Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,634 members, 7,801,828 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:56 AM

How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking (18404 Views)

Tonto Dikeh Buys For [$250,000] / Naijaloaded .com Has Been redeemed / Facebook Flaw Lets You View Someone's Private Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by physise(m): 12:22pm On Aug 02, 2013
d site is back nw
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by BUSHHUNTER: 12:22pm On Aug 02, 2013
grin what more can I say
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by Djtm(m): 12:23pm On Aug 02, 2013
I knew they were script kiddies. BTW, Nairaland was throwing 500s some minutes ago. I didn't make a screenshot.

1 Like

Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by Ajibel(m): 12:24pm On Aug 02, 2013
@sly, i like d way u've been "firing" browsers cheesy
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by Nobody: 12:25pm On Aug 02, 2013
Sue Airtel and make sure to suwah ha anya
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by physise(m): 12:26pm On Aug 02, 2013
9jadelta: I wished it was naira land angry
bad belle people full nairaland shall
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by Leopantro: 12:26pm On Aug 02, 2013
that's not new. last year a staff of engadget got hacked. someone used the find my iphone faeture to change his password then logged into his icloud and wiped his data. since his icloud was also linked to his mac that got wiped. the online files had his gmail account info so he lodged into it and found his twitter handle and went on rampage .that was when apple introduced the multiple social questions access and remove the four digit authentication process.

the thing is its now very easy to hack people with handheld devices. last weekend I installed the various files I needed on my phone and went to a university and enabled free Internet horspot access. within 15mins I had 7 users. was able to log into their yahoo and Facebook accounts in no time.

everyone now uses a smart phone but don't want to become smart believing that it can never happen to them.

Please be internet security conscious

1 Like

Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by ITbomb(m): 12:27pm On Aug 02, 2013
kwakayekaa: allahu akbar برربشباسجنفسدجنفسجابدشدجنفسجنسجسبشدنسفنجسبدفنسجانفنجسبدسجدجند . allah is great
Who you wan bomb now

1 Like

Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by Leopantro: 12:27pm On Aug 02, 2013
Djtm: I knew they were script kiddies. BTW, Nairaland was throwing 500s some minutes ago. I didn't make a screenshot.

have observed that thrice over the past three days.
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by hayoakins(m): 12:28pm On Aug 02, 2013
The site has been restored but i can only imagine what Mankind(Makinde) had to go through
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by cashkid: 12:28pm On Aug 02, 2013
costan306: i think say na free browsing.mtcheew
en! na free browsing nw! o ya configure am,start to dey browse free
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by hayoakins(m): 12:35pm On Aug 02, 2013
naturalwaves: This story looks like an Abracadabra and it is difficult to believe. Even if it is that easy getting a sim swapped on Airtel, when the supposed cracker wanted to contact Yahoo, did he just get a Password just like that from Yahoo? Impossible! Getting your password changed on Yahoo isn't that easy. Okay? And the Domain Name Registrer too gave out another Password on sighting just a note for a change of password? I haven't read something as hilarious and ridiculous as this claim in a long while even if you go to court with this crap, you will outrightly lose the case on the first day.
First of all, confirm the sim swap procedure and how the hacker did it from Airtel and then contact Yahoo and get to know how the verification for password changed such that yours was given out so cheaply on just a request then contact your DNR too to get the full details of how your password was changed in a little time before you come up with claims. I understand the fact that, your website was hacked but trying to make Airtel the scapegoat for the process without sufficient evidence is really hilarious. Take heart!

Yahoo, gmail and some other free email account providers now send access codes to verified phone numbers for users to reset password undecided
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by Ess: 12:35pm On Aug 02, 2013
Leopantro: that's not new. last year a staff of engadget got hacked. someone used the find my iphone faeture to change his password then logged into his icloud and wiped his data. since his icloud was also linked to his mac that got wiped. the online files had his gmail account info so he lodged into it and found his twitter handle and went on rampage .that was when apple introduced the multiple social questions access and remove the four digit authentication process.

the thing is its now very easy to hack people with handheld devices. last weekend I installed the various files I needed on my phone and went to a university and enabled free Internet horspot access. within 15mins I had 7 users. was able to log into their yahoo and Facebook accounts in no time.

everyone now uses a smart phone but don't want to become smart believing that it can never happen to them.

Please be internet security conscious

NIAC on my mind. wink
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by Decryptor(m): 12:39pm On Aug 02, 2013
meracool: Online.. Internet.. everything Is NOT secured... JESUS is the ONLY Sure and SECURED Link..!!!
And what has Jesus got to do with ICT?
Back to the topic...now where are those 4 most frequent numbers Seun dails? tongue
**abeg no ban me seun...na joke o!

2 Likes

Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by Nobody: 12:40pm On Aug 02, 2013
kei geskia!! Na gej cause am. If gej don improve the telecommunication industry, things for no be like this
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by PStacks(m): 12:44pm On Aug 02, 2013
This is bad market for Airtle Nigeria.
I have never really like Airtel anyway..

MTN 1st for obvious reasons.
Etisalat and Glo Drags Bracket in Second..
Airtel last.. Econet, Buddie, Zain, Airtel.. Only them one.. Foolish network..

I'm suprised most lagosians are stuck to Airtel..

Etisalat is about my Favourite..
As for Hacking! Its a global phenomenon and not a Nigerian issue solely.

China Hacks America, America Hacks Australia, Edward Snowden even went as far as claiming that govt listens to your phone calls and have every internet data of yours.. Govt approaches Facebook, Microsoft, Google, Apple and co for users data not even till they hack you website.. Big banks and mega coporations are not speared the attack..

Its ICT age baby.. Everything that comes with an advantage surely has a disadvantage..
We won't know the disadvantages of ICT just yet not till it has eaten deep and caused so much damage.. And it would'a been too late.. This might be the last age of man Before the collapse or the very age that would engineer the collapse cos I can't phantom any age after ICT, I just can't imagine another age after ICT age, it would be too wizardry..

Let's rock and roll.. ICT all the way.
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by Cleanman(m): 12:45pm On Aug 02, 2013
naturalwaves: This story looks like an Abracadabra and it is difficult to believe. Even if it is that easy getting a sim swapped on Airtel, when the supposed cracker wanted to contact Yahoo, did he just get a Password just like that from Yahoo? Impossible! Getting your password changed on Yahoo isn't that easy. Okay? And the Domain Name Registrer too gave out another Password on sighting just a note for a change of password? I haven't read something as hilarious and ridiculous as this claim in a long while even if you go to court with this crap, you will outrightly lose the case on the first day.
First of all, confirm the sim swap procedure and how the hacker did it from Airtel and then contact Yahoo and get to know how the verification for password changed such that yours was given out so cheaply on just a request then contact your DNR too to get the full details of how your password was changed in a little time before you come up with claims. I understand the fact that, your website was hacked but trying to make Airtel the scapegoat for the process without sufficient evidence is really hilarious. Take heart!
my thought exactly.Even if you could stroll past airtel's raggedy security flaws,you think you can hack yahoo multiple obj security questions too..only dumb ppl will believe slyr0x fake ass analysis...

Naijaloaded owner has his fault,after all this years;you ought to have switched away from childish wapka.mobi sites.....Domain name change doesnt matter.

1 Like

Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by valdes00(m): 12:51pm On Aug 02, 2013
What if i tell una say I knw d don wey do mankind this strong thing
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by IAMBREEZY: 12:54pm On Aug 02, 2013
Those kids can't do nothing.
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by Slyr0x: 1:00pm On Aug 02, 2013

1. Click on Yahoo's Forgot My Password feature >> Yahoo asks for your phone number (one of the security options you opted for) >> You put in the phone number >> Yahoo sends you a verification code or they call you >> You type in the 6characters verification code and voila. .you are in.

2. For the Domain Name Registrar, that part is quite simple. The only email account connected to them is the hacked one. So basically, the forgot my password feature comes to play again. Request for a new password and a link gets sent to your mail.

2 Likes

Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by Ess: 1:01pm On Aug 02, 2013
Slyr0x:

1. Click on Yahoo's Forgot My Password feature >> Yahoo asks for your phone number (one of the security options you opted for) >> You put in the phone number >> Yahoo sends you a verification code or they call you >> You type in the 6characters verification code and voila. .you are in.

2. For the Domain Name Registrar, that part is quite simple. The only email account connected to them is the hacked one. So basically, the forgot my password feature comes to play again. Request for a new password and a link gets sent to your mail.

Spot on!
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by naturalwaves: 1:04pm On Aug 02, 2013
hayoakins:

I guess you are new in this game shocked...Yahoo, gmail and some other free email account providers now send access codes to verified phone numbers for users to reset password undecided

Yes, they do and they sent such to me when I forgot my Password BUT you must get that security question right. If you don't get it, there is no way.Let us assume the Cracker penetrated through the mail which we are not even sure of yet, how did he get the answer to the security question binding the mail correctly? Even if the security question is as simple as 'what College did you finish from?' In which family relatives, friends may know about it (Assuming the cracker is a close person), being a Computer Scientist or at least someone with a good computer knowledge, the said owner of the site should even 'code' the answer again and not just make it direct except if he isn't sound in his game. The more he makes Airtel look culpable, the more hilarious it sounds.
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by Youngtekkey(m): 1:05pm On Aug 02, 2013
Decryptor: And what has Jesus got to do with ICT?
Back to the topic...now where are those 4 most frequent numbers Seun dails? tongue
hmmmm u are playing with fire seun don dey vex ooooo did anyone see mankind when naijaloaded was hacked na me dey with am if u see how he dey cry u go feel sorry for am no be my mouth u hear am oooooo i think the next victim is seun i hear from a close source
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by searay(m): 1:05pm On Aug 02, 2013
9jadelta: I wished it was naira land angry
Wishes are not horse. Remember?
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by TBrownAuto(m): 1:05pm On Aug 02, 2013
well to me all his saying big lie any site can be hacked even yahoo and many government site has once been hacked and deface stop this nonse thread them he should buy same sim and swap his number back simple
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by onegig(m): 1:10pm On Aug 02, 2013
Slyr0x:

You for leave the guy make him dey wallop for ignorance..
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by Youngtekkey(m): 1:11pm On Aug 02, 2013
Paroman: kei geskia!! Na gej cause am. If gej don improve the telecommunication industry, things for no be like this
wetin this one dey TALK
Re: How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking by searay(m): 1:21pm On Aug 02, 2013
Decryptor: And what has Jesus got to do with ICT?
08055555I55- Sexkilz
08177666O55-Macla...
0166668B5:Masiwa
08O8BI5666-Afam

i knpw the mods will not be happy with this...

On Topic: i don't believe this story

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Instagram Sorry For Adding 'Terrorist' To Some Palestinian User Bios / How Can I Embed Google Ads In My Smf Forum / Twitter Bans Free Promotion Of Facebook And Other Social Media Sites

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.