Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,779 members, 7,802,395 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:41 PM

Nigeria: One Nation Under God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nigeria: One Nation Under God? (2310 Views)

The Only True Nation Under God / The New Islamic Nation In Undeniable Bible Prophecies / The Change We Need 2011 The Youth Of The Nation: Our Future And Our Hope (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria: One Nation Under God? by Purist(m): 12:58pm On Aug 08, 2013
Nigeria is a complex mesh of ethnicity, language, and religion, with much diversity and mixing amongst its people. Broadly speaking though, according to the CIA World Factbook, Nigeria’s religious make-up is 50 per cent Muslim, 40 per cent Christian, and 10 per cent indigenous beliefs, such as the Yoruba religion. Non-belief doesn’t even figure in the statistics. Islam is predominant in the twelve northern states, to the extent that they are all under partial or full Sharia law, where blasphemy can be punished by execution. The central and southern regions can be thought of – with many caveats – as majority Christian.

The prevalence of religion in Nigeria has only entrenched it as an unquestionable absolute – a law of nature as real as the second law of thermodynamics – such that even the most intelligent Nigerians often fail to identify the causes of Nigeria’s problems, and instead believe that the supernatural is their cause and solution. As Lola puts it, “Rationality is not allowed to supersede belief.” This invariably creates an environment where democracy is sidelined and despotism can flourish. With the divine as the final judge, accountability is seen as pointless. And since various supernatural forces are held responsible for problems, politicians can often get away with no punishment. In fact, Lola tells me that when a politician is confronted with a particular problem the best response – the one which will be lauded most by the media – is that he will pray. Thanks to the central importance of religion in Nigeria and many other African countries, elites are freed of the necessary checks on power and are able to do whatever they wish. Perhaps the best example Clive and Lola can find of this attitude is under the rule of Nigeria’s dictator General Sani Abacha, when people simply said of his brutality, “God will deal with him.

The catch-22 in Nigeria is that because religion prevents the state from properly functioning, it leads to a lack of effective institutions – most importantly a welfare state. Perversely, religion then fills this vacuum, thereby forcing millions of people into reliance on churches or mosques for their very survival – compounding the political breakdown through the social dominance of religion. Tithes and donations (normally around 10 per cent of income) effectively constitute taxes, and Christians in particular have turned this into a business where the top religious leaders can become billionaires. Indeed, Pastor E A Adeboye, founder of the Redeemed Christian Church of God – a Pentecostal church with branches across the world – is one of many top pastors in proud possession of a private jet.

Wider Nigerian culture reflects this overbearing focus on religion, with TV networks broadcasting hours of sermons and religious talk shows, and some universities requiring prayers at the beginning of lectures. In short, Nigeria is stuck. “There’s no progress,” says Clive. “All you see is more and more churches and mosques…all the effort and ingenuity of the people goes into religious activities. It’s holding us back.” Lola goes further: “In Nigeria religion is a force for evil.” She believes that if nothing changes soon, religious fundamentalism – in the form of the Islamist group Boko Haram – could cause a civil war. Then they speculate as to how many Nigerians have had great ideas but no way of realizing them due to the amount of time and space religion takes up in their lives. “If Einstein was born in Nigeria. . .” Lola says, “. . .he’d be a pastor!” finishes Clive.

The above is an extract. Read full article here: http://www.newstatesman.com/religion/2013/08/it-harder-come-out-atheist-if-youre-black
Re: Nigeria: One Nation Under God? by orgasticdance: 2:01pm On Aug 08, 2013
Read the article. It's infinitely harder if you're a nigerian living in nigeria; case in point at my last job (a popular naija bank) when i was filling my employee form there were only two fields for religion; islam and christianity; fear no make me put atheist. But i eventually opened up to a few colleagues at work. And the world did not end. i opened up to family folks, the world still didnt end, In fact one of my super cool cousins also came out as well after i did. Made me happy that i had a comrade in the family circle. I only have one friend who is openly atheist (my cousin, lol) and would encourage more people to come out. I won't mind a naija atheist group at all, beyond the very useful e-one we have here in nairaland.
Re: Nigeria: One Nation Under God? by mazaje(m): 2:35pm On Aug 08, 2013
orgasticdance: Read the article. It's infinitely harder if you're a nigerian living in nigeria; case in point at my last job (a popular naija bank) when i was filling my employee form there were only two fields for religion; islam and christianity; fear no make me put atheist. But i eventually opened up to a few colleagues at work. And the world did not end. i opened up to family folks, the world still didnt end, In fact one of my super cool cousins also came out as well after i did. Made me happy that i had a comrade in the family circle. I only have one friend who is openly atheist (my cousin, lol) and would encourage more people to come out. I won't mind a naija atheist group at all, beyond the very useful e-one we have here in nairaland.

Some Nigerians are now beginning to think ohh. . .Many are travelling out to europe where religion has been thrown out of the window, many can not just reconcile the religious claims and positions they hold and the reality they see on ground. . .People are now asking questions. . .But its still a very very very long way to go. . .I just tell people i don't believe in miracles, most time I get a negative answer, like you are doubting god or you are siding with the evil one, bla bla bla. .But a few people say things like I don't even know what to believe any more. . .Its encouraging that few people are beginning to reason and not think like drones. . .
Re: Nigeria: One Nation Under God? by Nobody: 2:44pm On Aug 08, 2013
orgasticdance: Read the article. It's infinitely harder if you're a nigerian living in nigeria; case in point at my last job (a popular naija bank) when i was filling my employee form there were only two fields for religion; islam and christianity; fear no make me put atheist. But i eventually opened up to a few colleagues at work. And the world did not end. i opened up to family folks, the world still didnt end, In fact one of my super cool cousins also came out as well after i did. Made me happy that i had a comrade in the family circle. I only have one friend who is openly atheist (my cousin, lol) and would encourage more people to come out. I won't mind a naija atheist group at all, beyond the very useful e-one we have here in nairaland.
Good one. Though for some, the world may end.. Being able to sustain oneself financially and otherwise might make things a lot easier too..
Re: Nigeria: One Nation Under God? by Purist(m): 3:16pm On Aug 08, 2013
mazaje:

Some Nigerians are now beginning to think ohh. . .Many are travelling out to europe where religion has been thrown out of the window, many can not just reconcile the religious claims and positions they hold and the reality they see on ground. . .People are now asking questions. . .But its still a very very very long way to go. . .I just tell people i don't believe in miracles, most time I get a negative answer, like you are doubting god or you are siding with the evil one, bla bla bla. .But a few people say things like I don't even know what to believe any more. . .Its encouraging that few people are beginning to reason and not think like drones. . .

You're right. I've observed that there is a growing openness towards non-religiousity by many Nigerians where I live and in other parts of Europe as well. I believe that the situation is helped by the fact that mine is a predominantly atheist country where everything also seems to work. Many Nigerians here are unable to understand how such an "ungodly" nation can be so advanced and efficient in virtually everything. The reality on ground does not conform to their beliefs, so they tend to subconsciously adjust their own position over time. Furthermore, coming in contact with atheists all the time completely dispels the whole stereotype they've always held about non-believers being evil, immoral and all that. Where I live, the people are particularly known for their extreme honesty. This creates some sort of cognitive dissonance for the Nigerians here -- how can unbelievers be so honest and so kind? This is the only society I know where if you lose something valuable in a public place, you're more than likely to get it back. I've recently become very open (when asked of course) to other Nigerians about my unbelief, and contrary to my expectations, many just shrug. At worst, they'll simply say "bro, forget o, God dey!"

I have also observed the change in attitude of the Nigerians that arrived here recently towards religion. I recall how many of them would constantly invoke God in every discussion when they first arrived. But after one, two years, it's very interesting to observe that their level of religiousity has declined. In fact, many of them now ask questions that surprise me myself. Of course, the religiosity as a whole is extremely hard to shake off completely, and many of them are still very much theistic. But there's a lot of encouragement still.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria: One Nation Under God? by Purist(m): 3:21pm On Aug 08, 2013

There's one on Facebook: https://www./223797527734651/
Re: Nigeria: One Nation Under God? by Nobody: 3:21pm On Aug 08, 2013
Nice article there.Veeery true.i accepted i was an agnostic after an extended period of intense struggle.The fetters of religion aren't easy to break off esp if u went neckdeep in the shit.It's been really difficult for me to come out,let people know i'm an iconoclast.Only my room mates in school know i'm a non-believer n i've had some influence on them but their fear is having a better part of them.Some other people suspect me since i dont seem to conform to any religion n hardly go to church,yet they dont know where to place me due to my outward disposition.Several church going mates find it hard to preach to me cos i'm overtly more morally upright than them.Everyday i wonder if i could ever open up to my family.My mum,it would so break her heart...
Re: Nigeria: One Nation Under God? by Purist(m): 3:43pm On Aug 08, 2013
The truth is, religion is dying. Its rigidity and stance on certain contemporary issues such as homosexuality is making people have a rethink. In order for religion to survive, it will have to evolve. We're seeing this with Christianity already with the recent statements made by Pope Francis and Desmond Tutu. Islamic violence is also forcing a lot of rational Muslims to think twice about their so-called religion of peace. Just a few days ago, I had a chat with my Iranian flat mate who happens to be an atheist. He considers Islam to be nonsense. He also talked about how many of his friends and many other young people in Iran are ditching Islam by the day. He said I should forget about the fact that his country is officially called "The Islamic Republic of Iran", that the reality is more and more people are becoming atheists, although many still remain in the closet for fear of being "fatwa'd". grin Even clergy men are beginning to denounce religion.

A new study recently predicted that religion will disappear by 2041. Personally, I think it will take much longer. But the signs are already there. We are already witnessing the decline of religion.
Re: Nigeria: One Nation Under God? by millhouse: 3:44pm On Aug 08, 2013
So on point here ...fela saw all this
Re: Nigeria: One Nation Under God? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Aug 08, 2013
A friend actually shared with me some hours ago the original well detailed article, it was a lovely read all through. The Lola in the article is a good friend of mine on Facebook, Nigerians have begun opening their eyes and asking daring questions.

I am a bleeped up atheist, i came to this conclysion after taking an adventurous walk in the theistic world, i came to the conclusion that religion is a mind trick and should never be taken seriously.
Re: Nigeria: One Nation Under God? by Nobody: 4:17pm On Aug 08, 2013
Purist:

I'm a proud member of that lovely group.
Re: Nigeria: One Nation Under God? by orgasticdance: 5:08pm On Aug 08, 2013
mazaje:

That's what bothers me. Why do u have to travel out before you recognize the lies for what they are. Growing up, i wasn't exposed to good books or traveling but just seeing how societies were functional on tv( watched from a neighbours house lol, vhs players and movies were forbidden in my house) witout necessairly invoking God or evil as we do here made me suspect there may be something wrong with us. and in primary four in my catholic school one of my bold cool friends was whipped for asking a sister/nun/teacher one weird question or for refusing to pray with the rosary(can't honestly remember), but it left a lasting impression on my mind, maybe sweet daddy jesus wasn't really as sweeet and kind as he was cracked up to be. And was mainly used as a tool by authority to coerce and subject weak people to the pervase ways of authority, of course this last thought came to me as an adult. But it helped reinforce my conviction that there was something screwed up about religion even before comprehending the defintion of atheism.

Beretta92: Nice article there.Veeery true.i accepted i was an agnostic after an extended period of intense struggle.The fetters of religion aren't easy to break off esp if u went neckdeep in the shit.It's been really difficult for me to come out,let people know i'm an iconoclast.Only my room mates in school know i'm a non-believer n i've had some influence on them but their fear is having a better part of them.Some other people suspect me since i dont seem to conform to any religion n hardly go to church,yet they dont know where to place me due to my outward disposition.Several church going mates find it hard to preach to me cos i'm overtly more morally upright than them.Everyday i wonder if i could ever open up to my family.My mum,it would so break her heart...
I had a similar experience. My mumsi was into everything; the orthodox churches did not do, she was deeply involved in deeper life and later mountain of fire, and is still very religious. But u need to cut out the sentimentality, u r ur own man/woman. To thine own self be true.. it's worse to pretend, even if people get away with it all the time. i believe you should not deny your mum the chance of knowing the true you, not the one you want to conform to her biased expectations of you. It's more genuine and sincere but I won't even pretend that it's easy, my mum is as sweet as most mothers are and i had this fear as well, but it wasn't half as bad as i thought it would be. I also think if you're good-exceptional in some othr area, say ur career or academics, it may help deflect some of her fears/worries.
musKeeto:
Good one. Though for some, the world may end.. Being able to sustain oneself financially and otherwise might make things a lot easier too..
I partly agree. especially for people who depend on the support structure of churches and religous groups to help find material benefits like jobs, marital partners, and a community to carve an identity from etc. Would be harder for them to come out undecided but that's messed up undecided
Purist:

Thanks.
Re: Nigeria: One Nation Under God? by mazaje(m): 5:30pm On Aug 08, 2013
From one of the comments on the board I got this. . .

"They think if you’re an atheist you’re rejecting the culture and the society – that you’re a traitor when you drop the religion and beliefs of the society.

It is only in Nigeria that a public official will tell the people that a road project will be completed or that salaries will be paid ‘by the grace of God’. Politicians rig elections and say it is ‘the will of God’ and I
dare say most people believe them. ‘Just leave it to God’ is a common saying among Nigerians. Every single thing is spiritualized in Nigeria. The whole country is steeped in such palpable religious fervour yet the country is in a mess. It’s ridiculous. One would think that a country where everyone is so
concerned about ‘morals’ would be a place where very basic things get done for the benefit of all.

Indeed in the UK it is simply a non-issue for one to identify as atheist, agnostic or any other term that indicates very minimal or no involvement with religion. Who the hell cares? In Nigeria it is extremely rare to find someone in 'real life' that puts on the atheist label. ‘Which church do you attend?’ is a question you can expect in social interaction among Nigerians and you would get disapproving looks if you dare say ‘none’. Yes, on social media- because of the greater room for freedom of expression and the anonymity it affords- you might find the odd Nigerian who
freely expresses his irreligious and secular opinions. However, young or old, rich or poor, degree- educated or stark illiterate, the average Nigerian is either a Christian or Muslim. These are two foreign religions the people fight and kill each other over."
Re: Nigeria: One Nation Under God? by mazaje(m): 6:11pm On Aug 08, 2013
Purist:

You're right. I've observed that there is a growing openness towards non-religiousity by many Nigerians where I live and in other parts of Europe as well. I believe that the situation is helped by the fact that mine is a predominantly atheist country where everything also seems to work. Many Nigerians here are unable to understand how such an "ungodly" nation can be so advanced and efficient in virtually everything. The reality on ground does not conform to their beliefs, so they tend to subconsciously adjust their own position over time. Furthermore, coming in contact with atheists all the time completely dispels the whole stereotype they've always held about non-believers being evil, immoral and all that. Where I live, the people are particularly known for their extreme honesty. This creates some sort of cognitive dissonance for the Nigerians here -- how can unbelievers be so honest and so kind? This is the only society I know where if you lose something valuable in a public place, you're more than likely to get it back. I've recently become very open (when asked of course) to other Nigerians about my unbelief, and contrary to my expectations, many just shrug. At worst, they'll simply say "bro, forget o, God dey!"

I have also observed the change in attitude of the Nigerians that arrived here recently towards religion. I recall how many of them would constantly invoke God in every discussion when they first arrived. But after one, two years, it's very interesting to observe that their level of religiousity has declined. In fact, many of them now ask questions that surprise me myself. Of course, the religiosity as a whole is extremely hard to shake off completely, and many of them are still very much theistic. But there's a lot of encouragement still.

I can really understand what you are saying. . .Back in Denmark Nigerians there actually find it difficult to understand that people that are so godless are so organized, honest and run a very efficient and effective system . . .

The last time I told a student pastor that I was an atheist all he said was that you sef don join them abi and he smiled. . .We are still friends . .Tell a pastor in Nigeria that you are an atheist and you will be surprised at his reaction. Africans that come here tend to be less superstitious. . .
Re: Nigeria: One Nation Under God? by mazaje(m): 6:34pm On Aug 08, 2013
more from the comments. . .

"The article mentioned the percentage of people who follow indigenous beliefs. It is however unfortunate that generally
such people are stigmatized and denounced as evil people who need to be saved. Such self-loathing is obviously one of the lingering effects of colonization on some of us. Also regrettable is that this negative perception is frequently displayed in Nigerian movies (Nollywood) where the evil person is always the one in the village who practices indigenous religion and the good person is always the born-again and tongue-speaking Christian. The message these movies pass across is that indigenous religion is all about voodoo, witchcraft and everything evil. I have never seen a Nollywood movie where our indigenous
religions are positively portrayed. I find this particularly sad because centuries of history and art are being destroyed in Nigeria in the name of ’liberation’ crusades organised by the verystrong and rapidly expanding pentecostal movement in Nigeria.

Nigerians seriously need to wake up. God is not going to solve our problems for us. It is in our hands!"
Re: Nigeria: One Nation Under God? by JKendi(m): 6:56pm On Aug 08, 2013
U guys just need one tin; to believe in the existence of God, and to believe in the existence of Satan.

Do not forget that its the people u r trying to emulate that acted The Passion of Jesus Christ and series of them.

Do not forget that the bible is there, and, always there.[color=#006600][/color]

Re: Nigeria: One Nation Under God? by Nobody: 7:00pm On Aug 08, 2013
orgasticdance:
I had a similar experience. My mumsi was into everything; the orthodox churches did not do, she was deeply involved in deeper life and later mountain of fire, and is still very religious. But u need to cut out the sentimentality, u r ur own man/woman. To thine own self be true.. it's worse to pretend, even if people get away with it all the time. i believe you should not deny your mum the chance of knowing the true you, not the one you want to conform to her biased expectations of you. It's more genuine and sincere but I won't even pretend that it's easy, my mum is as sweet as most mothers are and i had this fear as well, but it wasn't half as bad as i thought it would be. I also think if you're good-exceptional in some othr area, say ur career or academics, it may help deflect some of her fears/worries.

My mum's a staunch deeper lifer.seeing hw mad she is about my not attending church regularly,i can't imagine hw she'd react to my non-belief.Anyways,i hope to develop your kinda gut someday.
Re: Nigeria: One Nation Under God? by EvilBrain1(m): 11:23pm On Aug 08, 2013
I've been coming out slowly at work for the past year or so. Most of the colleagues I'm close to already know I'm an atheist. Plenty of others at least suspect it. Whenever anybody at work asks about my religion, I usually tell the truth except when it's a oga who has the ability to mess up my career (then I lie my ãśş off!)

So far, other than some preaching, everybody has been fairly cool about it. The worst that has happened is when one guy started blabbing his mouth to everybody (including my fanatical then-boss who was known for imposing his radical Christianity on everybody under him). The guy in question later apologised though and we're now cool.

What I've found is that when you have a good reputation and people like you, they are more tolerant of your atheism. It also helps if there are enough devoutly religious people around acting like complete åsshöles.

On the other hand, you need to be careful about religiously intolerant bosses who can seseriously harm your career it they know. This is Nigeria, so it's not as if you can sue if you get discriminated against. A little bit of tactical lying can save you a lot of trouble.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: One Nation Under God? by Purist(m): 11:42am On Aug 09, 2013
Evil Brain:
What I've found is that when you have a good reputation and people like you, they are more tolerant of your atheism. It also helps if there are enough devoutly religious people around acting like complete åsshöles.

From personal experience, I'll say this is absolutely, 100% correct.
Re: Nigeria: One Nation Under God? by MrTroll(m): 5:25pm On Aug 09, 2013
There's one thing that always gives me personal joy. . .
When i meet a lady newly, we chat, she's impressed, we go out etc. Somewhere along the line THE QUESTION pops up: Which church do you attend? I simply say, None.
At first there's disbelief, then mild shock, then the suspicious looks and comment. . . But after about 2 mins she 'conveniently' forgets my non-religious stance. Nowadays i just anticipate the question and then look out for the reactions. It never fails! cheesy its almost like you can see their brain turning when they finally make the decision to go with the flow. Afterall. . .wink

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria: One Nation Under God? by MrTroll(m): 5:46pm On Aug 09, 2013
On a serious note though, coming out as an atheist or non-religious person can be very relieving. No need for all the hypocrisy and pretenses. Funny enough, it didnt make any difference to my close friends. My boss is also aware of my stance and it caused no tension, at least my work ethic speaks louder than my belief or lack thereof.
The only people that have expressed shock and indignation are mere acquaintances, people i hold no value for. . .
My immediate family is coming around though, all the males are indifferent while the females are still praying and hoping having faith cheesy
Re: Nigeria: One Nation Under God? by orgasticdance: 10:09pm On Aug 09, 2013
Mr Troll: There's one thing that always gives me personal joy. . .
When i meet a lady newly, we chat, she's impressed, we go out etc. Somewhere along the line THE QUESTION pops up: Which church do you attend? I simply say, None.
At first there's disbelief, then mild shock, then the suspicious looks and comment. . . But after about 2 mins she 'conveniently' forgets my non-religious stance. Nowadays i just anticipate the question and then look out for the reactions. It never fails! cheesy its almost like you can see their brain turning when they finally make the decision to go with the flow. Afterall. . .wink
Ahh cheesy I used to lie a lot about this bit. But ur right, the whole religion rap becomes moot and irrelevant after a while. On a serious note though why are there so few female non-believers, even among the riduculously well read and exposed? Good ol' balz
Re: Nigeria: One Nation Under God? by EvilBrain1(m): 10:33pm On Aug 09, 2013
orgasticdance:
Ahh cheesy I used to lie a lot about this bit. But ur right, the whole religion rap becomes moot and irrelevant after a while. On a serious note though why are there so few female non-believers, even among the riduculously well read and exposed? Good ol' balz

Trust me, they exist. A lot of them just go with the flow and follow their friends and families to church/mosque even though they know it's all rubbish. Some like the social aaspect of religion. Others don't believe but don't care enough about religious matters to risk alienating people.

But there are plenty of atheist chicks out there. It's just that it's hard to get them to admit it to you if you're also pretending to be religious.
Re: Nigeria: One Nation Under God? by MrTroll(m): 10:33pm On Aug 09, 2013
orgasticdance:
is it balz? I think it has less to do with courage and more to do with sentiments. Women are more sentimental and getting away from the trap that is organised religion requires a lot of deep rational thinking and some measure of bravery and courage, to dispel that fear of hell!!!cheesy i just think the brain washing sinks deeper into the psyche of the female folks cos they're more emotional and thats what religion is anyway. . . Emotional blackmail.
Re: Nigeria: One Nation Under God? by jayriginal: 10:44pm On Aug 09, 2013
Mr Troll: There's one thing that always gives me personal joy. . .
At first there's disbelief, then mild shock, then the suspicious looks and comment. . .

I almost thought I was Mr Troll then . . .

But after about 2 mins she 'conveniently' forgets my non-religious stance. Nowadays i just anticipate the question and then look out for the reactions. It never fails! cheesy its almost like you can see their brain turning when they finally make the decision to go with the flow. Afterall. . .wink

In my case its never forgotten and the air is now filled with the need to convert me, to show me the light. The same reaction each time. Its irritating.
Re: Nigeria: One Nation Under God? by MrTroll(m): 10:58pm On Aug 09, 2013
jayriginal:

I almost thought I was Mr Troll then . . .

In my case its never forgotten and the air is now filled with the need to convert me, to show me the light. The same reaction each time. Its irritating.
grin Maybe you look guilty while saying it. Just say it like its the most natural thing.
Recently, i met one catholic girl and the question came up after the 3rd date though nothing don happen yet wink after i gave her the answer, she was like "hmmm, that means i'll stop taking to you o" and i'm like "ok." After about 30secs of awkward silence she just started talking again and the rest was history. . .
Don't feel compelled to proffer any explanation whatsoever. Goodluck next timewink
Re: Nigeria: One Nation Under God? by EvilBrain1(m): 11:17pm On Aug 09, 2013
jayriginal:

This is why I can't stand born again chicks. They can be so annoying with their constant preaching and nagging. Most born again guys will leave you alone if you make it clear you're not interested, but some girls just refuse to take the hint.

"But you're such a nice guy, I have to save your soul from hell fire whether you like it or not!" I've had to turn nasty a few times to get some of the crazier ones off my back.
Re: Nigeria: One Nation Under God? by UyiIredia(m): 12:53am On Aug 10, 2013
Purist: The truth is, religion is dying. It's rigidity and stance on certain contemporary issues such as homosexuality is making people have a rethink. In order for religion to survive, it will have to evolve. We're seeing this with Christianity already with the recent statements made by Pope Francis and Desmond Tutu. Islamic violence is also forcing a lot of rational Muslims to think twice about their so-called religion of peace. Just a few days ago, I had a chat with my Iranian flat mate who happens to be an atheist. He considers Islam to be nonsense. He also talked about how many of his friends and many other young people in Iran are ditching Islam by the day. He said I should forget about the fact that his country is officially called "The Islamic Republic of Iran", that the reality is more and more people are becoming atheists, although many still remain in the closet for fear of being "fatwa'd". grin Even clergy men are beginning to denounce religion.

A new study recently predicted that religion will disappear by 2041. Personally, I think it will take much longer. But the signs are already there. We are already witnessing the decline of religion.

Deists like Voltaire and Hobbes said the same in between the 17th and 18 centuries if I recall rightly, yet there is still religion today. Taking into account the differences (especially the presence of the Internet) I say it will take a while for religion to die out in the VERY unlikely event it does. Now if it dies out, I remain fully sure a rennaisance will occur. That's the pattern seen in history.
Re: Nigeria: One Nation Under God? by Kay17: 1:35am On Aug 10, 2013
Theistic religion might die out, probably not religion. Religion is a thought subculture, an ideological driven way of life.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: One Nation Under God? by UyiIredia(m): 1:59am On Aug 10, 2013
Kay 17: Theistic religion might die out, probably not religion. Religion is a thought subculture, an ideological driven way of life.

I concur.
Re: Nigeria: One Nation Under God? by Nobody: 5:36am On Aug 10, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Deists like Voltaire and Hobbes said the same in between the 17th and 18 centuries if I recall rightly, yet there is still religion today. Taking into account the differences (especially the presence of the Internet) I say it will take a while for religion to die out in the VERY unlikely event it does. Now if it dies out, I remain fully sure a rennaisance will occur. That's the pattern seen in history.

That is like saying that if typewriters die out giving chance to computers, there will be a renaissance.

Religion (Abrahamic ones especially) is an obsolete way of thinking about the universe and morality. Once left, there is no going back
Re: Nigeria: One Nation Under God? by Nobody: 5:54am On Aug 10, 2013
Logicboy03:

That is like saying that if typewriters die out giving chance to computers, there will be a renaissance.

Religion (Abrahamic ones especially) is an obsolete way of thinking about the universe and morality. Once left, there is no going back
There'll be. Nature operates in cycles. The religious call it revivals. They'll be a minority again and a few may try to fight back once again. As long as man remains ignorant, the God idea will always be present.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Healing And Deliverance On Nairaland By The Power Of God In The Name Of Jesus / Satanic Pastors/Imams Amongst The Aku (aka Ọmọ Oduduwa) By Feyisetan Opeyemi / Where To Download Powerful Christian Messages?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.