Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,455 members, 7,801,125 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:13 AM

The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water (67312 Views)

Energy Drinks Cause High Blood Pressure, Doctor Warns / Mixing Alcohol With Energy Drinks Can Raise Risk Of Heart Problems / American Soda And Nigerian Soft Drinks(coke, Fanta, Ect), Which Has More Sugar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by biafranqueen: 6:04am On Aug 09, 2013
When ever you visit someones house the first thing they offer you is soda/mineral water. These drinks are harmful to your health and researhers have linked them to Kidney problems. These sugary drinks also contribute to diabetes/sugar disease. Every single person I know that has diabetes or kidney problems consumed these drinks daily. On top of soda some even consume beer and other alcoholic beverages which further strains your kidney. I was astonished on seeing the amount of sugar people put in tea and pap All of these take a toll on your body. Please eat to live not live to eat!

Back to soda and energy drinks I have pointed out dangers and added credible articles below:

Type 2 Diabetes
Owing to the presence of large amounts of sugar, soda pop beverages and energy drinks are capable of increasing the risk of developing type 2 diabetes in individuals. Since obesity and diabetes are related to each other, obese people consuming soft drinks on a daily basis are susceptible to develop insulin resistance. When a can of soft drink is consumed, sugar is directly poured into the blood stream and the pancreas has to produce more insulin to metabolize the sugars. Long-term consumption reduces the insulin-producing capacity of the pancreas, thus disrupting the regulation of sugars in the body, ultimately leading to diabetes.

Kidney Problems
Studies suggest that consumption of soda pop also leads to the development of kidney problems like reduced kidney function and kidney stones. Researchers inferred that women who drank more than 2 cans of diet soda everyday had reduced kidney function over a time span of 20 years, which was thrice the rate of reduction in women who did not consume it. Formation of kidney stones is triggered by the depletion of calcium from bones, leading to the formation of calcium stones in the kidneys.

Cardiovascular Problems
Obese and diabetic individuals who do not control the intake of soda pop are highly susceptible to develop cardiac problems like high blood pressure, arrhythmia s, and other vascular problems. Studies have also revealed that people who consumed only one can of diet soda per day had 20 percent increased risk of suffering a heart attack over a time span of 22 years. This shows that heart problems are not particular to sweeten or diet soda pop, and can occur with excessive intake of any of these.

Caffeine Addiction
Caffeine, being a mild stimulant, brings about a feeling of well-being when consumed. Since it is a component of soda pop, people consume significant quantities of it when they drink 3-4 cans of the beverage every day. Daily consumption of soda develops into an addiction due to caffeine's mild addictive nature, and people start suffering from withdrawal symptoms like headache, irritation, etc., when the daily dose is not consumed.

Occasional consumption of soda pop, in moderation, may not pose any health risk. However, the extent to which people have started consuming these beverages nowadays is a big reason to worry. Youngsters fall for soda pop due to its great taste, but unknowingly drag themselves towards several health problems. Awareness of these dangers must be spread to people all over, and sessions must be held to teach people how to stop drinking soda pop. Few measures like drinking water or other substitutes, like iced tea, juice or flavored water frequently, will curb the desire to drink soda pop and take a person towards the healthy path of life.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/18/health/jampolis-dangers-drinking-soda
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2181290/Having-seen-evidence-I-dont-touch-fizzy-drinks-Frankly-theyre-evil.html
http://www.kidneyfailureweb.com/kidney-failure-diet/167.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/25/health-risks-energy-drinks_n_2009529.html

22 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by Okimski(m): 6:56am On Aug 09, 2013
One day one of these companies will charge you to court for discouraging its consumers. Everyday we see different articles of don't take this, don't take that. Yet there is also implications of not consuming sugar at all in the body. The advise should be don't take it often. If we don't take it who will?

27 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by psucc(m): 7:03am On Aug 09, 2013
Hmm! I drimk am 4 mineral, i say e no good 4 my budy, i drink am 4 ogogoro, kai na wahala, i try am 4 bier, walaih, viry bad, wetin i want mak i dirink. Ba kudi 4 wine.

50 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by Rooneyboy(m): 7:21am On Aug 09, 2013
Nice write up dear, indeed, the rate @ which people consume these drinks is so frightening.

My twin bro and elder sis are total addicts,(taking @least a bottle of coke each time they have a meal)
I don't know how to talk them into coming out of this deadly habit.

.......Why I'm even more frightened is because diabetes challenges runs in the family.

6 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by Nobody: 11:41am On Aug 09, 2013
Deleted
Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by demmy55(m): 2:42pm On Aug 09, 2013
I'll try to reduce my soda intake to 1bottle every 2days. Hope that will help.

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by WANICEDUDE: 4:07pm On Aug 09, 2013
Dancing o ijo baba sina rambo. I dey first ten today. Mo sope mi baba
Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by mesther96(f): 4:09pm On Aug 09, 2013
what shd we drink then water no sweet nasad

4 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by iamswizz(m): 4:09pm On Aug 09, 2013
Soft drinks bad, soda bad, Alchohol bad,

Na Urine una want make we dey drink?

7 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by free2ryhme: 4:10pm On Aug 09, 2013
we will start taken horse piss

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by emmanuel4758(m): 4:10pm On Aug 09, 2013
okey na mod u wan make we dey drink yoyo bitter ehh ebi like say dem pay u to post dis crap
Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by ACM10: 4:11pm On Aug 09, 2013
Learnt that some imported energy drinks in Nigeria now contains morphine. People should be mindful of the energy drink they consume, especially the ones offered freely by strangers at the gym. Morpine addiction is terrible.

2 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by Blessmira: 4:12pm On Aug 09, 2013
Drink responsibly. Dats all! smiley

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by jaymichael(m): 4:12pm On Aug 09, 2013
palmwine nko? that one too bad?

3 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by WANICEDUDE: 4:13pm On Aug 09, 2013
So make i dey drink agbo jedi. Abeg free me. Ño drink diz no drink dat. Which one u want make we drink. Fimile jo

2 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by emmanuel4758(m): 4:13pm On Aug 09, 2013
since soft drink no gud again let port or swap to hard drink...
Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by Nobody: 4:13pm On Aug 09, 2013
Noted! anytime i have a visitors in my house, I'll simply offer them water. shikena!

5 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by djeezy(m): 4:14pm On Aug 09, 2013
Ok
Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by dabrake(m): 4:14pm On Aug 09, 2013
Alomo to the rescue.

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by Nobody: 4:15pm On Aug 09, 2013
These days, water does it for me. No need for gaseous substances in my system henceforth.

I even discovered that foods with preservatives are generally dangerous. Fresh and unadulterated foods/meats (chickens, not in cans, but live ones. And even meats) no beef too....

Even instant rumens (noodles) i.e indomie are dangerous to health too... I also learnt they cause cancer and kidney disease too, cos of the percentage of sodium and other harmful chemicals in em

5 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by Joe50(m): 4:15pm On Aug 09, 2013
i dont even like minerals, cos anytime i take it my stomach boils.

i take also alot of water cos is healthier than those junks.

2 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by MrExcel1: 4:15pm On Aug 09, 2013
Taking soda or carbonated drinks isn't the issue, but excessively consuming it in lieu of water is what's dangerous. When my father was young, he used to drink soda when eating, like he drinks several cans daily x 7days a week, at least so he told us, after years of neglecting instructions, today his medical condition is bad. Now he doesn't eat/drink sugary items, no more sugar intake even when having coffee/tea. As in, I pity him more than I blame him.
Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by timilehin007(m): 4:16pm On Aug 09, 2013
Alomo ati ogidiga nko?

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by Lilimax(f): 4:17pm On Aug 09, 2013
iamswizz: Soft drinks bad, soda bad, Alchohol bad,

Na Urine una want make we dey drink?
Take water instead of soft drink; it is more healthy.

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by ignis: 4:17pm On Aug 09, 2013
Water, the natural liquid does it for me.

Singing in Fela's voice - water e no get enemy.

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by Nobody: 4:17pm On Aug 09, 2013
Pleasse i need any workin cheat on my mtn......my3gig has stop.....opps......
grin grin grin :omy eyes dey chok shocked
Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by phil5(m): 4:18pm On Aug 09, 2013
Infact almost all factory consumables are hamfull in one way or de oda , nw na bunch of atificials we dey consume

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by adtiezy1(m): 4:21pm On Aug 09, 2013
zipping my bottle water..breaks farouz bottle on the floor ..thanks for the info.. you a life saver cool

2 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by olivvvia: 4:21pm On Aug 09, 2013
[b][/b]Eat to live not live to eat

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by ACM10: 4:21pm On Aug 09, 2013
Rooneyboy: Nice write up dear, indeed, the rate @ which people consume these drinks is so frightening.

My twin bro and elder sis are total addicts,(taking @least a bottle of coke each time they have a meal)
I don't know how to talk them into coming out of this deadly habit.

.......Why I'm even more frightened is because diabetes challenges runs in the family.

I used to be a coke addict when I was in the university, owing to the fact that meals we were served at the canteen was terrible. So I resorted to cokes and other soft drinks to improve the palatability of the meals. I thought I was hooked, but I dropped the habit without knowing when I did that. I think that I achieved that feat when I started to consume delicious meals.
Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by greatgod2012(f): 4:22pm On Aug 09, 2013
WATER still remain the best and most healthy drink to take anytime, anywhere.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Pastor Prosper Obum Igboke Commits Suicide, Jumps Down Storey-Building / Panic As Nigerian Lady Leaves Suicidal Notes On Facebook / I Got Bitten By A Non-Venomous Snake Today (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.