Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,545 members, 7,809,004 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:57 PM

Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It - Agriculture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It (24688 Views)

With 2 Million Naira Which Business In Agriculture Can I Invest In / Do U Knw That An Unsuspecting Area Of Agriculture Can Give U Ds? Partners Needed / Make A Living With Piggery Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by Nobody: 8:06am On Nov 12, 2013
you need to rear what the markets demand because that will determine your profit if the market demand for sweet beans and you are planting white beans, no matter how productive it is it will never sell

1 Like

Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by UsaNumber: 10:01am On Nov 12, 2013
@land ona,
This is link i was talking about where you can get a US Number on your Naija sim, that enables you to Make call (with US caller i.d), Receive calls and Sms. http://usacallsms.com

You dont need an app or software, just make use of your phone.
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by Emmysteve(m): 12:43pm On Nov 12, 2013
doctor isa: you need to rear what the markets demand because that will determine your profit if the market demand for sweet beans and you are planting white beans, no matter how productive it is it will never sell
Do you think Rabbit farming is marketable?
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by Nobody: 12:49pm On Nov 12, 2013
Emmysteve: Do you think Rabbit farming is marketable?

yes bro very very profitable...you can do your self the favour of looking for the market before you start this will help you more...do more research and ask questions from people in your environment
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by Emmysteve(m): 8:45pm On Nov 12, 2013
doctor isa:

yes bro very very profitable...you can do your self the favour of looking for the market before you start this will help you more...do more research and ask questions from people in your environment
Thanks, i think i will start with 1 Buck and four does next week. I just found out that there is also a Grass cutters And Rabbits breeding Association of Nigeria under the umbrella of All Farmers Assocition of Nigeria (AFAN). I heard it can aid the marketing
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by Emmysteve(m): 8:59pm On Nov 12, 2013
God"s willing, tomorrow i will be meeting with the carpenter for the construction of the cage for a start up. The construction will cost 20,000. Wanted to go for two step so as to cantain both grass cutters and Rabbits for each step.
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by Nobody: 9:32pm On Nov 12, 2013
Emmysteve: God"s willing, tomorrow i will be meeting with the carpenter for the construction of the cage for a start up. The construction will cost 20,000. Wanted to go for two step so as to cantain both grass cutters and Rabbits for each step.

nice move you can keep us updated about the progress and what ever problem you are facing
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by TheUnbeatable(m): 10:29pm On Nov 12, 2013
To all my people:
I have been quite busy with farm work. Please forgive my absence. Building my ugu nursery, expanding my piggery, wetting my vegetable farm, preparing my brooder's house in readiness for my pullets coupled with the stress of commercial transport(my car broke down) and trekking often knock me to my bed early on many days for sometime now but this are getting better now. Sorry, I am the only worker on my "increasing farm" so, av got to do all the thinkings, planinning, praying, purchasings and sales! I will be available more hopefully next week( lagbara olorun).
I will anser all the questions I can treat according to my knowledge. If you see the bruise on my hand now caused by hitting my hand on the ground while attending to my pigs today, you will pity me (laffing) but life must continue. Every pain is gain(atleast you will learn a lesson from it) starting a "zero emmission farm" and running it no be beans abeg! Make all of una dey yarn beta torhi, I dey come join una abeg. No wait me o just dey talk dey go make me too dey read am !
Your brother,
The Unbeatable!!!
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by bafnaija: 11:06pm On Nov 12, 2013
i have missed this topic,as i have just register as member in this forum.

i would say it was interesting. But people should know that agriculture requires business skills if your on it as means for living better.
if as hobby, you can do what you like.

1 Like

Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by Emmysteve(m): 10:00pm On Nov 13, 2013
@Unstopable
Welcome back, you have been missed. Was about asking ur where about .

sorry about that little accident in ur farm.

Good nite every one.
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by star2008(m): 7:28am On Nov 14, 2013
@ the unbeatable, pls sir,i wouldn't mind if i can come to ur farm visiting.This i know will boost me. My number is 08023461824. I don't mind callin u if u can flash me 4 d address,
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by star2008(m): 7:37am On Nov 14, 2013
@ Dr Isa, God bless u 4 d life changing thread u created.Sir, i sent u a mail yesterday n i hav not gotten a reply. Pls sir,i need materials that could help me in SNAIL,GRASSCUTTER n RABBIT Farming.I am a learner but am ready 2 go.My email is olatunji1978@yahoo.com
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by Nobody: 10:20am On Nov 14, 2013
star2008: @ Dr Isa, God bless u 4 d life changing thread u created.Sir, i sent u a mail yesterday n i hav not gotten a reply. Pls sir,i need materials that could help me in SNAIL,GRASSCUTTER n RABBIT Farming.I am a learner but am ready 2 go.My email is olatunji1978@yahoo.com
i ve reply you sir check your spam box
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by Emmysteve(m): 12:22pm On Nov 14, 2013
doctor isa:

nice move you can keep us updated about the progress and what ever problem you are facing
Thanx, sure i will give an update together with pictures. I should be expecting my cage latest by Friday next week as promised by the carpenta.
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by Onuels(m): 5:55pm On Nov 14, 2013
doctor isa: i ve reply you sir check your spam box

Hi Dr isa.I wud be greatful if you Could help with sith snail and rabit farming. I have had the will to go into it for sometime now but the fear not having someone to guide me in it has always held me back. So far, I have been able to procure a land but still need help of a guide. Please sir I would appreciate any materials you could help me with and also a way I can always reach u when the need arise. Here is my mail. Osinuels@yahoo.com
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by eminikansoso(m): 9:28pm On Nov 14, 2013
Good day Doctor Isa
I have 3 hectare of cassava farm in igbolu area of delta state. I want to add grasscutter and snail. I need info on it and with #200000 I hope it will be enough.
My mail is oyedepoeniola@gmail.com
Thanks
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by TheUnbeatable(m): 11:07pm On Nov 14, 2013
Thank God today's work is almost gone. Brooding day old chicks again after 4 years is really an experience. At first, it was low temperature, later, it was extremely high temperature thank God I came to the scene bya accident, I would have roasted my DOC today. Just resting now since 6:15 am.

Reward for hard work is more work a wise man said. The Unbeatable believes this.
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by datola: 8:54pm On Nov 15, 2013
@ The unbeatable/ Dr Isa,

Please can snail be reared on an open plot of land without using pens. The land is a loaming/black soil land with vegetation such as plantain, coco yam, pawpaw tree and other leafy trees and grasses providing shade.

Please advice.

Thank you for the excellent posts.
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by Emmysteve(m): 3:07pm On Nov 19, 2013
Good day every body, the thread has being silent for a while now.
I dont know wheather to be happy or sad now because i am really confused and several thought has being runing my mind now. As promised, my cage is ready (sorry i couldnt snap it but with do it tomorrow) The cage is well constructed but the problem is that its too big, beyond my expectation. The size is 6ft long and 3ft wide. I cant even lift it, not even two people. I have negotiated with peagut driver to bring it down my house. I dont know how it will enter the house where i live now. are you there Dr Issa and Unstopable.
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by boluwajokosegun: 3:40pm On Nov 19, 2013
STAGE 1 Cassava farming: this is the cultivation of the cassava plant, it requires research for the best species and best land for cultivation.

STAGE 2 Cassava processing: the processing includes but not limited to soft grinding (garri and starching) and chippings (cassava flour)

STAGE 3 Packing: sachetting or bagging of the processed cassava

STAGE 4 Sales: transportation of the processed cassava to consumers. The sales also includes sales of the cassava back during processing to those who may need it (fish farms, pig farms, rabbit and so on)
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by 5p1naz(m): 7:30pm On Nov 19, 2013
I have zero experience in snail farming practically but vast knowledge when it comes to theory. I have been taught one on one... Read books and attended seminars in Nigeria and Ghana. Truth is I still wasn't convinced about the profitability of snail farming because these guys who teach these snail farming at these events don't even drive a car.

Not that I am here to boast or anything, I already have businesses giving me money, so if I can't. Get first hand facts about. Returns on an investment I immediately loose interest in the business.

Now the major reason why I am talking so much is this, first all I would say Isa and unbeatable, I think you guys are doing something good here that should not go "uncommended", taking time out of your busy schedules to educate us is commendable. Now the reason for my post, like I said earlier I have a lot of Infos on snail farming theoretically but never practically... I've tried and tried to get correct information on income and expenses locally but Nigerians are just not forth coming... All they are interested in selling to you is their book or more seminars.

I visited these guys farm in Lagos and I told him i already had enough seminars.. I just needed clarification on a number of things, he told me point blank he won't disclose anything to me until I paid for his seminar. I was disgusted.

So Late last month i went for a 2weeks holiday in Australia, and I met this Australian lady also into snail farming... Even though our african snails are different from their snail type, the farming practices are so much identical.. I was amazed at how much help and info she was willing to give out. She told me all I wanted to know.. I spent a whole week on her farm and we worked together all day.. She was just amazing. Now I know a lot better. I would try to use some of her skills here in Nigeria and hope I can make it bigger than hers. undecided grin

Her farm is on a 3 acre and she produces 10000 snails every week.

Moral of the story: Africans would forever remain undeveloped and poor if they do not emulate the attitude of the aussy lady, Isa & unbeatable.

I would start my farm soon on a 1 PLOt and see how it goes. Then I would enlarge it if successful. Whilst clearing the one plot of land, we found several snails (acharchatina marginata) which I kept in an enclosed space, 2 of which have just laid eggs. 1 didn't count the first Set of eggs from the first snail, But the 2nd egg was laid yesterday morning and I counted 50. That's a good start and promising. Anyways, I would order for my first set of breeders once the coco yam start to grow as shades on the land. And I would upload the egg pic as soon as I get on my pc. I'm still a learner and I would appreciate any suggestion.

This is just my experience so far...

Cheers

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by Nobody: 9:33pm On Nov 19, 2013
datola: @ The unbeatable/ Dr Isa,

Please can snail be reared on an open plot of land without using pens. The land is a loaming/black soil land with vegetation such as plantain, coco yam, pawpaw tree and other leafy trees and grasses providing shade.

Please advice.

Thank you for the excellent posts.

am sorry guys am very busy in the farm just finish debeaking 1000 pullets, to be very candid its the most stressful part of poultry business..i lost more than 100 layers this year because of pecking even doe they are inside cage....farming is not for lazy people oooooo....
datola snail can be reared on an open plot so far you are sure they wont run away maybe house them or fenced to be on a saver side...but how are you so sure of soldier mite and ants wont kill them..although its not advisable unless you want to start with lets say 5000-10,000 snails then you are good to go
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by Nobody: 9:37pm On Nov 19, 2013
Emmysteve: Good day every body, the thread has being silent for a while now.
I dont know wheather to be happy or sad now because i am really confused and several thought has being runing my mind now. As promised, my cage is ready (sorry i couldnt snap it but with do it tomorrow) The cage is well constructed but the problem is that its too big, beyond my expectation. The size is 6ft long and 3ft wide. I cant even lift it, not even two people. I have negotiated with peagut driver to bring it down my house. I dont know how it will enter the house where i live now. are you there Dr Issa and Unstopable.

if you are not happy with it bro tell the carpenter to re-size it....but if it is well constructed you can leave it since you wont be changing the position of the cage regularly
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by Nobody: 9:47pm On Nov 19, 2013
@5p1naz am happy you share this with us snail farming do not require much experience unlike poultry business if you jump to poultry business any how without be well trained or having a professional by your side am sorry you are on a long thing...with all what you have said go ahead and start you have us here to always put you through...and i will advise you to start small, so you can learn from any mistake made..then expand latter...when am talking about small here you can start with like 300-500...but small in poultry business is 50-100 oooo.....best of luck bro if you encounter any problem by the way just post it here if am not available someone might have the answer to it.....best of uck bro
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by TheUnbeatable(m): 10:09pm On Nov 19, 2013
My people, please bear with me for this moment, i will try to compose some of my experiences as a snail farmer,dry season vegetable farmer, pig farmer, plantation agriculturist, soil conservationist, environmentalist and now poultry farmer. I will validate and cross fertilize both theory and practicals of snailry and other aspects of agric that i know. Please give me few time to sort out these pressures. I promise i will pour out myself for FREE.

Evalastingly practising Agric,

The Unbeatable!
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by vpaymoney(m): 11:20pm On Nov 19, 2013
doctor isa: i ve reply you sir check your spam box

@dr isa, do you KNOW anything about moringa plantation in Nigeria? I CANT JUST.STOP SEARCHING BUT AM NOT GETTING THE INFO THAT I WANT ON IT. PLS DO YOU HAVE ANY MATERIAL TO HELP ME WITH? I WILL APPRECIATE SO MUCH. GOD BLESS NIGERIA
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by vpaymoney(m): 11:27pm On Nov 19, 2013
The Unbeatable: My people, please bear with me for this moment, i will try to compose some of my experiences as a snail farmer,dry season vegetable farmer, pig farmer, plantation agriculturist, soil conservationist, environmentalist and now poultry farmer. I will validate and cross fertilize both theory and practicals of snailry and other aspects of agric that i know. Please give me few time to sort out these pressures. I promise i will pour out myself for FREE.

Evalastingly practising Agric,

The Unbeatable!
KUDOS.
PLS CHECK MY EARLIER POST ABT MORINGA PLANTATION. AM PLANNING FOR NEXT SEASON. I AM FAST BECOMING A JACK ALL PROFITABLE TRADE AND TRYING TO BE MASTER OF ALL. LOL
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by Nairaanddollar: 7:26am On Nov 20, 2013
We have thousands of acres
of good fertile land for sale,
lease or rent in Ogbomoso,
Oyo state. Selling from
N50,000 per acre and u can
rent at 5k per year. Our lands
are suitable for most crops.
Good roads, peaceful and
friendly people. 08060318769
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by TheUnbeatable(m): 3:29pm On Nov 23, 2013
First of all, i must say "THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING" to BABA GOD.
No one knows anything except he is given to know!
And everyone must know that " you have not yet known abit from all you ought to know" so, " dont ever boast that you know sonething because the end of your knowledge is the begining for another person"

Restine on this starter notes, i want to respond to some of the prevoius posts!
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by TheUnbeatable(m): 4:24pm On Nov 23, 2013
let me drop some lines here on snail farming.
practical ni o. if you try it and it did not work, come back here and confront me!
snail farming is cheap and easy to start and can become a major source of income to nigerians!
snails have both local and export potentials!
snails are usually scarce and expensive during dry season (from now till march). snails can be reared at the back yeard too. you dont really need a plot to start your snailry. a 1mx1m space can be used to start gaan! it depend on the population.
snail meat contains 9 out of 10 essential amino acids and is good for children. include it in your menu and you will see your children grow like broilers or akintola plant (chromolaena odorata) (laffing)
it is a delicacy and good business, i must tell you but it takes time before it yield oooooo!
you must have a source of income ooo. it does not bring money everyday or every month o because it takes at least 8 months to mature o.
it was until lately when i consulted a book before i knew i am blessed with many of the african snail species.
i have one like helix aspersa( the white cream colour ipere/ilakose), helix pomatia(this one just die and na just 1 i get) i have achachatina marginata, achatina achatina, achatina fulica !
in all i have more than 60 mature, grower and juvenile snails. hey, i am a young farmer ooo. my farm is not even up to a year old. i have been working for other farms all my life. thank god, my eye don open now. so if you have the priviledeg of coming to my "ever increasing farm", and you did not see big structures. so that you will not be disappointed. infact, i dont have a regular job but god is feeding me and i dont want to work for people again except for consultancy which i do for both private and public(govt) where applicable. note that what i said is in reported speach ( past tense). so incase you have work for me, abeg give me make i chop and increase.
now lets go back to our discussion abeg.

snails despite being hermaphrodite, still cross breed. they mount themselves. havent you seen them before? as if they are walking on themselves. they dont need to off clothe like human beings before doing things (laffing)!

please take note of these factors when siting your snailry farm( so that you wount put it near your genetator house or dung hill.;
population density: the lower the population in a pen, the faster their growth. ( that is one of my problems now, i over crowded my basket pens/containers)
stress caused by noise, light, vibrations, dirty environment, irregular feeding, frequent touch. that irregular feeding is also one of my problems because of my schedules and "no money stress" sometimes (laffing seriously)
also the watch the type of concentrate feed you give them. snails need foods containinf lime. any of the limes,(quick lime, caustic lime, slake lime, hydrocarbonate cahco3, agric lime) you need minute quanttity o. dont put plenty and say i am d one dat adviced you o. i will not be liable for any measurement error o

let me make you laff abit, sometime ago (2007) i bought 55 fingerlings and i mis use cahco3, within 5 hours of arrival from ibadan o, all of the fishes died except 1 which i threw away. (life is like that, you loose and you gain) (still laffing)
please dont mind me that my post is not organised o
i just type as it comes to my mind. that is why i need to be in a good mind frame and good mood to be able to post on naira land and i also need to know the questions of people apart from the fact that i am a multidimentional speaker. abeg pardon me, na my style be dat and very natural. i dislike copying other peooples lifestyle!
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by TheUnbeatable(m): 4:35pm On Nov 23, 2013
Pls, can someone teach me how to upload pix on nairaland so that i can make sketches and upload them. It will really help you to get the basis because if you dont know it, artisans(carpenters, bricklayers, etc) will bamboozzle you trying to make more money from you.

Let me talk abot (dormant/ fasting snails):
When snails cover their shell with a cyst or whiitish membrane. It make dem dormant and they can die dat day. It is caused by dryness of the pen. This happens to me too. Remove the cyst and dip d'snail inside a bucket of water. Then provide fresh vegetables, they will pick up from there.

I know that i am repeating some of the things i earlier posted but lets just continue.
Let me quickly treat this areas before i go out:
Snail management/ housing types: depending on your budget.
Snail feeding
How to start your own farm.
Enemies of snails
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by Nobody: 4:47pm On Nov 23, 2013
??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Rabbit Farmers Association Of Nigeria (RAFAN) Meet In Lagos (Photos) / Water Melon Farming ( A Money Spinner) / Quality Galvanize Movable Fish Ponds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.