Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,339 members, 7,780,890 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:59 AM

Nairaland's Literature Quiz...you Can Join Anytime - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nairaland's Literature Quiz...you Can Join Anytime (6045 Views)

The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs / Nairaland Literature Award Winners / Nairaland Literature Awards Of The Year. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland's Literature Quiz...you Can Join Anytime by Nobody: 4:44pm On Aug 31, 2013
Diamondwriter: Chinue achebe
Diamondwriter----4

Q.3
which figure of speech is defined as the direct comparison of objects is called ____
Re: Nairaland's Literature Quiz...you Can Join Anytime by princesa(f): 5:08pm On Aug 31, 2013
err.. metaphor grin
Re: Nairaland's Literature Quiz...you Can Join Anytime by Nobody: 5:12pm On Aug 31, 2013
princesa: err.. metaphor grin
Metaphor
Re: Nairaland's Literature Quiz...you Can Join Anytime by Nobody: 5:16pm On Aug 31, 2013
ibkaye:
Metaphor
princesa: err.. metaphor grin
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Re: Nairaland's Literature Quiz...you Can Join Anytime by chocopearl(f): 6:06pm On Aug 31, 2013
Simile
Re: Nairaland's Literature Quiz...you Can Join Anytime by Diamondwriter(m): 6:14pm On Aug 31, 2013
Re: Nairaland's Literature Quiz...you Can Join Anytime by Nobody: 6:15pm On Aug 31, 2013
chocopearl: Simile
chocopearl-------

Q4
what is playing on words called in literature?
Re: Nairaland's Literature Quiz...you Can Join Anytime by Diamondwriter(m): 6:19pm On Aug 31, 2013
Divepen:
chocopearl-------

Q4
what is playing on words called in literature?
pun AKA paranomasia
Re: Nairaland's Literature Quiz...you Can Join Anytime by VanTee20(m): 6:44pm On Aug 31, 2013
Mynd_44:
Wrong....it is Charles chickenstonguetongue

Sharles Chickens? I don't think so tongue tongue.
Re: Nairaland's Literature Quiz...you Can Join Anytime by VanTee20(m): 6:46pm On Aug 31, 2013
princesa:
omo yoruba ni e gan grin

Beeni o grin grin
Re: Nairaland's Literature Quiz...you Can Join Anytime by VanTee20(m): 6:47pm On Aug 31, 2013
Diamondwriter: Chinue achebe

Not correctly spelt too angry angry
Re: Nairaland's Literature Quiz...you Can Join Anytime by Nobody: 6:58pm On Aug 31, 2013
Okay vantee----1 point for not checking Diamondwriter's spelling
Diamondwriter: pun AKA paranomasia
Diamondwriter-----5

New Question
what are the dominating genres of literature in Nairaland
Re: Nairaland's Literature Quiz...you Can Join Anytime by princesa(f): 7:01pm On Aug 31, 2013
Divepen:
chocopearl-------

what are you saying teacher! shocked shocked

its metaphor Jo, direct comparison without the use of 'as' or 'like' is metaphor,but when you use those twin its called simile...sad

now share the one point between me and pweeety crush ibkaye grin

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Literature Quiz...you Can Join Anytime by princesa(f): 7:03pm On Aug 31, 2013
Divepen:
Okay vantee----1 point for not checking Diamondwriter's spelling

Diamondwriter-----5

New Question
romancecheesy
Re: Nairaland's Literature Quiz...you Can Join Anytime by Diamondwriter(m): 7:07pm On Aug 31, 2013
Divepen: Okay vantee----1 point for not checking Diamondwriter's spelling

Diamondwriter-----5

New Question
romance,action,tragic-comedy
Re: Nairaland's Literature Quiz...you Can Join Anytime by Diamondwriter(m): 7:09pm On Aug 31, 2013
Prose and poetry
Re: Nairaland's Literature Quiz...you Can Join Anytime by Nobody: 7:56pm On Aug 31, 2013
princesa:

its metaphor Jo, direct comparison without the use of 'as' or 'like' is metaphor,but when you use those twin its called simile...sad

when something is compared directly it is used to point at that thing directly by using as and like

Diamondwriter one post per answer
Re: Nairaland's Literature Quiz...you Can Join Anytime by princesa(f): 10:07pm On Aug 31, 2013
Divepen:

when something is compared directly it is used to point at that thing directly by using as and like
pls Google it sirsmiley
Re: Nairaland's Literature Quiz...you Can Join Anytime by Nobody: 10:09pm On Aug 31, 2013
princesa:

Lol thank you jare
Re: Nairaland's Literature Quiz...you Can Join Anytime by Nobody: 10:17pm On Aug 31, 2013
princesa:
pls Google it sirsmiley

mumsy thatz the way we were tot in d univ.
Yoruba will call it 'Afiwe Tara'
that is a direct comparison..if i want to compare you directly with princess diana ..i would say she is as beautiful as princess Diana but indirectly u r princess diana ...indirect comparison brings the question of how
e.g he is a lion --people as how
Re: Nairaland's Literature Quiz...you Can Join Anytime by princesa(f): 10:37pm On Aug 31, 2013
Divepen:

mumsy thatz the way we were tot in d univ.
Yoruba will call it 'Afiwe Tara'
that is a direct comparison..if i want to compare you directly with princess diana ..i would say she is as beautiful as princess Diana but indirectly u r princess diana ...indirect comparison brings the question of how
e.g he is a lion --people as how

and i don't doubt that comparisons such as that can be made, that's not my point! The example you gave are perfectno doubt.

All am saying is that the real answer to ur question is metaphor and not simile, because a comparison without the use of 'as' or 'like' is called a metaphorical comparison...

Now using your example,

he is like/as a lion when it comes to meat = simile

he is a lion when it comes to meat = metaphor

do you get what i mean now!
Phew!
Re: Nairaland's Literature Quiz...you Can Join Anytime by princesa(f): 10:40pm On Aug 31, 2013
ibkaye:
Lol thank you jare
u're welcome tweety, but we are yet to win the casewink
Re: Nairaland's Literature Quiz...you Can Join Anytime by Nobody: 11:14pm On Aug 31, 2013
princesa:

and i don't doubt that comparisons such as that can be made, that's not my point! The example you gave are perfectno doubt.

All am saying is that the real answer to ur question is metaphor and not simile, because a comparison without the use of 'as' or 'like' is called a metaphorical comparison...

Now using your example,

he is like/as a lion when it comes to meat = simile

he is a lion when it comes to meat = metaphor

do you get what i mean now!
Phew!
Divepen: Okay vantee----1 point for not checking Diamondwriter's spelling

Diamondwriter-----5

New Question
remember one post per answer

i will give you a point
Re: Nairaland's Literature Quiz...you Can Join Anytime by princesa(f): 11:43pm On Aug 31, 2013
Divepen:

i will give you a point
princesa or vantee

If it's me, i hope the point is for the first ever question i got right but you gave to chocopearlsad
Re: Nairaland's Literature Quiz...you Can Join Anytime by Nobody: 11:55pm On Aug 31, 2013
princesa:
princesa or vantee

If it's me, i hope the point is for the first ever question i got right but you gave to chocopearlsad
is someone vexing
Re: Nairaland's Literature Quiz...you Can Join Anytime by princesa(f): 12:07am On Sep 01, 2013
Divepen:
is someone vexing
yes oh, someone is vexing sad

*cries loudly*
give me my one point! Give me my one point, its what i merited! I need my one point, oh no! Just my one point divepen, give it to me! embarassed embarassed
Re: Nairaland's Literature Quiz...you Can Join Anytime by Nobody: 7:03am On Sep 01, 2013
princesa:
yes oh, someone is vexing sad

*cries loudly*
give me my one point! Give me my one point, its what i merited! I need my one point, oh no! Just my one point divepen, give it to me! embarassed embarassed
i will give you a point if you win that question
Re: Nairaland's Literature Quiz...you Can Join Anytime by princesa(f): 12:34pm On Sep 01, 2013
Divepen:
i will give you a point if you win that question
and i insist that i got the answer right! Its metaphor! But If its not, then tell me what it is, and don't you dare even whisper simile! angry
Re: Nairaland's Literature Quiz...you Can Join Anytime by Nobody: 12:53pm On Sep 01, 2013
princesa:
and i insist that i got the answer right! Its metaphor! But If its not, then tell me what it is, and don't you dare even whisper simile! angry

i said i wll gv u a point more if u ansa d last question i asked
Re: Nairaland's Literature Quiz...you Can Join Anytime by chocopearl(f): 1:15pm On Sep 01, 2013
princesa:

my dear princesa d answer to dat question is simply SIMILE, metaphor only says dat one thing is d other. The former gives d direct comparison of objects using as or like.
Re: Nairaland's Literature Quiz...you Can Join Anytime by Nobody: 1:23pm On Sep 01, 2013
chocopearl:
my dear princesa d answer to dat question is simply SIMILE, metaphor only says dat one thing is d other. The former gives d direct comparison of objects using as or like.
thank u my sista
Re: Nairaland's Literature Quiz...you Can Join Anytime by Nobody: 8:21am On Sep 02, 2013
Diamondwriter: Prose and poetry
there are two answers in this one

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Is This For Real? / Moon Man / The Literature Fun Thread - Stephen King Fans! Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.