Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,883 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:29 AM

Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks (33811 Views)

My View On The Igbos From An Anioma Guy. / Fashola Replies Peter Obi Over Alleged Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos / Massob, Aka-Ikenga Condemn The Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by naptu2: 1:44pm On Aug 02, 2013
naptu2: [size=14pt]Background and context [/size]

Unfortunately, the Lagos State Ministry of Justice website has not been the same since it was attacked by hackers early this year. I was going to repost the environmental sanitation act.

Environmental sanitation law has always been controversial in Lagos. People always complain about the state of the environment, but they complain even more when government takes steps to remedy the situation.

Back in the 1980s people often quoted the report that stated that Lagos was the dirtiest city in the world. Foreign news stations often showed pictures of Oshodi, kids hawking in traffic (dodging cars, etc), heaps of refuse on road median, etc. The people often complain about the presence of lunatics who wander the streets aimlessly.

Government response to these problems have included:

1) Colonial governments deploying health inspectors (the infamous "Wole Wole" ) to ensure that houses, markets, etc were kept clean. The people hated these health inspectors and accused them of bribery (I remember comedy sketches which depicted health inspectors stealing meat from people's pots in the guise of ensuring that the food was suitable for consumption).

2) Military governments deploying soldiers, policemen and other officials (environmental offences task force) to chase away beggars, street traders and other offenders. It was seen as a futile effort, because the traders and beggars would return to the same spot hours later. The law was amended to include the forfeiture of goods seized during such raids and imprisonment of offenders. The task force would seize the goods and burn them. Fela Anikulapo-Kuti sang

The time around 1975 and '77, police go seize expensive goods dem go start to burn burn them. Army go go market, anything cost money go burn burn dem (2x).

Why dem like to burn the things wey dey costee money? Government fit sell to people cheape cheape. Government fit dash people wey no get money.
And the burn burn na im dey sweet dem pass (burn and bribe). Na im dey sweet them pass. Oya oh, burn burn.
(Fela Anikulapo-Kuti, "Confusion Break Bone", c1980)

The people were sympathetic towards the traders and beggars and believed that the task force was cruel and inhuman. The public felt that these people were only trying to earn a living and their presence on the streets was a result of the economic decline caused by the government. It was also felt that sentencing these people to jail would mean sending them to a training centre where they would learn how to become hardened criminals (besides, the prisons were already over crowded. How many prisons would be built to accomodate the vast army of beggars and street traders?).

3) The return to civilian rule in 1999 ushered in a wave of ammendments to the law. The year 2000 amendment created the Kick Against Indiscipline Corps (basically, the environment police) and made the public-private system the only legal means of disposing waste in Lagos. It became illegal to patronise cart pushers and residents were given bin bags for free. Several markets were also closed because the market men and women engaged in street trading and improper means of disposing refuse.

The 2003 amendment presented offenders with 3 choices, rehabilitation, repatriation or jail.

This amendment was made because the government realised that the prison system was over crowded and thus it would not make sense to keep sending people who break the environmental sanitation laws to jail.

Sending them to jail also created bad publicity for the government. Offenders would often be more hardened and a greater danger to the society when they were released than when they were sent to jail. It was therefore decided that jail term would be a last resort.

Offenders would be given a second chance at life via the rehabilitation process. They could also choose to return to their home state via the repatriation process (some realised that it's better to farm in their home state, than to sleep on the streets of Lagos). Their home state government or relatives would be informed ahead of time, so that they can take steps to rehabilitate the returnees. For example, in the documentary I watched, the Kano State Government gave returnees some money to ease the process of resettlement.

Indeed, it was discovered that gangs of criminals act as agents, ferrying people from their home states to Lagos for a fee, promising them jobs when they get to Lagos and subsequently dumping them on the streets of Lagos. These gangs are particularly active in Kano State and Niger Republic. The City of Kano used to be the great economic centre of the sahel region of Africa. People came from far and wide to work in the factories in Kano City. However, chronic electricity cuts have led to the closure of many factories. Criminal gangs promise to help these people get jobs as security guards, okada riders, etc in Lagos in exchange for a fee and dump the people on the streets of Lagos.

In contrast, the rehabilitation and repatriation process would change the lives of offenders and enable them to become respectable and independent citizens.

Further amendments to the law since 2007 (Fashola administration) have made it illegal to give alms to beggars. Citizens are expected to channel such donations to registered charities, orphanages, destitute's homes, churches, mosques and other such institutions. It also provided the option of community service for people who break the law.

It should be noted that, under the law as it was before the 2003 amendment, the people who are currently being returned, would have been sent to jail.

Finally, it's a pity that the author of the article that the OP republished did such a shoddy job. He should have interviewed the returnees and then interviewed Lagos State Government officials. This would enable the public to know whether the scheme is still being implemented the way it was conceived, or whether it has derailed (the rehabilitation process suffered a setback when the Ita-Oko centre was burnt by inmates. Please ignore the bigotry in the link https://www.nairaland.com/400138/area-boys-lagos-ibadan-action ). Rather than doing this, the author wrote a sensational piece (probably to maximise sales/views) that made it seem like the returnees were forcibly deported and that they were returned simply because of their state of origin.

2 Likes

Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Nobody: 1:44pm On Aug 02, 2013
Afam4eva: Now, the issue has moved from whether it's constitutional to drive Nigerians out of a state to whether or not Fashola communicated with Peter Obi about the action. Whether or not he did does not take away the fact that it's immoral to deport a citizen of a country within the country. I don't care whether Anambra or Akwa-Ibom has done it previously. It is wrong. Every state government should cater for the Nigerians they find in their abode. Afterall, states are given allocations based on their population and other variables. If the government were to give allocations based on state of origin then Lagos will probably receive the smallest allocation. let our leaders be wise and not take actions that will heat up the already heated polity.

You can only argue on the basis of morality and not law....if any Ibo man...woman ...group feels that Fashola has trampled on the law.....why is any of you shying away from approaching the court....?

Stop talking blindly pls.
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by PeterKbaba: 1:45pm On Aug 02, 2013
[b]

IN 2011 29 Arrested in Awka and Onitsha, and repatriated to their home states; Ebonyi and
Akwa Ibom states.

The Anambra state government has issued a warning to all
street beggars, especially children used by their parents to
beg for alms, to vacate the streets or be arrested.

29 of such women who displayed their children as strategy
for getting alms have already been arrested in Awka and
Onitsha, and repatriated to their home states; Ebonyi and
Akwa Ibom states.

The state commissioner for Women Affairs and Social
Development, Dr. Ego Cordelia Uzoezie, disclosed Friday in
Awka when a middle-aged woman was arrested for begging
with nine children at various points in Awka.

Uzoezie said her attention was drawn to the spectacle when
one of the children who begged at the Unizik junction, Awka,
six-year-old Goodnews Sunday, was hit in the jaw by an
Okada rider, while he begged
Uzoezie decried the attitude of some parents who used their
children to beg for alms, and warned that after 72 hours any
beggar seen in the state would be arrested by the law
enforcement agents and the special task force of the ministry
of women affairs and social development.

http://leadership.ng/nga/articles/9600/2011/12/04/anambra_orders_arrest_child_beggars.html[/b]

Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Demswear4u: 1:45pm On Aug 02, 2013
[quote author=naptu2][/quote]where did you get this nonsense from?
Is this the position of LASG or the position Of Naptu?
And btw,None of those people that were deported to onitsha chose to return.
They were kidnapped and deported.

2 Likes

Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Nobody: 1:46pm On Aug 02, 2013
Demswear4u?:
when and how it will happen is none of your business.
The only thing you need to know is that it will happen.

Shut up and act....!
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Nobody: 1:46pm On Aug 02, 2013
ilugunboy:

Only Ibos that want to make political gains and the utterly deluded ones are stoking the fire.....

Reasonable and everyday Ibos here in Lagos are in perfect agreement
Exactly, its the work of the NNO, check thieir monickers
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by sunto: 1:47pm On Aug 02, 2013
some people are INGRATES one of the man he sent home told the press polish arrested him and fashola free him and told him to paid the price of going home to rearrange his come back.

i no a friend not a igbo who spent two month in jail for nothing he was bell with N85,000
and see an ingrate and his people crying for inferiority.
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Nobody: 1:47pm On Aug 02, 2013
ilugunboy:

You can only argue on the basis of morality and not law....if any Ibo man...woman ...group feels that Fashola has trampled on the law.....why is any of you shying away from approaching the court....?

Shouting at him will not erase his post.
Igbos will choose how and when and where to pressurise and push Fashola back.
The best for now is to make ACN in Anambra State bleed for it. Next time he will think well before deportations.
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Afam4eva(m): 1:47pm On Aug 02, 2013
ilugunboy:

The action negates morality and the law. Tell me where it's written in the constitution that a Nigerian can be deported from a state.
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by naptu2: 1:48pm On Aug 02, 2013
ilugunboy:

Only Ibos that want to make political gains and the utterly deluded ones are stoking the fire.....

Reasonable and everyday Ibos here in Lagos are in perfect agreement

You are right and I already know this. I know it's a co-ordinated attack. But I'm not posting because of these people. I'm posting because of the young impressionable minds that might get poisoned by the hate that these people spew. Their goal is to sow hatred in the minds of people and they even take on false identities in order to do this (I know all about that), but I will oppose their message of hatred every step of the way.

4 Likes

Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Nobody: 1:49pm On Aug 02, 2013
Obiagelli:
Exactly, its the work of the NNO, check thieir monickers

Of course we know.....Onlytruth and PointB have succeeded in brainwashing a whole lot of them.....

But they are on an impossible mission.

The truth will always catch up and overtake their lies....
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Afam4eva(m): 1:50pm On Aug 02, 2013
I'm not even towing the path of those that have labelled this action, one against Igbos. If Fashola has deported Yorubas and Hausas from Lagos then he should be given the benefit of the doubt in that regard. I'm only concerned about the legality of this action.
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Nobody: 1:50pm On Aug 02, 2013
Afam4eva:
The action negates morality and the law. Tell me where it's written in the constitution that a Nigerian can be deported from a state.

Simply head to the nearest court....let the law be tested up to the Supreme Court....
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by xrisdon(m): 1:50pm On Aug 02, 2013
ilugunboy: Well..Ibos will never accept any reasonable explanation .......am sure even if GEJ try to explain the issue...they will threaten him with withdrawal of their phantom support.

Now the question is ....what would they do?

good question :
1, there so called ACN ,APC will never smell power in anambra in particuler and SE, SS in general
2, thats the end of there man ngige, he can never win an election in anambra state, be it governor
3, ngige) will never be re elected in the senate so after his present tenure he will simply go back to his brothers(yorubas)
4, your beloved APC will continue to be regional party and therefor will drop the dream of ruling this country!
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by greggng: 1:50pm On Aug 02, 2013
IS A SHAME THAT FASHOLAS KIND GESTURE IS NOW BEING POLITICIZE BY THOSE THAT MEANT EVIL FOR THIS NATION. I AM AN IGBO MAN AND I SEE NOTHING WRONG IN WHAT FASHOLA DID.THE CHALLENGE IS ON IGBO PEOPLE TO BE THEIR BROTHERS KEEPERS.WE ARE SELF CENTERED PEOPLE AND ONLY CARE ABOUT OURSELVES.

IF THOSE DEPORTEES ARE IGBOS, LET THE GOVERNOR OF THEIR STATES ACCEPT THEM AND MAKE THERE LIFE'S MORE MEANINGFUL. I DONT SUPPORT EVIL IF AM IN FASHOLAS SHOES I WILL DO SAME.I MUST COMMEND HIM FOR TAKEN CARE OF THEM .THE BALL IS NOW IN THE COURT OF THEIR STATES GOVERNORS/RELATIVES.

FINALLY, WE SHOULD AS A PEOPLE FIGHT FOR THINGS THAT WILL BE BENEFICIAL TO THE MASSES.THINGS LIKE SOCIAL BENEFIT THAT COULD TAKE CARE OF THE UNEMPLOYED AND SOCIAL MISCREANTS.IF THE LAW GUARANTEES THIS, THEN SITUATIONS LIKE THIS WILL BE A THING OF THE PAST.THIS WAY FASHOLA WILL HAVE LOTS OF MONEY TO TAKE CARE OF THEM KNOWING FULLY WELL THAT THE FEDERAL GOVT WILL ALWAYS MAKE PROVISION FOR IT.THIS IS MY OPINION

2 Likes

Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Demswear4u: 1:51pm On Aug 02, 2013
Afam4eva:
I am baffled by the bigot.
The kidnapp and Deportation of citizens from their own country is not a question of law?
Wow.
Fashola's only saving grace is that he currently has immunity,he would have been sued to hell.

1 Like

Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by naptu2: 1:52pm On Aug 02, 2013
That's why I said it'll only get interesting. Chris Ngige has gone, has heard and we've seen his report. Aka Ikenga will go, will hear and we'll see their report.

Some people keep saying that it's unconstitutional. Ok, if it's unconstitutional, why don't you go to court. Fashola has laid down a challenge that you should go to court, let's hear what the court has to say about the matter. That should be much better than trying to whip up sentiments, shouldn't it?
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Nobody: 1:52pm On Aug 02, 2013
PeterKbaba: [b]

IN 2011 29 Arrested in Awka and Onitsha, and repatriated to their home states; Ebonyi and
Akwa Ibom states.

Akwa Ibom states.

http://leadership.ng/nga/articles/9600/2011/12/04/anambra_orders_arrest_child_beggars.html[/b]

Assuming this your fake news article is true.
You are well aware that any form of employment of children or child labour is an offence recognised within the laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
Walking down the street is not an offence except in the eyes of Lagos State Governor
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by frederal(m): 1:52pm On Aug 02, 2013
Blatant lie! The victims had by themselves talked how it happened. Anyway, Ngige, see u at the poll. We await u
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by delors(m): 1:52pm On Aug 02, 2013
oshyno: When you think it will get better for Ngige it turns South again. He just shot himself on the foot by endorsing this inhuman act of Fashola simply bcuz u are frm same party. Dumb move IMO.
So because of politics, truth should not be told? How do you think actually? Even after all the explanations and diplomatic handling of the issue! Na wah o...people like you will never be reasonable...at all
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Duru1(m): 1:53pm On Aug 02, 2013
Ada Nri1: wonder what a woman Like you will teach her children. In the face of truth you have chosen to play the tribalism
card. Have you bothered to ask these simple questions? 1. Were those people brought there in the wee hours of the morning or not?
2. Were they all Anambra indegenes or not?
3. Were they all destitutes without family ties in Lagos ?
Just be honest and the truth shall set you free

Please do not denigrate the sanctity of womanhood by referring to the wastepipe as a woman.
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Nobody: 1:53pm On Aug 02, 2013
xrisdon:

good question :
1, there so called ACN ,APC will never smell power in anambra in particuler and SE, SS in general
2, thats the end of there man ngige, he can never win an election in anambra state, be it governor
3, ngige) will never be re elected in the senate so after his present tenure he will simply go back to his brothers(yorubas)
4, your beloved APC will continue to be regional party and therefor will drop the dream of ruling this country!

So says a bigoted Ibo boy... grin
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by manny4life(m): 1:54pm On Aug 02, 2013
ilugunboy:

Simply head to the nearest court....let the law be tested up to the Supreme Court....

This is where I faulted "The Retardeen", before waiting for it to be tested, e should have used executive authority on this Fashola dude, it's he Fashola that will cry out to the courts. Fashola did not respect principles of the law, no deference to our Constitution, where is the social and ethical validity?
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by sunto: 1:54pm On Aug 02, 2013
hatred is like an acid it destroy the container also.
Demswear4u?:
There will be retaliation.
I can assure you.

1 Like

Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Afam4eva(m): 1:55pm On Aug 02, 2013
ilugunboy:

Thanks for removing your shoe and running away. I thought you were so sure that it was legal. Next time speak of something you know.
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by PointB: 1:55pm On Aug 02, 2013
naptu2:

Who agreed to have the transfer done there? Wasn't it the Anambra State Government? Why didn't they show up? How come there was no controversy when Akwa-Ibom State had a transfer with the Lagos State Government? What do you even know about this policy? Do you think this is the first time people have been relocated? Do you know that even Lagos indigenes are re-integrated within Lagos?

Isn't this just another one of your ploys to whip up sentiments?

Like I said, stick to posting pictures.

Any policy/scheme that encourages dumping of human beings by 3.00am at some head bridge is barbaric, ill-thought, and inhuman. IF the Anambra State Governmnent indeed agreed to receive them, logic dictates it can NEVER be by 3.00 am in the dead of the night. If that was the agreed time, common sense dictates that they wait or try to contact the Anambra official, it's a matter of phone call. Dumping them there like waste is barbaric, and no policy of a self respecting government will support that. And no self respecting individual will support this barbarism; I doubt Akwa Ibom Government dumped Lagos State indigene at Ore by 3.00am in the name of repatriation. So much for your knowledge of the dumping policy!
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Demswear4u: 1:56pm On Aug 02, 2013
sunto: hatred is like an acid it destroy the container also.
Hatred?
Sorry,i am not hateful.
Go tell that to fashola.

1 Like

Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Afam4eva(m): 1:56pm On Aug 02, 2013
greggng: IS A SHAME THAT FASHOLAS KIND GESTURE IS NOW BEING POLITICIZE BY THOSE THAT MEANT EVIL FOR THIS NATION. I AM AN IGBO MAN AND I SEE NOTHING WRONG IN WHAT FASHOLA DID.THE CHALLENGE IS ON IGBO PEOPLE TO BE THEIR BROTHERS KEEPERS.WE ARE SELF CENTERED PEOPLE AND ONLY CARE ABOUT OURSELVES.

IF THOSE DEPORTEES ARE IGBOS, LET THE GOVERNOR OF THEIR STATES ACCEPT THEM AND MAKE THERE LIFE'S MORE MEANINGFUL. I DONT SUPPORT EVIL IF AM IN FASHOLAS SHOES I WILL DO SAME.I MUST COMMEND HIM FOR TAKEN CARE OF THEM .THE BALL IS NOW IN THE COURT OF THEIR STATES GOVERNORS/RELATIVES.

FINALLY, WE SHOULD AS A PEOPLE FIGHT FOR THINGS THAT WILL BE BENEFICIAL TO THE MASSES.THINGS LIKE SOCIAL BENEFIT THAT COULD TAKE CARE OF THE UNEMPLOYED AND SOCIAL MISCREANTS.IF THE LAW GUARANTEES THIS, THEN SITUATIONS LIKE THIS WILL BE A THING OF THE PAST.THIS WAY FASHOLA WILL HAVE LOTS OF MONEY TO TAKE CARE OF THEM KNOWING FULLY WELL THAT THE FEDERAL GOVT WILL ALWAYS MAKE PROVISION FOR IT.THIS IS MY OPINION
I guess you'll have no problem if the kind gesture is extended to you. Congrats in advance.

1 Like

Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by PeterKbaba: 1:57pm On Aug 02, 2013
[b]IN 2011 29 Arrested in Awka and
Akwa Ibom states.

Akwa Ibom states.

Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by tutaboi(m): 1:57pm On Aug 02, 2013
fashola......should know that some Yoruba's resides in many part of the country and if they should be treated like that thy wouldn't have found it very pleasant .......dis is one nija ooo
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Demswear4u: 1:57pm On Aug 02, 2013
ilugunboy:

So says a bigoted Ibo boy... grin
see who is talking.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

"Police Is Your Friend"- US Based Nigerian Lady Says After Hitching A Ride. PIC / Monica Dongban-Mense Constitutes Edo Governorship Election Tribunal Panel / Court Sacks 20 Cross River Lawmakers For Defecting To APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.