Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,904 members, 7,802,933 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:03 AM

Why Not Create Web Services And Web Apps? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why Not Create Web Services And Web Apps? (849 Views)

I Need Someone To Teach Me How To Create Web-site / How Do I Create Web Email In Dreamweaver? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Not Create Web Services And Web Apps? by ThePhantom(m): 11:00am On Jun 06, 2008
I have been visiting Nairaland for a few months now and one thing I notice are people trying to showoff their website (another forum, another Portfolio site etc). Where are the innovations, where are the web services and the web apps. I believe there are some talent people here, don't you think it is time we get out of the phase "Check my web design" and move to more innovative ideas?
Re: Why Not Create Web Services And Web Apps? by Afam(m): 11:20am On Jun 06, 2008
Well stated.

Web applications will ultimately take over web designs as more and more clients demand more from their websites.

Quite a number of Nigerians are into web design when they should be going into programming for the following reason

A web designer cannot replicate a web application if he/she does not have programming skills

A web programmer can replicate a good website for a client even if he/she is not a web designer by simply changing colors and layouts.
Re: Why Not Create Web Services And Web Apps? by mambenanje(m): 11:34am On Jun 06, 2008
well well well,
when you go to Rome do what the Romans do wink
when I came in here I realised guys always post review or new forums they just installed, and when you post something worth an argument all they do is insult you cheesy  [insults cant change people when they believe in themselves wink]
I also support Afam because most webmasters here don't have the skills in programming, they just use any software and patch up html and pictures and host, finally we get a website review.
I personally think its time we start thinking of things like organising events ( barcamps ), business strategies for webmasters, web programming and things like Ajax programmig, infact the forum should go from mere design to Technical stuffs in DHTML, XHTML, XML, JSON, better scripting practises, database abstraction and things like caching.
well the list is endless
Re: Why Not Create Web Services And Web Apps? by yawatide(f): 11:57am On Jun 06, 2008
@thephantom,

In addition to what you have said, as i have read earlier on the forum, we should be discussing more on topics like code reviews, quality assurance, site optimization, etc.'

I think, and i could be wrong, that it boils down to this "web designer" thing. I thought it was a mistake in how we call people who do websites but I can see that it isn't. A developer writes code and designer does the graphics that the developer converts into a website.

I have seen posts by my2cents and prodgal that posed javascript questions and only but a few responded. That says a lot about the skills of some of the webmasters here (please note, I am saying some (they know themselves) and not all). If you recall, I posted something to the effect that I wanted to know who the main shots on here were. I did it for a reason, not to want to know them so as to challenge them.

What i propose, and this might even be where webmasters of africa comes in, is seminars on a regular basis where the gurus train the newbies. Whether its free or not is another issue but in the end, everyone will benefit.

In conclusion, I personally think that the tide will change the minute we start thinking of ourselves as developers and not graphics designers. Don't get me wrong, combining skills puts you at an advantage but for heaven's sake, don't try to be something you are not. Leave that to the pros in that field and trust me, together, everyone involved will succeed.
Re: Why Not Create Web Services And Web Apps? by OmniPotens(m): 12:30pm On Jun 06, 2008
My own view of this whole thing is that most of the webmasters here are familiar with just the web design thing. Just a few are on to actual programmings. PHP and MySQL is a big mystery to be raveled by many out here even asp or aspx. Without at least these programming languages being familiar to webmasters, I think talking to them about Application designing and development will just seem a mere talk.

I once tried talking to a webmaster on this issue but the response was that those working on application development have initially worked and made lots of money enough to lead them to the new edge of application development. He was of the opinion that the newbies should make theirs as well before moving higher.

If we can correct this impression from the minds of webmasters dying in this kind of crude ideology, I think core programmings and much more would be achieved.

Seminars, bootcamps or sort would go a long way to putting this development in place.
Re: Why Not Create Web Services And Web Apps? by kehers(m): 4:51pm On Jun 06, 2008
There is actually more to designing a web service/app than we seem to think of. Beyond the necessary coding skills [server side - (php, asp, aspx nd co), database (mysql, oracle, ), standards (xhtml, css, js, ajax, rss, xml, atom, , )] there is a lot more. From experience, this is just the beginning. The other things to consider ranges from publicity (getting users) to payment integration, maintening the site (which is the biggest) and a lot others. The atmosphere around here is a bit hard on startups and dats why dos who seem to have the idea, skill and will shy away.
On a lighter note, here is inviting everyone to the proposed online Nigeria mobile community ngBot mobile @ http://mobile.ngbot.com
Re: Why Not Create Web Services And Web Apps? by yawatide(f): 5:03pm On Jun 06, 2008
@kehers: nice marketing
Re: Why Not Create Web Services And Web Apps? by webguru(m): 3:33pm On Jun 07, 2008
how about www.naijapals.com

just found it
Re: Why Not Create Web Services And Web Apps? by mambenanje(m): 3:36pm On Jun 07, 2008
@kehers
nice site, web 2.0 very good, I got abit mixed up ont his post http://blog.ngbot.com/articles/54/ with views 21 comment:0 thinking it was 21 comments and when I went down I found no comment, but now I see.
on a small resolution the display is abit confusing.
Re: Why Not Create Web Services And Web Apps? by Nobody: 11:22am On Jun 08, 2008
this is a very good thread and this is one of the reason that i stop posting my website jobs here that  webmaster should review because i want to move from web designer to application developer i have gathered a lot of study materials to upgrade and improve my skills from a designer to a developer am even thinking of  going to one of those IT training school. If we could have something like Nigeria webmaster or webdeveloper academy where we will meet  to learn new skills and exchange ideals i think this will be great  Phantom it's been a long time how u dey?
Re: Why Not Create Web Services And Web Apps? by tundewoods(m): 4:17am On Jun 09, 2008
@ feyisara
Hey feyisara,how u doing we need to hook up and discuss some issues bordering around webs.

@ Topic

Web apps and services are not as easy and common placed as you think. Infact a better way to put it is that for every 10 website designed there are like just 1 or 2 out of them that require web apps in nigeria.
Re: Why Not Create Web Services And Web Apps? by OmniPotens(m): 11:11am On Jun 09, 2008
@tundewoods

I will like to talk to you in private. What's your web addy so I can contact you from there?
Re: Why Not Create Web Services And Web Apps? by tundewoods(m): 11:41am On Jun 09, 2008
@ OmniPotens

Holla you boy at this email address : tunde.aguda[at]wbrlconsulting[dot]com or call +23407028034947
Re: Why Not Create Web Services And Web Apps? by ztyle(m): 11:59am On Jun 09, 2008
i need web app. for trackinq my visitor on my blog. i try feedjit on wordpress it's not workinq. help plz.
Re: Why Not Create Web Services And Web Apps? by ThePhantom(m): 1:07am On Jun 10, 2008
@ ztyle

Funny, I am actually working on an app/service like that. It will track users activity, how long they stay on a page, track errors etc. What language do you want to write it in? ASP, ASP.NET, PHP etc
Re: Why Not Create Web Services And Web Apps? by ThePhantom(m): 1:22am On Jun 10, 2008
@ tundewoods

I agree web apps are not easy, but that is fun in developing them. Also, I don't want to pay $10 to $20 when I can write my owe, plus I can customise it to do what I want only. I have created my own CMS, Image resizer with an API, Contact form creator etc. This apps I have created makes it easier to deploy a website .

(1) (Reply)

Show Me The Code Error / Партнерская программа. Заработай, Не продавая! / I Need Quote For Web Development

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.