Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,792 members, 7,802,515 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:42 PM

Firefox Tabbed Browsing Is Helping Scammers In Africa? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Firefox Tabbed Browsing Is Helping Scammers In Africa? (6001 Views)

Download Mozilla Firefox For Java Phone Here!!! / There Is A Scammers In Nairaland / Latest Mtn And Etisalat Free Browsing Is Available. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Firefox Tabbed Browsing Is Helping Scammers In Africa? by mambenanje(m): 7:52pm On Jun 04, 2008
How Mozilla Foundation's Tabbed Browsing is Helping Scammers in Africa

I personally think the Mozilla firefox browser is helping scammers spam more easily by opening many tabs. and I would like to know what webmasters think about this.

I wrote a whole article on this link about this idea, you might love to read it then post your comments below here so the world can see that the Firefox browser and the tabing system it introduced is helping spam mails in Africa.

One of the worst things about tabbed browsing is the ability to open many sites ( in tabs ) at the same time while navigating them easily without switching the windows.

The Mozilla Firefox browser has strongly pushed tabed browsing due to the ease of use it brings to web surfing. I personally see how it helps me read soo many blog articles or tutorials in the same browser. But the worst part of it all is how this our African Scammers use it to open many "classified ads " sites to post same spam on all sites. You need to see how they post about 200 spams in an hour, just with the help of tab browsing. What will happen if they put in 6 hours ? If my maths is right, one person will post 1200 items in 6 hours. Usually they have internet at home, just imagine the spam they can be posting, and still captcha cant do anything.

See how Firefox from the Mozilla foundation is helping them spam classified ads sites.

No wonder www.kerawa.com was already complaining about spam.

I went to a cyber cafe here in Buea( Cameroon ) the other day, and I saw a young boy of about 18 years working with the Mozilla firefox browser on a pentium III windows xp system with about 128 mb ram and he had opened about 50 tabs on the same Window. Beside him I found guys complaining about the internet connection being too slow [ what could be the cause of the slow lines ? ].

Actually with so many tabs open, and about five such young guys in that cyber, then no body will be able to use the internet anymore, just because five computers are already consuming the bandwidth required by 50 computers. What will the others use now to read their yahoo mail [ ofcourse 50% browsing in Africa is yahoo mail and 40% is manual spamming wink ].

I personally think if Mozilla foundation can put a customisation module on Firefox where a cyber cafe admin can set the number of tabs to open per window, then this issue will reduce the number of spams per day from scammers in Africa. And I think it will help to ensure the proper netiquette to be practised in African cyber cafes.

This will prevent scammers to open many tabs and copy paste ads into many classified sites. Remember even Captcha cant stop manual posting, so we have to do something about this multi tab browsing abuse.

To conclude I strongly blame the scammers for using Firefox to send their spams faster, I love tab browsing, but I want the world to see how Africans are using it for the bad side. And about Mozilla Foundation: they are not actually the ones promoting it, but people always devise bad things out of good ones.

http://mambenanje..com/2008/06/mozilla-foundation-is-helping-scammers.html
Re: Firefox Tabbed Browsing Is Helping Scammers In Africa? by debosky(m): 7:54pm On Jun 04, 2008
This must be the dumbest post ever - Mozilla helping scammers? Doesn't IE open multiple tabs? Or Netscape?

I know everyone wants to write a blog these days and sound intelligent, but TRY to come up with reasonable posts next time. Mozilla helping scammers! Next thing, yahoo is helping 419ers by auto-saving their scam letters. Rubbish
Re: Firefox Tabbed Browsing Is Helping Scammers In Africa? by mambenanje(m): 8:08pm On Jun 04, 2008
@debosky
I didnt know it will hurt you that much talking about scammers, if you are one I am very very sorry wink
just one question then I am done with you:

Which browser pushed tab browsing into Africa ?
Re: Firefox Tabbed Browsing Is Helping Scammers In Africa? by debosky(m): 8:22pm On Jun 04, 2008
you are indeed a cretin - which browser pushed tabbed browsing into Africa?

Why stop at browsers? what about what witch brought internet to Africa making email scams possible by the second?

I think I've done cretins a disservice by including you with their ilk, you exhibit a class of idiocy far beyond even them.
Re: Firefox Tabbed Browsing Is Helping Scammers In Africa? by mambenanje(m): 8:32pm On Jun 04, 2008
hey debosky
I forgot to thank you for giving me the new idea " how Gmail auto save draft technology helps 419ers send mail faster".

regarding those your words in this last post, they make no sense to me and what you dont know doesnt hurt you.
I am sorry you are feeling too bad because I am criticising scammers. Besides you just have to give me your points cos you barely know me wink
i could be your dad or maybe James Gosling cheesy
take care budy and stop biting yourself, all those words wont change the post, it will rather market the post for me
thanks for the marketing and please consider a career in internet marketing cos you know how to use bad words to cause a viral effect.
Re: Firefox Tabbed Browsing Is Helping Scammers In Africa? by debosky(m): 8:46pm On Jun 04, 2008
I didn't expect better from someone who would conceive such stupidity in the first place - I suggest you go find out the meaning of those words, it will be an enlightening journey of self discovery.

I don't know you, but your dumbness is noted now, James Gosling? Because you know Java you think that cures stupidity?

I guess one of the costs of free speech is the risk of idiocy like yours being openly displayed, c'est la vie.
Re: Firefox Tabbed Browsing Is Helping Scammers In Africa? by mambenanje(m): 8:53pm On Jun 04, 2008
Waaooh you speak french, men you have all the qualities to take the career in marketing and using big words to market products.

Ok try to be smart now, if i didnt type that post will you be commenting ?
if I am realy dumb as you say, then will you be telling me that I am dumb ?
dumb people dont understand and so why do you want me to understand I am dumb cheesy
you get the sense, if I am mad so are you, and since we can communicate only mad people can communicate with mad guys, all classifications you give me classifies you.

Hey buddy, its just a blog post, you can take it or leave it, Itoro and uncle che commented, and they didnt blame me for sharing my point of view to the world.
My blog remember my blog
guess your new to the internet and blog marketing
bye for now
Re: Firefox Tabbed Browsing Is Helping Scammers In Africa? by uspry1(f): 9:54pm On Jun 04, 2008
This thread is really hilarious i ever heard in my life, i laugh so hard falling down the floor!

You think Mozilla FireFox browser help scammers in Africa by opening multiple tabs. I don't think so!!!

I agreed with @debosky- - -what about the other popular browsers that have dynamic tabs the similar features as Mozilla FireFox browser does.

-- Opera 9
-- MS Internet Explorer 7
-- Netscape 8
-- Apple Safari
-- Deepnet Explorer

Be sure you have paid subscription of most popular computer magazine telling you the 5 best top browsers, as well as OS, computer, laptop, software editors, etc. UP-TO-DATE new trends monthly basis.

Also Developer magazine, Programming magazine, Adobe magazine, Microsoft magazine---even e-newsletters via your email receiving the latest technology trends you want to catch up anything news.
Re: Firefox Tabbed Browsing Is Helping Scammers In Africa? by uspry1(f): 9:57pm On Jun 04, 2008
I use MS IE 7 that has dynamic tabs opening new tabs on the same window by moving my cursor on the hyperlink to use right-button mouse click making a selection of drop-down menu: "Open in New Tab" that will prompt opening new tabs on the same window.
Re: Firefox Tabbed Browsing Is Helping Scammers In Africa? by tundewoods(m): 2:02am On Jun 05, 2008
debosky:

This must be the dumbest post ever - Mozilla helping scammers? Doesn't IE open multiple tabs? Or Netscape?

I know everyone wants to write a blog these days and sound intelligent, but TRY to come up with reasonable posts next time. Mozilla helping scammers! Next thing, yahoo is helping 419ers by auto-saving their scam letters. Rubbish

honestly i think debosky's reply is certainly in place,mambenanje that is a rather dumb conclusion all in the name of attracting visitors to your so called blog.So now that browser tabs assist scammers what next after auto saving scam letters by google ?
Re: Firefox Tabbed Browsing Is Helping Scammers In Africa? by mambenanje(m): 8:29am On Jun 05, 2008
Well well well Tundewoods, moderator
I must say you guys must be making your points clear to me, but if you have been reading blogs regularly, you will see soo many guys giving their own point of views on anything. You can call it dumb, but its my observation.
I am not to be sorry for thinking, and your words wont hinder me to think of anything anytime. But I must say your comments can help me think better next time. Actually this is my point of view "Firefox pushed the tabbed browsing system in to Africa and now most african scammers are using tabbed browsing to send mails faster, and it hurts me because they also disturb bandwith by eating up all the bandwidth with many tabs", so if I write about what I observe, how come you guys tell me the observation is dumb.
Who introduced tab browsing into the web [ if am not mistaking, its Firefox ]
is it correct for one computer to eat up the bandwidth in a cyber cafe [ netiquette: its wrong ]
So if Firefox didnt push the tab browsing, the other browsers wont copy it wink and this our soo called manual scammers wont be using it .
its my observation and I use it to attract readers, call it dumb, but even Windows Vista gets negative critics everyday as a bad operating system, yet it keeps gaining market share. So no matter what you say if people criticise yet they read my blog, I have nothing to loose I will keep writing dumb because its whats on my mind and to the best of my knowledge the dumb stuff I write is working for me. We blog to expose our minds to the world, now I am getting some exposure but as usual some critics must be there to kill my work.
So to you what should I blog about ??
" How Tab browsing is good for internet surfing " ? do you realy think that will make you read the post
well well well, if it hurts you guys soo badly am sorry but men I will keep writing dumb posts because they come from within ( inspiration ) and thats what I am comfortable to write about
let me go now to work and we will see in the evening after work
Re: Firefox Tabbed Browsing Is Helping Scammers In Africa? by niyyie(m): 8:56am On Jun 05, 2008
This is truly the most ridiculous thread I have ever come across on Nairaland.

For the records, Opera started offering tabbed browsing long before Firefox was conceived.
Re: Firefox Tabbed Browsing Is Helping Scammers In Africa? by mambenanje(m): 9:19am On Jun 05, 2008
ok thanks to all the comments I realised the title was not the best so I have changed the post title, I hope it now reflects what I have in mind.

@Niyie
Mozilla came up with the tabbed browsing thing, but it was not witht the Firefox browser, but Firefox browser is what has pushed it to the world. Just like Netscape started javascript and Ajax way back in 1994/1995 but Google has actually pushed it wildly to the world.
Re: Firefox Tabbed Browsing Is Helping Scammers In Africa? by Afam(m): 9:33am On Jun 05, 2008
@topic,

The conclusion is based on a complete lack of understanding of the issue the poster raised.

I once stated that the poster is certainly new to the internet and he makes sometimes very annoying and ridiculous claims that makes you wonder why the moderators are not deleting such misleading and useless threads.

Is there anything wrong in someone asking questions when in doubt?
Re: Firefox Tabbed Browsing Is Helping Scammers In Africa? by tjadeba(m): 11:29am On Jun 05, 2008
sincerly,i dont see any sense in this post.he isnt passing any message accross.
he should have asked questions if he was in doubt about issues relating to browsers(I.T in general)
Re: Firefox Tabbed Browsing Is Helping Scammers In Africa? by xanadu: 11:43am On Jun 05, 2008
Thank you, Afam. As usual, a well-rounded conclusion from you.

The poster said:
I personally think the Mozilla firefox browser is helping scammers spam more easily by opening many tabs. and I would like to know what webmasters think about this.

I mean, he did say it was his 'personal' opinion, didn't he, ? Isn't he entitled to at least hold an opinion and publish it?
Re: Firefox Tabbed Browsing Is Helping Scammers In Africa? by mambenanje(m): 11:46am On Jun 05, 2008
ok ok
let me ask questions:

how did tab browsing come about ?

can I open 1000 classified ads sites like www.kerawa.com on the same browser window and post same advert on all in a short period of time ?

can captcha stop me manually posting stuff on craiglist ?

is it bad for a particular computer in a cyber cafe to consume all the bandwidth in that cyber by opening many tabs per window ?

is it possible as of now to control the amount of bandwidth a computer eats up ?

you kind replies will help me next time
thanks
Re: Firefox Tabbed Browsing Is Helping Scammers In Africa? by tomX1(m): 11:56am On Jun 05, 2008
mambenanje:

. . . . Actually this is my point of view "Firefox pushed the tabbed browsing system in to Africa and now most african scammers are using tabbed browsing to send mails faster, and it hurts me because they also disturb bandwith by eating up all the bandwidth with many tabs", so if I write about what I observe, how come you guys tell me the observation is dumb. . . .

Actualy tabbed browsing is supposed to help conserve sytem resources since one open browser with five tabs will use less resources and overheads than five open browsers. On the server end however, if the amount of bytes being downloaded by the five tabs is equal to the amount of bytes being downloaded by the five browser window then its all thesame as "Fifty Naira & Wazo".
Re: Firefox Tabbed Browsing Is Helping Scammers In Africa? by Nobody: 12:01pm On Jun 05, 2008
Na wa o!
Re: Firefox Tabbed Browsing Is Helping Scammers In Africa? by dee02(m): 12:11pm On Jun 05, 2008
stupid post

tabbed browsing is efficient and makes it easy to browse the net

linking it to helping scammers is just another dumb suggestion!

what can scammers not do with the internet anyway?!!
Re: Firefox Tabbed Browsing Is Helping Scammers In Africa? by la1(m): 12:13pm On Jun 05, 2008
@ poster
seriously man what is your point? are we to boycott all browsers with tabbing faetures?and what is this your insistent  co relation btw tabbed browsing and AFRICAN SCAMMERS?is tabbed browsing unique to AFRICANS alone?whither do we go with this PERSONAL OPINION on a public forum o wizened and infallible custodian of internetiqette?i mean am down with free speech and all but good grief man! this kind of reasoning is capable of sending man kind spiralling back into pre intelligentia neaderthal age, Christ!
Re: Firefox Tabbed Browsing Is Helping Scammers In Africa? by makavele: 12:22pm On Jun 05, 2008
@poster

YOU REALLY MADE NO SENSE?
WAS TABBED BROWSING MADE FOR SCAMMERS IN AFRICA? YOU SEEM QUITE COMPUTER ILLITERATE
Re: Firefox Tabbed Browsing Is Helping Scammers In Africa? by olush0la(m): 12:27pm On Jun 05, 2008
Pointless. Clueless. Baseless. and Unwarranted.
Those are the words that readily come to mind.
@poster: its not compulsory for you to post on
Nairaland, especially if you've got no gist.

Haba!
Re: Firefox Tabbed Browsing Is Helping Scammers In Africa? by 2dyefor: 12:55pm On Jun 05, 2008
This is the most interesting thing i've seen today. So a complete slowpoke gets on nairaland, talks absolute balls and suddenly nairalanders are falling all over themselves to insult the guy. Whatever happened to "Pity for the Disabled/Handicapped?" It lowers you to his level when you bother to reply such an afflicted person. Oga Seun, i beg u to get rid of such "loose threads".
Re: Firefox Tabbed Browsing Is Helping Scammers In Africa? by chuckdee4(m): 1:44pm On Jun 05, 2008
@ poster

It looks like u just discovered the wonder of multi tabs grin
Re: Firefox Tabbed Browsing Is Helping Scammers In Africa? by cecegorz(m): 1:58pm On Jun 05, 2008
Well, that an ignorant entrant to the world of multi-tabbed browsers uses it as a topic is one thing, but that the ADMINISTRATOR now puts the topic on the home page s really ridiculous.

Seun, pls yank off that topic from the home page, it makes no sense.
Re: Firefox Tabbed Browsing Is Helping Scammers In Africa? by A2J(m): 2:05pm On Jun 05, 2008
oga o, one of the most ridiculous and interesting post i ever read on nairaland, ridiculous in the sense that it has no meaning, just a helpless,jobless guy trying to popularise his name by making useless posts and interesting in the sense that he wont admit to his stupidity.

@moderator,

Dont you have power to lock or delete some post?
Re: Firefox Tabbed Browsing Is Helping Scammers In Africa? by Novacaine(m): 2:41pm On Jun 05, 2008
Its just hilarious i mean why blame just tabbed browsing why not blame the entire invention of the internet.Calling the poster dumb is an understatement retarded is more like it

@poster
Next time make some more research before coming up with this hogwash
Re: Firefox Tabbed Browsing Is Helping Scammers In Africa? by revenge(m): 4:04pm On Jun 05, 2008
cool
@ poster ,
look are you a bad belle?
if one door close another one go open , na so dem don try make life better since when the internet came, but that was when the westerners became more MUGUS .ok
so if you think opening 20 windows of mozilla , is helping scammers well its kool , abi you no want make dem chop again?

so well talk about gmail and php mailers and also other search engines that provided emails

so you cant blame google inc for all this scams , it was there b4 gmail and mozilla came ok

thankxxxx
Re: Firefox Tabbed Browsing Is Helping Scammers In Africa? by uspry1(f): 4:39pm On Jun 05, 2008
A2J:

@moderator,

Dont you have power to lock or delete some post?

I do have my power to lock or delete some post. But @mambenanje just want to know what webmasters think about tabbed-browsing.

That is his entitled to hear their opinons.
Re: Firefox Tabbed Browsing Is Helping Scammers In Africa? by hanen(f): 4:40pm On Jun 05, 2008
@mambenanje

no offense o, but you're a dumbass. Every time i read a post from you, a little part of me dies inside, like SERIOUSLY Ppl think like this?
Re: Firefox Tabbed Browsing Is Helping Scammers In Africa? by Pain(m): 5:38pm On Jun 05, 2008
Association of People Trying to Appear Smart undecided APTAS

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Get Your Website Reviewed Here / Best Way To Download Videos On Youtube Without Softwares, Torrents, Plug-ins / Website Design Course In Niit. What Hope Do I Have For A First Class Lectures?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.