Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,218 members, 7,780,406 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:46 PM

What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe (11512 Views)

Illegal Immigrant: My Near Death And Terrible Experience In Malaysia / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe by teaser(m): 4:13am On May 29, 2008
Hi Folks, I love Nairaland and i want to say God bless Seun and all the moderators in Nairaland for the good work they are doing.I have been a memeber of Nairaland for just 1yr plus and but have only posted 2 threads, the last which was about a friend that was born in Itlay and wants to know if he is eligible for Citizenship. For the past 3days i have spent time on this forum reading and honestly i have never been this informed and educated in my life. Honestly I belong to a category of Nigerian youths that are desperate to jet out of this country in search of greener pastures and beileve me i don't see anything stopping me. I was actually talking about myself when i asked about the Italian citizenship. I was born in Italy some good years back by Nigerian parents but just spent the first 2 years of my life before they came back to Nigeria, my parents met their, studied there and gave birth to me before coming down to Nigeria to legally get married, they speak Italy fluently too and they still have friends in Italy.I want to know what life in Italy looks like, what is life in Italy for an immigrant like, my parents told me they survived in Italy picking tomatoes in a friends farm and that was more than 25yrs ago and am wondering is it that there is no job in Italy for immigrants. Then again what is life like as an illegal immigrant in european countries, especially UK. Honestly it's going to help alot of desperate youths like us (am not counting myself out). I really want to travel, and forget it i don't have a degree so applying for a student Visa is out of it. I honestly plan to travel and elope but i need every honest information available. I don't think i want anybody to discourage me from eloping, and incase you want to know UK is my first choice for that, then maybe ireland or germany, i have bundle of friends and relations in UK, which i do not plan to depend on, but think can help me with an invitation letter or something, what options do i have, apart from a letter of invitation. I will appreaciate honest talk please.
I will enjoy reading from everybody especially @Vicjustice, @funkybaby, @Akolawole, @papabrowne.
Re: What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe by savanaha: 4:17am On May 29, 2008
So it is true when people say that 'my friend' actually means me.
Re: What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe by teaser(m): 4:19am On May 29, 2008
incase you have some honest advice or help to render hit me up on mrtobismart@yahoo.com, i will appreciate,am always on yahoo messenger too.
Re: What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe by oludayo20(m): 12:17pm On May 29, 2008
Hi,
I was reading through your poster this morning and i could feel that you sincerely do need an advice,Having been living abroad for a while,and along the line meeting Nigerians both legal and illegal,I will sincerely advice you not to travel abroad without having proper documentation,it's not easy as people think it is,to work abroad you must have a social security number through which you will be registered,and if you're illegal you cannot have access to this number,(because the immigration must see your passport with some documents to get the social security number),i've seen illegal immigrants living life unbecoming of an human being,running from the police 24hrs of the day,still with nothing to do,they resort to doing drugs and they end up been criminals,and another destiny being destroyed,don't you ever try relocating abroad illegally thinking you'll survive,Most countries right now because of recent economic down turn are not receptive to illegal immigrant again including asylum seekers.an example is the recent events in south africa.
My advice to you is to think deep within yourself,first find out what you want to do,I can assure you that there is no easy route to genuine success even abroad ,from your write up,i know you're a graduate,think first on what you want to do,if indeed you want to relocate,there are so many avenue:you can relocate through work permit,through further education,which is what i will recommend for you,try work hard and save,make it a goal to save, save enough money and apply for student visa,pay the school fees and enrol in school here,graduate, empower yourself,it might be a long route,but make yourself someone to sought after through your level of knowledge and you're on your way to success. countries like sweden still operate tuition free school up to graduate level or depending on the course you studied,you can apply for HSMP,or work permit .thereby keeping your dignity and sense of purpose,and above all pray.you'll need to pray for favour and help from God and please remember to develop your faith in God because you'll sure need it on your way up!
God Bless.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe by ayomifull(f): 5:14pm On May 29, 2008
If you were trully born in Italy try to get your birth certificate and any other documents you can get from your parents if you are over 18 you should contact Italy embassy in Nigeria and try to see if you can get your passport from them. I am not really sure how it works with countries like Italy but i know a friend's cousin was able to get her American passport in Nigeria with some documents and another person (my neighbour in Nogeria) got his British passport in Nigeria as well.

You can contact the embassy in Nigeria, explain to them you were born there and seek advise from them, they sure will be able to help if you have docs to back your claim up. If you succed you can live in any country in Europe as an EU citizen. Good luck.
Re: What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe by nawah1980(m): 5:46pm On May 29, 2008
@teaser, if truly you were born in Italy, then the Italian Government and the hospital which you were born must be aware of it. If anyone is born here, his or her picture would be added 2 the parents permit of stay, which is called permesso di soggiorno. so i believe your parents still have a copy of the permit of stay even if it is expired and your birth certificate if they collected it before they left the country. if they did not collect it, let me know the name of the hospital and were it is located in Italy because i live in Italy, Brescia to be precised. you are supposed to be issued a passport,(Italian passport). what i will advice you is that, Do all paper works in Italian embassy in Nigeria with a concrate prove that you were born there. please the idea of you leaving Nigeria and going into another country without any document is very useless and wasteful. because Italy has changed, the new elected president has ordered the police to send any person without document to jail for 2 months then you will be deported back to your country. In Italy without document, you can never get a job or less you join most Nigerians here that beg on the street which has also stopped because of the new law imposed by the new president. even with documents you hardly get a job here in Italy. it is not easy my friend.
Re: What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe by NVME1: 6:42pm On May 29, 2008
@Nawa1980
Please be very candid with me on this question since you are in Italy.

Is it possible for someone above 18years to join the mother with a visiting visa and of which her mum already has a residence permit (Indefinite Leave to Remain).
Moreover she intends to change her status on getting there since her mum already has a permit??
Will she be eligible??
I learnt its possible but I don't know how true.
Re: What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe by brownbonno(m): 9:59pm On May 29, 2008
@Nawa,

As a resident of Italy you should have known better on the route of citizenship.

@poster,
I will not want to go into the issue of illegal immigration because the name speaks for itself.
But on the issue of your place of birth and citizenship,unfortunately you are not qualified for citizenship by presentation of your your birth certificate without fulfilling the residency requirements.
Here is the rule as a guide:

Law 91 of February 5, 1992, specifies a number of different cases of acquisition of citizenship [cittadinanza italiana], some of which are automatic and others which apply only to specific conditions and/or are subject to a declaration of the eligible person expressing the wish to acquire citizenship:

Birth (the child of an Italian father or mother, even if born abroad or descendent of an Italian ancestor living abroad, only if the ancestor never gave up Italian citizenship).
Recognition or judicial declaration of paternity (for minors citizenship is automatic, while children over 18 maintain their citizenship but can, within one year of the recognition or judicial declaration, declare that they choose Italian citizenship).
Adoption (automatic in case of minors and, for those over 18, at the request of the interested party after five years of legal residence in Italy.
Descent (the father or mother are citizens, or one of the direct ancestors to the second degree were Italian citizens by birth who lost their Italian citizenship). In this case, to reacquire Italian citizenships, the following conditions are required:
Military service for the Italian government
Employment as a civil servant in an office of the Italian government (even abroad)
If, on reaching the age of 18, the person has resided in Italy for at least two years and expresses, by voluntary declaration before the nineteenth birthday, the wish to acquire Italian citizenship
Acquisition or reacquisition by a parent: the minors of persons who acquire or reacquire Italian citizenship also acquire it if they are living stably and effectively with the person at the time of acquisition or reacquisition. When they reach the age of 18, if they have other citizenship, they can renounce Italian citizenship.
Birth and residency in Italy: a foreigner born in Italy and legally residing in our country, without interruption, until the age of 18, can acquire Italian citizenship if, by the age of 19, he or she makes a declaration accepting Italian citizenship.

But Italy do have a work permit structure that is very liberal if an employer is ready to sponsor your application.
Wish you the best.
Re: What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe by teaser(m): 11:32pm On May 29, 2008
@teaser, if truly you were born in Italy, then the Italian Government and the hospital which you were born must be aware of it. If anyone is born here, his or her picture would be added 2 the parents permit of stay, which is called permesso di soggiorno. so i believe your parents still have a copy of the permit of stay even if it is expired and your birth certificate if they collected it before they left the country. if they did not collect it, let me know the name of the hospital and were it is located in Italy because i live in Italy, Brescia to be precised. you are supposed to be issued a passport,(Italian passport). what i will advice you is that, Do all paper works in Italian embassy in Nigeria with a concrate prove that you were born there. please the idea of you leaving Nigeria and going into another country without any document is very useless and wasteful. because Italy has changed, the new elected president has ordered the police to send any person without document to jail for 2 months then you will be deported back to your country. In Italy without document, you can never get a job or less you join most Nigerians here that beg on the street which has also stopped because of the new law imposed by the new president. even with documents you hardly get a job here in Italy. it is not easy my friend.

@nawah1980
I have all documents that might be required including my birth certificate and they are all in Italian language. I was born in Perugia precisley, i can provide all that if required. Since you leave in Italy can you shoot me an email on "mrtobismart@yahoo.com" for some personal questions. The truth is i don't intend coming to Italy as an illegal immigrant, i think that's the last country i would want to travel to illegally going by what my parents have told me about the place, but if what you said here is true then i can give it a try.

@brownbonno,
You have a point about the route to citizenship in Italy, they don't do citizenship by birth but by blood, you must be given birth to by an Italian citizen, but can't there be an option for people like me.
[color=#006600][/color]
Re: What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe by awolumate(m): 11:38pm On May 29, 2008
@ poster.

Please do not think of living in Italy as an Illegal Immigrant .Nawah has said it all. Moreover, If you were born in Italy as you have claimed. Your picture should be on the permit of stay of your parents. According to Italian law you are not Eligible for Citizenship because none of your both parents were Italian Citizen. You can actually google for more Info or contact the Italian Embassy for better advice.

For you to claim Citizenship,Either of your parents must be Italian . You can ask either I or Nawah for any more details or advice.

@Nawah

Come stai ? Sono abito a Brescia ,
Re: What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe by awolumate(m): 11:43pm On May 29, 2008
@ NV ME.

To answer your question. If your Mom has Indefinite stay thats called Carta di soggiorno here. She can sponsor her daughter down here if she has a stable job with income and a house ( That would be inspected) or if she is married to an Italian,

Its possible but not with a visiting Visa. She will know better. ,
Re: What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe by Dantecmu(m): 5:17am On May 30, 2008
@Poster
  its complicated over there in UK my brother,but it all depends on you and what you want from life. But my bro Europe ain't what you think it is o. Especially as an illegal immigrant. Well i did post a similar topic like this some few months ago. i don't think its a good idea being an illegal immigrant in Europe you might not really understand the way it works its psychological my brother cus life out there ain't as rosy as it seems well i would only advice Nigerians that are completely hopeless to go and be an illegal immigrant in Europe but like i said its a thing of the mind. like you have already written NOBODY SHOULD DISCORAGE YOU FROM ELOPING, think bout it very well my bro all da best.
Re: What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe by NVME1: 4:32pm On May 30, 2008
@ awolumate
awolumate:

@ NV ME.

To answer your question. If your Mom has Indefinite stay thats called Carta di soggiorno here. She can sponsor her daughter down here if she has a stable job with income and a house ( That would be inspected) or if she is married to an Italian,

Its possible but not with a visiting Visa. She will know better. ,

She has all you have listed

Carta di soggiorno
Stable job and income
A house

But whats the sponsoring if not visiting (visiting visa)??
Re: What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe by awolumate(m): 7:43pm On May 30, 2008
@ NV ME,

Your sponsor knows better, I think you should let her do the findings on what are required from you. , Based on my Experience Sponsoring a resident card for someone is more easier than just a visiting Visa, Italian stuff are quite different from other Countries,

As I said the person sponsoring you knows where to get all the necessary info from. It shouldn't be your headache.

Good Luck,
Re: What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe by teaser(m): 4:36am On May 31, 2008
@Dantecmu
thanks for that sincere talk. I picked one thing "it's all a thing of the mind"

I sure know it's hard anywhere in europe as an illegal immigrant like i also know 98% of Nigerians in europe travelled illlegally. I have loads of friends in UK that travelled illegally and are surviving, it might not be all about the money, but definitely about the quality of life, the exposure and security. I am aware making money in europe is not easy, but i want to live the good life, where i can stay 24hrs without power failure, and i want more exposure.

wink
Re: What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe by Vicjustice: 5:10am On May 31, 2008
I'll read it all and get back to you tomorrow. Cool?
   However, i suggest that you read this article:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-94557.0.html
Re: What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe by Vicjustice: 11:31am On May 31, 2008
NV ME:

@Nawa1980
Please be very candid with me on this question since you are in Italy.

Is it possible for someone above 18years to join the mother with a visiting visa and of which her mum already has a residence permit (Indefinite Leave to Remain).
Moreover she intends to change her status on getting there since her mum already has a permit??
Will she be eligible??
I learnt its possible but I don't know how true.

@NV ME
   The EU law requires that only children under 16 years of age are entitled to the benefit of joining family members residing in any EU country legally.
Dear Teaser,
   From your comments, i can understand that you're determined not to be deterred from your intention no matter the negative advice  cheesy Anyway, if that is the case, and if you must "check out", then i'd advice you consider a place like Canada where Illegal immigrants are still having relative ease to legalising their stays. And yes, i'm aware of the fact that most Nigerians travelled abroad illegally and eventually made it into legalisation, but yet, many also did not make it and a lot are being deported. . .
   I was in Italy and Spain this week, until yesterday; believe me, there are too many jobless Nigerians due to lack of permits, every now and then, you see black guys hawking Wristwatches, Sunglasses Handkerchiefs, Belts and other petty things and they all attested to the fact that they have no permits to work hence they resorted to this humiliation in other to survive. Most of these guys are not Nigerians, though.
   I'm not advicing you to give it up, but rather reminding you to be aware that if you travel abroad illegally, you'd be on the edge between success and failure, so, determination and opportunity will decide your fate.
   So, i'd say: you can make it, but with stringent adjustments to immigration rules in recent years, it's extremely difficult now-a-days.
Re: What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe by Nwaka77: 3:37pm On May 31, 2008
teaser:

@Dantecmu
thanks for that sincere talk. I picked one thing "it's all a thing of the mind"

I sure know it's hard anywhere in europe as an illegal immigrant like i also know 98% of Nigerians in europe travelled illlegally. I have loads of friends in UK that travelled illegally and are surviving, it might not be all about the money, but definitely about the quality of life, the exposure and security. I am aware making money in europe is not easy, but i want to live the good life, where i can stay 24hrs without power failure, and i want more exposure.

wink

You don't seem to get it, do you? undecided

Your quality of life will still diminish if you find yourself not being able to get a job because you do not have the permission to work in Europe. Your quality of life will diminish when you find yourself hustling and working several jobs that will still not be enough to pay your bills. With the economic down turn in the western hemisphere, legalizing one's stay is an ever daunting task. You talk about security. What kind of security do you intend to have when you have to be very careful not be to caught by immigration officials that can promptly ship you back to Naija if they find out that you are staying in their country illegally? I know people who are currently stuck abroad because they have no money to go back home because they cannot find a better paying job since they don't have their residency permit or a work permit. I will not advice even my worst enemy to come abroad illegally. The stress and the fact that you can barely move forward with your set goals can drive any sane person insane. If you must leave Naija, try to see if you can go to Canada. See if a canadian providence which has few residents will be willing to accept you or something. For some reason, Nigerians in Nigeria feel that going abroad will solve all their problems just like that but it is not true. If you have legal residency, then yes, it is possible to live a better life but if you don't, it is a serious gamble.

A word is enough for the wise.
Re: What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe by teaser(m): 12:21am On Jun 01, 2008
@Nwaka77
u don sey wink, i really know what you are talking about, beileve me; but the thing is this,i have already made up my mind about this,i'd rather go and see for myself. I picked one thing "See if a canadian providence which has few residents will be willing to accept you or something." things might not turn out the way i expect when i get there, but if out of 10 illegal immigrants 1 make it in europe or canada, i am sure i will be that 1, i have the will power and the fact that i am hearing this from you all is a good thing, because it's going to make me prepared to face the worst when i jet out.

@Vicjustice
Thanks for making good ur promise to tell me something. I was born in Italy but beileve me unless i am eligible via citizenship that's the worst place i will love to go as an illegal immigrant, i'd also thought of UK, then Ireland because of one of your articles that i read. I don't want to sound confused here but i picked something from what you wrote which is similar to what nwaka77 said too[b] "Anyway, if that is the case, and if you must "check out", then i'd advice you consider a place like Canada where Illegal immigrants are still having relative ease to legalising their stays"[/b] if this is the case with canada and you personally think that it's better than UK then i might opt for Canada. Please could you let me know a little about canada and what kind of job one can get as an illegal immigrant there.

Nairalanders, more sincere contributions please, i don't mind being knocked so long as it makes sense.
Re: What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe by teaser(m): 12:24am On Jun 01, 2008
@Nwaka77
u don sey wink, i really know what you are talking about, beileve me; but the thing is this,i have already made up my mind about this,i'd rather go and see for myself. I picked one thing "See if a canadian providence which has few residents will be willing to accept you or something." things might not turn out the way i expect when i get there, but if out of 10 illegal immigrants 1 make it in europe or canada, i am sure i will be that 1, i have the will power and the fact that i am hearing this from you all is a good thing, because it's going to make me prepared to face the worst when i jet out.

@Vicjustice
Thanks for making good ur promise to tell me something. I was born in Italy but beileve me unless i am eligible via citizenship that's the worst place i will love to go as an illegal immigrant, i'd also thought of UK, then Ireland because of one of your articles that i read. I don't want to sound confused here but i picked something from what you wrote which is similar to what nwaka77 said too[b] "Anyway, if that is the case, and if you must "check out", then i'd advice you consider a place like Canada where Illegal immigrants are still having relative ease to legalising their stays"[/b] if this is the case with canada and you personally think that it's better than UK then i might opt for Canada. Please could you let me know a little about canada and what kind of job one can get as an illegal immigrant there.

Nairalanders, more sincere contributions please, i don't mind being knocked so long as it makes sense.
Re: What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe by Nobody: 5:08am On May 05, 2010
"life as an illegal immigrant "? Hmmm. . . . .hellish!
Re: What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe by femifoly: 3:11am On May 15, 2010
If your country of birth is Italy, all you need to do is get your birth certificate issued in Italy and present it at the Italian embassy in Nigeria. They will advise you on steps to take to get your Italian passport(it can be issued right there in Nigeria), you may decide to travel to UK or Canada if you desire (they are visa free countries for visiting EU citizens).
I wish you best of luck.
Re: What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe by bigben3: 8:29am On May 18, 2010
life as an illegal immigrant anywhere= hell
Re: What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe by wildz29: 5:57am On Jan 29, 2011
well, i know this thread had been posted years ago but i would like to know how could i or could i still go to italy after my permit to stay expired years ago, i was born in italy with filipino parents so i am a citizen of philippines, i was sent to philippines when i was still an infant but my parents still resides in rome,italy, in dec 2003 i went to italy for a vacation and have my own permit to stay, on january next year, i returned to philippines, after that i no longer get able to go to italy because of financial problems, my permit to stay expired on nov.2006, if any one knows what i can do, please reply, thank you very much,
Re: What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe by femifoly: 9:44am On Jan 29, 2011
[table]well, i know this thread had been posted years ago but i would like to know how could i or could i still go to italy after my permit to stay expired years ago, i was born in italy with filipino parents so i am a citizen of philippines, i was sent to philippines when i was still an infant but my parents still resides in rome,italy, in dec 2003 i went to italy for a vacation and have my own permit to stay, on january next year, i returned to philippines, after that i no longer get able to go to italy because of financial problems, my permit to stay expired on nov.2006, if any one knows what i can do, please reply, thank you very much, [/table]

You need to state the duration of the permit you were given when you travelled to Italy, the type of permit (1 yr or 2 yrs temporary permit, residence permit or residence and work permit) and how many months or years you worked with the permit.
If you provide these information, then I can be able to give my opinions on the chances you have to get your permit.
(pls, state your present country of residence).

(1) (Reply)

Locomotive Trains Still Enjoy Global Popularity (pics) / Dv Lottery! How Do I Fill These? / Studying For An Msc Degree In South Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.