Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,794 members, 7,802,527 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:56 PM

What Can You Say? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Can You Say? (1216 Views)

Things Sex Can Make You Say Unknowingly / Before You Say "I Do" Test Drive The Engine / Will You Say ‘yes’ Without An Engagement Ring? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Can You Say? by Rebellious(f): 7:00pm On Jun 05, 2008
Hey people. I have a relatively close friend who was dating this guy. For a number of reasons, I never really liked her boyfriend and I spoke to some of our friends about it and they felt the same way about it. So we tried to talk to her about him and let her know we don't like him but she read it to mean we were hating on their relationship and wanted to tear them apart.

Gradually, her friendship with the rest of us started to wear out. Soon, we never saw her at any of the events we usually went to together and stuff and the only news we'd hear about her is what others told us. I knew exactly what was going on; she had allowed that dude to control her but I couldn't do anything about it except pray for the best for her. Soon enough as you would guess, he broke up with her after 8 months of their relationship. She called last evening begging me to spend the night. It was awkward because this was someone would I hadn't spoken to for a while.

Anyway, I went there and started consoling her while she went on and on about how stupid she felt and how the guy didn't like us and how she tried to make him happy. I completely understood how she felt until she said she that with all the pain she's feeling inside, she might as well take her life. I was scared for her and did not trust her alone so I moved her to my apartment with some of her stuff and my friends and I have been trying to reason with her and care for her.

So, what exactly can you say to someone who's going through an emotional crisis like this?

1 Like

Re: What Can You Say? by Seun(m): 7:07pm On Jun 05, 2008
It's what you do, not what you say. Just be there for her, that's all. Being there is under-rated.
Re: What Can You Say? by sistawoman: 7:11pm On Jun 05, 2008
I would just reason with her that taking her life is selfish.  It is selfish to all those left behind and taking her life is not going to get that man back.

My god i have so been there where she is right now.  When my 5 year relationship ended I thought the world was going to crash in on me (I loved that man more than my ex-husband).  But it gets better, it really does.  What pulled me thru my darkest times were/are my children w/o them i honestly dont know where i would be today.

She will be in my prayers

Sista
Re: What Can You Say? by 9cent(m): 7:13pm On Jun 05, 2008
crap,
Re: What Can You Say? by LadyT(f): 7:17pm On Jun 05, 2008
Nothing you can say. Its amazing what time can do. Its hurts so much now but in a few months the pain will lessen.
Re: What Can You Say? by Seun(m): 7:20pm On Jun 05, 2008
I would just reason with her that taking her life is selfish.
She is depressed because of rejection and your solution is accusation? That is why I say don't say anything. Most people are not capable of saying anything helpful to a hurting person. That's why we have trained professionals like shrinks. Most of the things you might want to say won't help one bit.
Re: What Can You Say? by webguru(m): 7:25pm On Jun 05, 2008
wow, what can i say?

tell her God loves her more and she should cry her tears on his shoulder

she shld take this time to draw closer to God

something tells me she's nt so close to God
Re: What Can You Say? by LadyT(f): 7:27pm On Jun 05, 2008
I personally dont think suicide is selfish. I think its shocking that someone hits so low they feel they need to kill themselves its truely awful.
Re: What Can You Say? by sistawoman: 7:29pm On Jun 05, 2008
Seun:

She is depressed because of rejection and your solution is accusation? That is why I say don't say anything. Most people are not capable of saying anything helpful to a hurting person. That's why we have trained professionals like shrinks. Most of the things you might want to say won't help one bit.

Actully Seun for me that is what has kept me from doing it myself. Thinking of how selfish it would be to my children to do that.
Re: What Can You Say? by DaPhoenix(f): 9:47pm On Jun 05, 2008
I think the poster needs more thoughts on this because it sounds like a serious issue.
Re: What Can You Say? by beauteous(f): 10:02pm On Jun 05, 2008
lmao. . .
Re: What Can You Say? by DaPhoenix(f): 10:03pm On Jun 05, 2008
cheesy I love the poster so much that I had to help her revive her topic.
Re: What Can You Say? by Nobody: 10:05pm On Jun 05, 2008
i can feel d love phoenix
Re: What Can You Say? by beauteous(f): 10:07pm On Jun 05, 2008
me too.nd im sure u knw y i laffed
Re: What Can You Say? by SweetT1: 12:51pm On Jun 07, 2008
LadyT:

Nothing you can say. Its amazing what time can do. Its hurts so much now but in a few months the pain will lessen.

Spoken like a true veteran. Poster you better listen to this woman, she is talking from experience. Experience has taught her that time heals all her broken heart (which is like every 6 months anyways grin). Lady T, pele.
Re: What Can You Say? by SweetT1: 12:54pm On Jun 07, 2008
beauteous:

me too.nd im sure u knw y i laffed

@welli

I knew your mouth will get you into trouble sooner or later and it's good that all sharp tongues gets banned.
Re: What Can You Say? by Nobody: 4:08am On Apr 25, 2010
and how is she now?
Re: What Can You Say? by kpolli(m): 1:17pm On Apr 26, 2010
sorry to say, i feel u ppl (her friends) started all this, my own opinion.
Re: What Can You Say? by Nobody: 1:32pm On Apr 26, 2010
^^^ How come? What did her friends do wrong undecided
Re: What Can You Say? by kpolli(m): 1:39pm On Apr 26, 2010
first they told her the fact that they didnt like her friends (plus she never said y, so am to assume he didnt do anything wrong), if i was in the guy's shoes, i wud break up wit her after a while cos when a gfs friends r against u, u cant go anywhere
Re: What Can You Say? by Nobody: 3:11pm On Apr 26, 2010
kpolli:

first they told her the fact that they didnt like her friends (plus she never said y, so am to assume he didnt do anything wrong), if i was in the guy's shoes, i wud break up wit her after a while cos when a gfs friends r against u, u cant go anywhere

She abandonde her friends because of him. What more could she have done

Just because she didnt go into why they didnt like the guy doesnt mean they didnt have good reasons. As her friends, they owe her the responsibility of telling her these things. They say love is blind, but your friends are your eyes.

Obviously they were right, which explains why after 8months of derailing, she came back to them! undecided
Re: What Can You Say? by kpolli(m): 8:20am On Apr 27, 2010
if am dating a girl n i find out all her friends dont like me, even if she leaves all of them, i wud have to free her, but she should tell us why they didnt like him
Re: What Can You Say? by fubiluv: 8:52am On Apr 27, 2010
Tell her that she deserves more.
That the guy is not worthy her tears and stress.
She should thank God for saving her from the Punishment (that Guy).
Therefore she should smile that Jesus loves her.
Re: What Can You Say? by Youngpo413: 12:30pm On Oct 23, 2014
Rebellious:
Hey people. I have a relatively close friend who was dating this guy. For a number of reasons, I never really liked her boyfriend and I spoke to some of our friends about it and they felt the same way about it. So we tried to talk to her about him and let her know we don't like him but she read it to mean we were hating on their relationship and wanted to tear them apart.

Gradually, her friendship with the rest of us started to wear out. Soon, we never saw her at any of the events we usually went to together and stuff and the only news we'd hear about her is what others told us. I knew exactly what was going on; she had allowed that dude to control her but I couldn't do anything about it except pray for the best for her. Soon enough as you would guess, he broke up with her after 8 months of their relationship. She called last evening begging me to spend the night. It was awkward because this was someone would I hadn't spoken to for a while.

Anyway, I went there and started consoling her while she went on and on about how stupid she felt and how the guy didn't like us and how she tried to make him happy. I completely understood how she felt until she said she that with all the pain she's feeling inside, she might as well take her life. I was scared for her and did not trust her alone so I moved her to my apartment with some of her stuff and my friends and I have been trying to reason with her and care for her.

So, what exactly can you say to someone who's going through an emotional crisis like this?

she should go and fuccckkk herself!

(1) (Reply)

She Likes To Sleep In Hotels. Is She Cheating on Me? / Wats An Open Relationship? / I Love Her,but She Is Not Strait Forward

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.