Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,463 members, 7,781,342 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:44 PM

Who Will Win The 2013 Nigeria Prize For Literature? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Who Will Win The 2013 Nigeria Prize For Literature? (671 Views)

Alice Munro Wins The 2013 Nobel Prize For Literature / Tade Ipadeola Wins 2013 Nigeria Prize For Literature / Tope Folarin Wins The 2013 Caine Prize For African Writing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Will Win The 2013 Nigeria Prize For Literature? by Orikinla(m): 7:38pm On Aug 17, 2013
You cannot guess this one!

It is really difficult for anyone to predict who will win the Nigeria Prize for Literature this year, even though only a couple of the writers who made the final shortlist are among the most accomplished poets in Nigeria. I can pick out the geniuses in poetry among them. When you have Prof. Femi Osofisan , aka Okinba Launko and Prof. Remi Raji in the same contest for the most coveted and richest literary prize in Africa, then it is not an easy task for the judges. The other 9 authors on the shortlist must also be good to have made the final list of 11 from the 201 entries, but only few of them have proved to be seasoned poets over the years. Personally, I don’t believe in prose writers becoming poets overnight so that they can compete for the poetry category of the Nigeria Prize for Literature which rotates annually among the four major genres of Prose Fiction, Poetry, Drama and Children's literature, especially when the cash prize is a whopping US$100, 000! That is enough to make anyone transform into Wole Soyinka overnight!

On August 12th 2013, the Advisory Board for The Nigeria Prize for Literature approved the following shortlist of 11 out of the 201 books submitted for the 2013 edition of the prize.

Letter Home and Biafran Nights by Akeh Afam
Symphony of Becoming by Eke Iquo
Birthcry by Nwakanma Obi
Wild Letters by Ogochukwu Promise
Globetrotter and Hitler’s Children by Ede Amatoritsero
Marsh Boy and Other Poems by Egbewo G’ebinyo
Length of Eyes by Gomba Obari
The Sahara Testaments by Ipadeola Tade
Seven Stations up the Stairwell by Launko Kinba (pen name for Femi Osofisan)
Through the Window of a Sandcastle by Nnadi Amu
Sea of My Mind by Raji Remi

- See more at: http://www.nigeriansreport.com/2013/08/who-will-win-2013-nigeria-prize-for.html#sthash.NcH70uB1.dpuf

1 Like

Re: Who Will Win The 2013 Nigeria Prize For Literature? by slap1(m): 7:27am On Aug 18, 2013
What can I say? I wouldn't want to be among the judges right now! Strong list they got there!

Suprizes are wont to spring up in events like this. However, I think Osofisan, Raji and Amatoristero Ede (he briefly edited for Spectrum Books before leaving the country). While Osofisan and Raji needs little or no introduction, it is worthy to note that Amatoristero is no push over! I read some poems from his collected poems, Carribean Blues and it was deep and resounding. . .makes you think of Maxim Uzoatu or the late Esiaba Irobi, who left before the noon of his life. Amatoristero has won the ANA/Okigbo Prize for Poetry and BBC Poetry prize. He may be David among the Goliaths, but literature is different from mathematics; one plus one is not always two!

1 Like

Re: Who Will Win The 2013 Nigeria Prize For Literature? by Orikinla(m): 2:52pm On Aug 18, 2013
slap1: What can I say? I wouldn't want to be among the judges right now! Strong list they got there!

Suprizes are wont to spring up in events like this. However, I think Osofisan, Raji and Amatoristero Ede (he briefly edited for Spectrum Books before leaving the country). While Osofisan and Raji needs little or no introduction, it is worthy to note that Amatoristero is no push over! I read some poems from his collected poems, Carribean Blues and it was deep and resounding. . .makes you think of Maxim Uzoatu or the late Esiaba Irobi, who left before the noon of his life. Amatoristero has won the ANA/Okigbo Prize for Poetry and BBC Poetry prize. He may be David among the Goliaths, but literature is different from mathematics; one plus one is not always two!

I agree with you. But I know that the winner will be either Prof. Osofisan or Prof. Raji.

Personally, I would prefer the Nigeria Prize for Literature to be a single annual prize for any Nigerian author who has achieved a lot for the literary development of Nigerians and promotion of Nigerian Literature and not a contest of who authored and published the best book of prose fiction, poetry, drama or Children's literature within a short time. This will discourage overnight prize writers who are just opportunists who write for self pursuits and not for the common good of literature and literary culture.
Re: Who Will Win The 2013 Nigeria Prize For Literature? by slap1(m): 8:48pm On Aug 18, 2013
Yes, I already stated that Osofisan and Raji are outright favourites, I just tipped Amatoristero to put up a fight; although anything can happen.
Your thoughts about the prize structure is noted. The organization of the prize encourages writers to write out of their genre (not out of pleasure or ambition but simply to position themselvesfor the prize), and even rush to meet "deadline''. This has the possibility of compromising substance and is potentially detrimental to the development of literature.

Alternatively, the prize should be spread across the genres thus: The Nigerian Prize for Poetry, The Nigerian Prize for Prose (children and adult) and The Nigerian Prize for Drama. I felt odd two years ago (or was it last year?) when Prof. Akachi Ezeigbo and Uche Peter Umez were shortlisted for the prize. I'm not really sure. . .does Prof. Ezeigbo originally write stories for kids?
Re: Who Will Win The 2013 Nigeria Prize For Literature? by Orikinla(m): 7:15pm On Aug 19, 2013
slap1: Yes, I already stated that Osofisan and Raji are outright favourites, I just tipped Amatoristero to put up a fight; although anything can happen.
Your thoughts about the prize structure is noted. The organization of the prize encourages writers to write out of their genre (not out of pleasure or ambition but simply to position themselvesfor the prize), and even rush to meet "deadline''. This has the possibility of compromising substance and is potentially detrimental to the development of literature.

Alternatively, the prize should be spread across the genres thus: The Nigerian Prize for Poetry, The Nigerian Prize for Prose (children and adult) and The Nigerian Prize for Drama. I felt odd two years ago (or was it last year?) when Prof. Akachi Ezeigbo and Uche Peter Umez were shortlisted for the prize. I'm not really sure. . .does Prof. Ezeigbo originally write stories for kids?

There are now writers writing for the Nigeria Prize for Literature.

(1) (Reply)

Encounters I Will Never Forget Part 2 / Surviving The Times: Greatest Story NEVER Told. / Baba Ni Jigi "Tales Of A Coloured Girl." Part 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.