically the so called "pregnant man" is a woman. It is impossible for a man to get pregnant with a child.
Re: World's First Pregnant Man. by Nobody: 5:37pm On May 28, 2008
she was a woman before changing her sex .
Re: World's First Pregnant Man. by Nobody: 5:38pm On May 28, 2008
This is the kind of aberration that Secular Humanism extols.
So much for logic and rationality.
Re: World's First Pregnant Man. by mnwankwo(m): 5:40pm On May 28, 2008
She is still a woman even after the so called sex change
Re: World's First Pregnant Man. by MCUsman(m): 5:57pm On May 28, 2008
The Westicoted Christain Chruches would soon jump heel to legalized and recognized it the same thing as in Homosexual & Abortion.
Re: World's First Pregnant Man. by HRhotness(f): 5:59pm On May 28, 2008
MC Usman:

The Westicoted Christain Chruches would soon jump heel to legalized and recognized it the same thing as in Homosexual & Abortion.

legalise what exactly?
Re: World's First Pregnant Man. by syrup(f): 6:00pm On May 28, 2008
MC Usman:

You should know that there are many Muslims who recognize Homosexuality as a lifestyle - and in their communities in the West, they are LEGAL.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/1405460.stm

http://www.al-bab.com/arab/background/gay.htm

Check also "Gay_Muslims" in wikipedia.org and be enlightened.

Why do some muslims always have such a penchant to be so hypocritical as if the things they assume are always "Christian" ills do not exist among Muslims?
Re: World's First Pregnant Man. by Uche2nna(m): 6:02pm On May 28, 2008
MC Usman:

Trying hard to understand the meaning of ur statement
Re: World's First Pregnant Man. by Nobody: 6:13pm On May 28, 2008
I think MCusman means that the liberal western christian churches will soon create THEOLOGICAL room this sort of thing.

The same way some churches are ordaining gay bishops.

Guys, lets face it. This unhealthy accomodation of error is unacceptable.
Re: World's First Pregnant Man. by syrup(f): 6:18pm On May 28, 2008
Well, even if one should try and be very accommodating to such views as expressed by MC 'Usman, it would only be fair that he seeks to be balanced. Long gone are the days when this sort of Muslim caricaturing went unchecked.

If Christian Churches in the West have struggled with so many social ills, he could only be fair in recognizing the Muslim communities in the West as well are facing these paradigms! The first call in open forums like this should not be to take a cheap shot every single time at Christians. It's clearly unhealthy.
Re: World's First Pregnant Man. by Nobody: 11:40am On May 29, 2008
You people seem to be missing the point here, the man (woman) is a transvesite about to have a kid, first of all it is highly immoral for one to change one's sex, secondly think of the poor baby that wa conceived in warped values and would be brought up not knowing the difference between his/her mum and the dad. Those are the reall issues here and not issues of just being gay or islam permitting Homosexuality.
Re: World's First Pregnant Man. by KAG: 2:14pm On May 29, 2008
It's a pregnant woman.
Re: World's First Pregnant Man. by samba123(m): 5:44pm On May 29, 2008
This thing is not anymore common to all, while starting like this one are a passageway to the future generation when a pedo and lesbian are entitle to their right in the hand of the law of humanity. The Pedo and Lesbian are cerebrating to have a scribe recognition in the eyes of all nations. Much more to come in recognition of faith the Human law or the God law should follows.
Re: World's First Pregnant Man. by ima1(f): 9:55pm On May 29, 2008
can't say she or he is a man if he/she was born a woman, so our generalization is wrong God is not stupid.
Re: World's First Pregnant Man. by elizabetta(f): 6:08pm On May 30, 2008
I pity the unborn child
Re: World's First Pregnant Man. by ayomifull(f): 5:17pm On Jul 11, 2008
Nothing like pregnant man she is a woman God work can not be changed hence her ability to get pregnant after the silly change over. God is not man o otherwise me i will never give him pregnance since he choose to change my original plan.

(1) (Reply)

A Mother Giving Her Eight-year-old Daughter Botox Injections! / Thread deleted / 11 Clever Kitchen Hacks That Only The Professionals Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.