Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,483 members, 7,808,756 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:26 PM

Nigeria Is Jinxed, Cursed Says Former President Obasanjo-premium TIMES - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Is Jinxed, Cursed Says Former President Obasanjo-premium TIMES (1030 Views)

How Jonathan Appointed Suspected Serial Thief To Head Radio Nig - Premium Times / What Saraki Told Obasanjo - Premium Times / Nigeria Is Jinxed, Cursed… – Obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Is Jinxed, Cursed Says Former President Obasanjo-premium TIMES by fnk: 1:17am On Aug 14, 2013
By Jide Jegede

While reviewing Nigeria’s history since independence, former President Olusegun Obasanjo said the country may have been cursed with poor and irresponsible leaders.

Mr. Obasanjo, who gave the keynote address at the 4th Annual Ibadan Sustainable Development Summit organised by Centre for Sustainable Development, University of Ibadan, in collaboration with African Sustainable Development Network, on Tuesday, said if Nigerians were yet to commend a leader after 53 years of independence, “Then we are jinxed and cursed; we should all go to hell.”

He also condemned the younger generation of leaders in the country, saying they lack integrity and probity and have failed their people woefully.

Making specific reference to his Vice President for eight years, Atiku Abubakar; former governor of Lagos State, Bola Tinubu; former Speaker, House of Representatives, Salisu Buhari; former Bayelsa State Governor, Deprieye Alamieyeseigha; and others as younger generation of leaders, the former President said Nigeria was not lucky even with them.

“We had some people who were under 50years in leadership positions. One of them was James Ibori, where is he today? One of them was Alamieyeseigha, where is he today? Lucky Igbinedion, where is he today?

“The youngest was the Speaker, (Salisu) Buhari; you can still recall what happened to him. You said Bola Tinubu is your master. What Buhari did was not anything worse than what Bola Tinubu did.

“We got them impeached. But in this part of the world some people covered up the other man. The man claimed he went to Government College, Ibadan but the governor (Oyo State) went to Government College and packed all the documents so that they would not know that he did not go there.

“I wanted someone who would succeed me so I took Atiku. Within a year, I started seeing the type of man Atiku is. And you want me to get him there?

“I once went to Tanzania because Julius Nyerere recognised Biafra. He told me not to mind his aides and others in government. They would say they have one house in town but their five year old sons and daughters would have houses all over.

“Some of you who are condemning the leadership would get there tomorrow and it will be a different story. Only very few are actually good.

“Abacha, my predecessor got $750m. Through our lawyer in Switzerland we recovered $1.25bn and the lawyer still said there is probably still another $1bn to be recovered. In 1979 we had 20 new ships specially built for Nigeria. When I came back 20 years after, the national shipping line had liquidated.

“The whole thing is not just about leadership. If we talk about good leadership you should also talk about good followers. If you talk about human right you should also talk about human duties and obligations.

“It is sad that after 53years of independence we have no leader that we can commend. The problem in Africa is that when one person takes over he would not see any good thing that his predecessor did. Let us condemn but with caution,” the former military ruler and two-term democractically elected president said.

The Vice-Chancellor of the University of Ibadan, Isaac Adewole said he was worried about the fate that could befall the country as she holds her general elections in 2015.

“We have not raised question about the scenario where 35 people found it difficult to conduct credible election in this country,” the don said in reference to the election of the Chairman of the Nigeria Governors Forum that has polarized Nigeria’s 36 state governors.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Is Jinxed, Cursed Says Former President Obasanjo-premium TIMES by fnk: 1:22am On Aug 14, 2013
Which way Nigeria, which way do we go.

Is anybody talking about that U.S prediction about Nigeria come 2015? A lot is happening to be worried about 2015

https://www.nairaland.com/299/outright-collapse-nigeria-predicted-us
Re: Nigeria Is Jinxed, Cursed Says Former President Obasanjo-premium TIMES by kunlesehan(m): 1:36am On Aug 14, 2013
hmmmm ... the country is cursed; and you lived this long to utter such gibberish?
Naaah this news must be fake. All farmers are wise not to talk of a newly born again one at that ... lol
Nigeria, my fatherland, may God bless those who bless you, and cursed be those who curse you.
long live nairaland!
long live Nigeria!!
Re: Nigeria Is Jinxed, Cursed Says Former President Obasanjo-premium TIMES by Kanwulia: 1:52am On Aug 14, 2013
Shameless old GOAT! cheesy
Hail the AREA FADA of DEMON-CRAZZZY IN NIGERIA!!!!
Re: Nigeria Is Jinxed, Cursed Says Former President Obasanjo-premium TIMES by Nobody: 6:22am On Aug 14, 2013
“The whole thing is not just about leadership.
If we talk about good leadership you should
also talk about good followers. If you talk
about human right you should also talk about
human duties and obligations." Gbam!
Re: Nigeria Is Jinxed, Cursed Says Former President Obasanjo-premium TIMES by Ade3000yrs(m): 3:00pm On Aug 03, 2016
Obasanjo will always remain the 2nd Awolowo for the greater interest of Nigeria but we Nigerians are blind to see it. A few other people were instrumental but skip the notice of Nigeria. We instead prefer to drag d names of our good leaders in the mud.
A child who does not acknowledge the office and grey hair of an old man will surely die young. if u Dnt see d good in others except evil, u may never amount to anything good.
Most Yorubas hate Obasanjo today because he stood firm against corruption with a iron hand and because he was not into Charity like Awolowo and General Ibrahim Bangida who were sparingly nice and generous.
We need a new phase of mentality and cultural restructuring.
Re: Nigeria Is Jinxed, Cursed Says Former President Obasanjo-premium TIMES by Ade3000yrs(m): 3:18pm On Aug 03, 2016
Obasanjo will always remain the 2nd Awolowo for the greater interest of Nigeria but we Nigerians are blind to see it. A few other people were instrumental but skip the notice of Nigeria. We instead prefer to drag d names of our good leaders in the mud.
A child who does not acknowledge the office and grey hair of an old man will surely die young. if u Dnt see d good in others except evil, u may never amount to anything good. Most of the projects obasanjo executed are not in yoruba land but more in the East, North and South and yet these people to include the yorubas could open their mouth with which they use to pray to their Gods in Churches, Mosque and Shrine and say they never benefited from him.
Most Yorubas hate Obasanjo today because he stood firm against corruption with a iron hand and because he was not into Charity like Awolowo and General Ibrahim Bangida who were sparingly nice and generous.
We need a new phase of mentality and cultural restructuring. Haven dug well into the history of these Nigerian leaders, The leaders I so much respect in Nigeria today are the likes of Obafemi Awolowo, General Olusegun Obasanjo, General Muhammed Buharri, General Sanni Abacha the all time greatest and most revered and fearsome leader, General Ibrahim Babangida, General Abdusalami Abubakar, Yakubu Gowon, Nnamdi Azikiwe, Ahmadu Bello and the likes. we need to come out of our obscurity and being to appreciate the effort of our leaders. Till date I appreciate the effort of Obasanjo the most. Nigeria needs the likes of firm and iron hand leaders Charles Soludo and Dr Obiangeli Ezekwezili.
Re: Nigeria Is Jinxed, Cursed Says Former President Obasanjo-premium TIMES by KanwuliaExtra: 3:29pm On Aug 03, 2016
Including HIMSELF!

Bwaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaa
Re: Nigeria Is Jinxed, Cursed Says Former President Obasanjo-premium TIMES by Adminisher: 3:36pm On Aug 03, 2016
When the YOUTH of a country celebrate only the corrupt, what do you expect?. Saraki was corrupt in PDP but he wasvnot as popular as now with some people with some people after he played a fast one against his party, worked with the corrupt opposition and became Senate President.

The first budget they have passed has now been discovered to be PADDED.

Why won't OBJ complain.

(1) (Reply)

2015: Ex-militants Caution ‘new PDP’ Against Stopping Jonathan / . / Fresh Plot To Impeach Goodluck Jonathan Uncovered; Ibb, Obj, G7 Gov, Involved

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.