Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,853 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:19 AM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (2298) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5945178 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2295) (2296) (2297) (2298) (2299) (2300) (2301) ... (2841) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by JOSCOFELIX: 7:00pm On Apr 21, 2021
Yagz:
Why does the Nigerian Govt like buying capital millitary platforms peicemeal and in insufficient numbers?

Case in point - South Africa bought 4 Meko Valour Class frigates and 3 Type 209 submarines in one transaction. Egypt is buying FREMM Frigates and Mistral LPDs for fun ..not to talk of Gorwind and Meko Class corvettes. Algeria buys MEKO Class Valour frigates from Germany and corvettes from China in substantial numbers.

Nigeria is making noise over a sole destroyer as it's replacement Flagship? Haba!

There are 3 operational naval commands (Western, Eastern and Central). The Nigerian Navy should be given the funds to purchase at least 6 well armed OPVs (with missile capabilites), 3 Meko 200 'Valour' Class frigates with similar armaments as those purchased by Algeria and at least 2 Type 52D frigates from China.

Let's be absolutely clear- Nigeria currently has no navy, just a well equipped Coast Guard with a number of in-shore patrol craft (Shaldags, and OCEA PF72 patrol boats etc).

The hand-me-down Hamlilton Class ex -Us Coastgaurd long patrol vessels - NNS Thunder and NNS Okpbana, have no missile or ASW /ASuW capabilities whatseover. The OPVs purchased from China - [b]NNS Century and NNS Unity have no missile, [/b]ASW or AsuW capabilies either- and these are supposed to be our capital ships NNS Aradu (our current Flag ship) for all intents and purposes has been reduced to a training vessel with all it's missile capabilites removed. The newly acquired NNS Lana is a Hydrographic Survey Vessel and is not armed.

Senegal is currently in the process of building naval vessels in France will soon (by 2022) have FACs with missile capabilites and thus become the only navy in West Africa with such vessels...and the Nigerian Navy ..sorry Coast Guard will then be caught napping!
NNS unity and NNS century have missile capacity stop believing media all the time
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jteku(m): 7:11pm On Apr 21, 2021
JOSCOFELIX:
NNS unity and NNS century have missile capacity stop believing media all the time

Oga they don't

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by brosiye99(m): 7:19pm On Apr 21, 2021
We didnt pay the premium amount to have missiles fitted to the ships. The same class of ships were also purchased by the Bangladesh Navy and are missile capable. They paid about 20 million dollars extra to have that capability. If we decide to have them fitted with missiles, we can send them back to China for retrofitting.

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Tochex101(m): 7:30pm On Apr 21, 2021
iblawi:
grin grin grin
Lol...your head dey there, nah 240 be dat...
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by JOSCOFELIX: 7:33pm On Apr 21, 2021
jteku:

Oga they don't
oga me just check youtube and see they have missle
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by JOSCOFELIX: 8:07pm On Apr 21, 2021
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by iblawi(m): 8:21pm On Apr 21, 2021
Tochex101:

Lol...your head dey there, nah 240 be dat...

Seriously, him dey do like this once in a while.

Yagz I sight you.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Yagz: 8:35pm On Apr 21, 2021
Greetings Tochex 101. I hail you!

Joscoflex - respectfully neither NNS Centenary or NNS Unity have missile capabilities.

Nigeria in it's 'penny wise pound foolish' wisdom, purchased the very basic export version of the Chinese Type 056 Corvette armed with only a 76 mm naval gun, 30mm and 20mm cannons. In Nigerian service they are classed as OPVs (P-18N).

The Algerian variant (currently under construction) as well as the versions purchased by Bangladesh are armed with missiles for ASuW. I guess you get what you pay for!

9 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 8:50pm On Apr 21, 2021
Odunayaw:
Why do I feel like someone opened that account to air his mind without fear of being "caught" grin

grin grin grin
Yagz, whom I suspect is the same Yagazie found on the erstwhile Beegeagle and now Defenceweb and other reputable defence sites, would not take too kindly to an imposter.
Besides, those of us who come across his musings know the writing style.

By the way, whom did you think had cloned the moniker? cheesy grin grin

I think we should all rejoice this current cesspit of intellectual mediocrity has attracted such an intellect.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by JOSCOFELIX: 8:52pm On Apr 21, 2021
Yagz:

Joscoflex - respectfully neither NNS Centenary or NNS Unity have missile capabilities.

Nigeria in it's 'penny wise pound foolish' wisdom, purchased the very basic export version of the Chinese Type 056 Corvette armed with only a 76 mm naval gun, 30mm and 20mm cannons. In Nigerian service they are classed as OPVs (P-18N).

The Algerian variant (currently under construction) as well as the versions purchased by Bangladesh are armed with missiles for ASuW. I guess you get what you pay for!
oga me make we live like that. I hope better day for nigeria navy
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by shadowprimezero: 8:56pm On Apr 21, 2021
JOSCOFELIX:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4O3C71y_uM check dis out

Thats a different ship in the class. NNS Centenary and Unity only came with the main gun on the bow and two 30mm guns on the port and starboard side each based on NN's specifications from CSIC when the projectwas commissioned. The ships have NO missiles and are strictly OPV's. Try to do a bit of research please.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Tochex101(m): 9:00pm On Apr 21, 2021
Yagz:

Respect bro!

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 9:00pm On Apr 21, 2021
Augustine, covert1, supreme whatever , ssbn , and now joscoflex.
The common denominator: fantastical tales, claims of insider info and chest beating. Minor variations in syntax notwithstanding.

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 9:03pm On Apr 21, 2021
Lurker4Long:

grin grin grin
Yagz, whom I suspect is the same Yagazie found on the erstwhile Beegeagle and now Defenceweb and other reputable defence sites, would not take too kindly to an imposter.
Besides, those of us who come across his musings know the writing style.

By the way, whom did you think had cloned the moniker? cheesy grin grin

I think we should all rejoice this current cesspit of intellectual mediocrity has attracted such an intellect.
I'm certain is one of our old guys that deactivated his account some 3 years back grin grin

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 9:05pm On Apr 21, 2021
Lurker4Long:
The common denominator: fantastical tales, claims of insider info and chest beating. Minor variations in syntax notwithstanding.
grin you're setting yourself up

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by shadowprimezero: 9:24pm On Apr 21, 2021
Lurker4Long:

Dunno if you saw the claim by Joscofelix that NAF had not only received RAAD-II nuclear cruise missiles with the JF-17, but had deployed and used it against bandits just a few hours after the JF-17 was delivered. Oh, and he somehow had the security clearance from NAF to gain him access into TAC Makurdi to see the jets even before NAF top brass did grin

6 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by JOSCOFELIX: 9:44pm On Apr 21, 2021
shadowprimezero:

Dunno if you saw the claim by Joscofelix that NAF had not only received RAAD-II nuclear cruise missiles with the JF-17, but had deployed and used it against bandits just a few hours after the JF-17 was delivered. Oh, and he somehow had the security clearance from NAF to gain him access into TAC Makurdi to see the jets even before NAF top brass did grin
the only guy that close 72 sf and tranfer them to 707 sf and the NA did not know. i clear road for your kaki

9 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Covert1: 10:12pm On Apr 21, 2021
Yagz:
Why does the Nigerian Govt like buying capital millitary platforms peicemeal and in insufficient numbers?

Case in point - South Africa bought 4 Meko Valour Class frigates and 3 Type 209 submarines in one transaction. Egypt is buying FREMM Frigates and Mistral LPDs for fun ..not to talk of Gorwind and Meko Class corvettes. Algeria buys MEKO Class Valour frigates from Germany and corvettes from China in substantial numbers.

Nigeria is making noise over a sole destroyer as it's replacement Flagship? Haba!

There are 3 operational naval commands (Western, Eastern and Central). The Nigerian Navy should be given the funds to purchase at least 6 well armed OPVs (with missile capabilites), 3 Meko 200 'Valour' Class frigates with similar armaments as those purchased by Algeria and at least 2 Type 52D frigates from China.

Let's be absolutely clear- Nigeria currently has no navy, just a well equipped Coast Guard with a number of in-shore patrol craft (Shaldags, and OCEA PF72 patrol boats etc).

The hand-me-down Hamlilton Class ex -Us Coastgaurd long patrol vessels - NNS Thunder and NNS Okpbana, have no missile or ASW /ASuW capabilities whatseover. The OPVs purchased from China - NNS Century and NNS Unity have no missile, ASW or AsuW capabilies either- and these are supposed to be our capital ships NNS Aradu (our current Flag ship) for all intents and purposes has been reduced to a training vessel with all it's missile capabilites removed. The newly acquired NNS Lana is a Hydrographic Survey Vessel and is not armed.

Senegal is currently in the process of building naval vessels in France will soon (by 2022) have FACs with missile capabilites and thus become the only navy in West Africa with such vessels...and the Nigerian Navy ..sorry Coast Guard will then be caught napping!

It is an aberration to say Nigeria has no Navy but a Coast Guard. Nigeria does have a viable Navy the largest in West Africa by number of ships, tonnage and personnel with more importantly increased hours at sea and the necessary assets for contemporary threats which reflects positively on its leadership, capacity building, priorities, planning and manpower resources.

It should be accurate to say the Nigerian Navy begun a recapitalization programme from inside out rather than from outside in. Having missile frigates or submarines is prestigious but it is not exactly what defines a Navy. The Nigerian Navy is following apace on its modernization programme with available resources at its disposal and doing so in my estimation decently with recent acquisitions of modern vessels in their class and if the trend continues will have the assets in place to put it in an enviable position in sub-saharan Africa something Senegal with its potential FACs can't match and don't have the resources to do so.

Contrast this with the South African Navy which without capacity went for prestigious valour frigates without ASW capabilities and subs without the necessary skilled set leaving you a near moribund Navy more in port than at sea. The South African Navy is now following on the heels of Nigeria's acquisition choices though not too decently whilst the Nigerian Navy is on course for the attainment of its geo-strategic and national security imperatives in the Gulf of Guinea.

The P18Ns are modern OPVs capable of surface, air and underwater warfare. They have more tonnage than those of Bangladesh. If the Nigerian Navy wanted missiles on them they would but that would mean more costs for maintenance and other factors quite unnecessary for the tasks they are meant. The OPVs are part of the medium term acquisition goals of Nigerian Navy planners.

Patrols and been at sea are more of importance to a Navy than prestige assets docked in port without the resources to engage them. As for the North Africans they have a different threat envelope and are arming accordingly.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by LTGEN: 10:41pm On Apr 21, 2021
Covert1:

It is an aberration to say Nigeria has no Navy but a Coast Guard. Nigeria does have a viable Navy the largest in West Africa by number of ships, tonnage and personnel with more importantly increased hours at sea and the necessary assets for contemporary threats which reflects positively on its leadership, capacity building, priorities, planning and manpower resources.

It should be accurate to say the Nigerian Navy begun a recapitalization programme from inside out rather than from outside in. Having missile Frigates or submarines is prestigious but it is not exactly what defines a Navy. The Nigerian Navy is following apace on its modernization programme with available resources at its disposal and doing so in my estimation decently with recent acquisitions of modern vessels in their class and if the trend continues will have the assets in place to put it in an enviable position in sub-saharan Africa something Senegal with its potential FACs can't match and don't have the resources to do so.

Contrast this with the South African Navy which without capacity went for prestigious Valour Frigates without ASW capabilities and Subs without the necessary skilled set leaving you a near moribund Navy more in port than at sea. The South African Navy is now following on the heels of Nigeria's acquisition choices though not too decently whilst the Nigerian Navy is on course for the attainment of its geo-strategic and national security imperatives in the Gulf of Guinea.

The P18Ns are modern OPVs capable of surface, air and underwater warfare. They have more tonnage than those of Bangladesh. If the Nigerian Navy wanted missiles on them they would but that would mean more costs for maintenance and other factors quite unnecessary for the tasks they are meant. The OPVs are part of the medium term acquisition goals of Nigerian Navy planners.

Patrols and been at sea are more of importance to a Navy than prestige assets docked in port without the resources to engage them. As for the North Africans they have a different threat envelope and are arming accordingly.
They still should of built the UNITY AND CENTENARY with MISSILE capability regardless .The premise that Nigeria procures stuff piecemeal is accurate . it does not detract from the fact they want to buy a frigate

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Covert1: 10:51pm On Apr 21, 2021
LTGEN:

They still should of built the UNITY AND CENTENARY with MISSILE capability regardless .The premise that Nigeria procures stuff piecemeal is accurate . it does not detract from the fact they want to buy a frigate
Everybody would love to see more prestigious ships in numbers but there is not the political will in Nigeria. When you have a political class or a president in the mould of Shehu Shagari then possibly but right now it is not feasible. If you were to be a defense planner you would act based on what you are given based on the threat envelope you face factoring costs overheads which explains lack of missile ships presently. Yes, the proposed frigate is a plus either way.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Covert1: 10:59pm On Apr 21, 2021
JOSCOFELIX:
Yes and No. You use languages that confuse them. Most here won't comprehend capacity or the difference with that and capability. I go this length to say that because it is you. You love your country but most people here don't take too kindly that it is a plausible reality for Nigeria.

But they are stealth, capable of surface, air and underwater warfare and can be quickly retrofitted with missiles in a high intensity conflict with a peer Naval power. However we are not going to be chasing pirates with expensive to maintain frigates on a lean budget. The P18Ns are very adequate and great assets. Actually OPVs are the darling of Navies worldwide and we have them.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 11:49pm On Apr 21, 2021
shadowprimezero:

I did. And when I pointed out the RAAD' genesis, and how it wasn't even in production, his fans pointed me to how South Africa was not perfect.
As if I, a South African, didn't know this.
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 11:56pm On Apr 21, 2021
Odunayaw:
grin you're setting yourself up

grin grin grin

Let them come. I'm working from home this week and can do with the amusement.
LOL!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 12:00am On Apr 22, 2021
Covert1:

Yes and No. You use languages that confuse them. Most here won't comprehend capacity or the difference with that and capability. I go this length to say that because it is you. You love your country but most people here don't take too kindly that it is a plausible reality for Nigeria.

But they are stealth, capable of surface, air and underwater warfare and can be quickly retrofitted with missiles in a high intensity conflict with a peer Naval power. However we are not going to be chasing pirates with expensive to maintain frigates on a lean budget. The P18Ns are very adequate and great assets. Actually OPVs are the darling of Navies worldwide and we have them.
Conversing with yourself, again?

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Yagz: 10:13am On Apr 22, 2021
Ogas Odunayaw and Luker4Long- I hail you. Confirmed Yagz and Yagazie are one and the same person. No imposter- lol!

My brother Covert 1, I concede that you do make some very valid and solid points on the present state of the Nigerian Navy and it's recapitalization programme and agree with most of what you say.

To recap:

[[b]i]''It is an aberration to say Nigeria has no Navy but a Coast Guard. Nigeria does have a viable Navy the largest in West Africa by number of ships, tonnage and personnel with more importantly increased hours at sea and the necessary assets for contemporary threats which reflects positively on its leadership, capacity building, priorities, planning and manpower resources.

It should be accurate to say the Nigerian Navy begun a recapitalization programme from inside out rather than from outside in. Having missile Frigates or submarines is prestigious but it is not exactly what defines a Navy. The Nigerian Navy is following apace on its modernization programme with available resources at its disposal and doing so in my estimation decently with recent acquisitions of modern vessels in their class and if the trend continues will have the [assets in place to put it in an enviable position in sub-saharan Africa something Senegal with its potential FACs can't match and don't have the resources to do so.

Contrast this with the South African Navy which without capacity went for prestigious Valour Frigates without ASW capabilities and Subs without the necessary skilled set leaving you a near moribund Navy more in port than at sea. The South African Navy is now following on the heels of Nigeria's acquisition choices though not too decently whilst the Nigerian Navy is on course for the attainment of its geo-strategic and national security imperatives in the Gulf of Guinea.''[/i][/b]

However, that said, in my humble opinion, the main purpose of having a navy is to ensure the protection of a Country's maritime domain/EEZ and project power within it's sphere/area of influence.

(1)- Firstly let me begin by paying tribute to the brave officers and ratings (men/women) of the Nigerian Navy. They are a bunch of brave professional operatives doing a great and hazardous job in very challenging circumstances.

(2) - The Piracy situation in the Gulf of Guinea is currently spiraling out of control. The majority of these attacks occur in Nigeria's territorital waters especially between Brass and Bonny and are undertaken by pirates operating out of Nigeria. The Nigerian navy (with all it's numerous inshore Patrol Craft of different variants)- has so far been unable to stem the tide. KUDOS however to our elite Special Boat Service (SBS) personnel for the great work they are doing.

(3)- The pirates are now becoming emboldened to the extent that they can now undertake attacks on ships situated up to 200 nautical miles off Nigeria's coast. This is where the need for well armed long range OPVs (in sufficient numbers) come in. It is now so bad that Denmark (a country of about 4-5 million people) will soon be sending a Frigate to the Gulf of Guinea to protect it's merchant vessels transisting the GoG. Note - they are sending a Frigate, not an OPV.

(4)- Hopefully with NIMASA's much vaunted Intergrated National Security and Waterways Protection Infrastructure programme aka 'Maritime Deep Blue Project', Nigeria should soon be better able to police it's maritime domain- if the political will exists to allow this project take off and the project is implemented in it's entirety.

(5) - Whilst I agree that the Nigerian Navy is following apace on it's mordenisation programme, from 'inside - out' as opposed to 'outside - in' - the brutal truth is that 'to whom much is given, much is expected'. In the West African sub-region, Nigeria (by virute of its economic clout and vast pool of trained /skilled human resources), has no peer- and I say this with all sense of respect to our fellow West African brethren.

(6)- Thus Nigeria should thus be comparing itself to it's 'peers' on the African Continent, namely Egypt, Algeria, Morroco and South Africa and consequently at the same time as purchasing in-shore patrol craft and OPVs, we should also be purchasing Frigates and Corvettes- both with helicopters equipped for ASW, missile capable FACs, LPDs and most importantly fleet replenishment vessels - to support our ships on extended deplyments at sea. Unlike what obtains with Morrocco, Egypt, Algeria or South Africa, can you recall the last time that a Western (i.e. American, French, German, Italian, British, Dutch or Spanish) naval power or indeed the Chinese navy conducted real naval excercises with the Nigerian navy? Please I am not talking of the annual OBANGAME EXPRESS where Western navies send 'token' vessels to have 'exercises' with a motely collection of vessels from West African navies.

(7)- This is all the more cogent because Nigeria has in the past had/operated missile capable FAC, Corvettes, ASW helicopters (Lynx MK1) and a General Purpose Frigate- in effect real capital naval platforms that were all manned by capable Nigerian officers and ratings. It was simply mismanagement/corruption and years of millitary rule that degraded our capacity to maintain same. Thus the comparison with South Africa is not really appropriate as we have always had competent personnel to man our Frigates, Corvettes and Fast Attack Craft. Recall that NNS Aradu and before that one of our corvettes (NNS Dorina?) had undertaken Atlantic crossings on good will visits to Brazil in South America.

(cool- South Africa purchased Four Meko 200 'Valour Class' frigates and 3 Type 209 submarines in the early 1990's. The truth is that South Africa had the capability to maintain and operate these vessels but because of 'BEE' (i.e. black empowerement ) issues the capable 'white' officers and men who could have operated these vessels pending the gradual training of black personnel, where eased out of the navy. Recall that during the 'Apparthied' era, the South African Navy operated submarines and Frigates. Thus in my humble opinion, South Africa's problems as far as the operations/ maintenance of their capital platforms are concerned, are self-inflicted.

(9)- Our OPVs are not capable of undertaking aerial or underwater warfare as they not equipped for same. They have no surface to air missiles capability nor do they have towed array sonar or mines/depth charges for sub-surface operations. The embarked helicopters - AW109s are not equipped for anti-submarine operations. The main armament - 76mm naval gun could engage surface targets, but would have difficulty coming up against a missle armed vessel.

(10)- Thus I am still respectfully of the view that the Nigerian Navy in it's current state has attained the status of a reasonably well equipped Coast Guard service and with the incoming Hydrographic Vessel - NNS Lana and Damen 100 LST being built in the UAE etc may well be on it's way to reclaiming it's former glory as a true 'blue water' navy that it once was.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Covert1: 11:00am On Apr 22, 2021
Yagz:
Ogas Odunayaw and Luker4Long- I hail you. Confirmed Yagz and Yagazie are one and the same person. No imposter- lol!

My brother Covert 1, I concede that you do make some very valid and solid points on the present state of the Nigerian Navy and it's recapitalization programme and agree with most of what you say.

To recap:

[[b]i]''It is an aberration to say Nigeria has no Navy but a Coast Guard. Nigeria does have a viable Navy the largest in West Africa by number of ships, tonnage and personnel with more importantly increased hours at sea and the necessary assets for contemporary threats which reflects positively on its leadership, capacity building, priorities, planning and manpower resources.

It should be accurate to say the Nigerian Navy begun a recapitalization programme from inside out rather than from outside in. Having missile Frigates or submarines is prestigious but it is not exactly what defines a Navy. The Nigerian Navy is following apace on its modernization programme with available resources at its disposal and doing so in my estimation decently with recent acquisitions of modern vessels in their class and if the trend continues will have the [assets in place to put it in an enviable position in sub-saharan Africa something Senegal with its potential FACs can't match and don't have the resources to do so.

Contrast this with the South African Navy which without capacity went for prestigious Valour Frigates without ASW capabilities and Subs without the necessary skilled set leaving you a near moribund Navy more in port than at sea. The South African Navy is now following on the heels of Nigeria's acquisition choices though not too decently whilst the Nigerian Navy is on course for the attainment of its geo-strategic and national security imperatives in the Gulf of Guinea.''[/i][/b]

However, that said, in my humble opinion, the main purpose of having a navy is to ensure the protection of a Country's maritime domain/EEZ and project power within it's sphere/area of influence.

(1)- Firstly let me begin by paying tribute to the brave officers and ratings (men/women) of the Nigerian Navy. They are a bunch of brave professional operatives doing a great and hazardous job in very challenging circumstances.

(2) - The Piracy situation in the Gulf of Guinea is currently spiraling out of control. The majority of these attacks occur in Nigeria's territorital waters especially between Brass and Bonny and are undertaken by pirates operating out of Nigeria. The Nigerian navy (with all it's numerous inshore Patrol Craft of different variants)- has so far been unable to stem the tide. KUDOS however to our elite Special Boat Service (SBS) personnel for the great work they are doing.

(3)- The pirates are now becoming emboldened to the extent that they can now undertake attacks on ships situated up to 200 nautical miles off Nigeria's coast. This is where the need for well armed long range OPVs (in sufficient numbers) come in. It is now so bad that Denmark (a country of about 4-5 million people) will soon be sending a Frigate to the Gulf of Guinea to protect it's merchant vessels transisting the GoG. Note - they are sending a Frigate, not an OPV.

(4)- Hopefully with NIMASA's much vaunted Intergrated National Security and Waterways Protection Infrastructure programme aka 'Maritime Deep Blue Project', Nigeria should soon be better able to police it's maritime domain- if the political will exists to allow this project take off and the project is implemented in it's entirety.

(5) - Whilst I agree that the Nigerian Navy is following apace on it's mordenisation programme, from 'inside - out' as opposed to 'outside - in' - the brutal truth is that 'to whom much is given, much is expected'. In the West African sub-region, Nigeria (by virute of its economic clout and vast pool of trained /skilled human resources), has no peer- and I say this with all sense of respect to our fellow West African brethren.

(6)- Thus Nigeria should thus be comparing itself to it's 'peers' on the African Continent, namely Egypt, Algeria, Morroco and South Africa and consequently at the same time as purchasing in-shore patrol craft and OPVs, we should also be purchasing Frigates and Corvettes- both with helicopters equipped for ASW, missile capable FACs, LPDs and most importantly fleet replenishment vessels - to support our ships on extended deplyments at sea. Unlike what obtains with Morrocco, Egypt, Algeria or South Africa, can you recall the last time that a Western (i.e. American, French, German, Italian, British, Dutch or Spanish) naval power or indeed the Chinese navy conducted real naval excercises with the Nigerian navy? Please I am not talking of the annual OBANGAME EXPRESS where Western navies send 'token' vessels to have 'exercises' with a motely collection of vessels from West African navies.

(7)- This is all the more cogent because Nigeria has in the past had/operated missile capable FAC, Corvettes, ASW helicopters (Lynx MK1) and a General Purpose Frigate- in effect real capital naval platforms that were all manned by capable Nigerian officers and ratings. It was simply mismanagement/corruption and years of millitary rule that degraded our capacity to maintain same. Thus the comparison with South Africa is not really appropriate as we have always had competent personnel to man our Frigates, Corvettes and Fast Attack Craft. Recall that NNS Aradu and before that one of our corvettes (NNS Dorina?) had undertaken Atlantic crossings on good will visits to Brazil in South America.

(cool- South Africa purchased Four Meko 200 'Valour Class' frigates and 3 Type 209 submarines in the early 1990's. The truth is that South Africa had the capability to maintain and operate these vessels but because of 'BEE' (i.e. black empowerement ) issues the capable 'white' officers and men who could have operated these vessels pending the gradual training of black personnel, where eased out of the navy. Recall that during the 'Apparthied' era, the South African Navy operated submarines and Frigates. Thus in my humble opinion, South Africa's problems as far as the operations/ maintenance of their capital platforms are concerned, are self-inflicted.

(9)- Our OPVs are not capable of undertaking aerial or underwater warfare as they not equipped for same. They have no surface to air missiles capability nor do they have towed array sonar or mines/depth charges for sub-surface operations. The embarked helicopters - AW109s are not equipped for anti-submarine operations. The main armament - 76mm naval gun could engage surface targets, but would have difficulty coming up against a missle armed vessel.

(10)- Thus I am still respectfully of the view that the Nigerian Navy in it's current state has attained the status of a reasonably well equipped Coast Guard service and with the incoming Hydrographic Vessel - NNS Lana and Damen 100 LST being built in the UAE etc may well be on it's way to reclaiming it's former glory as a true 'blue water' navy that it once was.

Excellent view points. We agree on the salient points. However I respectfully disagree that the "Nigerian Navy in its current status is a well equipped Coast Guard service". The Navy's recapitalization programme is well within it's short, medium and long term acquisition goals. However in its current state it possesses an array of advanced vessels and assets for maritime operations short of missile armed boats. I'll be brief as we tend to agree beyond matters of designation. Aerial warfare is not conducted alone or possible only by surface to air missiles and sonar is one aspect of underwater warfare. When I have time I'll put up I hope enough open source information to support this analysis. The stealth features of the NN P18Ns afford it some significant advantages in combat and the ability to approach within effective range of its precision guns. Denmark is a maritime country and it is only practical for it to deploy a frigate class ship at such distance something the Nigerian Navy has also excelled at with port visits to Australia with its Frigate class of ship NNS Thunder albeit without the missiles. All said Nigeria is on track to meet expectations and yes you are right the South African Navy and in general its military wounds are self inflicted with low level skilled officer cadre. The SADF was a pride to watch.

I'll make further submissions but we look forward to Nigeria acting its size on the world stage.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by JOSCOFELIX: 11:21am On Apr 22, 2021
https://twitter.com/i/status/1385139732695355396 WATCH THIS AND MAKE YOU STUDY PLEASE
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Whyem15: 11:51am On Apr 22, 2021
JOSCOFELIX:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1385139732695355396 WATCH THIS AND MAKE YOU STUDY PLEASE

Maj. Gen Wahab was/is a very brilliant military officer, very capable in military affairs but he should leave foreign policy and international politics to those who are professionals in these fields.
The laws he talked about weren't created specifically to punish Nigeria, smart governments know their ways around them. NGOs are the same all over the world, smart people know how to put them in their place and prevent them from hindering their successes.
If the west won't help you because it is against their own interests, why not find friends that your interests align with and can help you or align your own interests with those of the countries that can help you.
If the west doesn't sell weapons to you, the east will. For every weapon type the west has to offer, the East has an equivalent or something that can serve the same purpose.
Is it only the west that has satellites? What happened to Russia and China? What happened to launching your own satellites?
Excuses won't get us anywhere.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by JOSCOFELIX: 12:00pm On Apr 22, 2021
Whyem15:

Maj. Gen Wahab was/is a very brilliant military officer, very capable in military affairs but he should leave foreign policy and international politics to those who are professionals in these fields.
The laws he talked about weren't created specifically to punish Nigeria, smart governments know their ways around them. NGOs are the same all over the world, smart people know how to put them in their place and prevent them from hindering their successes.
If the west won't help you because it is against their own interests, why not find friends that your interests align with and can help you or align your own interests with those of the countries that can help you.
If the west doesn't sell weapons to you, the east will. For every weapon type the west has to offer, the East has an equivalent or something that can serve the same purpose.
Is it only the west that has satellites? What happened to Russia and China? What happened to launching your own satellites?
Excuses won't get us anywhere.
thanks, good point sir. respectfully i think the Nigeria government later went to country like china and Russia. check that out
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Whyem15: 12:17pm On Apr 22, 2021
JOSCOFELIX:
thanks, good point sir. respectfully i think the Nigeria government later went to country like china and Russia. check that out

Yeah, but not fully..... Maybe it's time we stop being a third world country and align totally with either faction. We are too weak to be forming non-aligned. And we can also go the Iranian way.

We just need a lot of reforms in every sector. They will take several years before we start seeing results but it is probably the only thing that can save Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by JOSCOFELIX: 12:32pm On Apr 22, 2021
Whyem15:

Yeah, but not fully..... Maybe it's time we stop being a third world country and align totally with either faction. We are too weak to be forming non-aligned. And we can also go the Iranian way.

We just need a lot of reforms in every sector. They will take several years before we start seeing results but it is probably the only thing that can save Nigeria.
very true sir i hope with dicon with more internal military company and more coming this gap will be close

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Covert1: 6:27pm On Apr 22, 2021
Anticipated induction of new frigate to enhance the war fighting capability of the Nigerian Navy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cUMrmlc240

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2295) (2296) (2297) (2298) (2299) (2300) (2301) ... (2841) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.