Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,881 members, 7,802,847 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:10 PM

Help! My Parents Are Adopting! - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Help! My Parents Are Adopting! (3113 Views)

My Parents Divorce Left My Life In Shambles / His Parents Are Against Him For Wanting To Get His Own House / How Third Parties Involvement Ruin My Parents Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! My Parents Are Adopting! by Winneygirl(f): 5:46am On Aug 14, 2013
Awww.....Op is such a baby (yeah, we are going to play that card)...
Whining and throwing tantrums like a baby...
Don't worry ok? I'll buy U chocolate.
Re: Help! My Parents Are Adopting! by slimyem: 9:00am On Aug 14, 2013
My dear Simon, its a good thing your parents are planning to do. Support them and open out your arms to the baby. Stop worrying about tomorrow or death. Death will come when it will but it doesn't mean your parents shouldn't make decisions that will make them happy while they are still here. They are alive and well and that what you do when you are alive and well..you live and be happy,you touch the lives that you can and you make plans.
You are a man now. Be just that and a big brother too. He/she(the adopted sib) won't be a burden. Live and let the little one live!
Re: Help! My Parents Are Adopting! by Nobody: 9:23am On Aug 14, 2013

MMOPTG!!! HAHAHAHA!
Re: Help! My Parents Are Adopting! by redcliff: 10:12am On Aug 14, 2013
SimonAndal:
_

Will be graduating soon, but that ain't the point. They have this twisted reasoning that they're doing it for me (whatever that means). I don't need a sibling to bog me down. I perform better on my own, it's a tested and proven fact.

They think that maybe this will keep me from "running off abroad".

[size=14pt]Maybe they are actually really doing it for you. They want you to keep it in the family. grin[/size]
Re: Help! My Parents Are Adopting! by mkmyers45(m): 11:00am On Aug 14, 2013
Will a baby girl make it less worse?
Re: Help! My Parents Are Adopting! by TV01(m): 11:00am On Aug 14, 2013
OP, based on what you've shared and more generally, I actually think you have valid concerns.

Don't get me wrong, doubtlessly being an only child and the centre of your parents world for 19? yours has made you at least a little brattish, if not imbued you with a monster sense of entitlement. However the timing and shaping of this move does raise some questions.

I wouldn't have normally felt comfortable touching on this, but since you have, I will. Your parents age - and therefore ability - to cope with a child and possibly not being around to raise him to maturity, leaves you with a sense of impending burden as next of kin.

At your age, you should be looking ahead to enjoying your young adulthood and then starting a family of your own. And further, your parents should be focusing on readying you for that phase of your life. What is the motive behind the timing of this? Given the life phases they and you are currently in.

If it's too keep you company or have a larger family, this should have happened when you were much younger, especially if the child is of a different ethnicity.

However, I wouldn't fear the doomsday scenario of your parents passing in your sophomore year and you playing daddy daycare in between lectures and frat parties. The obvious best all round solution here would be for the child to be further adopted by another couple.

Someone mentioned your orientation? If that is the issue, it would make a bit more sense. Perhaps they only just realised? And possibly makes it even more ominous

I have some questions - although purely rhetorical on my part;

How old is the adopted child to be
Is this story actually true
Were you yourself adopted (hence my question mark after "19" earlier)
Is this really adoption or fostering
What am I doing on this thread grin!

And some tongue in cheek musing - not advise.

- At their current age, the authorities would hardly look favourably on their application to adopt? Especially given the ethnic difference. I'm assuming this is not some celeb type procurement from abroad?

- You could threaten to kill yourself if they go through with it, and do so if they do. Drastic I know, but it would simplify things somewhat.

- Ahitophelian counsel would work here, but if you are smart enough you can figure that out for yourself.

On balance I doubt this story, but it was fun musing over it.

TV
Re: Help! My Parents Are Adopting! by biolabee(m): 11:13am On Aug 14, 2013
Interesting story.

The parents are aged and that is the koko and potential longevity
Ten yrs time they will be in the 80s with a teenager and it's like they are great-grandparents

This child where is the child-is he in an orphange already

Is it possible to commit to the education of the child in the sos village because frankly I don't see how your folks have the strength to do all these

Have you spoken with them to know their fears-maybe they want a grandkid and you can do that instead

In the event of their bereavment what is their back up plan

All in all not a good idea
Re: Help! My Parents Are Adopting! by EveryLadY(f): 11:38am On Aug 14, 2013
Abeg make we Afrik-Style this story. Simon,Abi u don comot for ur parent belle, use winch hold another pickin from coming? Now wey their plan don dey dabaru ur plan, u don dey cry ni? My peeps na so I been dey see am from our crystal circle o!
Re: Help! My Parents Are Adopting! by Nobody: 12:26pm On Aug 14, 2013
mkmyers45: Will a baby girl make it less worse?
_

Anything that's gonna tie me down WILL make it much worse.
Re: Help! My Parents Are Adopting! by mkmyers45(m): 12:32pm On Aug 14, 2013
SimonAndal:
_

Anything that's gonna tie me down WILL make it much worse.

Dude, take a chill pill

Your parents are doing themselves and you a favour albeit late but its still a huge favour

Don't worry....Being responsible comes naturally
Re: Help! My Parents Are Adopting! by Nobody: 12:47pm On Aug 14, 2013
TV01: OP, based on what you've shared and more generally, I actually think you have valid concerns.
_

Thank you!

Don't get me wrong, doubtlessly being an only child and the centre of your parents world for 19? yours has made you at least a little brattish, if not imbued you with a monster sense of entitlement.
_

Not in the least. That is childish mentality.

At your age, you should be looking ahead to enjoying your young adulthood and then starting a family of your own.
_

Enjoying my young adulthood, yes. Starting a family? Not until I'm 31.

However, I wouldn't fear the doomsday scenario of your parents passing in your sophomore year and you playing daddy daycare in between lectures and frat parties.
_

But that is their plan.

The obvious best all round solution here would be for the child to be further adopted by another couple.
_

Further damaging the child psychologically.

Someone mentioned your orientation? If that is the issue, it would make a bit more sense.
_

That is the case.

I have some questions - although purely rhetorical on my part;

How old is the adopted child to be
_

2 years.

Were you yourself adopted (hence my question mark after "19" earlier)
_

No.

Is this really adoption or fostering
_

Adoption.

What am I doing on this thread grin!
_

Buddha alone knows.

And some tongue in cheek musing - not advise.

- At their current age, the authorities would hardly look favourably on their application to adopt? Especially given the ethnic difference. I'm assuming this is not some celeb type procurement from abroad?
_

This is Nigeria. You can always bypass the authorities. There is no ethnic difference, and no, it is not some "celeb-type procurement from abroad"

- You could threaten to kill yourself if they go through with it, and do so if they do. Drastic I know, but it would simplify things somewhat.
_

I've out-grown my suicidal phase.

- Ahitophelian counsel would work here, but if you are smart enough you can figure that out for yourself.
_

Not sure how I would incorporate Ahitophelian counsel into this, but I'll let you know if I find out.

On balance I doubt this story, but it was fun musing over it.
TV

Is this story actually true
_

MMOPTG!
Re: Help! My Parents Are Adopting! by Nobody: 12:50pm On Aug 14, 2013
mkmyers45:

Dude, take a chill pill

Your parents are doing themselves and you a favour albeit late but its still a huge favour

Don't worry....Being responsible comes naturally
_

I've decided that they can do whatever they like. I'm just not gonna be a part of it.
Re: Help! My Parents Are Adopting! by Nobody: 4:35pm On Aug 14, 2013

Massively Multiplayer Online People Trolling Game.
Re: Help! My Parents Are Adopting! by demelza: 4:49pm On Aug 14, 2013
SimonAndal:
I suspected this given your previous antecedents! You are a cross between an a$$ and a hole. Its a nice one anyway grin
Re: Help! My Parents Are Adopting! by HezronLorraine(m): 5:47pm On Aug 14, 2013
SimonAndal:
sssssssssssssssssssssssiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmmmmmmmmmoooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Chai,seriously,I fell for this
Re: Help! My Parents Are Adopting! by Nobody: 7:56pm On Aug 14, 2013

Thank y'all for participating. I'm actually helping out a friend with her psychology paper on social behaviour (or engineering or stuff like that). Don't be offended.
Re: Help! My Parents Are Adopting! by Gudintent: 4:51am On Aug 15, 2013
MMOPTG

I wondered what that meant when you first wrote it, now I do

Nice

Hopefully sme1 else might benefit from the advices given.
Re: Help! My Parents Are Adopting! by tpia5: 7:12pm On Dec 16, 2013
lord have mercy.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Can I Get My One Year Old Nephew On His Birthday? / My Chat With A Scammer On Skype (screenshots) / Where Are These Lost Monikers On Nairaland?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.