Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,732 members, 7,802,211 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:04 AM

Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit (19455 Views)

Satellites Glimpse Ultra-powerful “black Hole” Whirlpools In Atlantic / Bright Explosion On Moon Visible From Earth, NASA Says / Cosmic Rays Entering Earth From Mars 2nite.pls Switch Off Ur Fone Tonight! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by solomon111(m): 3:54pm On Aug 12, 2013
badbros: ohhhhh I see.
they fly to the moon but they can't find food for the starving
it's a huge source of foreign exchange.
Btw,india has more starving people than the whole of Africa,yet they are planning to go to Mars this year.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by Nobody: 3:54pm On Aug 12, 2013

Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by k2039: 3:54pm On Aug 12, 2013
What a waste!!!!!!!!
Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by Nobody: 3:58pm On Aug 12, 2013
In 2005 NigeriaSat-1 was the first satellite to send back pictures of the east coast of the US following Hurricane Katrina, says Nice. And the orbiter contributed images to aid workers following the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami. Nigeria provides disaster-related imagery for free, but the country generates income from the satellites by selling other image data.

Interesting.

Anyone know how much?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by FOLYKAZE(m): 3:58pm On Aug 12, 2013
How does this reduce heavy cost of browsing?
Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by Nuzo1(m): 3:59pm On Aug 12, 2013
adeaugustus: Now they are scared of what the country might use her technology knowledge and resources for in the nearest future.

They are not scared. They know Nigeria and Nigerians too well.
They only became bold enough to charge their government to stop the foreign aid if Nigeria doesn't know how to utilize it.

Matter of fact, the British politicians are speaking on your behalf....since you do not know that the Nigerian sattelites are white elephant projects.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by Asemo11(m): 4:03pm On Aug 12, 2013
ProminentStar: all I asked for was ur help and since u couldn't do that u should have kept mute.
no mind am no no wan kill am
Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by jobgetter(m): 4:15pm On Aug 12, 2013
ProminentStar: I just joined nairaland. please how do I comment on threads?
The way you made this comment is the how

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by ayobase(m): 4:24pm On Aug 12, 2013
Sagytarius°:
Why use satellite to collect date when Calenders full for market?
Even my nokia touch knows the time and date even without mtn network.
Make I hear word o jare.
Satelite ko. Dish ni.

PS. I nor read that long article sha. So nor crucify me. cheesy

I didn't even read it as "date" , but "data". It is a mistake from the OP!
Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by Nobody: 4:28pm On Aug 12, 2013
What is wrong with these mods and OP. Its data not date.
If person yab una nw, na ban
Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by Opeyemibayonle(m): 4:33pm On Aug 12, 2013
Advancement in technology ..... My great nation, l love you...
Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by riloxy(m): 4:34pm On Aug 12, 2013
Why can't we use these satellites to track the movements of Boko Harams and other terrorist groups? [size=8pt][/size]

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by DisGuy: 4:42pm On Aug 12, 2013
adeaugustus: Now they are scared of what the country might use her technology knowledge and resources for in the nearest future.

UH

they built it for us, launched it for us, controll it for us, what is there to be scared of? it's not like we know what to do with the data sef!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by Aedesmuskeeto: 4:49pm On Aug 12, 2013
you already did nigga,,
happy?? Good.
You can now excuse yourself to the zoo...
Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by Kenny4lyfe(m): 4:55pm On Aug 12, 2013
What does my date with Omotola has to do with Satellite data? @OP correct your anomaly abeg!
Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by searay(m): 5:09pm On Aug 12, 2013
I don hear.
Please which of the satellite will help us monitor corruption in Nigeria? Yes na you i ask

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by elrony(m): 5:58pm On Aug 12, 2013
Lol NIGERIA wey launch satellite forget code!!!..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by Donsammi(m): 6:17pm On Aug 12, 2013
E suppose to be DATA ... not date abi jambite brinq topic enta FP?
Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by Horus(m): 6:19pm On Aug 12, 2013

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by GeneralJ(m): 6:24pm On Aug 12, 2013
its DataNot date
Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by Horus(m): 6:32pm On Aug 12, 2013
[img]http://www.sstl.co.uk/getattachment/3183e417-7afa-4799-b897-4a2818626369/Nigerian-KHTTS-wtih-N2?width=800[/img]

Nigerian engineers with NigeriaSat-2 in SSTL's cleanrooms (Credit SSTL)

[img]http://www.sstl.co.uk/getattachment/c4c4b9cd-3905-46f8-b223-9933e8ee1dac/Nigerian-engineers-with-N2?width=800[/img]

Nigerian engineers with NigeriaSat-2 in SSTL's cleanrooms (Credit: SSTL)

[img]http://www.sstl.co.uk/getattachment/d99f365f-b598-47b0-9eb4-a94c8924d917/NigeriaSat-2[/img]

NigeriaSat-2. (Credit SSTL)

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by deols(f): 6:35pm On Aug 12, 2013
bright007: the last time i checked...
browsing the net and buying internet data remains very expensive in Nigeria compared to other countries with or without satelite in space.

This is exactly what came to my mind. We pay exorbitant fees for(poor) internet service even though the satellite is ours

just like we pay so much to power our generators despite having oil wells

Despite having kainji and so much rainfall(that even get to cause erosion and flooding), we cannot have regular power supply.

Sunrays are wasting when solar technology is booming elsewhere.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by Horus(m): 6:45pm On Aug 12, 2013
[img]http://www.sstl.co.uk/getattachment/8297465b-60f3-44d7-a18e-7f493ae00d20/N2-closeup[/img]

Close-up of NigeriaSat-2 showing Antenna Pointing Mechanisms and both imagers

[img]http://www.sstl.co.uk/getattachment/d575c7e3-a56f-46f9-8208-85117efd296d/N2-inside_009[/img]

NigeriaSat-2 with solar panel off showing proplusion tanks

[img]http://www.sstl.co.uk/getattachment/91313b45-e5dd-4809-bf35-b27e5de3e36a/DM000264VI_PSH_Maiduguri_Nigeria_Airport_PED[/img]

NigeriaSat-2 pan-sharpened colour image of Maiduguri Airport, Nigeria at 2.5m resolution (Credit: NASRDA 2012)

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by ceejay80s(m): 6:46pm On Aug 12, 2013
Dnt even know why i waste 10kb data take open dis thread sef
Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by ono(m): 6:51pm On Aug 12, 2013
Well done Horus.

Perhaps GEJ is doing something afterall. But the men at the grassroot (the vast majority of the people of the land) need to feed well to understand all these space stuff.
Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by Litmus: 7:01pm On Aug 12, 2013
Horus: [img]http://www.sstl.co.uk/getattachment/8297465b-60f3-44d7-a18e-7f493ae00d20/N2-closeup[/img]

Close-up of NigeriaSat-2 showing Antenna Pointing Mechanisms and both imagers

[img]http://www.sstl.co.uk/getattachment/d575c7e3-a56f-46f9-8208-85117efd296d/N2-inside_009[/img]

NigeriaSat-2 with solar panel off showing proplusion tanks

[img]http://www.sstl.co.uk/getattachment/91313b45-e5dd-4809-bf35-b27e5de3e36a/DM000264VI_PSH_Maiduguri_Nigeria_Airport_PED[/img]

NigeriaSat-2 pan-sharpened colour image of Maiduguri Airport, Nigeria at 2.5m resolution (Credit: NASRDA 2012)

We need now a 100% homegrown one.

We should also build for ourselves of have built for us a large observatory somewhere in that their modest facilities in Abuja. The aim being to give the place a spacey feel and to facilitate interest among young Nigerians (school trips, and primary school projects and all that).

http://www.asdnews.com/data_news/ID44776_600.jpg

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by Koolmexxi(m): 7:02pm On Aug 12, 2013
I can't help but laff. Using satellite to monitor fud production blah blah? D people r hungry yet dem dey waste money for stupid nd irrelevant space programs. And dis is coming frm a country dat cannot even refine it's oil. ** Walks away**
Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by hunter21(m): 7:12pm On Aug 12, 2013
Point of correction, Nigerian engineers assisted in building nigeriasat-2 and INDEPENDENTLY built nigeriasat-x.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by Horus(m): 7:45pm On Aug 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzKKJbmr9EU

Nigeria's NigcomSat 1R satellite launch
Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by Nobody: 7:52pm On Aug 12, 2013
That's wat I call progress. I could remember an interesting course we took in my final year (Remote sensing and Photogeology), I nor too understand am well sha but d importance of Our Satelite cannot be over emphasized if only those in d nasrda could utilize the importance of this satellites imagery cos with this satelites, we can delineate flood plains, detect movements of arms, monitor relative changes in the country and carry out mineral explorations. Although the satellite needs improvements in terms of spartial, spectral resolution

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by steveec122(m): 7:54pm On Aug 12, 2013
What did u just do. I think am replying to your comment.

Please how can I reply to comments?
Re: Nigeria Uses Its Satellites To Collect Data From Earth Orbit by Nobody: 7:54pm On Aug 12, 2013
u just did.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Etisalat Facebook,twitter,whatsapp,social Network Subscription Codes / Daughter's iPad Charger Explodes As Father Tries To Unplug It / Amazing Six-Legged Robot Expertly Skis Down A Slope In China (Video & Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.