Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,713 members, 7,805,943 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:50 AM

Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading (35286 Views)

Nigerians React To Martin Onovo's Interview On Channels Today - Video / Lagosians React To Plan By Ambode To Purchase Helicopters For Traffic | Tweets / Lagosians React To Jonathan's Campaign In Lagos On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by olillywales(m): 9:57am On Aug 04, 2013
I am not sure of the exact reasons why the Lagos State Government would take such step against the people. But I’m not surprised, judging by the pedigree and past radical deeds of the state government. Although the move could be a precautionary measure to make the environment look beautiful, but the state must consider that the people have rights which should not be trampled upon and not just issue out laws and expect everyone to succumb to them.

Some people make a living in dry cleaning business. With the directive, where will they dry these clothes after washing them? No matter how clean they want Lagos to be, banning the spreading of clothes outside is not the way to go about it.

The government must state in clear terms why people shouldn’t spread their clothes outside. They are just dishing out random decrees and making citizens suffer. I feel it’s not just democratic of the government.
– Ojei Omogie

It is a good decision

The idea of spreading clothes on balconies, fences, etc, is not good at all. Looking back at the compound I once lived, it makes the entire building look very untidy and gives the passers-by the impression that the compound is over-crowded and the occupants are uneducated.
Anyway, how does the government want to correct this error which has eaten deep considering the nature of buildings and the compounds?
–Ikpeamanam Uche

It’s a welcome development

I believe it is a good move by the government because when you go to some areas, you’ll be surprised and even embarrassed by the way they litter their clothes all over the place. It makes the environment look untidy, and this practice has been abused. It’s a welcome development, at least itwill make the environment look more decent and appealing. Residents will have to adjust to this new rule or face the penalty.
–Femi Okunnuwa

It’s unfair

I am not supporting this decision because I believe it is unfair on the citizens of Lagos State. The houses belong to them and they should be free to make use of the compounds. People are not expected to dry clothesinside their house.
–Idowu Omowunmi

Government has misplaced priorities

I think this decision was taken to keepLagos clean. But I don’t know whetherto condemn the idea of spreading of clothes outside or encourage it. However, if residents can’t spread clothes within the space in their compound, where else are they expected to do that? Are they discouraging us from drying our clothes in the sun? Maybe I’m wrong but I guess there are better and more pressing issues the Lagos State Government can attend to, such as security, electricity and traffic problems. The state government should think of ways to make Lagos more habitable and peaceful for residents rather than making it more difficult. Yes, Lagos wants to be like London, but let’s put other things in place.
–Adeyinka Oni

Use of hangers better

I agree with this one and I do not think spreading clothes in the open should be encouraged in any way. People should be sensitised on the dangers involved in spreading clotheson fences, which could be an invitation to reptiles. A better way to spread clothes would be to use hangers on twine held by poles. Asides from the dangers posed, I also think that it is not a standard practice.It does not present a beautiful sight with clothes strewn on fences, bridge railings and all. It appears untidy. Clothes should just be simply hung ontwines or use hangers. But I also thinkthat, instead of this, why is the state government not tackling more pressing needs such as refuse dumps,incessant flooding and bad roads in the state?
– Oyinlola Sobowale

Plan is trivial

The present government in Lagos State has shown itself among other administrations in the country to be strong with laws and prudent with its stance on reforming the state. It is good that the administration glows with legal luminaries who know the law, but they fail to understand the laws of the common man, his plights, challenges and financial capability. They do not know the frustrations of the common man: that he can barely feed, send his children to school or find a decent place to lay his head after a stressful day with no earning. It is only when the poor have solved some of these challenges that the government can start talking about matters as trivial as seizing clothes onrailings and public places. The average Lagosian has a choice to protest but he knows the law is not his friend.
–Adausu Emuobo

www.metronaija.com/lagosians-react-to-ban-on-clothes-spreading/

1 Like

Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by dojumav: 10:24am On Aug 04, 2013
If dem born dem well make dem come ma house

8 Likes

Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by Nobody: 10:24am On Aug 04, 2013
I Dey watch
Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by Nobody: 10:26am On Aug 04, 2013
Is that the inner-roads linking people and their homes, water, job creation and health care the government or the out-of poor school fees at LASU should focus on instead of shiting goal post all the time. You don't struggle to change people behaviourable pattern by force, events and their level of sophistication naturally force them to. An educated lagosian with a monthly salary of 200k and above knowns where his pendulum will swing to. Same is the same educated lagosian with 18k also know that he can,t afford a house where he can openly display his cloths. Do we see people carrying and using firewood to cook? Up to the 80's, this practice where common in lagos in mainland. Those comparing lagos to advanced developed state where an average citizens have washing machine and also patronise laundry outfits. what is the per capital income of an average lagosian? Is it the 18k, the govt struggled to pay that a man with his family live on? In as much as i do not support overt and covert abuse of the environment but in hard and sincere term, who is the govt always targeting? THE POOR LAGOSIANS. The emergence of FASCIST second term, 99% of the state laws are callously desgined and tailored to make life miserable for poor lagosians.This practice is common in barracks, let the enforcement team go there to enforce their "civilian decree" now. Na koboko go drop ontop their ears. OMO YORUBA RONU O

34 Likes

Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by 9icest: 10:31am On Aug 04, 2013
Basically a poor man ish...Spread your stuff at the backyard.
I still toss some sh1t spread on my beautifully painted walls by some village nimcop tenant out into the street.
Mehn, this is 2013, not 1913....We gotta evolve angry

14 Likes

Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by iamswizz(m): 1:00pm On Aug 04, 2013
Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by OCTAVO: 1:01pm On Aug 04, 2013
Lolz
Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by xynerise: 1:03pm On Aug 04, 2013
Its awkward spreading clothes on the veranda. Backyard is better, where no visitors can see them.

But some houses in Lagos state have no fence. Your backyard is another man's veranda grin

11 Likes

Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by born2boink(m): 1:03pm On Aug 04, 2013
I have seen a yankee clups where cloths are hangs outside in new jersey, some even hangs pant but the issue of fashola is getting too much. Deporting innocents igbo and the blood of the dead igbo will ask for him. What kind of policy is this. If you support him today, tommorow might fall on you.

7 Likes

Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by Nobody: 1:05pm On Aug 04, 2013
cheesy
Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by sekzy99(m): 1:06pm On Aug 04, 2013
I av alwaz kip quiet bt today am nt.abeg Wu b dis mumu wey jst post link here like dis,guy i blv u r mature enof to knw aw to post a link n not like dis.abeg grow up.
Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by ebamma(m): 1:06pm On Aug 04, 2013
born2fuck: I have seen a yankee clups where cloths are hangs outside in new jersey, some even hangs pant but the issue of fashola is getting too much. Deporting innocents igbo and the blood of the dead igbo will ask for him. What kind of policy is this. If you support him today, tommorow might fall on you.
.see gbagaun, which new jersey u dey talk of, na dey one were dey for oshodi abi?

15 Likes

Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by Nobody: 1:11pm On Aug 04, 2013
Johnnyhoo:
are u slightly mad?
U quoting all that makes matters worse I tell u!!

Mods should just do their work nd hide the posts or rather ban the person life sentence!!

2 Likes

Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by CHIDONE: 1:12pm On Aug 04, 2013
Where would do they want them to spread it? maybe inside their kitchen or parlour

2 Likes

Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by funnyfun: 1:14pm On Aug 04, 2013
For Lagos to become d mega city we all dream of, things like this shd be eradicated. Even if u've not bn 2 any of dis advanced countries, @ least u see them on d TV. Do u eva see things like dis in these countries? Ride on jare, Fashola.

4 Likes

Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by justsayemma(m): 1:15pm On Aug 04, 2013
I personally hate d sight of it,since we can reason like humans,its gud 4 it 2 b enforced.its because some of us r lazy n dirty,wat wil it take any1 2 create lines 4 drying of clothes?we always admire hw orderly n neat other develop countries r,bt we r not ready 2 sacrifice,we always want a change,bt we want 2 kip doin same things.

6 Likes

Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by rali123(f): 1:15pm On Aug 04, 2013
I really don't know what the problem is here, those condemning the act can't deny not seeing how untidy some places look like with clothes, those making a living out of it should simply spread cloth through another means, must it even be outside, don't they have 'backside' as well... I hope the Lagos state can do something about the way they spread cloth outside at the barracks as well because I have never seen any barraks that is not guilty.

1 Like

Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by tpia5: 1:17pm On Aug 04, 2013
CHIDONE: Where would do they want them to spread it? maybe inside their kitchen or parlour

Even in the village, do you see people spreading clothes on the highway?

Or in the front of their houses?

1 Like

Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by Nobody: 1:17pm On Aug 04, 2013
dis Lagos na wah!

1 Like

Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by bobosydney: 1:17pm On Aug 04, 2013
If we want to move forward , we need to stop living like 17 century or living like backward people. We need to stop hanging clothes on the fence or balcony . Many Nigerians complain that our leaders didn't develop our country but some our people never stop to live like somebody from bush. So is Fashola gone too far to say that ?

3 Likes

Re: Lagosians React To Ban On Clothes Spreading by Tintinix: 1:25pm On Aug 04, 2013
I keep on reading Eko ni baje oh!
While the ease at which unfriendly and outlandish policies keep rolling out... It has not yet hit home.
Please wake up oh! And try to see injustice as it is.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Things We Crucified GEJ For That Hasn't Happened In This Administration / US Denies Blocking Fg’s Purchase Of War Aircraft / Mohammed Bello El-Rufai, Erhiatake Ibori-Suenu Named Committee Chairmen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.