Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,851 members, 7,802,730 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:09 PM

Colonial Lies About Igbos: Killing Of Twins. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Colonial Lies About Igbos: Killing Of Twins. (2748 Views)

Photos: Killing Of Twins In Fct (Gwagwaladagist.com) / Lies About Oyo Empire / Some Unknown Facts About Igbos In America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Colonial Lies About Igbos: Killing Of Twins. by AlfaSeltzer(m): 11:05am On Aug 01, 2013
I have researched this. I can find absolutely no evidence of this alledged system of organised ritual massacre of our twin children as claimed by the white colonial evil christian missionaries. I am not saying that there were no cases of infanticide. But it was not exclusive to Igboland or Africa. Infact the champions of infanticide in history are white europeans, followed by the South Americans.

The evidence I found why there were very rare cases of twins in precolonial Igboland is that the second twin is either sold off, or given away or in very rare cases, made to serve the local deity but cannot be considered as a legitimate son for inheritance purposes. This does not apply to girls. There were many twin girls in igboland. Many girls were betrothed at birth and married away as soon as menstruation starts. She then becomes part and parcel of her husband's family. There were no divorces and no family records were kept.

When the missionaries came, they sought to give the dog a bad name in order to kill it. They demonised our culture. It was bad enough to separate twins at birth but they accused us of killing them because we kept no records of family lineages and speaking of twins were a taboo as were many things in those days.

I challenge the advocates of this malicious falsehood against Igbo people to provide one single piece of evidence that is not "he told me, I was told", to substantiate their claim.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Colonial Lies About Igbos: Killing Of Twins. by Abagworo(m): 11:37am On Aug 01, 2013
Alfa Seltzer: I have researched this. I can find absolutely no evidence of this alledged system of organised ritual massacre of our twin children as claimed by the white colonial evil christian missionaries. I am not saying that there were no cases of infanticide. But it was not exclusive to Igboland or Africa. Infact the champions of infanticide in history are white europeans, followed by the South Americans.

The evidence I found why there were very rare cases of twins in precolonial Igboland is that the second twin is either sold off, or given away or in very rare cases, made to serve the local deity but cannot be considered as a legitimate son for inheritance purposes. This does not apply to girls. There were many twin girls in igboland. Many girls were betrothed at birth and married away as soon as menstruation starts. She then becomes part and parcel of her husband's family. There were no divorces and no family records were kept.

When the missionaries came, they sought to give the dog a bad name in order to kill it. They demonised our culture. It was bad enough to separate twins at birth but they accused us of killing them because we kept no records of family lineages and speaking of twins were a taboo as were many things in those days.

I challenge the advocates of this malicious falsehood against Igbo people to provide one single piece of evidence that is not "he told me, I was told", to substantiate their claim.

We've treated this topic earlier. Some parts of Igbo killed twins but just like every other negative news, they made it more like a general Igbo issue. 90% of Igbos were not involved in twin killing.

www.nairaland.com/580915/does-one-knows-why-twins/2

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Colonial Lies About Igbos: Killing Of Twins. by TRHM: 5:59am On Nov 16, 2016
AlfaSeltzer:
I have researched this. I can find absolutely no evidence of this alledged system of organised ritual massacre of our twin children as claimed by the white colonial evil christian missionaries. I am not saying that there were no cases of infanticide. But it was not exclusive to Igboland or Africa. Infact the champions of infanticide in history are white europeans, followed by the South Americans.

May the Most High bless you for this....
most Igbos do not know that killing of twins was not an Igbo thing... but was as a result of Efik influence on Igboland.
This is why we must not let the Europeans write our history

(1) (Reply)

Opinion: Why The Alaga Iduro/ijoko Should Be Scrapped In Modern Yoruba Culture / Gaani Festival Okuta / Confam P.h Pidgin/slangs Here !! Rep Ur Area In P.h!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.