Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,046 members, 7,799,538 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 April 2024 at 12:16 AM

ASUU Demanded For N87B & Not N92B As Reported By Okonjo-Iweala - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Demanded For N87B & Not N92B As Reported By Okonjo-Iweala (14088 Views)

FUTA Student Who Was Reported Missing Found. See What Happened. Photos / Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Demanded For N87B & Not N92B As Reported By Okonjo-Iweala by Cmeo(m): 5:06am On Aug 15, 2013
The Academic Staff Union of Universities has described as a misrepresentation of facts, the comment made by the Co-ordinating Minister of the Economy and Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, that the striking university lecturers  demanded N92 billion as earned allowances in the 2009 agreement.

According to the union, which spoke through the Chairman, University of Ibadan chapter, Dr. Olusegun Ajiboye, the Federal Government and the minister are not telling the truth.

In a statement, the union said: “I want Nigerians to ask the minister where she got her figure of N92 billion from. There was never a time that ASUU made a demand that is up to N92 billion. I think the 92 billion naira is just the imagination of the Minister of Finance and Co-ordinating Minister of the Economy.”

Dr. Ajiboye clarified the issue noting that the earned allowances jointly calculated with the Federal Government and ASUU in the 2009 agreement was N87 billion and it covers allowances for three and a half years for thousands of lecturers in Nigerian universities.

Minister of Finance, Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala
He stressed that the N87 billion was a compromise made by ASUU by scaling down from N127 billion to N87 billion.
The university lecturer urged Nigerians to say no to people whom he said were bent on destroying public institutions.
He said: “This is a government that signed an agreement with us on January 24, 2012 to the effect that they would inject N100 billion as funding into the universities in the first one month and that before the end of 2012, they would inject another N300 billion. The same government did not put down a kobo to any of these universities.

“So, it is a sad story that we are hearing now that the government cannot meet a demand of N87 billion whereas the government said that they would keep on putting N400 billion annually for three years consecutively to the tune of about N1.2 trillion. If the government is now saying it cannot meet N87billion, Nigerians should know that this is not a government that can be trusted for anything.

“The total amount of earned allowances for academic staff in Nigerian universities for the three and a half years computed together with the government was N87 billion. And that was agreed based on negotiations because we started from N127billion and it was reduced to N107 billion before we now got to 15 percent of salary payment of each person. It is called earned allowances and it is the sum total of the excess work which academic staff had done for the past three and a half years. You are now telling Nigerians that this is what these people are asking for as if it’s a new thing. Nigerians should know that it is what the people have worked for and not N92 billion. It is fallacy and what these people (federal government) are just pushing is propaganda.”

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/08/ASUU-faults-okonjo-iweala-over-n92bn-demand-by-union/

OP's comment: I am not saying they shouldn't be paid o but they must show the result of these overtime first to justify the 87 Billion overtime allowance they demand.

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Demanded For N87B & Not N92B As Reported By Okonjo-Iweala by 234GT(m): 5:41am On Aug 15, 2013
The minister should come out and tell us that ASUU is not saying the truth. Where did she get her own figures from? Was it a slip of tongue? Was she trying to add five billion naira to intentionally? Or is a Havard product finding it hard to do simple maths?

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Demanded For N87B & Not N92B As Reported By Okonjo-Iweala by Tsmooth1(m): 5:52am On Aug 15, 2013
Abeg
make ASUU continue strike till ol d graduates weh de ground get job
1st. All dis 20yrs old boys/girls wan graduate come de brush shoulder with
them bros abi? ASUU we (me & seun) are fully behind u.

27 Likes

Re: ASUU Demanded For N87B & Not N92B As Reported By Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 5:59am On Aug 15, 2013
what difference does dat make? just go back to the classroom and stop being self centred

7 Likes

Re: ASUU Demanded For N87B & Not N92B As Reported By Okonjo-Iweala by Idokojimmy: 6:35am On Aug 15, 2013
What in Christ name is the meaning of excess work load when people abusy looking for jobs everywhere? That a lecturer supervises 10 students, that trannslates to excess? How many do they want in d firrst place? One?

Nigerians should be wise abeg. Billions upon billions on allowance, salary nko?

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Demanded For N87B & Not N92B As Reported By Okonjo-Iweala by HaffeezMahmud(m): 7:09am On Aug 15, 2013
Ngozi tell us ASUU is lieing. Promise without fulfilment absolutely rubbish

1 Like

Re: ASUU Demanded For N87B & Not N92B As Reported By Okonjo-Iweala by rozayx5(m): 7:26am On Aug 15, 2013
T-smooth:
Abeg
make ASUU continue strike till ol d graduates weh de ground get job
1st
. All dis 20yrs old boys/girls wan graduate come de brush shoulder with
them bros abi? ASUU we (me & seun) are fully behind u.
grin grin grin
Re: ASUU Demanded For N87B & Not N92B As Reported By Okonjo-Iweala by kokoA(m): 7:28am On Aug 15, 2013
The two parties are not being sincere.
Re: ASUU Demanded For N87B & Not N92B As Reported By Okonjo-Iweala by Demdem(m): 7:40am On Aug 15, 2013
And again, the fog-eyed minister Lied. Now becoming a trend.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Demanded For N87B & Not N92B As Reported By Okonjo-Iweala by Amanwulu1(m): 7:43am On Aug 15, 2013
come o, so this people aren't ashamed to confirm they are demanding extra N87-92b on top of their salaries and allowances. D minister hasn't misquoted anybody because if d fg can pay 87 den they can pay N97B. Let ASUU stp being selfish n re-negtiate cos dis govt has greater chalenges dan d ones they held to ransome in 2009.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Demanded For N87B & Not N92B As Reported By Okonjo-Iweala by CrimzP(m): 7:56am On Aug 15, 2013
ASUU are you sure this strike is for the good of the universities or for the 87billion naira allowance. I thought they would even say they didn't ask for the 87billion increase in allowance. I hope if they eventually give them this allowance increase, they would subsidies the allowances student pay them in the form of handouts and blocking before you pass. Because I know they can never totally remove it, but only subsidies it.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Demanded For N87B & Not N92B As Reported By Okonjo-Iweala by gerald09(m): 8:12am On Aug 15, 2013
Nigerian students n youth are very very lousy. How can u students n youth sit @ home and watch ur future go down d drain. For d past weeks now ASUU has bin on strike n no student or youth (no single 1) has come out to protest dese unlawful, discrimination. I have bibn waiting to hear "BREAKING NEWS the Nigerian Student has taking over Abuja, Lagos and other part of country to Protest dese unlawful Discrimination". These old people have all sentenced there future to failure wit no chance of parole n dey are planning on taking every youth down wif them. Well make una sit down dere and wait for d whiteman or for a miracle to happen while NOI and ur ASUU people use una play suwe.

7 Likes

Re: ASUU Demanded For N87B & Not N92B As Reported By Okonjo-Iweala by Dereformer(m): 8:59am On Aug 15, 2013
Is state university lecturers included in the determination of the #87b allowance? If not why are they part of the strike?

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Demanded For N87B & Not N92B As Reported By Okonjo-Iweala by Sicozone(m): 9:02am On Aug 15, 2013
I've always known from the start that ASUU were doing this in their own interest. ASUU please tell us in full details wtf is earned allowance,what is it that you're fighting for. We students have sacrificed our years in this series of strike all in the name of your own earned allowance yet you people are not ready to sacrifice a dime,u keep telling us u reached a compromise,but it was never in the interest of University students and yet the lecturers will come back to class and tell us to start buying textbooks,manuals and handout at an outrageous amount and they have a gross profit all in their own selfish interest. I hope this so called implemented 100 billion naira in the name of infrastructure will be optimally utilized or maybe it will hang in the air at the end of the day and our universities keep defragmenting. They should please stop all this crap and call us back to classes. Sincerely i applaud FG for haven done something tangible. All they need is to do better as the day goes by. Despite the corruption of this leaders,if a world known finance expert says they can't implement that amount,i think she's been realistic......ASUU PLEASE TAKE NOTE!!!

4 Likes

Re: ASUU Demanded For N87B & Not N92B As Reported By Okonjo-Iweala by tobechi20(m): 9:21am On Aug 15, 2013
What is d diffrence b/w 92 and 87million? Aasu no dey shame..they still get mouth to talk....l

1 Like

Re: ASUU Demanded For N87B & Not N92B As Reported By Okonjo-Iweala by Pedagogue: 9:29am On Aug 15, 2013
* Okonjo lost my long held respect because of her comments during the fuel subsidy imbroglio ...Now, she has lost ALL my respect!!!

* Regardless of whatever,OKonjo's posture is really inhumane...Someone that knows the value of education would naturally be expected to be careful when the issue of universities strike is being discussed!!!
**But not the mother of Harvard trained children..! She simply said Nigeria cannot afford to meet the demands of ASUU- and that is all !!!
** Okonjo,the most powerful Nigerian Minister ever,never saw anything wrong in Patience Jonathan's plan to launder billions of naira on a meaningless First Lady's building
** She equally never saw anything wrong in the billions of naira that the President marked for food in the villa
** Our very own Okonjo IWEALA has also not said the country cannot afford to pay ministers,senators,aides and other cronies their FAT salaries and allowances

*Nevertheless,like I said when ASUU announced their wicked strike, it's a self seeking strike...not for the betterment of Nigerian students nay universities!

*ASUU is the principal reason why the quality of our varsities is going down the rain- OR can anyone tell me that sex for mark lecturers,20k for 'B' lecturers and handout selling lecturers are better than our thieving politicians? Hell no! They are SAME OF SAME.
Nigerian students,know ye that your emancipation lies not in one selfish and greedy association called ASUU neither does it lie in thieving and wicked politicians...BUT your liberation can only come when you tell d govt that enough is enough!!!

D youths of any nation can do and undo...But how can Nigerian youths salvage their destiny when they always identify with the simpleton rubrics of ethnicity,religion and politicians stipends?

18 Likes

Re: ASUU Demanded For N87B & Not N92B As Reported By Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 9:32am On Aug 15, 2013
Which ever d amount,let dem Ĵΰ§τ̅ call off d strike sooner.
Re: ASUU Demanded For N87B & Not N92B As Reported By Okonjo-Iweala by ayodeji752: 9:33am On Aug 15, 2013
ASUU and federal govt should go and sit down. Greedy ppl
Re: ASUU Demanded For N87B & Not N92B As Reported By Okonjo-Iweala by tobechi20(m): 9:34am On Aug 15, 2013
gerald09: Nigerian students n youth are very very lousy. How can u students n youth sit @ home and watch ur future go down d drain. For d past weeks now ASUU has bin on strike n no student or youth (no single 1) has come out to protest dese unlawful, discrimination. I have bibn waiting to hear "BREAKING NEWS the Nigerian Student has taking over Abuja, Lagos and other part of country to Protest dese unlawful Discrimination". These old people have all sentenced there future to failure wit no chance of parole n dey are planning on taking every youth down wif them. Well make una sit down dere and wait for d whiteman or for a miracle to happen while NOI and ur ASUU people use una play suwe.

shut up, protest hsve been done twice in lagos.....u arent currennt

studennts would have protested more but they are not in support of aasu selfish aim
Re: ASUU Demanded For N87B & Not N92B As Reported By Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 9:35am On Aug 15, 2013
May Almighty God continue to Bless my Alma-mater ..... Better by Far..... Probitas Doctrina for not Joining Mofo ASUU !!!

ASUU .... What is ASUU self ..... Bunch of people that keep promoting poor educational system in Nigeria !!!
Whaaaaat ..... 87billion naira kwa, what is the difference from 92billion .........!!!

When will ASUU go on strike for 87billion to be ejected into infastructural development of Higher academic institution in Nigeria!!!

ASUU also contributes to the woe of Educational sector by holding students into ransom on yearly basis ....... Just for the damning allowance !!!

God Bless Probitas Doctrina......One and Only ...... !!!

ASUU tongue

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Demanded For N87B & Not N92B As Reported By Okonjo-Iweala by hrykanu231(m): 9:35am On Aug 15, 2013
Earned allowances for collecting "sorting" and frustrating Nigerian students. God pass them all
Re: ASUU Demanded For N87B & Not N92B As Reported By Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 9:36am On Aug 15, 2013
ASUU and Federal GOV'T has come 2 an Agreement this morning. The agreement terms were as follws, 72 student VIRGINS, 33 white Cock,one keg of palm oil,4 white chalk and 11 tubers of yam... students and lecturers are to resume lectures in d next 3 eke market days.. All the above named items has been procured except for the 72 student virgins. Not even one was found!

10 Likes

Re: ASUU Demanded For N87B & Not N92B As Reported By Okonjo-Iweala by herkeym001(m): 9:36am On Aug 15, 2013
Why FG no wan release the money, wetin ASUU self wan use the money do?
Re: ASUU Demanded For N87B & Not N92B As Reported By Okonjo-Iweala by emmanuel4758(m): 9:37am On Aug 15, 2013
for what ? No much diferent chai ASUU make una pity naija nah una tink say gej hav enough kwudi and stil go to china to borrow money abeg make una suspend dis strike after all some people never see garri drink una stil dey ask federal govt to increase una salary is dat nt greedy..
Re: ASUU Demanded For N87B & Not N92B As Reported By Okonjo-Iweala by ceejay80: 9:38am On Aug 15, 2013
She wan embezzle the remaining money

1 Like

Re: ASUU Demanded For N87B & Not N92B As Reported By Okonjo-Iweala by Soso990240(m): 9:40am On Aug 15, 2013
Whats d difference? ..Greed i see u!
Re: ASUU Demanded For N87B & Not N92B As Reported By Okonjo-Iweala by seangy4konji: 9:42am On Aug 15, 2013
What future have they got after the universitystop deceiving your self.how many people get employed afterwards.maybe 5 percent.no decieve urself o
gerald09: Nigerian students n youth are very very lousy. How can u students n youth sit @ home and watch ur future go down d drain. For d past weeks now ASUU has bin on strike n no student or youth (no single 1) has come out to protest dese unlawful, discrimination. I have bibn waiting to hear "BREAKING NEWS the Nigerian Student has taking over Abuja, Lagos and other part of country to Protest dese unlawful Discrimination". These old people have all sentenced there future to failure wit no chance of parole n dey are planning on taking every youth down wif them. Well make una sit down dere and wait for d whiteman or for a miracle to happen while NOI and ur ASUU people use una play suwe.
Re: ASUU Demanded For N87B & Not N92B As Reported By Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 9:42am On Aug 15, 2013
it was 87b in 2009 and 92b in 2013. fg is right. ASUU is lying. bunch of thieves and sex offenders.
Re: ASUU Demanded For N87B & Not N92B As Reported By Okonjo-Iweala by Maxymilliano(m): 9:42am On Aug 15, 2013
The government should as a matter of urgency enforce the No Work No Pay order ...
Re: ASUU Demanded For N87B & Not N92B As Reported By Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 9:43am On Aug 15, 2013
Lols..I know what I faced back at ABSU, coupled with Uturu crises et all. No wonder na small-small children just dey rush go Open University this dayzz...
Re: ASUU Demanded For N87B & Not N92B As Reported By Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 9:43am On Aug 15, 2013
hrykanu231: Earned allowances for collecting "sorting" and frustrating Nigerian students. God pass them all
True talk! THOSE LECTURERS ARE MONSTERS, THEY DONT DESERVE ANYTHING! OLE!
Re: ASUU Demanded For N87B & Not N92B As Reported By Okonjo-Iweala by Memyselfu2009(m): 9:44am On Aug 15, 2013
Am.tired of.this ASUU shit

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

West African Union University, Cotonou, Benin Rep / End In Sight For ASUU Strike As Govt, Union Agree On Seven Areas / Uniport Post Utme 2017/2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.