Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,185 members, 7,807,622 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:22 PM

Gowon And Queen Elizabeth With Their Spouses in 1971 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gowon And Queen Elizabeth With Their Spouses in 1971 (29149 Views)

Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? / General Yakubu Gowon and the Late Emir of Kano Ado Bayero in 1972(pictures) / Gowon And Ojukwu-before Things Fell Apart Between Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gowon And Queen Elizabeth With Their Spouses in 1971 by MAYOWAAK: 3:50pm On Aug 17, 2013
THERE REALLY WAS A FIRST LADY!
Buckingham Palace, 1971.

14 Likes

Re: Gowon And Queen Elizabeth With Their Spouses in 1971 by MAYOWAAK: 3:52pm On Aug 17, 2013
The classy, graceful-elegant and a consummate fashionista, Mrs Victoria Gowon is seen here posing for photograph with her husband and Nigeria's (then) Head of State, Yakubu Gowon, and Queen Elizabeth and her own husband, Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh. Unlike, Maryam, Maryam, Turai, Stella and The Dame, after her Madam Victoria never bothered to meddle in the affairs of the state. May be Mrs Gowon has the presence of mind that the office was just ceremonial or she was just naïve, but since her time, we have had women who are self obsessed, power drunk, and meddlesome in the affairs of the state. Worst, some have shown us that they are more powerful than the husbands, and that their fingers are even more itchy-twitchy than the men's. The current one is giving that ceremonial office a new and advanced meaning of low.

Our women have arrived, they no longer want to be behind the successful husband or beside him. And that must be celebrated, for there is nothing wrong with it. In fact, it must be seen as a plus.I've seen very bright and intelligent women, and how they dust their male classmates, and leave them wondering what happened. That is why I believe that office should be scrapped. Women should aspire to be Margaret Ekpu, Anikulapo Kuti, Gambo Sawaba, Ladi Shehu, Ngozi Okonjo Iweala, Oby Ezekwesili, Alele-Williams, Serah Jibrin, Rukayya, etc. I don't want them to get ahead just by virtue of a marriage certificate. I want it to be because their academic certificate, integrity, track record, experience, their intellect, power of expression, power of persuasion and integrity. They should apply for office or bid for it. It is not easy, never going to be, but nothing is ever easy. Meritocracy is the best shot for serious and qualified women to contribute meaningfully to nation-development.

We need our First Ladies to be ceremonial just like Flora Azikwe, Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi, Victoria Gowon and Justice Fati Lami Abubakar, or have no First Lady at all. At least, from 1960 - 1963 there was none. Same as 1979 - 1983 (Shagari did not allow any of his wives to do the "job"), 1983 - 1985 (even as educated as Safinatu Buhari, the General said, "I married my wife for myself, not for Nigerians) and 2005 - 2007 (office vacant as a result of Stella OBJ's death). One thing that unconstitutional office does to our polity is that, political prostitutes (I don't mean female prostitutes in the true sense of the term) flock around the sitting First Lady, just so that they can easily reach the ears of President or the Governor.

28 Likes

Re: Gowon And Queen Elizabeth With Their Spouses in 1971 by mensdept: 4:09pm On Aug 17, 2013
So what does this picture show except for a man who joined to defeat what could have been a more promising group of countries controlled by Africans and not Queen Eliza.

He mismanaged the country's resources and stayed there for almost a decade before being booted out, and running back to his masters in London.

Nonsense

13 Likes

Re: Gowon And Queen Elizabeth With Their Spouses in 1971 by vanunu: 5:49pm On Aug 17, 2013
That was the thank you visit.

1 Like

Re: Gowon And Queen Elizabeth With Their Spouses in 1971 by VladimirLenin: 5:54pm On Aug 17, 2013
Oleku!!! tell me something way i no fit do grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Gowon And Queen Elizabeth With Their Spouses in 1971 by DICKtator: 1:54pm On Aug 18, 2013
They were newly wedded while Gowon was in power

grin grin grin grin
Re: Gowon And Queen Elizabeth With Their Spouses in 1971 by homesteady(m): 1:56pm On Aug 18, 2013
Hain!! Even if they scrap the office of the 1st lady, will it also scrap their influence?
Re: Gowon And Queen Elizabeth With Their Spouses in 1971 by mulumele(m): 1:58pm On Aug 18, 2013
DICKtator: They were newly wedded while Gowon was in power

grin grin grin grin

Don't think so. Are you saying Prince Charles was born in the 70s?
Re: Gowon And Queen Elizabeth With Their Spouses in 1971 by hollandis(f): 1:58pm On Aug 18, 2013
stupid idiots that destroyed the country and mortgaged the future of the citizenry ...#spits on thread# and #walkaway#

5 Likes

Re: Gowon And Queen Elizabeth With Their Spouses in 1971 by ednut1(m): 1:59pm On Aug 18, 2013
Classy nd elegant

2 Likes

Re: Gowon And Queen Elizabeth With Their Spouses in 1971 by Nobody: 2:01pm On Aug 18, 2013
A gladiator and his domina

2 Likes

Re: Gowon And Queen Elizabeth With Their Spouses in 1971 by MrAnonymous: 2:02pm On Aug 18, 2013
Class
Re: Gowon And Queen Elizabeth With Their Spouses in 1971 by badmeat(m): 2:03pm On Aug 18, 2013
Envy n jealousy reeks on this thread!sad
Re: Gowon And Queen Elizabeth With Their Spouses in 1971 by Rossikk(m): 2:03pm On Aug 18, 2013
MAYOWAAK: THERE REALLY WAS A FIRST LADY!
Buckingham Palace, 1971.

Spare us this garbage. All I see is a 32 year old kid and his spouse who have no business being at the helm of a nation, but got there via the barrel of a gun. Nothing to celebrate.

10 Likes

Re: Gowon And Queen Elizabeth With Their Spouses in 1971 by Jaywilzee(m): 2:05pm On Aug 18, 2013
Na dis design wey madam gowon wear dy reign now ooo....
Re: Gowon And Queen Elizabeth With Their Spouses in 1971 by Ask4bigneyo(m): 2:05pm On Aug 18, 2013
Wonders shall never start..

1 Like

Re: Gowon And Queen Elizabeth With Their Spouses in 1971 by ProfSule(m): 2:05pm On Aug 18, 2013
mens dept: So what does this picture show except for a man who joined to defeat what could have been a more promising group of countries controlled by Africans and not Queen Eliza.

He mismanaged the country's resources and stayed there for almost a decade before being booted out, and running back to his masters in London.

Nonsense

Monkey, what did ur old man do to d country?'

3 Likes

Re: Gowon And Queen Elizabeth With Their Spouses in 1971 by OCTAVO: 2:07pm On Aug 18, 2013
That's ok
Re: Gowon And Queen Elizabeth With Their Spouses in 1971 by OAM4JisGay: 2:07pm On Aug 18, 2013
1 year after they conspired to stop Biafra from becoming a reality.

1 Like

Re: Gowon And Queen Elizabeth With Their Spouses in 1971 by OCTAVO: 2:08pm On Aug 18, 2013
ProfSule:

Monkey, what did ur old man did to d country?
grin

2 Likes

Re: Gowon And Queen Elizabeth With Their Spouses in 1971 by OAM4JisGay: 2:08pm On Aug 18, 2013
Why is this man still alive?
Re: Gowon And Queen Elizabeth With Their Spouses in 1971 by OCTAVO: 2:09pm On Aug 18, 2013
And finally, I'm out.
Thanks to all the crew.
Re: Gowon And Queen Elizabeth With Their Spouses in 1971 by OAM4JisGay: 2:09pm On Aug 18, 2013
ProfSule:

Monkey, what did ur old man did to d country?
The Queen wouldn't like this grammar

13 Likes

Re: Gowon And Queen Elizabeth With Their Spouses in 1971 by drdams: 2:09pm On Aug 18, 2013
U lack a gud sense of history!
Try coolness instead of dis clarion.
Watch 4rm d stance if uve got noting rational 2 say.
mens dept: So what does this picture show except for a man who joined to defeat what could have been a more promising group of countries controlled by Africans and not Queen Eliza.

Nonsense

2 Likes

Re: Gowon And Queen Elizabeth With Their Spouses in 1971 by laplace19(m): 2:09pm On Aug 18, 2013
I have seen them,so what next

1 Like

Re: Gowon And Queen Elizabeth With Their Spouses in 1971 by Ask4bigneyo(m): 2:10pm On Aug 18, 2013
Will the pix stops our senators from approving kid's marriage..? WTF
Re: Gowon And Queen Elizabeth With Their Spouses in 1971 by OCTAVO: 2:10pm On Aug 18, 2013
OAM4J is Gay: The Queen wouldn't like this grammar
Na so cheesy

1 Like

Re: Gowon And Queen Elizabeth With Their Spouses in 1971 by Ideasroole: 2:10pm On Aug 18, 2013
This former first lady sure looks...... wink
Re: Gowon And Queen Elizabeth With Their Spouses in 1971 by fastguy10: 2:11pm On Aug 18, 2013
OAM4J is Gay: 1 year after they conspired to stop Biafra from becoming a reality.
Hahaha ds ur user name OAM4J is Gay
Re: Gowon And Queen Elizabeth With Their Spouses in 1971 by veron007: 2:11pm On Aug 18, 2013
Madam and his boy-boy.
It's amazing what Gowon has become. For all the atrocities and genocide he committed for the Hausa-Fulani, he has nothing to show for it. He was just a errand boy used by the northern bandits. These days I laugh every time I hear how Fulani's are kill Gowon's brother in the middle belt like chicken. They are surely reaping what they sow; it is just a taste of what we fought for. The only difference is that we had the ball to stand up and fight for our lives and territory; and still has the capability and will to do the same today it the need arises. God bless Biafra and her children!

2 Likes

Re: Gowon And Queen Elizabeth With Their Spouses in 1971 by drdams: 2:12pm On Aug 18, 2013
Jealous! Wud u achieve such height @ age 32? Dats if u arent already above 32 sef..
No man is perfect, every1 has his f-up, bt appreciate d gud part..
Rossikk: Spare us this garbage. All I see is a 32 year old kid and his spouse who have no business being at the helm of a nation, but got there via the barrel of a gun. Nothing to celebrate.

5 Likes

Re: Gowon And Queen Elizabeth With Their Spouses in 1971 by Afam4eva(m): 2:13pm On Aug 18, 2013
Patience Jonathan remains the most elegant and fashion conscious first lady in the history of Nigeria and Africa. She's always on point.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Imo Journalist Lists Okorocha's Corrupt Practices & Court Disregard Since 2011 / Dino Melaye Kneels Down, Praises God (Photos) / Sanwo-olu Commissions Oba Sekumade Concrere Road In Ikorodu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.