Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,853 members, 7,802,736 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:16 PM

An Unbiased View Of The Lagos Deportation. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / An Unbiased View Of The Lagos Deportation. (1700 Views)

An Unbiased View On Kogi State Election. / Buhari might not Win The Just Concluded Elections - Unbiased Analysis / Abia State: An Unbiased Evaluation Of An Unsung Hero (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Unbiased View Of The Lagos Deportation. by mekaboy(m): 9:16am On Aug 03, 2013
This igbo deportation issue has been on for so long, it is time to put ethnic spectacles down and look at the situation clearly.

To examine the situation, some questions will need to be asked.

1, Is this the first time such deportation is taking place in lagos?

2, Have people from any other part of Nigeria been deported from lagos beside igbos?

3, Where those deported homeless and destitute?

4,Where they held for 6months against their will and denied access to phone to contact their family? Or was some skill acquisition program going on for that 6months?

5, For those 6months, what were they eating and who was feeding them?

6, Where were they sleeping earlier before they where arrested?

7, Did they commit a crime?

8, Is it constitutional to deport Nigerians from one state to the other?

Now if pple from other parts of the country have been deported from lagos, then to me it is not an igbo issue.

If the people had no homes or jobs, then to me it is a security risk.

If the government kept them against their will and denied them access to phone or contact their family members it is illegal and a case of kidnap.

If the govt kept them for 6months because they had no homes, and feed them, and tried to rehabilitate them before sending them back, not a bad idea.

Now, if it is unconstitutional for a state govt to deport any nigeria from any state to any state, then the lagos state govt or any other state govt who has ever done such is guilty of violating the right of a Nigerian citizen not just igbos.

Please let's be matured an unbiased in our contribution, thanks.
Re: An Unbiased View Of The Lagos Deportation. by BigLebowski: 9:57am On Aug 03, 2013
Why should any Nigerian be deported from within his/her own country?
This is the real question you should answer. You and your kind have made it a tribal issue while we who are totally against your fascist views see it as a fundamental right of freedom being breached.

Your mumuism too much.

1 Like

Re: An Unbiased View Of The Lagos Deportation. by nku5: 10:17am On Aug 03, 2013
To be honest we are just starting to calmly evaluate the issues. In response to your questions.

This is not the first time people are being returned to their states but let's bear in mind that the understanding or protocol between the states is as I saw from the letters between lagos and anambra is focused on destitutes and ppl of unsound mind.

However we have been hearing that the two times ppl have been deportd to the east, they have been dumped at onitsha bridge, not handed over to the authorities as was agreed. Also the persons dumped at the bridge are not all from anambra state. Some picked up and forcefully put in camps were not destitutes or insane.

Constitutionally it is wrong to snatch people of the streets and detain them unless they are vagrants or unwell. If a person commits a crime, he or she should be arraigned in a court of law.

Like I said the facts are still coming out, what I am waiting for is a comprehensive interview of one of the ppl dumped at the bridge head. The detention camp should also be quickly assessed and inspected. Personally I can't argue with rationale that states should receive their own if helpless or destitute. Quarrell no dey that one but due process must be followed.
Re: An Unbiased View Of The Lagos Deportation. by IGBOSON1: 10:20am On Aug 03, 2013
As i ruminate over this issue, it's dawning on me that Fashola may not have had in mind to target Igbos (he's just not a poor peoples Governor, but rather presides over an elitist government); the problem i see here is the overzealous officials carrying out the 'cleansing' policy: they may have an ethnic agenda and are reading from the same Igbo-hating, xenophobic script as the loudmouthed e-warriors on this site!

Also if indeed the Anambra state gov't got any inkling that some of its indigenes were being held (illegally as far as i'm concerned) then they are guilty of dereliction of duty if they didn't follow up on the initial correspondence via their Lagos liason office!
Re: An Unbiased View Of The Lagos Deportation. by nku5: 10:27am On Aug 03, 2013
IGBO-SON:
As i ruminate over this issue, it's dawning on me that Fashola may not have had in mind to target Igbos (he's just not a poor peoples Governor, but rather presides over an elitist government); the problem i see here is the overzealous officials carrying out the 'cleansing' policy: they may have an ethnic agenda and are reading from the same Igbo-hating, xenophobic script as the loudmouthed e-warriors on this site!

That is what I am starting to understand. The problem is not fashola but the wide mouthed baboons who read it in the news and quickly started yapping like animals just to get a reaction from igbos. The bigoted yorubas saw it as some kind of victory. Igbos who were already sensitive (me included to be honest) got suspicious. Others got angry.
Re: An Unbiased View Of The Lagos Deportation. by otokx(m): 10:45am On Aug 03, 2013
Begging is fast becoming an unhealthy occupation in Nigeria especially by em fair skinned Niger people. Government should round em up and deport them.
Re: An Unbiased View Of The Lagos Deportation. by mekaboy(m): 10:46am On Aug 03, 2013
According to some source I read about fashola denying deportation. He said it was a not a detention place but a place for destitute. He also said the people after training or something like that, asked to be taken back to anambra .

That is why I asked who was feeding them for 6months?

If they were destitute it means the govt was responsible for their feeding. He also said he wrote to anambra state govt about integrating the people into their community. If that is the case, then it is not a case of deportation but integration.

Fashola claims they were 14 in number some news reports say 67 or 97.

Did anambra state govt receive such a letter?

Where the pple deported as we put it have homes or something doing in lagos? The person who claimed has a small business that was picked up on his way to his shop. Has there been any investigation into that, is there any evidence he had a shop?
Re: An Unbiased View Of The Lagos Deportation. by ballabriggs: 10:56am On Aug 03, 2013
mekaboy: According to some source I read about fashola denying deportation. He said it was a not a detention place but a place for destitute. He also said the people after training or something like that, asked to be taken back to anambra .

That is why I asked who was feeding them for 6months?

If they were destitute it means the govt was responsible for their feeding. He also said he wrote to anambra state govt about integrating the people into their community. If that is the case, then it is not a case of deportation but integration.

Fashola claims they were 14 in number some news reports say 67 or 97.

Did anambra state govt receive such a letter?

Where the pple deported as we put it have homes or something doing in lagos? The person who claimed has a small business that was picked up on his way to his shop. Has there been any investigation into that, is there any evidence he had a shop?

These questions should go to Peter Adaobi and his hate mongers. There was evidence that correspondence was exchanged between both parties, Adaobi did not bother to check this because he had his own agenda.
Re: An Unbiased View Of The Lagos Deportation. by 1kobo: 1:17pm On Aug 03, 2013
'Deportation ' in 1 own country?. Come guys its insane. It is against international law. Igbos in lagos should please start coming back home. We have all we need here in the east, this place afterall was supposed to be a country of its own. We can build east to become the heaven of Africa. Come back home now that u still can, come back before they chase you away. Ani igbo has its fault,I know, but she is luking up to us to change it. Please if you have business in lagos, start relocating now that you can, cuz d way I see things, this is a test run for something far worse

1 Like

Re: An Unbiased View Of The Lagos Deportation. by datChelseaBoy: 1:39pm On Aug 03, 2013
Fashola is starting a war he cannot end. Don't forget Nazi Germany, don't forget Yugoslavia, don't forget Rwanda and don't forget Biafra
Re: An Unbiased View Of The Lagos Deportation. by mekaboy(m): 1:53pm On Aug 03, 2013
Its obvious that a lot of pple see everything as war and can't have an unbiased look at a situation. Before pointing fingers at anyone, answer the questions above first, that will lead to a logical conclusion.
Re: An Unbiased View Of The Lagos Deportation. by nuclearboy(m): 3:24pm On Aug 03, 2013
mekaboy: This igbo deportation issue has been on for so long, it is time to put ethnic spectacles down and look at the situation clearly.

2, Have people from any other part of Nigeria been deported from lagos beside igbos?

4,Where they held for 6months against their will and denied access to phone to contact their family? Or was some skill acquisition program going on for that 6months?

Now if pple from other parts of the country have been deported from lagos, then to me it is not an igbo issue.

If the government kept them against their will and denied them access to phone or contact their family members it is illegal and a case of kidnap.

If the govt kept them for 6months because they had no homes, and feed them, and tried to rehabilitate them before sending them back, not a bad idea.

Now, if it is unconstitutional for a state govt to deport any nigeria from any state to any state, then the lagos state govt or any other state govt who has ever done such is guilty of violating the right of a Nigerian citizen not just igbos.

People who think dispassionately like this and ask questions rather than scream, are to be commended.
Re: An Unbiased View Of The Lagos Deportation. by Duru1(m): 3:37pm On Aug 03, 2013
mekaboy: This igbo deportation issue has been on for so long, it is time to put ethnic spectacles down and look at the situation clearly.

In the above post, the writer seems to postulate that it is Nigerian to emulate and replicate idiocy simply because such crap has existed someplace else. Thank goodness to our culture and tradition, few citizens of USA whom most Nigerians look up today once were homeless and had no job.

Nobody has right to arrest any destitute or bagger for relocation in Nigeria when such hapless individual is a citizen of the country.
Re: An Unbiased View Of The Lagos Deportation. by bobthebuilder99(m): 4:17pm On Aug 03, 2013
datChelseaBoy: Fashola is starting a war he cannot end. Don't forget Nazi Germany, don't forget Yugoslavia, don't forget Rwanda and don't forget Biafra

The only ones starting a war are Igbos who keep trying to turn a non-tribal relocation program into a tribal war.

And all of those wars ENDED. Just like the Biafra war.

2 Likes

Re: An Unbiased View Of The Lagos Deportation. by LFJ: 4:53pm On Aug 03, 2013
May God increase our understanding; all issues must not be about war, let us learn from the history. Those who witnessed Biafra will never pray for war. Unemployment doesn’t know any tribe in Nigeria of today; it is a national issue. Injustice is everywhere. Hausa was deported, no Ibo see this as an issue, because it is not their brother, Hausa man was killed, yes that is aboki issue, Ibo man is killed, then we must go back to Biafra because they hate us. This was the type of issue that led to Biafra in the 1st place. Say it because it is bad not because it concern my brother or sister.

3 Likes

Re: An Unbiased View Of The Lagos Deportation. by mekaboy(m): 5:59pm On Aug 03, 2013
Duru1:

In the above post, the writer seems to postulate that it is Nigerian to emulate and replicate idiocy simply because such crap has existed someplace else. Thank goodness to our culture and tradition, few citizens of USA whom most Nigerians look up today once were homeless and had no job.

Nobody has right to arrest any destitute or bagger for relocation in Nigeria when such hapless individual is a citizen of the country.

I never said it is right to deport a destitute, I asked if they were trained and willingly asked to be taken down to onitsha after training.

Have not taking sides, jst trying to be logical answering the questions above. And will appreciate u answer the questions too before your conclusion.
Re: An Unbiased View Of The Lagos Deportation. by YoshiMaster: 7:00pm On Aug 03, 2013
This seems to be a very sensitive issue, I would advise everyone to put themselves in the shoes of the Governor.

First if what I heard about people just being dumped under the bridge is true, then that really is unfortunate.

On the other hand, we need to ask ourselves how we would solve this issue of hawkers and beggars at almost every street.

Some streets in Lagos have soo many beggars and hawkers, that once there is any sort of traffic jam, they proceed to fill up the roads, which ideally are only meant for cars.

I think the real question people should ask themselves moving forward is "How would I tackle this issue as a Governor".

Although we are all Nigerians, I do not subscribe to, for example, a homeless person pitching his tent right on the side of Lekki-Expressway and living there. That is not a good way to build a sane society, I think most of us will agree.

One of the ways forward I think, would be to increase the amount of homeless shelters we have in this country. Instead of us arguing online, we could put efforts into giving donations to this shelters, so that when the government cleans up the streets, the homeless could have at least a temporary place to say.

We also need a social welfare program in this country that would aid people that are at the bottom build their lives back up.

1 Like

Re: An Unbiased View Of The Lagos Deportation. by EzePromoe: 8:39pm On Aug 03, 2013
Fashola's presidential ambition is dead on arrival. PERIOD!
Re: An Unbiased View Of The Lagos Deportation. by Duru1(m): 8:58pm On Aug 03, 2013
mekaboy:

I never said it is right to deport a destitute, I asked if they were trained and willingly asked to be taken down to onitsha after training.

Have not taking sides, jst trying to be logical answering the questions above. And will appreciate u answer the questions too before your conclusion.

I suggest you go through your post again especially where you made conclusive remarks such as “If the people had no homes or jobs, then to me it is a security risk”.

Nobody has made Lagos State deportation an Igbo issue but from you assertions it seems okay if the deportation has been carried out by another state other than Lagos State. You have already branded a person without a job as a security risk.

Lack of job does not mean risk or conveys sense of criminality. Again, state government can rehabilitate a citizen but does not have any right to forcefully relocate such individual from one state of the federating units of Nigeria to another.
Re: An Unbiased View Of The Lagos Deportation. by BlackBaron: 9:05pm On Aug 03, 2013
I don't think it was an ethnic issue. The real problem was when ignorance became majority. This came to a head because of goading by both side of the divide.

It wasn't the first time its happened. Nor am I a supporter of forced removal. However, I don't know the dynamics of Lagos. Might be bursting at its seams hence drastic measures. One would have to be Governor to know how to react.
Re: An Unbiased View Of The Lagos Deportation. by Nobody: 9:28pm On Aug 03, 2013
LFJ: May God increase our understanding; all issues must not be about war, let us learn from the history. Those who witnessed Biafra will never pray for war. Unemployment doesn’t know any tribe in Nigeria of today; it is a national issue. Injustice is everywhere. Hausa was deported, no Ibo see this as an issue, because it is not their brother, Hausa man was killed, yes that is aboki issue, Ibo man is killed, then we must go back to Biafra because they hate us. This was the type of issue that led to Biafra in the 1st place. Say it because it is bad not because it concern my brother or sister.
Thank you, I was almost. Skinned alive yesterday for not joining the tribal war

2 Likes

Re: An Unbiased View Of The Lagos Deportation. by Nobody: 9:31pm On Aug 03, 2013
Duru1:

Would you rather they were left to roam around, or get knocked down by vehicles. Shows how much care about them
Re: An Unbiased View Of The Lagos Deportation. by Nobody: 9:32pm On Aug 03, 2013
Obiagelli:
Thank you, I was almost. Skinned alive yesterday for not joining the tribal war

I haven't told you this before. You are my favorite Igbo lady on nairaland. You are a true Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: An Unbiased View Of The Lagos Deportation. by Nobody: 9:47pm On Aug 03, 2013
payless:

I haven't told you this before. You are my favorite Igbo lady on nairaland. You are a true Nigerian.
Thanks
Most igbos are actually very objective and patriotic, I am always surprised when I read posts by tribalist on NL, trust me they don't represent 1% of igbos in general same for other tribes.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Osun Gov Election: Channels Tv Debate: The Apc Vs Pdp / Boko Haram Leader Abubakar Shekau Is Dead - By Attorney Patryk Utulu (USA) / The Presidential Seat In 2015. Who Is (will Be) Your Choice?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.