Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,856 members, 7,802,744 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:35 PM

7 Amazing Blind People In The World's History! - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 7 Amazing Blind People In The World's History! (27112 Views)

Stories Of The People Behind Famous Photographs In World History. / 10 Of The Dumbest Criminals In World History. / 5-year-old Nigerian Passess Uk’s Gce… Makes World History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Amazing Blind People In The World's History! by Gracedpen: 3:29am On Aug 04, 2013
We'd be looking next at amazing blind people in world history. Read on and be inspired!

(Marla Runyan) The First Blind Athlete in the Olympics

When Marla Runyan was 9 years old, she developed Stargardt's Disease, a form of macular degeneration that left her legally blind, but that never stopped her. From running paralympic races, she began to run able-bodied ones and in 1999 at the Pan- American Games,she won the 1,500-meter race. The next year, she placed eighth in the 1,500-meter in the 2000 Sydney Olympics, making her the first legally blind athlete to compete in the Olympics.

By 2001 she won her first of three consecutive 5000 metre National Championships. She also released her autobiography "No Finish Line: My Life As I See It". In 2002 she added the road 5K and 10K National Championships, and married her coach, Matt Lonergan.

*Wondering how she managed to run without intercepting the lane of others...wow!

Derek Rabelo

Derek was born with congenital glaucoma but that didn't stop the 20-year-old Brazilian from learning to surf when he was just three years old.

"With God, everything is possible," he says, and relying on four out of five senses, Rabelo is the protagonist of the upcoming documentary "Beyond Sight." If Derek's example doesn't put trivial complaints like high tides or sideshore winds into perspective, not a lot of other stories will.

*Even some of us that aren't blind have not learnt to swim...some are afraid of water still!

John Bramblitt (The Blind Painter)

John Bramblitt lost his vision in 2001 when he was 30 years old due to complications from epilepsy. At first, John says he lost hope and was in a deep depression, but then he found an outlet: painting. Since John can't see colors, he has developed a process whereby he paints by touch. According to the artist, the colors feel different to him: white is thick and black is a little runny, so when he needs gray, he mixes the two until the texture is right.

His art has been sold in over twenty countries and he has appeared internationally in print, TV, and radio. His work has received much recognition, including the "Most Inspirational Video of 2008" from YouTube and three Presidential Service Awards for his innovative art workshops.

*How could colours feel different to him...it amazes me!

Mark Anthony (The Blind NASCAR Driver)

On January 29, 2011, Mark Anthony Riccobono took the wheel of a Ford Escape and drove solo around the Daytona International Speedway, something that's not unusual except for one thing: Riccobono is blind.

Two technologies make it possible: DriveGrip, that consists of two gloves that send vibrations over the knuckles to tell the driver how much to turn the wheel, and SpeedStrip, a cushion down the back and legs of the driver which tell them how much to accelerate.

With only 10 percent of normal vision at age 5, Riccobono continued to lose vision throughout his life. But now, as part of a program from the National Federation of the Blind, he's working to demonstrate that blind people can adjust to society and drive safely with the aid of new technology.

It is real, it is dynamic research and Mark, though blind, is doing great things.

(Christine Hà) The Blind Chef

Christine Hà won the Masterchef TV show in 2004. She was diagnosed with neuromyelitis optica, gradually started losing her vision, and was almost completely blind by 2007.

In the 19 episodes of the competition third season of MasterChef, Christine Ha won seven times in both individual and team challenges, an additional three times in the top 3 group, but she also finished two times in the bottom 2/3 group. On September 10, 2012, Christine Ha was pronounced the winner of the competition, taking away $250,000, the title of MasterChef, the MasterChef trophy, and a cookbook deal.

*How does she manage to cook without any accidents in the kitchen, and with accuracy too?

(Pete Eckert) The Blind Photographer

Pete Eckert was trained in sculpture and industrial design. He had always been a visual person and planned to study architecture at Yale, but then he started to lose his sight because of a condition called retinitis pigmentosa. Amazingly enough, he embraced photography even more after becoming blind, shooting ethereal double exposures and vivid light paintings with his Mamiyaflex TLR.

He visualizes the image he wants to create in his mind and uses his senses of sound, touch, and memory to make a photograph. "I am a visual person. I just can't see," he says.

*There is a difference between having sight and being visual...hmnn...

(Christopher Downey) The Blind Architect

Christopher Downey is an architect, planner, and consultant who lost his sight in 2008 after a tumor wrapped around his optic nerve. How was it possible to keep working as an architect?

He works with a blind computer scientist who has devised a way to print online maps through a tactile printer. Today, he is dedicated to creating more helpful and enriching environments for the blind and visually impaired, and he also helps in crafting design processes that are more responsive to the needs of blind clients and end-users.

Wow!

Now, if you ask me, I know a couple of other blind Nigerians who do not cease to amaze me. Ayo Efunkoya, my friend who graduated as the best student from Mass Comm Dept, Unilag during his set is one of them. I also know of Tunde Osibote, a composer and a pianist whose dexterity with the piano will not cease to amaze you.

My submission...so far, whatever blind people have lost in sight, it seems, they always manage to make up for in other things!

SOURCE: http://www.tutubranch.com/2013/08/7-amazing-blind-people.html

7 Likes

Re: 7 Amazing Blind People In The World's History! by gunuvi(m): 7:23am On Aug 04, 2013
This is highly inspirational.
The painter na real wa!
The photographer sef na wa. Infact, all of them no blind. How come the photographer go know if I don comot for him front?

6 Likes

Re: 7 Amazing Blind People In The World's History! by adextetoo(m): 1:14pm On Aug 04, 2013
am totally amazed

1 Like

Re: 7 Amazing Blind People In The World's History! by Gracedpen: 1:37pm On Aug 05, 2013
The photographer sef na wa. Infact, all of them no blind. How come the photographer go know if I don comot for him front? [/quote]

cheesy...Since he uses his sense of touch, sound and smell to create photographs...if he is not touching you, I suppose he is "smelling" your absence...

1 Like

Re: 7 Amazing Blind People In The World's History! by dasparrow: 2:28pm On Aug 05, 2013
@Post

God is amazing! Even the disabled are able.

8 Likes

Re: 7 Amazing Blind People In The World's History! by iyatrustee(f): 2:41pm On Aug 05, 2013
What of Stevie Wonder? smiley smiley smiley smiley

14 Likes

Re: 7 Amazing Blind People In The World's History! by Adex098(m): 2:42pm On Aug 05, 2013
There is ability in disability.
*dazall*

1 Like

Re: 7 Amazing Blind People In The World's History! by Adex098(m): 2:43pm On Aug 05, 2013
iyatrustee: what of stevie wonder? smiley smiley smiley smiley
I'm still wondering why wonder ain't on the wonder list

3 Likes

Re: 7 Amazing Blind People In The World's History! by Nobody: 2:44pm On Aug 05, 2013
Andrea Bocelli the opera singer, I never knew he was blind till I read an article about him skating in NY and the editor pointed out he was blind I kinda died a little that day.

4 Likes

Re: 7 Amazing Blind People In The World's History! by hunkydory(m): 2:45pm On Aug 05, 2013
Wonderful!
Re: 7 Amazing Blind People In The World's History! by zuma4k(m): 2:46pm On Aug 05, 2013
Okay

1 Like

Re: 7 Amazing Blind People In The World's History! by abatajjvii: 2:46pm On Aug 05, 2013
they were blind but can now see
Re: 7 Amazing Blind People In The World's History! by Nobody: 2:47pm On Aug 05, 2013
what of Steve Wonder,and our Son COBHAMS,aint they worth to be on the list?

no be garri to produce beat oooo

10 Likes

Re: 7 Amazing Blind People In The World's History! by Clitoris(f): 2:47pm On Aug 05, 2013
iyatrustee: What of Stevie Wonder? smiley smiley smiley smiley
Was about asking same question. But if you ask me, that blind driver among them should be arrested for suicide attempt and conspiracy to cause accidents and harm to other road users.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Amazing Blind People In The World's History! by Gboliwe: 2:47pm On Aug 05, 2013
I am still in awe.
This is amazing

1 Like

Re: 7 Amazing Blind People In The World's History! by Nobody: 2:49pm On Aug 05, 2013
Yomieluv: what of Steve Wonder,and our Son COBHAMS,aint they worth to be on the list?

Any blind man with the use of Braille can produce and sing but the a blind man running is near impossible. And to think blind men snaps is almost difficult to swallow. The list is a compilation of impossible possiblities in the world of man

6 Likes

Re: 7 Amazing Blind People In The World's History! by Brymo: 2:49pm On Aug 05, 2013
cobhams asodo n pastor goody goody in my mind!

1 Like

Re: 7 Amazing Blind People In The World's History! by boron10(m): 2:49pm On Aug 05, 2013
Cobhams Asuquo

2 Likes

Re: 7 Amazing Blind People In The World's History! by Nobody: 2:50pm On Aug 05, 2013
Helen Keller should be at the VERY TOP of that list.

She was blind, deaf and mute.

13 Likes

Re: 7 Amazing Blind People In The World's History! by DICKtator: 2:50pm On Aug 05, 2013
Helen Keller didn't make the list?

Stevie Wonders? Wonders shall never cease!!!!

grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 7 Amazing Blind People In The World's History! by Nobody: 2:50pm On Aug 05, 2013
ok
Re: 7 Amazing Blind People In The World's History! by delors(m): 2:51pm On Aug 05, 2013
Nice but what about this 1980s Blind Swordman in the film 'The warrior and the Blind swordman'? If your saw this movie then, you don old ooooo. The Blind guy was hilariously amazing grin grin grin. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsgJc6QY-mU

2 Likes

Re: 7 Amazing Blind People In The World's History! by Nobody: 2:51pm On Aug 05, 2013

My exact thought

1 Like

Re: 7 Amazing Blind People In The World's History! by funnyx(m): 2:54pm On Aug 05, 2013
What about David Blunkett?
Re: 7 Amazing Blind People In The World's History! by Marineetyon(m): 2:54pm On Aug 05, 2013
What abt the blind driver that was caught in lagos, that have been driving for over 15yrs. God is infinitely wonderful!

1 Like

Re: 7 Amazing Blind People In The World's History! by koolet: 2:56pm On Aug 05, 2013
I knew of late.pst.OBADARE of (C.A.C) .... Mehn Baba waz Blind but could read the whole Bible Awesomely cheesy ...God of Apostle J.A BABALOLA liveth!!!!

9 Likes

Re: 7 Amazing Blind People In The World's History! by ojubi(m): 2:56pm On Aug 05, 2013
And 5 sensed-abled Nigerian youths are here blaming GEJ for no jobs.

4 Likes

Re: 7 Amazing Blind People In The World's History! by homesteady(m): 2:57pm On Aug 05, 2013
Bookeð
Re: 7 Amazing Blind People In The World's History! by alphaconde(m): 2:57pm On Aug 05, 2013
What about the blind boys of alabama
Re: 7 Amazing Blind People In The World's History! by supaeagles(m): 2:58pm On Aug 05, 2013
Exactly....Maybe the OP of the original article has not heard his quintessential beat .... listen to " superstitious "

Clitoris:
Was about asking same question. But if you ask me, that blind driver among them should be arrested for suicide attempt and conspiracy to cause accidents and harm to other road users.
That is because Asian women are even worse drivers than the blind man .... just a joke, apologies to any Asian women on NL shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: 7 Amazing Blind People In The World's History! by Nobody: 2:59pm On Aug 05, 2013
andrea bocelli: blind man that can play all instruments...
Re: 7 Amazing Blind People In The World's History! by freecocoa(f): 3:01pm On Aug 05, 2013
Haaa!

Which one is legally blind again?so blindness can be illegal? Never knew o.

They are really amazing though sounds kinda impossible, well impossible is really nothing like they say.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ambode Declares Second Lekki-epe Expressway Toll-free / What Do You Do When You're Bored And Alone In The House / Man Bites Snake To Death In Revenge For Biting Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.