Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,726 members, 7,805,974 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:33 AM

PWC Or KPMG Which One Should I Choose? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / PWC Or KPMG Which One Should I Choose? (57502 Views)

I got two Job Offers, which should I choose? I'm Confused..... Advice Please!!!! / Entry-level Jobs At Pricewaterhousecoopers (pwc) - 12 October, 2015 / Kpmg Graduate Trainee Aptitude Test 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

PWC Or KPMG Which One Should I Choose? by ify4charm: 8:23pm On Aug 01, 2013
I got an offer with PWC to resume in oct and ve recently been called by KPMG for medicals to resume in Sept. Pls advise on the one i should choose.Thanks

2 Likes

Re: PWC Or KPMG Which One Should I Choose? by Phonon: 8:49pm On Aug 01, 2013
If there is anything like a tough choice,this is it.Both are great firms but for certain reasons some would say PwC.In the industry,PwC is very respected so is KPMG.KPMG is really expanding given the huge number(100) of persons they are recruiting just for their Audit division.YOU DON'T MOVE INTO SUCH AN IMPRESSIVE STRUCTURE IF YOU DON'T HAVE HUGE PLANS.It might come down to looking at compensation and benefits;that's what most people would look at.

2 Likes

Re: PWC Or KPMG Which One Should I Choose? by olabode89(m): 9:13pm On Aug 01, 2013
Congratz.......

Welcome to d big 4.

Let me advise u from my 8 months experience with one of d big 4 accounting firms
1. It's a great place to be, u are going to meet smart, brilliant, bossy, annoying and wonderful peeps. You are going to learn a lot willingly or forcefully grin .

2. You should have a plan! Know what you want... U can plan to be a Partner or get the audit experience and move to the industry.

... Wrt to the 2 offers, from interactions with friends @ both places PwC would b my choice because;

1. They pay more (yes, I like money)
2. They have a better work-life balance
3. They have d biggest market in naija (clients)

Also d unit u would like to work matters too, for KPMG u are aware of that from the interview stages but @ PwC u are placed in a unit after training.

Further more if u're not qualified @ KPMG u can only sit for ICAN while @ PwC u have d liberty of sitting for either ICAN or ACCA.

I hope u come up with the best decision.

Bodmania!!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: PWC Or KPMG Which One Should I Choose? by Nobody: 10:14pm On Aug 01, 2013
Hello Ify,

Ola has said almost all you need to know. I will add the little I can.

1) PwC pays between 165k and 180k to their fresh graduates.

2) Promotion in PwC is relatively faster. Moving from the first level Associate to the third level will take you a year and half if you perform VERY well. I believe KPMG takes a longer time.

3) If you are in FSIP unit then forget about work-life balance in PwC because there are times you might be required to work overnight.

4) If you are in other Assurance units e.g CIPS, ENERGY etc then this might be a bit better. ENERGY is a better unit in my opinion.

5) If you happen to be in their TAX unit then you can have the much desired work/life balance. And you get paid more than those in Assurance (FSIP, ENERGY, CIPS etc).

6) If you choose PwC please I beg you in the name of God, try and lobby your way out of FSIP if you eventually get sent there. The fear of FSIP is the beginning of wisdom.

In all PwC is a fun place to work and I will recommend it to anyone.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: PWC Or KPMG Which One Should I Choose? by Phonon: 10:49pm On Aug 01, 2013
So KPMG does not give one the option of writing ACCA even if one is willing to bear the extra cost?I don't want to cram my way through ICAN;I really want to know the stuff...
Re: PWC Or KPMG Which One Should I Choose? by ify4charm: 11:27pm On Aug 01, 2013
Thanks y'all really appreciate your contributions.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: PWC Or KPMG Which One Should I Choose? by Obi1kenobi(m): 1:42am On Aug 02, 2013
What a wonderful conundrum to be in. I'm so jealous seeing as my 2:2 would never land me in those 2 firms. grin
Hope you make a choice you'll find fulfilling.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: PWC Or KPMG Which One Should I Choose? by Nobody: 2:02am On Aug 02, 2013
Obi1kenobi: What a wonderful conundrum to be in. I'm so jealous seeing as my 2:2 would never land me in those 2 firms. grin
Hope you make a choice you'll find fulfilling.

Lol!!!

Not too long ago, PwC was accepting graduates with 2:2 but then the candidates MUST have made at least 6 distinctions in their o'level.
Re: PWC Or KPMG Which One Should I Choose? by Obi1kenobi(m): 3:18am On Aug 02, 2013
Calculus12:

Lol!!!

Not too long ago, PwC was accepting graduates with 2:2 but then the candidates MUST have made at least 6 distinctions in their o'level.

I made all distinctions in my O'levels but I'm sure they won't even look at my CV twice. I heard even with a good Masters (which I'm about starting in the UK), there's still next to no hope. I don suffer since my service finished in June. grin

3 Likes

Re: PWC Or KPMG Which One Should I Choose? by Nobody: 3:28am On Aug 02, 2013
Obi1kenobi:

I made all distinctions in my O'levels but I'm sure they won't even look at my CV twice. I heard even with a good Masters (which I'm about starting in the UK), there's still next to no hope. I don suffer since my service finished in June. grin

The strictly 2:1 thing is quite new to PwC because before now they even accept HND graduates.
Re: PWC Or KPMG Which One Should I Choose? by joboy834: 11:39am On Aug 02, 2013
Calculus12: Hello Ify,

Ola has said almost all you need to know. I will add the little I can.

1) PwC pays between 165k and 180k to their fresh graduates.

2) Promotion in PwC is relatively faster. Moving from the first level Associate to the third level will take you a year and half if you perform VERY well. I believe KPMG takes a longer time.

3) If you are in FSIP unit then forget about work-life balance in PwC because there are times you might be required to work overnight.

4) If you are in other Assurance units e.g CIPS, ENERGY etc then this might be a bit better. ENERGY is a better unit in my opinion.

5) If you happen to be in their TAX unit then you can have the much desired work/life balance. And you get paid more than those in Assurance (FSIP, ENERGY, CIPS etc).

6) If you choose PwC please I beg you in the name of God, try and lobby your way out of FSIP if you eventually get sent there. The fear of FSIP is the beginning of wisdom.

In all PwC is a fun place to work and I will recommend it to anyone.

Pls I need clarity. What's the full meaning of FSIP,CIPS? Why is the pay in Tax more than assurance and by what margin?

Can you kindly list the units in Assurance dept?
And what is the basis of allocation into those depts after training school.

I'm to resume with them by Oct 2, so please I need these clarifications.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: PWC Or KPMG Which One Should I Choose? by Nobody: 12:29pm On Aug 02, 2013
joboy834:

Pls I need clarity. What's the full meaning of FSIP,CIPS?

What you need to know is that FSIP is the unit that handles all Financial Services audit e.g Bank jobs, Insurance companies etc it is usually called FSI which may mean Financial Services Industries.

CIPS which is an acronym for Consumer Industrial Products and Services is the unit which handles the audit requirements of all consumer goods industry. Broadly speaking, they handle all FMCG companies to include Telecoms and Manufacturing companies.

ENERGY unit like the name implies handles the audit of Oil and Gas companies. It's name is derived from the kind of audit they are involved in.

joboy834:
Why is the pay in Tax more than assurance and by what margin?

PwC is a professional firm that sells a particular professional service. It's greatest asset is it's staff. Remuneration and promotion is greatly skewed towards the contribution of each member staff towards overall revenue and growth of the firm.

Those in the TAX unit earn more for the firm in terms of their charge-out rates and as a result they are paid more than those in Assurance (Audit).

In 2012 a first level assistant consultant in TAX has a charge-out rate of NGN9,600 (about USD 60)per hour, while a first level Assurance associate had a charge-out rate of just NGN8,000 (about USD 50)per hour.

So you can see that those in TAX bring in more money per hour of service rendered than those in Assurance. The charge-out rate is the amount charged to a client by each client facing staff.

The margin for first level Associate and a first level TAX consultant is in the region of about NGN 20,000 to NGN 50,000. There is also difference in salaries based on other factors like whether one is chartered or not but the salary differential based on this criterion is not too significant.

joboy834:
Can you kindly list the units in Assurance dept?

1) ENERGY (2) CIPS - This unit has two components (3) FSIP (4) PSG - This unit was carved out from CIPS (5) SPA - This unit has been broken down to various units but on the whole they are in charge of the firm's IT audit.

joboy834:
And what is the basis of allocation into those depts after training school.

The basis is largely confidential and is done by HC (Human Capital); but we cannot rule out lobbying. Generally if you have a relative already in a unit, the firm's policy does not permit you to be in the same unit with your relative.

joboy834:
I'm to resume with them by Oct 2, so please I need these clarifications.

Thanks

Congratulations! PwC can be a fun place to work!

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: PWC Or KPMG Which One Should I Choose? by dahmie2013: 1:11pm On Aug 02, 2013
@ OP Congrats, u should really be proud of urself. Some ppl will do anything 2 get wat u got. There's nothing more 2 add, calculus and olabode did a good job exposing the attributes of both firms. The rest is left for u 2 deside, all d best dear. May God give u wisdom. wink

1 Like

Re: PWC Or KPMG Which One Should I Choose? by mkoabiola: 3:02pm On Aug 02, 2013
Snc ds two firms don't accept grade of 2.2 or lower as 4 HND.
Do dey accept volunteer jus to gain d xpereience.
Abi snc person no make 2.1 dat doesn't mean is not brilliant.
Pls,guys contribute ooo,cos I really need to work with ds Accounting lower credit,no b my fault oo,cos I no nearly cannot kill a bird.
Re: PWC Or KPMG Which One Should I Choose? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Aug 02, 2013
Re: PWC Or KPMG Which One Should I Choose? by Nobody: 4:41pm On Aug 02, 2013
onyijess:

Hi calculus, pls do U work in pwc? I recently joined pwc. Can I send U a mail?

From the information I have given so far, what do you think?

If you want to do me a mail then send to calculus112@yahoo.com

Since you say you are in PwC then send the mail using your official @ng.pwc.com e-mail.

2 Likes

Re: PWC Or KPMG Which One Should I Choose? by Phonon: 4:58pm On Aug 02, 2013
Calculus12:

Since you say you are in PwC then send the mail using your official @ng.pwc.com e-mail.
Re: PWC Or KPMG Which One Should I Choose? by joboy834: 5:14pm On Aug 02, 2013
Phonon:

I think so kiss

1 Like

Re: PWC Or KPMG Which One Should I Choose? by Phonon: 5:39pm On Aug 02, 2013
Thank goodness someone understood what I wrote. Phew..........

joboy834: I think so kiss
Re: PWC Or KPMG Which One Should I Choose? by DgRaNdShErifF(m): 5:54pm On Aug 02, 2013
Calculus12:

It seems like u prefer CADBURY to PWC, nd dat's why u are still in for the cadbury wholesale nd retail manager position?
Re: PWC Or KPMG Which One Should I Choose? by Nobody: 5:58pm On Aug 02, 2013
D_gRaNd_ShErifF:
It seems like u prefer CADBURY to PWC, nd dat's why u are still in for the cadbury wholesale nd retail manager position?

Always on the lookout for a 'better' deal.

1 Like

Re: PWC Or KPMG Which One Should I Choose? by DgRaNdShErifF(m): 1:54am On Aug 03, 2013
Calculus12:

I see kiss
Calculus12:

I see
Re: PWC Or KPMG Which One Should I Choose? by ArmaniNG: 2:39pm On Aug 03, 2013
Lol...@ ify4charm, there are quite a couple of us in this same predicament. Anyway thanks for the thread, it's enlightened me as well

2 Likes

Re: PWC Or KPMG Which One Should I Choose? by chidike(m): 3:55pm On Aug 03, 2013
Chai! sure hope I'm placed in tax cone October when I resume.
@ calculus: please what department travels the most? and works on some weekends?
Re: PWC Or KPMG Which One Should I Choose? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Aug 03, 2013
chidike: Chai! sure hope I'm placed in tax cone October when I resume.
@ calculus: please what department travels the most? and works on some weekends?

CIPS and SPA travel most! If you are lucky to be on some jobs, you might even travel to South Africa for audit purposes. Weekend jobs are not usual unless you have some deadline to meet which you can't work around in just the five working days.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: PWC Or KPMG Which One Should I Choose? by Naffysah: 9:03pm On Aug 03, 2013
@ifycharm, Thanks! I'm in d same predicament as urself n trust me, dis thread has further helped me in d quest to settle for one. I guess I made my choice finally
@Armani NG, did tell u , ur a darling! Thanks dear
Re: PWC Or KPMG Which One Should I Choose? by ify4charm: 9:31pm On Aug 03, 2013
Armani_NG: Lol...@ ify4charm, there are quite a couple of us in this same predicament. Anyway thanks for the thread, it's enlightened me as well

yeah i think there are but the other person i know is already working with E&Y and was called for medicals by KPMG.I do not know her decision though.So tell me, what is your decision?
Re: PWC Or KPMG Which One Should I Choose? by yomihagin: 9:38pm On Aug 03, 2013
I read online that management consulting unit (strategy ) under advisory is the best unit in pwc because you get intensive intellectual development, exposure to multiple and varied clients, training opportunities and opportunities to travel.I also heard it is one of the most difficult units to enter into.Does anybody have an opinion on this.Thank you

2 Likes

Re: PWC Or KPMG Which One Should I Choose? by Nobody: 9:42pm On Aug 03, 2013
yomihagin: I read online that management consulting unit (strategy ) under advisory is the best unit in pwc because you get intensive intellectual development, exposure to multiple and varied clients, training opportunities and opportunities to travel.I also heard it is one of the most difficult units to enter into.Does anybody have an opinion on this.Thank you

Definitely not PwC Nigeria!!!

If you want a career in advisory then the choices should be:

First choice: Accenture

Second choice: KPMG

Third choice: Maybe PwC

1 Like 1 Share

Re: PWC Or KPMG Which One Should I Choose? by Phonon: 9:58pm On Aug 03, 2013
Does anyone have detailed information on KPMG just like the one Calculus12 is dishing out about PwC?The thread is heavily skewed in favour of PwC.I am guessing it helps if one sees the pros and cons of both companies side by side.

4 Likes

Re: PWC Or KPMG Which One Should I Choose? by ify4charm: 10:48pm On Aug 03, 2013
Naffysah: @ifycharm, Thanks! I'm in d same predicament as urself n trust me, dis thread has further helped me in d quest to settle for one. I guess I made my choice finally
@Armani NG, did tell u , ur a darling! Thanks dear

@Naffysah, you r welcome. I am really impressed by all the contributions.This thread has enabled me make a decision but hope i get placed n a good dept.what is your decision now?
Re: PWC Or KPMG Which One Should I Choose? by ify4charm: 11:13pm On Aug 03, 2013
Not so keen on KPMG after all these info. The partner who interviwed was for financial services audit and menh! He was not nice at all. I was even surprised to be successful. Heard that is the hardest dept n audit.Need a balance n my life.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Frank Uduak-Akpan Father: If Death Penalty Is His Punishment, He Should Face It / Italian Girl Refused Job Because She Has A Nigerian Fiance / Direct Short Service (nigerian Customs Is Out: )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.