Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,657 members, 7,801,911 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:20 AM

How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? (37248 Views)

Staying Back After NYSC / Getting Job After NYSC: How Long Is Too Long? / CRAZY Things You Did While Hunting For Job After NYSC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by Nobody: 8:41pm On Aug 15, 2013
2 yrs. It was the toughest moment in my life. I trekked in this town and even begged for transportation most times those days. Job agents played me like a round leather ball. I was groomed for today.

Keep your head up if you are jobless, your moment will come.

6 Likes

Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by PHIPEX(m): 8:43pm On Aug 15, 2013
Started a job 2 weeks after service but without salary (just little commission) but I continued on it for the sake of experience and to keep myself busy. 4 months after service I landed a far better job, but the 3months experience from the first job became very helpful.

1 Like

Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by Phony200(m): 8:43pm On Aug 15, 2013
Retained at my PPA. So technically immediately. Got a full time role after 2 months in after my extended service. God's doing!

1 Like

Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by imuselee(m): 8:44pm On Aug 15, 2013
It all about patience and faith...Gods time is the best...Though mine was just 4 months after my service...donth ever Give up

1 Like

Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by Pretyangel25(f): 8:46pm On Aug 15, 2013
I strongly believe that after my NYSC it wont take me upto 6months to get a job because because i believe that my God will suprise me

1 Like

Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by Louis007: 8:48pm On Aug 15, 2013
3yrs n still counting.........Uncountable no of intrvws n test! God dey sha
Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by mkoabiola: 8:50pm On Aug 15, 2013
Stil on d search
Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by 4mula22(m): 8:50pm On Aug 15, 2013
k2039: I got mine before going for nysc (chevron).
cool...
na oga @ d top tins? wink

1 Like

Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by oolumide: 8:50pm On Aug 15, 2013
5months after and it was my first aptitude test but the process of recruitment to 4 months. Test was immediately after service. Chikena all glory to God.
Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by muzeze77: 8:51pm On Aug 15, 2013
Got my first Job 6 months before the end of my NYSC, i was lucky, My salary was 10 times my allowee
Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by aniffy4eva(m): 8:55pm On Aug 15, 2013
I got my first job with a Big4 accounting firm before i finished NYSC.
Some tips:
1) Start hunting while serving. Don't wait till you finish NYSC. The whole recruitment process takes a while so you want to get a head start.
2) Invest in GMAT,SHL etc and practice till you are extremely good at it. You must constantly be in "TOP" mode.
3) Read the Bible(for me) motivational books, industry-related literature, news journals etc.
4) Always expect opportunities to show up. Desire has a funny way of attracting such opportunities to you.
5) Don't piss off your allowance. You'll need it to finance your movement.
6) Money isn't the focus now. Learning is. Always learn, unlearn and relearn. The world is extremely dynamic and your thoughts must be as fluid as well.
7) And yea.. it really helps if you graduated with at least a 2.1. But if you didn't, just know that you'll have to work harder at the chances you get.

My 2 cents.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by FunkyJustice(m): 8:57pm On Aug 15, 2013
It tuk raufly 6months,doh is nt a main job bt is beter dan stayn idle,wit d 35k dey ofer i wil atleast nt run 2 anybdy wen in need,,God is our strent',we wil get der..

1 Like

Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by Buchianom(m): 9:01pm On Aug 15, 2013
Got mine two weeks after my POP, it only takes God to break d barriers; for those still searching I encourage U to enta into a covenant with God $ c hw HE wld surprise you.

2 Likes

Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by lifestyle1(m): 9:02pm On Aug 15, 2013
Can you provide the following ?

Name of Institution

The Course you studied

Your Class of degree

where you did your service. ( work experience )

and finally what are you doing NOW ?

Provide this info and you may get an offer here....

This is for those who are still searching...

2 Likes

Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by olawalebabs(m): 9:06pm On Aug 15, 2013
I did my first interview during my service year and got my letter a day to my POP. I can say am 'lucky', did not stay at home seeking for job.
Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by luckgood(m): 9:06pm On Aug 15, 2013
I got my job 1 n half month b4 P.O.P...a week after P.O.P like this,I resume work str8..Just managing tho' but I'm still hoping 4 better one. So,to every corper Gold in d house,your best year is just right in d corner.Keep ur faith alive n don't quit tryin!
Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by Gee2728(m): 9:07pm On Aug 15, 2013
Am a builder by practice, I been practicing privately since a day after my NYSC. I got a call a day(friday) after service and by monday iwas @ site. With God all things are possible.

2 Likes

Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by orgasticdance: 9:08pm On Aug 15, 2013
imuselee: It all about patience and faith...Gods time is the best...Though mine was just 4 months after my service...donth ever Give up
this is the sort of advice that irks me. its not about patience or gods time. this environment is skrewed up from the bottom up. a company declares a vakancy for ten people and 100,000 people apply and u say its about patience/gods time?? this economy is in the pits and is not churning enough jobs for its young people, period!! no amount of patience or faith will give ten percent of young nigerians decent jobs in the next forseeable future! my advice, if u don't have the wherewithal to create ur own job, there are more than a 101+ other countries in the world where ur skills and talents will be utiliized rather than frittering your most productive years in a rergessive and backward environment angry

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by chocofizzy(f): 9:08pm On Aug 15, 2013
shiloh: It took me 5months to get my first job. While there,I applied for another job and got it,worked with dem for 2yrs. Applied for a bank job while still @ d organisation n got it den resigned from dere. God has been good to me I must say. For those still searching,don't worry,God will do it,just kip praying n searching. It will come smiley
5months I got a job in a Bank though Ȋ̝̊̅§ a marketing tin sha but I have to manage this till I get another one. God will Ơ̴̴͡.̮Ơ̴̴̴͡ us through IJN, Amen!
Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by Nobody: 9:10pm On Aug 15, 2013
2weeks, but i actually quit a job to get another, so actually, wasnt really out of jobs or job offers
Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by deeptesting(m): 9:10pm On Aug 15, 2013
@OP and those searching for job,just dont give up...Do not concentrate on the pay just focus on how to get something doing,as they say the beginning is always the most difficult...Me no search for job oooo,after NYSC father moved on to the other side of life,quickly,quickly he was comitted to mother earth and i got my share of inheritance...Na so life take start for me and now i be employer with employees....

1 Like

Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by FunnyPikincom(m): 9:11pm On Aug 15, 2013
Five Solid Years embarassed embarassed cry cry Until i discover My Talent as a Comedian and Blogger...Now, Im one of the Most Popular Nigerian Comedian on Facebook, if You doubt me, seach My Name Funny Pikin On Google.....
Alhamdulillahi.....Thunder Fire Poverty

Bro and sister, stop looking for Job, the Job is in you,it only you that can discover it....Dont sit down, Read books, search internet for tips, think of what you like to do, and MAY GOD ASSIST YOU....

7 Likes

Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by prolineclassy(m): 9:11pm On Aug 15, 2013
God will help us all,bt try start sometin no mata hww small,as for me i save moni during my service yr nd dat help me now dat am no more servicing,doing biz wit de moni i save then
Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by Engineer1985(m): 9:12pm On Aug 15, 2013
I will advice Nigerian graduates to develop enterpreneural skills rather than wait for a job. There are very few jobs in Nigeria and only people with oga's at the top get it. In 2011 when I finishd my nysc, I decided to create a blog cos I new it will be hard to get a job with the level of unemployment in Nigeria and today by God's grace I make close to what most bankers get on a monthly bases. So I'm encouraging all graduates to create jobs for themselves rather than wait for government.

2 Likes

Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by PStacks(m): 9:13pm On Aug 15, 2013
Obinoscopy: Don't worry, ur day of glory is coming. Just remain focused in your job search, God will surprise u very soon wink.

Y should people search for Jobs.. There are a billion and one things under the sun on the surface of this earth that can be done.. White collar jobs are nowhere, we know what kind of country we live in..

People should stop asking what this Un-able Nigeria can do for them instead start thinking what they can do for this Nigeria..

I wasn't born with a silver spoon but very lucky to have registered a Company under the coporate affairs commission of Nigeria when I was in 300 level in school. In russia, a 24 year old boy owns a bank, u can google it, its share lazyness to just want to follow the band wagon to search for a Job u and I know is not available. Be proactive, do something for yourself.. It is the work in your hands God would bless, not necesarily Govt job or Bank jobs.

This job hunting mentality makes people redundant. Just start something, anything at all, you won't believe the amount of Magic you'v got in you.

6 Likes

Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by Menendez: 9:14pm On Aug 15, 2013
Passed out by 12 noon on a thursday...got my employment letter by 09:42am on friday morning. Only God can do such...

1 Like

Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by teejayeya(m): 9:14pm On Aug 15, 2013
I feel you pain bro but mine was 2yrs at a point I had to work for free just to get myself busy but what I will advise you is this get busy and build up your cv the worst you can do to yourself is to be idle and if you are confident enough dress well and go to organisations and ask for the HR and market yourself if they ask you at the gate is it official? tell them yes and submit there companies collect cv even if there is no vacancies it is called unsolicited applications and please pray prayers works wonders and on a last note network yourself coz your social circles are your best bet I wish you the very best.

1 Like

Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by michaelokoi(m): 9:16pm On Aug 15, 2013
I got my job after six (6) mnths of p.o.p. It wasnt easy within those 6 mnths. Patience and prayers solved it all
Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by Blessmira: 9:16pm On Aug 15, 2013
caspet: It took me almost 8 months but thank God,i got a big fish...It's the Lord's doing...!!!

Hop d fish is not Pecu. Or is it a cat fish? wink Lol
Happy 4 u !
Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by thegrinch(m): 9:16pm On Aug 15, 2013
Never had to look for a Job. i work for me. I'll advise more people to go that route.
Re: How Long After NYSC Did You Get A Job? by OkochiZico(m): 9:18pm On Aug 15, 2013
8 worrisome months
I thank God for where I am and where He is taking me to.

I pray all job-seekers will land their dream jobs pretty soon.

AMEN, but not by relaxing @ home and believing God. Pls reach out, also make ur cv handy to friends.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Which State Has A Lot Of Job Opportunities And Low Cost Of Living? / NDLEA Aptitude Test / Togolese Are Taking Away Our Jobs By Azuka Onwuka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.