Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,131 members, 7,807,429 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:22 PM

Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia (14121 Views)

Dr. Ifeanyi Ubah Joins Rotary International To Support Humanity (photos) / Human Rights Abuse: Ihejirika Replies Amnesty Internationa / Fashola Replies Peter Obi Over Alleged Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by iresearcher(m): 1:08pm On Aug 13, 2013
Amanwulu1: they make noise out of notin, eh!! U wnt us to use our brain right bt U're free to reason wt ur anus wen d same organisatn indicts pdp led fg. We knw u all haters of nig. Progress.

Or what it PDP secretariat that was demolished? cos I am no longer getting the gist. What has PDP to do with this
Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by deeptesting(m): 1:10pm On Aug 13, 2013
iresearcher:

I really wish you could just argue without politics, religion or ethnicity, I am out.

WTF! are you doing in a political forum....if you can't stand the heat then get out of the kitchen.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by olatiler(m): 1:10pm On Aug 13, 2013
naija_swag: They said he is the most admired governor, they all believed.
With a single action, he pulled the rug off his feet to reveal the dirt hidden in the rug.
He is being heckled from all sides. Not only his countrymen but the international community have reminded him of what a Holy Man said some 2000 years ago that "you will always have the poor among you"
He did it to himself, it was not an anti-party gang up. The spiral effect of his singular action has destroyed some people's political ambition somewhere in the SE. He cannot even venture that zone because he will be deported on arrival, maybe he will never campaign there when he hopes to run for presidency.
He forgot the fundamentals of being a public figure.
The over 90% of poor people in this country now regard him as their enemy because he will not fail to displace them if he has his way in other to build mega cities.
If he becomes president, he will banish everyone who does not have a job, everyone who is poor to the countryside so he could build mega cities.
In Fact he hates national integration.
You drop this trash 1st, 2nd, 3rd till 4th times but nobody Quote ur Idiocity but now I do, hope u are now okay

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by Nobody: 1:11pm On Aug 13, 2013
Lagos is no refugee camp. I feel the pains of the unfortunate lot who have turned the inhospitable waste lands of Badia into permananent residences. They wished a better life for themselves but are neck deep in abject destitution. However, there are other alternatives they can explore in pursuit of appropriate accomodation. Their respective states of origin is a good idea... the FCT also is a veritable option.
Take it or leave it, sacrifice is the price for development. It is their turn today, maybe mine tomorrow. Whatever it is, we would pay the price to make Lagos the city we would be proud of.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by naptu2: 1:13pm On Aug 13, 2013
naptu2: Now I'm going to give you links, stories, pictures, etc (if the anti-spam bot doesn't ban me), but before that I'm going to give you some background.

I believe that Fashola came to complete what Jakande started. Many of Fashola's policies are not really new, but he is returning Lagos to what it was in the 1950s and also completing or improving what Jakande started in the 1980s (I also have to admit that some of the projects were started during Tinubu's administration). (I'm smiling right now because I remember that my family were staunchly opposed to Jakande's education policies).

Lagos HOMS: Jakande (well, Lagos State Development and Property Corporation [LSDPC) built the famous Jakande low cost houses and offered them for sale to Lagosians. The key to the success of this scheme was mortgages. You pay a small initial deposit and pay the rest over the next twenty or thirty years. This made it affordable to the average Lagosian. However, there was a flaw in that model and Fashola has thought of a way to address that flaw. Multi-millionaires bought a lot of the flats and resold them at higher rates. I know one such man who still has several flats in several low cost estates in Lagos.

With Lagos HOMS you must swear an affidavit that you do not own any other house in Lagos and you are not allowed to let out the flat (that is, you must be the one occupying the flat) for the 20 or so years it will take you to pay off the mortgage.

There are also several other programmes and policies that I will post here tonight (if sleep doesn't take me away), including the skills acquisition centres, the Lagos Micro-Finance Institution, Kaiyero and other markets, Isale-Gangan urban renewal (I'll even show you pics of Isale-Gangan in the 1950s and 90s), the Destitute's Home, etc.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by R3dsp3ar(m): 1:14pm On Aug 13, 2013
Nigeria government is only promoting bad thing, civil servant #18,500 per/month, youth copper #19,500 per/month, militant #75,000 per/month, now boko haram #100,000 per/month + house, lol naija but una dey crazy sha

I wan come up with group now too o hmmmm Osusu Democratic killers (ODK)
If are in support of my idea continue to kiss the like and u fit quote me wrong or right, don't send
Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by naijaswag1: 1:17pm On Aug 13, 2013
olatiler:
You drop this trash 1st, 2nd, 3rd till 4th times but nobody Quote ur Idiocity but now I do, hope u are now okay

I didn't post it for a low life like you or anyone to quote. I see you are very vexed about it. You can jump into the lagoon. This is reality. You shoot yourself in the foot and you bear the pains.
Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by naptu2: 1:18pm On Aug 13, 2013
[size=14pt]Lagos HOMS: 2,624 Houses Ready For Allocation[/size] by melojames: 1:04pm On Apr 17

melojames: The Lagos State Government will soon allocate 2,624 housing units to beneficiaries under its Home Ownership Mortgage Scheme.

Many of the houses have been completed and inaugurated by Governor Babatunde Fashola, while others are at different stages of completion, according to the Commissioner for Housing, Mr. Bosun Jeje.

Jeje, who disclosed this at the Housing ministry’s yearly ministerial press briefing in Ikeja on Friday, said the implementing agencies were his ministry, the Lagos State Development and Property Corporation, New Town Development Authority and Ministry of Physical Planning and Urban Development.

According to the commissioner, there are 264 flats in 22 blocks at the Igbogbo 2B scheme built by the Housing ministry; 144 units at Shogunro 1 and 96 units at Shogunro 2, as well as 36 units at Shitta, all developed by LSDPC.

He said NTDA delivered 492 units in Igando; 844 units in Omole 2; 48 units in Magodo 2; 96 units in Lekki 1; and 84 units in Lekki 2.

Others by NTDA are 540 special units in Sangotedo; 120 units in Ilupeju and 60 units in Mushin; while the Ministry of Physical Planning and Urban Development delivered 560 units in Odo-Onasa, Agbowa.

Jeje said the delay in allocating the houses to interested members of the public was to ensure that the government made available more units, adding that it would be wise to have a sufficient number on ground before the scheme would fully take off.

According to him, government wants to avoid a situation where demand will be greater than supply and mess up the scheme.

“But government is not unmindful of the desire by our people to benefit from the scheme. Any moment from now, we will let the public know the procedure that they will take,” he said.

The commissioner also called on owners of properties demolished in Ijora Badia who were in possession of legitimate documents to come forward for possible discussion on compensation.

Responding to the allegation of “selective settlement” of affected land owners in Ijora, Jeje said so far, only the Ojora family had been able to produce the title document to the land and urged those in possession of the required documents to forward them to the ministry for discussion, instead of blackmailing the government.

“I am saying it here categorically that so far, only the Ojora family has been able to produce any document. So, I am appealing to those who are in possession of land documents to come forward for discussion,” he said.

He also reiterated the government’s decision to give owners of illegal structures demolished in the state the offer of first refusal on its housing schemes in their areas in their areas whenever such were completed.

SOURCE: http://www.punchng.com/business/homes-property/lagos-homs-2624-houses-ready-for-allocation/

https://www.nairaland.com/1260588/lagos-homs-2624-houses-ready

1 Like

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by Guk: 1:20pm On Aug 13, 2013
deeptesting: Hahahahaha what a funny and lame response from LASG...Now the question is if you have not rendered these people homeless and jobless where are they going to live while going about their daily activity that will put food down on the table for their families before the construction of better roads, health care center etc . After turning this slums to mega rich estate is it this same slum dwellers that will have access to the facilities you have mentioned? Fashola should visit Lateef Jakande to borrow a leaf from him on how to build government houses for the poor and not government houses for the rich....Your policies are Anti-poor period.

(1) There is nothing to learn from Jakande Low cost houses. They are all collapsing 30 years after. Go to Jakande on lekki Expressway. Go to Adeniji Adele; Go to Isolo and Iponri low cost and you will see the evidence of bad projects by Jakande.

(2) It is not Lagos State Govt's business where they are going to live or when has it been LASG's business where you have chosen to live? Govts all over the world have housing scheme for subscribers whether poor or rich and if you qualify, you are allocated one but are Nigerians willing to meet the requirements of qualification? as we always feel we are smart and seek to circumvent the laws.

(3) It is only a WICKED person that will say Badia should not be cleared out. I have been involved with an NGO that raised money for kids living in a place called Dustbin Village where people were living on dumpsites. Is it your wish for someone to keep living there? why dont you exchange your own comfort and go live there. Same for Makoko where i have also gone to help young children there too

(4)

1 Like

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by malc619(m): 1:20pm On Aug 13, 2013
GboyegaD:

He could have built an apt complex on virgin lands around Iba etc where there are lands and then relocate them. The idea of displacing them without providing an alternative is mean.

So Fashola should start giving them free accommodation as a reward for illegal occupation of land that isn't theirs abi??

Nice reward for illegality because they're poor....

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by iresearcher(m): 1:20pm On Aug 13, 2013
deeptesting:

WTF! are you doing in a political forum....if you can't stand the heat then get out of the kitchen.

You are a baby.Learn to use your God given senses. In all my conversation, I have not used any wrong words but
its obvious that when touts like you are given internet and a PII system, you ll start misbehaving.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by naptu2: 1:21pm On Aug 13, 2013
[size=14pt]Lagos Home Ownership Scheme (Lagos H.O.M. S)[/size]

THE LAGOS HOMS

It has been identified that the greatest obstacle to achieving the goal of housing for all is the absence of enduring mortgage system.

Provision of Accommodation is by nature capital intensive and affordability implies that for low and medium income earners to be able to buy houses, there must be in place a mortgage finance system and one of the major challenges that impedes home ownership in Nigeria is the inadequacy of the mortgage sector.

Faced with the ever increasing need to provide adequate accommodation for the citizenry, the State Government reaches the need to assist the citizenry in meeting their shelter aspiration as well as facilitate the creation of long term and sustainable wealth.

Lagos HOMS, a home ownership scheme that affords first time home buyers who are resident in Lagos State the opportunity to own their homes.

FEATURES OF THE SCHEME

·        Tenor minimum of 10 years and maximum of 20 years.

·        Facility Amount. This will be subject to the 70% balance of the cost of the type of Houses purchased.

·        Equity Contribution: Applicant would be required to make a minimum equity contribution of 30% value of the property he/she intends to buy.

·        Pricing

-Interest rate 6%

-Fee N10,000 (Civil Servant)

-Admin. Charges N25,000 (Others)

-No other charge

·        Repayment

-Equal periodic principal repayment. Interest to be paid on reducing balance or

-Equal monthly installment of both principal and interest.

·        Security

Deed of  Mortgage over the property to be acquired.

MODE OF OPERATION FOR THE SCHEME

·        Interested Applicants must obtain a form from Ministry of Housing or download form from the Lagos State Government website (www.lagosstate.gov.ng).

·        Applicants should fill the form and submit to Ministry of Housing accompanied with payment of N1,000 for the Application Form.

·        Applicants who have submitted his/her application forms will be directed to any of the three receiving banks for pre-qualification.

·        All Applicants pre-qualified and recommended by any of the receiving Banks will be issued with Letter of Offer.

·        Applicants are expected to pay the 30% equity contribution to any of the three collaborating banks.

·        Applicants to submit proof of payment and an acceptance Letter to Ministry of Housing.

·        Ministry of Housing refers documents to Ministry of Justice to prepare and execute Contract of Sales and Deed of Mortgage Agreements.

·        Housing releases Letter of Confirmation of Allocation and keys to successful Applicants.

CONDITIONS/ELIGIBILITY FOR QUALIFYING FOR THE MORTGAGE SCHEME

-          Applicant must reside in Lagos

-          Applicant must be under 60 years of age.

-          Applicant must have a verifiable means of income.

-          Applicants should be credit worthy.

-          Successful Applicants are expected to pay 30% of the value of the house they intend to purchase.

-          Houses purchased under the scheme must be occupied by the beneficiary and cannot be transferred or rented out until all obligations has been fulfilled

-          Beneficiaries are to pay 6% interest rate on the mortgage loan.

-          Applicants must have been working for his/her current employer for at least six months (and must be so confirmed by employer).

-          Applicants must be first time Home Buyers.                               

FINDING

The Lagos HOMS is a mortgage scheme that is completely funded by the Lagos State Government.  Apart from providing the pool of Houses, Government also provide the funds for the mortgage facility being granted.

GLOBAL TERM SHEET FOR LAGOS HOME OWNERSHIP AND MORTGAGE SCHEME

Background:- This term sheet tends to provide a standardization for administering the Lagos State Home Ownership and Mortgage Scheme to all residents of Lagos State. Though priority will be given to Civil Servants in Lagos State Ministries and Parastatals, the target market is all residents of the state (irrespective of tribe), that is Lagosians. The purpose of the scheme is to encourage first time home buyers with verifiable source of income to own their own houses.  To administer this scheme for LASG, three banks have been nominated; FBN Mortgages, Skye Mortgages and Zenith Bank Plc.

Definition of Risk Acceptance Criteria: For the purpose of this term sheet, the table below spells out the risk acceptance criteria for effective administration of the scheme which will be adopted by the participating banks involved.

Risk Acceptance Criteria

Pre – Qualification /Screening Process:

1.     Lagos State Government will first pre-qualify the intending beneficiary who must a first time home owner in Lagos State and  the claim of first time home ownership must be administered under an Oath.

2.     The pre-qualified individual must open an individual current account with Bank. The account will serve for both the purpose of paying 30% equity contribution and also for monthly repayment.

3.     The beneficiary will submit hisher allocation paper from LASG to the bank along with request letter and apply for a mortgage scheme under Lagos State Home Ownership Mortgage Scheme.

4.     Upon meeting the Risk Acceptance Criteria tabulated above, approval will be conveyed via an offer letter and monthly repayment schedule communicated to the beneficiary.

5.     For proof of affordability, salary earners are to submit pay slips for the past 6 months and salary account statement for the past one year while self employed would submit company profile, three years audited account statement and businesspersonal account statement for the past 12 months.

6.     Monthly repayment as stated in the repayment schedule commences as soon as offer is accepted and condition precedent to commencement of monthly repayment is met.

7.      Bank will communicate acceptance and approval to LASG for release of Keys to the beneficiary to take possession.

8.     Update on monthly repayment will be given to LASG on monthly basis.

9.     A dedicated account will be opened which will warehouse all monthly payment from the buyers which would have joint signatories from the Ministry of Housing $ Ministry of Finance.

Event of Default

This occurs:

1.      If the beneficiary fails to make repayments for three consecutive times.

2.      If repayment has not been regular and there been defaults at three different times which in the opinion of the banker has raised doubt on the ability of the beneficiary to continue with the repayment, such issues will be reported to LASG who will take steps towards foreclosure.

Foreclosure of Security:

The interest on the properties resides with Lagos State Government, hence the right to foreclose lies with them.

MonitoringTracking of Repayment:

This shall be the joint responsibilities of LASG and Bank. Bank on a monthly basis will be updating LASG on the repayment update that shall aggressively follow up with any loan defaulters for regularization.

Accelerated Repayment:

This shall be allowed so far 90 days notice is given which shall also be communicated to LASG.

http://www.lagosstate.gov.ng/pagemenus.php?p=106&k=29

1 Like

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by moodswing(m): 1:21pm On Aug 13, 2013
malc619:

Poverty isn't an excuse for lawlessness. Being poor doesn't give you the right to live under Oshodi bridge, shyte in the gutter and procreate in bus-stops!!

If Lagos is too hard for you to survive move back to your village!!

Abi dem bury their placenta for Lagos

Why do people prefer to live like pigs and goats in Lagos when they can afford a decent living in their villages??

cool

Usually I don't reply your kind of ignorant comments. But for the the benefit of those reading this thread, I wish to educate you a little.

Homelessness is not a crime. Neither, it's a social issue.

Travel the world and you would find homeless people everywhere. the difference is usually the action government take towards these people who are also legitimate members of the society.

In the US there are some U.S. federal programs that are designed to help end and prevent homelessness. Whereby these programs fail to end homelessness, alternate programs are usually in place to to manage it.

One of these programs include emergency shelters and transitional housing programes. While these programes take in two-third of the total US homeless, the remaining live in abandoned buildings or other areas not meant for human habitation.

Even though US government's "homeless assistance programs" does not provide shelter and other basic necessities of life to "ALL" of it's homeless citizens, it does not seek to flush them off the society either. Or take them off their inhabitable homes without providing alternative shelter.

The Lagos state government has not lived up to it's responsibility. It's morally wrong to render people homeless without providing an alternative. The LASG may not be duty bound to provide permanent homes for them, but a temporal shelter should suffice and basic assistance is very much what any "responsible" govt would undertake.

And for your information, the highest number of people who live on the streets, under the bridges and the shanties are predominantly, Yoruba's And the igbos. They are Lagosians too.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by naptu2: 1:23pm On Aug 13, 2013
Some of the flats and houses that are available under the Lagos HOMS.

[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/1218738_homs_jpg6515c59ef552b6afeb10269135ee81b0[/img]
Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by olufajy(m): 1:28pm On Aug 13, 2013
moodswing:

Wise man make I tell you...

The government has a binding social contract with it's citizens. This contract contains certain duties and responsibilities of the government. And one of the duties of the government is to "provide" for it's citizens. Both the rich an the poor.

The govement builds infrastructures like hospitals, roads, schools etc. and majority of these infrastructures are cited in the urban areas. Now how does a poor man who resides in the rural area with no access to these roads, schools and hospitals benefit from the government which he also has as much tights to as those living in the cities?

In a democracy, the government derives it's powers from the citizens, which invariably means that the citizens are sovereign.

It's is a breach of this social contract for the government to render it's citizens homeless instead of doing otherwise.

Lagosians are not only those who can afford houses but also those who can't and the government have a moral obligation to satisfy these people in different social statuses.

So you're argument is weak and of no substance.

Only an irresponsible government t renders it's citizens homeless in the name of development.
When you talk of social contract, I was elated within me that somebody knows what's going on but reading further, I see that your argument is plausible. A question to you is that: if you're the governor, you will be happy that your citizens lives in slums? Are those places for suitable habitation? Can you live their? Out of governments desire to fulfil its part of the contract, it choses to build houses which at the long run, the less privileged will have a descent roof over their head.
I was even thinking you will say the governor should hasten the building so that the sufferings of these people can be abated in time or that you will advise that rents should be cheap and if government will sell, it should not be above the poor man's reach. Or do you think its impossible to be the landlord of a room after paying its mortgage over years? It is possible. We've seen it happen elsewhere, it can happen here.
Now to those claiming Fashola is anti-poor, I don't see it that way. We have been so used to people coming to us to promise us and flag up housing units schemes on television broadcast to every part of the world whereas the policy terminates immediately such leave us. Its time we start accepting the reality of this government to be that of action rather than talking.
It will be great if the various governors can emulate lagos than just embezzling the state treasury. It is when government have foresight and implement such in reality that government fulfils its own end of the social contract, failure to fulfil such renders such government useless. As far as Fashola government is concerned, HE is fulfiling his end of the social contract. The other end of the social contract is not only in voting, it is in obeying the government.
We will get there!

1 Like

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by deeptesting(m): 1:29pm On Aug 13, 2013
iresearcher:

You are a baby.Learn to use your God given senses. In all my conversation, I have not used any wrong words but
its obvious that when touts like you are given internet and a PII system, you ll start misbehaving.

Thought you left because you couldn't stand the heat or you went out to get some fresh air...lol
Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by naptu2: 1:38pm On Aug 13, 2013
Now, the Lagos HOMS is just one of a number of policies that work together to take care of the poor.

Someone who wants to own a house needs to have a source of income. That's why the Lagos State Government has set up many skills acquisition centres (including the Eko/CGO automobile centre, the Samsung Academy, etc) to enable people learn a skill with which they can earn an income. There's also the Lagos Micro-Finance Institution (LASMI) that gives interest free loans and loans with minimal interest to graduates of the skills acquisition centres and other small scale enterprises. This should enable them earn an income with which they can own a home.

It is not everybody that can earn an income in that way and so there's provision for others who can't. There's the remand and rehabilitation homes and orphanages for minors, the hospital for children of the homeless and handicapped and even the "Destitute's Home".

Even the so called "Hausa beggars" that you see around have a home. It's at Oko-Baba in Ebute Metta. It was rebuilt by the Fashola Administration. I've done charity work there.

[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/667329_valentine20with20the20destitute202_jpg16153d0e1083f651287170ebfdb66c4f[/img]

[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/667320_valentine20with20the20destitute204_jpg204fbe28fbadf591be1ff7ad291a176b[/img]

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by deeptesting(m): 1:41pm On Aug 13, 2013
Guk:

(1) There is nothing to learn from Jakande Low cost houses. They are all collapsing 30 years after. Go to Jakande on lekki Expressway. Go to Adeniji Adele; Go to Isolo and Iponri low cost and you will see the evidence of bad projects by Jakande.

(2) It is not Lagos State Govt's business where they are going to live or when has it been LASG's business where you have chosen to live? Govts all over the world have housing scheme for subscribers whether poor or rich and if you qualify, you are allocated one but are Nigerians willing to meet the requirements of qualification? as we always feel we are smart and seek to circumvent the laws.

(3) It is only a WICKED person that will say Badia should not be cleared out. I have been involved with an NGO that raised money for kids living in a place called Dustbin Village where people were living on dumpsites. Is it your wish for someone to keep living there? why dont you exchange your own comfort and go live there. Same for Makoko where i have also gone to help young children there too

(4)

Dude there is so much to learn from it, first it provided accommodation for low-income earners most especially civil servants for over 30 years....Most who got these houses have since sold them, retired and relocated to their home state to build more descent two,three rooms and 2 bedroom flats for those who are buoyant. Who are the owners of the present government buildings? How many people are aware of the time of allocation of these buildings after it has been constructed? If you have really gone out there to help these poor ones I doubt you will support the government to throw them out without adequate compensation or temporary relocation irrespective of owns the land....During his campaign for re-election did he put it up to them as part of his manifesto that he will demolish their houses without adequate compensation or relocation? I am sure he promised them heaven on earth......
Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by pheliciti: 1:42pm On Aug 13, 2013
To most people commenting, let me ask if you have ever been to Badia? If you have not, then see this picture of Badia. The question is, can you live here? Can you let your relatives live here? Forget whether or not they own the land, could they not have kept sanitary conditions? I was part of a non governmental Community dev. Project trying to give Badia pipe borne water. I discovered that they have pipe borne water and drainages, they blocked the drainages with refuse.
To those of us that say govt should relocate them free of charge, you would be shocked to note that they pay rent to some people, they thus can afford rent in other places away from the city center. Ask how man of these people pay taxes or do we think that voting alone entitles us to all good things of life?

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by maryhaam(f): 1:48pm On Aug 13, 2013
Observing and taking note

1 Like

Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by Pattey(m): 1:53pm On Aug 13, 2013
Capnd143: oga fashola, i am strongly beside you, nigeria needs sacrifice to move ahead

Tell me something!??!! I didn't kno we needed sacrifices Ooo. . . Thought what we needed was to balance policies in a humane manner E.G having temporary transit quaters/shelter for those to be displaced, better still; actual accomodation they can put up and their old place, when finished, can be allocated to other residents. Anyhow the government chooses; people should only sacrifice as much as the government is responsible towards their well being.

Now the big question, who will pay for the re-development of the area meant for demolition? Will home/land owners still 'own' property? Can we get guarantee previous occupants can return afterwards?

If you're demolishing because its 'for their own good', then by all mean they must return there after re-construction. Will this happen? If your answer is No, then we need not stress our cute brains further on Fashola's monstrosity.
Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by Pattey(m): 1:56pm On Aug 13, 2013
iresearcher: This is my argument.
I have a land somewhere in a city.I leave it unused for some time
You go to the land and erect shanties,slums etc.I come back several years after
and I ask you to leave because I now need my land to do something meaningful then you start
crying blue murder.
The truth be told, provided you did not buy the land and it is not your inheritance, you
do not have any claim to it whatsoever.
It amazes me how some organisations make noise out of nothing. Even outside of the country,
despite the fact that the land is yours or your inheritance, you are still told what and how to build
on it because there is a master plan. If you left your village without penny, what do you expect
in the city,inherit someones land or property?

Please lets use our brains before we make comments abeg.

So u feel super-brainy by suggesting '9,000' displaced people were living in shanties? And LASG owned all of the land? WooooW
Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by naptu2: 1:58pm On Aug 13, 2013
The urban renewal programme will also encompass the Makoko area. The Makoko renewal project has not started yet, but I can show you the Isale-Gangan renewal project.
Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by joelreg(m): 2:01pm On Aug 13, 2013
malc619: LASG isn't father Christmas. Why do people expect LASG to take care of miscreants and destitutes from the far-flung corners of Nigeria??

If Lagos life is too hard for you, go back to your village, start farming and start living like a human being.

Most of these people prefer to live like animals in Lagos than to live like a human in their states. Very pathetic..

cool

U talk like a toldler. Av u boda to read falani article.
Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by naptu2: 2:02pm On Aug 13, 2013
Urban renewal projects.

Below is an example (the Isale-Gangan urban renewal scheme).

naptu2: Isale-Gangan (1950s)

naptu2: Isale-Gangan (2009)

[size=14pt]Fashola inspects Isale-Gangan Urban Renewal Project.[/size]

watchinglagos: As we inch pile after pile, beam of steel after beam of steel, you can be sure we will deliver the project, he says.

Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola (SAN), Sunday inspected the on-going urban regeneration residential development in Isale Gangan, Central Lagos assuring that although there would be challenges ahead, his administration was not looking back in its drive to deliver the project.

The Isale Gangan Residential Development is an 11-storey, 54-flat housing project being developed by the Lagos State Urban Renewal Agency in the historic Isale Gangan area in Central Lagos. The 11-Floor development being done with the agreement of all the families who owned the small pieces of land used for it would comprise of two floors for parking, two and three bedroom flats, two lifts, staircases and escape staircases among other features.

Fielding questions from newsmen after the inspection, Governor Fashola said although there are challenges on the way to the completion , the important thing was that the project has moved from a dream to a plan and from a plan to reality adding that the structure was being built to ensure that it would stand the test of time.

“There are challenges ahead before the project is completed, no doubt, but the important thing is that it has moved from a dream to a plan and from a plan to reality. The race to the finish line is quite challenging but we are not looking back. And as we work pile after pile, track after track, beam of steel after beam of steel, you can be sure we will deliver the project”, the Governor assured.

Giving background information about the project, Governor Fashola, who said the area suffered collapse of buildings several years back, pointed out that the unfortunate incident created an opportunity for his administration to decide to renew the area and put some solid residential structures in place.

“Some of the developments here were done during the “developers’’ era” when foundations came up in the night and five years later the building collapsed”, the Governor said adding that the space for the project was created from small pieces of land whose owners merged together for the housing development which, when completed, will revert to the land owners.

“We encouraged the families who own small pieces of land in this place to merge together in one piece and we helped them form an agreement so we can create space and build this place for them with all the amenities which will enable them live the kind of life they have been used to, have parties and so on, drive in and park their cars in their homes”, the Governor further explained.

According to the Governor, “this place will be a residential home for all of the families who own small pieces of land here. Each of them now has an apartment here instead of the small piece which cannot contain a house. We have helped them merge into this very big space so their lands are now in the vertical space. We have relocated them to Ipaja so that after the completion of this project those who want to return here can do so but those who do not want to return can let theirs out. But each family that owns land here has already been resettled”.

“These are some of the resettlement schemes that we do that we do not make too much noise about; but the beneficiaries know it and they understand it”, Governor Fashola said.
Assuring that the project would be structurally stable, the Governor declared, “The more difficult work is already almost completed, piling to secure the structural stability of the house. You can see the type of construction, the type of piling, over 200 piles already here and more to come. There are piles that have gone as deep as 27 metres here and you can see the width and diameter, so you can see this is a building that cannot collapse”.

The 11-floor residential building, being constructed by Anatolia International Limited, consists of nine residential floors with a total of 54 flats made up of 36 2-bedroom flats and 18 3-bedroom flats. Each floor contains six flats made up of four 2-bedroom flats and two 3-bedroom flats while the ground and first floors are for parking lots.

Governor Fashola, who was conducted round the project by the Managing Director of the construction company, Mr. Chahid Raffoul, was accompanied on the tour by the Commissioner for Works and Infrastructure, Dr. Olufemi Hamzat among other top government officials as well as community leaders and residents who turned out to welcome the Governor.

http://www.watchinglagos.com/2013/02/fashola-inspects-11-floor-54-flat-isale.html

https://www.nairaland.com/1187548/fashola-inspects-isale-gangan-urban

naptu2: [img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/978310_285376_529637573724180_2116359675_n_jpg3adadfef1734f572b61da504d45cd8b2[/img]

[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/978311_798399_529637417057529_1851089642_o_jpg64de0c10595b2a5a33b76655fc7290c9[/img]

[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/978312_843938_529637953724142_1784176355_o_jpg6775e6e6c94ad5f8ef60f54bb7c04ca1[/img]
Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by iresearcher(m): 2:05pm On Aug 13, 2013
Pattey:

So u feel super-brainy by suggesting '9,000' displaced people were living in shanties? And LASG owned all of the land? WooooW

Do you know what 9,000 is? You guys just brandish figure to generate pity.
BTW, I have not in anyway supported anybody but only asked questions.
Some of these places, even you cannot enter or go look for someone.
Stop claiming one activist that you are not
Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by collynzo2(m): 2:07pm On Aug 13, 2013
colombiana: All I can say is fashola is not loved ny the poor but respected by the rich, time for election u wud see the same poor ple runnin the streets for fashola and his kind for peanuts let the rich and their children do that and the poor shud stop complaining, someone who gives u a tent only to go back and take ur homes, when the wind of wealth and greed comes blowin ur tent is taken and u start complainin. Mtcheww. Don't forget its the same man who bought helmet for okada riders only for him to ban and seize and even demolish the okadas. Hmmmmmn very funny indeed
Strong line @ bolded. Hmmm
Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by mapet: 2:35pm On Aug 13, 2013
@Moodswing,

1. I think we should be careful here when we put things into perspectives.
2. True the government has a social contract with the citizen as you stated, but you should also not paint that social contract as the exclusive preserve of the people living in slums.
3. The issue of slums is complex and an international scorge and responsible government are approaching it in a multifacet way.
4. As at now, I'm yet to properly read the Amnesty international's statistical analysis, but I also know that you don't just throw numbers out in the public domain without stating the context.
5. The said social contract will be challenging when citizens are not properly enumerated and herein you are not able to pin the responsible arm of government to be accountable to such citizen. Trust me, it is not practical for government to be accountable to people, just because they live in shanties and slums. If a random head-count is made and we find out that 25% of that lot are togoleese, Arabs, Beninnoise etc...... So Fashola will be blamed for that
6. The "cry for the poor" here is simply just being melo-dramatic. Some people are bearing the brunt of the cost of the rebuilding of Lagos that Fashola has done and his doing. These people will further bear the brunt of the indebtedness of Lagos all thru there taxes and levies.
7. How do you reconcile the fact that an average person living in a shanty for free, goes about town to "hustle", "beg", "rob or pickpockets"....pays no taxes, no levies, no rent, nothing; comes home with an average of 3thousand naira a day, to a school teacher that earns 30 - 50k a month, and after all expenses is left with less than half of that. Which one is more lucrative on the naira.
8. The truth is that those of us who live in Lagos can actually profile the people that live in these shanties, and many of them are able bodied men and women that should contribute to that social contract.

moodswing:

Wise man make I tell you...

The government has a binding social contract with it's citizens. This contract contains certain duties and responsibilities of the government. And one of the duties of the government is to "provide" for it's citizens. Both the rich an the poor.

The govement builds infrastructures like hospitals, roads, schools etc. and majority of these infrastructures are cited in the urban areas. Now how does a poor man who resides in the rural area with no access to these roads, schools and hospitals benefit from the government which he also has as much tights to as those living in the cities?

In a democracy, the government derives it's powers from the citizens, which invariably means that the citizens are sovereign.

It's is a breach of this social contract for the government to render it's citizens homeless instead of doing otherwise.

Lagosians are not only those who can afford houses but also those who can't and the government have a moral obligation to satisfy these people in different social statuses.

So you're argument is weak and of no substance.

Only an irresponsible government t renders it's citizens homeless in the name of development.
Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by macjurek(m): 2:39pm On Aug 13, 2013
HIS EXCELLENCY BRF..........................GENTLE GENTLE GENTLE SIR.

Sir, i salute your bold step of turning Slums in Lagos into Habitable places of Estates,like the case of Maroko then.

But i will be more happy, when alternative arrangement is made for the Slum dwellers,who are now homeless and hopeless with their family please sir.

Out of your good mind and conscience,workout an arrangement even if temporary, God will bless you and your cabinet. Of a truth i growup in Amukoko,Mosafejo area and even live in the same street in my late's father property with one of the LGCD Chairman.

I feel for them..........................Consider them sir..........

Thanks in advance for this good and nice gesture sir.........
Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by wellmax(m): 2:39pm On Aug 13, 2013
John Frankling: ok, he should build the flats first
Oga, where e for build am, on top refuse?
Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by HookesLaw: 2:39pm On Aug 13, 2013
naija_swag: They said he is the most admired governor, they all believed.
With a single action, he pulled the rug off his feet to reveal the dirt hidden in the rug.
He is being heckled from all sides. No only his countrymen but the international community have reminded him of what a Holy man said some 2000 years ago that "you will always have the poor among you"
He did it to himself, it was not an anti-party gang up. The spiral effect of his singular action has destroyed some people's political ambition somewhere in the SE. He cannot even venture that zone because he will be deported on arrival, maybe he will never campaign there when he hopes to run for presidency.
He forgot the fundamentals of being a public figure.
The over 90% of poor people in this country now regard him as their enemy because he will not fail to displace them if he has his way in other to build mega cities.
If he becomes president, he will banish everyone who does not have a job, everyone who is poor to the countryside so he could build mega cities.
In Fact he hates national integration.

I must say The depth of your thought and reasoning is not only nauseating, disgusting and deeply repugnant but also fumes with a glee of amusement.
Your entire treatise fumes with odium and a deeply routed animonisity for no just course.
As much as i know dat ur opinion is inconsequential cos of d incoherent data u made, dat portrayed u as a kindagarten, greenhorn and a liliputean observer of what governance is all about,some of us av sacred obligations to banish jonathanian reason atleast because of the credulous and undiscerning amongst us.
Lets lay the facts bare;

how u came about ur 90% of the poor postulation is not only hogwash, incongrous with the basic tenets of statistic but another 5 is greater than 27 (5>27) reasoning for which prof. Chike obi wil b saddened in his grave.
U made reference to fashola campaignin for high office in the S.E. The Q is, has he told u is nursing such. Even if he is,do u think this ur serial empty 'MASSOBIC' threat wil deter him. My dear, in governance, u dnt treat economic issues because of political uncertainty.
Lastly, a word of advice to ur clueless hero(b4 u accuse me of insultin our president, i think u shud watch el miliband and david cameron on skynews more and see the power of innuendoes) GEJ dat he shud learn from brf, the strategic way of responding to tension soaked issues via his diff. Spokesmen,which i bliv is 1of d major hallmark of a gud leader. A typical example is d deportatn saga, he had only responded once, and he tactically chose an auspicious occation and setting. This was the inspection of 1 of d biggest ongoing projects in ds country, the 10 lane lagos badagry road with a 27km light rail constructn in d median. (The msg he is surreptitiously tho subtlely passin is dat,yes u may tink i goofed bt u cant fault my ability to deliver) Ever since, he has allowed ordinary nigerians who blived in hm to fight hs course.he has stayed back in hs office 4 several igbo socio political groups to liase with. This has again confirm hs vantage positn as brf nd a lagos yl on d oda syd nobody has thought it wise to meet with gov.obi. All we av heard nd seen is diatribes and tantrums being hurled at gov. obi saying,he ran to d gej nd d press 4political purpose.u mit b thinking dat is ds,its a wel calculated nd fastidious *strategy* but in the case of my president,for every inconsistency found in hm,his attach dogs paid wit tax payers money wil issue bully oriented press releases threatenin brim and stone. This is nt strategic,its a denigratn of d sanctity of dat exaulted office 4u to respond to every direct or indirect innuendos. GEJ shud allow nigerians to fight 4him.a fight devoid of acrimony bt facts. He shud instantly also pay unscheduled visit to some of hs major project site.this is simple political psychology he shud allow to linger in d minds of d electorate. I must also say this is 1 out tens of many strategies being used by courageously savvy leaders in d world 4which brf represents not this kindagarten attitude dat hovers around sentiments nd passion rather dan reasoning.
Re: Fashola Replies Amnesty International, To Build 1,008 Flats In Badia by mapet: 2:45pm On Aug 13, 2013
@deepstesting,
1. Stop being melodramtic. I assume you don't live in Lagos.
2. Those you claim are being thrown on the streets are have HOMES they can return to; trust me.
3. Truth is LASG have committed to invest in improving the quality of our lives and that of our unborn generation. Encouraging slums and shanties is not part of that.
4. Taking a head count of what? Have you considered that if Lagos State does that, will that not send a signaling effect that it is more profitable to go via the rout of living in slums than working. At what cost would they profer solution? Besides any of these people that need rehabilitation, can avail themselves to all the skill Acquisiton centers spread over all local government in Lagos.

4. Truth is that an over-arching objective of rebuilding Ijora-Badia with 1008 flats that your children and my children can take on a mortgage basis is the imperative and if it is at the cost of people who can't survive in Lagos returning to their villages, then all's fair. You see the Lagosians amongst them can be accomodated in the skill acquisition centers, farms and other provision already made by Lagos State government. The only people that government should shoulder their resposibilities in this regard are the senior citizens, the physically and mentally challenged. If you can work, then you must work...and contribute to the state
deeptesting:

Yes and that government responsibility you mentioned is to bulldoze the houses of the poor dwellers, throw them to the streets and when they become artificial destitute as created by the government they arrest them and deport them to their home state...my friend if the LASG is responsible they will take head counts of these slum dwellers,set up a committee to assess the impact of the demolition on the lives of these people and proffer solutions before brining in the bulldozers..the fact is destroying theses slums without adequate compensation or relocation as stated by amnesty does not solve the problem because having destroyed their homes they will find another conducive environment to start another slum and the government will not notice it until when they start looking for a parcel of land to fulfill their respective objectives of self enrichment. Now answer these question: having demolished the slums in Ijora Badia can you tell me where the dwellers reside at the moment? Have they all gone back to their villages?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Sen. Dino To Bello: Stop The Plans To Sell Kogi Properties Or Face Legal Actions / FG Suspends Mining In Zamfara State Over Killings / N1.08bn Corruption Scandal Hits Debt Management Office

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 168
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.