Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,398 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:28 AM

Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance (4671 Views)

Catholism- Focus On Relics / My Problem With Catholism-An Introspection / 5 Reasons Why Catholism Is Not Christian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance by babestell(f): 12:55pm On Aug 31, 2013
So I just returned from a long retreat organised by Opus Dei in one of their centers and the topic of mortification was discussed at almost all the meditation sessions. Mortification is one of the tools by which a christian may achieve sanctity/holiness. Remembering that our Lord enjoined us to be holy as our heavenly Father is holy. Other tools are constant prayer, dedication in our everyday activities, etc.

Saints are said to be people who did ordinary things in an extraordinary way. We too can aspire to be saints and thats where mortification comes in. St Jose Maria Escriva founder of Opus Dei wrote "don't say that person gets on my nerve rather say that person sanctifies (mortifies) me" we all know people who annoy us or get on our nerves or make us want to scream, as a mortification we can decide to be patient with such people, to be kind to them or to even have a conversation with them ( as long as it is not an occasion of sin). In our hearts we don't want to but because of love of GOD and a desire to become closer to him we do it and we offer it up as a prayer intention. As we continue in such practices after a while it may become 2nd nature and u find yourself doing it with ease. This is just an example. Another example might be to decide to do our jobs or normal daily tasks with more passion/love than we ordinarily do offering the extra effort as a prayer to Our Father in heaven.

St Jose also said "choose mortifications that don't mortify others" a mortification is a personal decision/action and we shouldn't make others suffer because we choose too. (I think parents should be exempt cos they have to train the kids.....just me talking sha). Now The Church teaches that not all suffering is bad, sometimes we need to suffer for the sake of a greater reward eg a student spending more time reading in order to pass an exam, and thats how we should view mortification, suffering this earthly body a little so that the spiritual being is more united with God, because it is usually in the midst of pain that we find it easier to put all trust in GOD.

Mortification must be done with LOVE: Love of God and of our neighbour if not we would just be like the pharisees who follow letter if the law without living the spirit of the law. It is good to attach a prayer intention as well.

I hope I made sense sha. Anyone have anything else to add
Re: Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance by Syncan(m): 1:23pm On Aug 31, 2013
babestell: So I just returned from a long retreat organised by Opus Dei in one of their centers and the topic of mortification was discussed at almost all the meditation sessions. Mortification is one of the tools by which a christian may achieve sanctity/holiness. Remembering that our Lord enjoined us to be holy as our heavenly Father is holy. Other tools are constant prayer, dedication in our everyday activities, etc.

Saints are said to be people who did ordinary things in an extraordinary way. We too can aspire to be saints and thats where mortification comes in. St Jose Maria Escriva founder of Opus Dei wrote "don't say that person gets on my nerve rather say that person sanctifies (mortifies) me" we all know people who annoy us or get on our nerves or make us want to scream, as a mortification we can decide to be patient with such people, to be kind to them or to even have a conversation with them ( as long as it is not an occasion of sin). In our hearts we don't want to but because of love of GOD and a desire to become closer to him we do it and we offer it up as a prayer intention. As we continue in such practices after a while it may become 2nd nature and u find yourself doing it with ease. This is just an example. Another example might be to decide to do our jobs or normal daily tasks with more passion/love than we ordinarily do offering the extra effort as a prayer to Our Father in heaven.

St Jose also said "choose mortifications that don't mortify others" a mortification is a personal decision/action and we shouldn't make others suffer because we choose too. (I think parents should be exempt cos they have to train the kids.....just me talking sha). Now The Church teaches that not all suffering is bad, sometimes we need to suffer for the sake of a greater reward eg a student spending more time reading in order to pass an exam, and thats how we should view mortification, suffering this earthly body a little so that the spiritual being is more united with God, because it is usually in the midst of pain that we find it easier to put all trust in GOD.

Mortification must be done with LOVE: Love of God and of our neighbour if not we would just be like the pharisees who follow letter if the law without living the spirit of the law. It is good to attach a prayer intention as well.

May you be richly rewarded for sharing a part of your retreat with us. You made much sense.
Re: Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance by italo: 1:37pm On Aug 31, 2013
Not much to add. I'm just glad to know that you went to a retreat. I pray God grants you many spiritual and material favours...both temporal and eternal.

St JoseMaria Escriva's book "The Way" was very intrumental in making me deepen my spiritual life because part of his outlook was that sanctity is a normal state. It's not so abstract. It is not for priests alone. The saints were not superheroes from another planet. You can be a saint right where you are. Just do everything with love for God and love for man. If you are a musical artiste, you can avoid the nudity and obscenity that others will not avoid...you can sing exclusively christian songs if the pop culture wont accept a decent artiste. If you are a business person, charge a fair price. Remind your customers if they forget their change with you. Do not restrict yourself to scheduled vocal prayer but let your daily activities be a continual prayer. E.g if you enter a bus and the conductor is being rude...suppress that urge to insult him because of God. That is prayer. When your gateman greets you, respond with love and a smile and even a gentle touch on the shoulder because he is God's son. When your friends gossip about someone, resist the urge to say the nasty things you know. If you cannot say nice things, remain silent. This even reminds me all too well that I am FAAÀAAAARRR from being a saint. How many times have I insulted people on nairaland when I should have avoided it with God's grace.

Sanctity is in the little things of every moment.

May the good Lord help us to cooperate with his grace and be SAINTS. Amen.

Did I say I had "not much to add?"

Lol
Re: Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance by Ubenedictus(m): 8:04pm On Aug 31, 2013
babestell: So I just returned from a long retreat organised by Opus Dei in one of their centers and the topic of mortification was discussed at almost all the meditation sessions. Mortification is one of the tools by which a christian may achieve sanctity/holiness. Remembering that our Lord enjoined us to be holy as our heavenly Father is holy. Other tools are constant prayer, dedication in our everyday activities, etc.

weldone dear, beautiful! I alway liked st jose emphasis on santity according to our state in life, great post 100likes
Re: Catholism- Focus On Mortification And Penance by Ubenedictus(m): 8:10pm On Aug 31, 2013
italo: Not much to add. I'm just glad to know that you went to a retreat. I pray God grants you many spiritual and material favours...both temporal and eternal.

St JoseMaria Escriva's book "The Way" was very intrumental in making me deepen my spiritual life because part of his outlook was that sanctity is a normal state. It's not so abstract. It is not for priests alone. The saints were not superheroes from another planet. You can be a saint right where you are. Just do everything with love for God and love for man. If you are a musical artiste, you can avoid the nudity and obscenity that others will not avoid...you can sing exclusively christian songs if the pop culture wont accept a decent artiste. If you are a business person, charge a fair price. Remind your customers if they forget their change with you. Do not restrict yourself to scheduled vocal prayer but let your daily activities be a continual prayer. E.g if you enter a bus and the conductor is being rude...suppress that urge to insult him because of God. That is prayer. When your gateman greets you, respond with love and a smile and even a gentle touch on the shoulder because he is God's son. When your friends gossip about someone, resist the urge to say the nasty things you know. If you cannot say nice things, remain silent. This even reminds me all too well that I am FAAÀAAAARRR from being a saint. How many times have I insulted people on nairaland when I should have avoided it with God's grace.

Sanctity is in the little things of every moment.

May the good Lord help us to cooperate with his grace and be SAINTS. Amen.

Did I say I had "not much to add?"

Lol
interesting, i thought i was the only one who benefited from reading that book.
Maybe with continous practice u may gain mastery over those urges

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Man, The Message And The Mandate / Did Anyone (DEAD/LIVING) Witnessed Evolution Or The Big B@ng? / Why Many Pastors Will Go To Hell – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.