Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:07 AM

Nigeria Signs $3.7b Coal Mining And Power Plant - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Signs $3.7b Coal Mining And Power Plant (9473 Views)

Nigerian Senate Set To Spend N4.7b On 120 Toyota Land Cruisers For Saraki, Other / Dangote Signs $3.3bn Loan Agreement To Build Africa’s Biggest Petrochemical & Oi / Nigeria Finally Resumes Industrial Commercial Coal Mining (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Signs $3.7b Coal Mining And Power Plant by Nobody: 4:06am On Aug 20, 2013
President Goodluck Jonathan said on Monday that Nigeria can generate up to 30 per cent of its energy needs from its coal resources the coal resources using environmentally-friendly, clean technology.

President Jonathan who said this at a one-day Workshop on the Solid Minerals Sector Development, which he presided over at the Banquet Hall of the Presidential Villa, Abuja added that Nigeria is endowed with abundant coal reserves of the required quality necessary for power generation.

The workshop which was organised to ginger interest of investors in Nigeria solid minerals sector also featured the signing of Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Coal to Power for the development of Ezinmo Coal Block in Enugu and a 1000 megawatts coal power generating plant.

The MoU was signed between the Ministry of Mines and Steel Development and HTG-Pacific Energy Consortium for the development of the Ezinmo Coal Bricks.

“Nigeria is endowed with abundant coal reserve of the required quality necessary for power generation and there is no reason why we should not explore the sector.

President Jonathan said the signing of the MoU is indicative of the growing synergy between the Ministries of Mines and Steel Development and Power collaborative efforts to attract investors to coal fired oil generation opportunities.

“We expect the co-operation to continue until we get the desired destination in terms of our power needs,’’ he said.

Professor Chinedu Nebo, the Minister of Power, said the MoU was on the utilisation of the mining licence, granted by the Federal Government for the Ezinmo coal block.

According to him, the licence was granted to an indigenous company with a Chinese partner, HTG-Pacific Energy Consortium, for the exploitation and mining of the coal block at Ezinmo.

The Minister of Power added that Ezinmo was a very large coal block which ranged from Enugu State to Benue State.

In addition to mining of the coal block, he said the company would build 1000 megawatts power plant, which made the agreement Coal to Power all the way.

Nebo said the signing of the MoU, would be followed by Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) that would authorise the investors to build the coal-fired power plant

The Coal to Power plant would be cited Nsukka, the same location with the mine, to save the cost of transportation.

The Chairman of Pacific Energy Consortium, Adedeji Adeleke, said the estimated investments for the development of the coal mine and the building of the power plant would be about $3.7 billion.

He added that the company will begin work on the project immediately

In a presentation on the Overview of the Solid Minerals Sector in Nigeria, Minister of Mines and Steel Development, Mohammed Sada, said recent exploration activities indicated the occurrence of 44 solid mineral resources. He added that a total of 4125 extant mineral licences were held by operators following the revocation of non-performing ones.
http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/08/19/nigeria-signs-3-7b-coal-mining-and-power-plant/

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Signs $3.7b Coal Mining And Power Plant by Pizzanatty(m): 5:12am On Aug 20, 2013
What can i say to this now if not for the possibility of front page and first 2 comment wahala...Anyway i will wait till my expectation comes TRUE

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Signs $3.7b Coal Mining And Power Plant by Nobody: 5:22am On Aug 20, 2013
Good development. Nigeria needs more of these kinds of projects. It would be really nice if power plants that are capable of generating at least 5,000MW are set up. This would speed up the rapid industrialisation of Naija.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Signs $3.7b Coal Mining And Power Plant by ChimaAdeoye: 5:24am On Aug 20, 2013
For reasons best known to him,Obasanjo would not explore the use of clean coal technology to solve Nigeria's power problems.Apart from nuclear power,coal provides more than 46% of US electricity supply and China have used coal electricity plants to boost and sustain their electricity supply.South Africa obtains 50% of its electric power from coal.One Coal power plant will provide a massive amount of cheap electricity, which will take more than 5 expensive gas fired plants to provide.

Until Nigeria utilize ALL sources of its natural endowment (Not just gas) to provide uninterrupted electricity,Nigeria's dream of having cheap stable electricity supply for the entire country will continue to be a mirage.

19 Likes

Re: Nigeria Signs $3.7b Coal Mining And Power Plant by londoner: 5:53am On Aug 20, 2013
This is a great development and I am glad that SE is also getting a look in.

I think the north is also being explored for its coal deposits.

Nigeria is waking up from slumber.....slowly.

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria Signs $3.7b Coal Mining And Power Plant by bigass(f): 6:02am On Aug 20, 2013
After 14 yrs in power. PDP should be ashamed of not being able to solve this power problems. All we hear is plan plan plan!!! For the 4th day. I don't have light in my house!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Signs $3.7b Coal Mining And Power Plant by omenka(m): 6:03am On Aug 20, 2013
I'd hold my tongue until im sure this is not another big white elephant with huge tusks strollin past enugu enroute lagos.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Signs $3.7b Coal Mining And Power Plant by ujchief(m): 6:37am On Aug 20, 2013
Another Mou signed! We all know where mou's end up in naija.

. . .at the secretary's unused file cabinet.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Signs $3.7b Coal Mining And Power Plant by Nobody: 6:49am On Aug 20, 2013
another billions to some useless people pocket smh
Re: Nigeria Signs $3.7b Coal Mining And Power Plant by cashkid18(m): 7:06am On Aug 20, 2013
lets jst hope dt it does nt end up in d pages of d newspaper.. .nsska eko ni baje ooo in advance shocked
Re: Nigeria Signs $3.7b Coal Mining And Power Plant by Ngwakwe: 7:35am On Aug 20, 2013
It's unfortunate that this has been the only formula employed by Nigerian politicians with their numerous accomplices from Asia to curry the favour of the electorates.

The PDP has just woken up and learnt media propaganda from ACN.

Eg Ogun State to build the tallest building in Africa, Osun State has revolutionised Secondary education using "Opium", Lagos State Governor visits Ladipo Market and plans to build state of the art recycling plant and mobile toilets etc

Nigerians are in big trouble.

omenka: I'd hold my tongue until im sure this is not another big white elephant with huge tusks strollin past enugu enroute lagos.

ujchief: Another Mou signed! We all know where mou's end up in naija.

. . .at the secretary's unused file cabinet.

omenka: I'd hold my tongue until im sure this is not another big white elephant with huge tusks strollin past enugu enroute lagos.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Signs $3.7b Coal Mining And Power Plant by Nobody: 8:13am On Aug 20, 2013
Well, I'm not moved in anyway, cos once upon a time, #16 trillion was invested into that sector and instead of meaningful improvement, all we got was epileptic supply of power.

And the last time I checked, they also signed other forms of agreement with countries like US and Russia and until recently, China. Yet we don't get uninterrupted power supply.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Signs $3.7b Coal Mining And Power Plant by Alexbond(m): 8:52am On Aug 20, 2013
Adedeji and his son davido don turn cash money n young money 4 naija...uhmm i dey envy dem.
Re: Nigeria Signs $3.7b Coal Mining And Power Plant by Alexbond(m): 8:58am On Aug 20, 2013
Adedeji and his son davido don turn cash money n young money 4 naija...uhmm i dey envy dem. GEJ dey prove 2me say he get sense dis dayz his really tryin.i think he's beta dan is predesessors.
Re: Nigeria Signs $3.7b Coal Mining And Power Plant by Capnd143(m): 9:11am On Aug 20, 2013
Anyway what can i say but "signs of endtime"
Re: Nigeria Signs $3.7b Coal Mining And Power Plant by otijah(m): 9:57am On Aug 20, 2013
Capnd143: Anyway what can i say but "signs of endtime"
who be this deluded clown? Seun you need to be carefull in giving people pass in this NL
Re: Nigeria Signs $3.7b Coal Mining And Power Plant by vislabraye(m): 9:57am On Aug 20, 2013
Let's see how it ends. But good initiative if they see it through.
Re: Nigeria Signs $3.7b Coal Mining And Power Plant by soundtruth(m): 10:02am On Aug 20, 2013
bigass: After 14 yrs in power. PDP should be ashamed of not being able to solve this power problems. All we hear is plan plan plan!!! For the 4th day. I don't have light in my house!

It is so sad.
Re: Nigeria Signs $3.7b Coal Mining And Power Plant by Teotihuacan: 10:04am On Aug 20, 2013
Finally
Re: Nigeria Signs $3.7b Coal Mining And Power Plant by Kessythegeek(m): 10:06am On Aug 20, 2013
Nigeria's problem is not just power generation..but Power distributiön..how can 1 transformer control 25 streets?

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Signs $3.7b Coal Mining And Power Plant by Fazhy: 10:10am On Aug 20, 2013
Well....

Re: Nigeria Signs $3.7b Coal Mining And Power Plant by TCUBE(m): 10:12am On Aug 20, 2013
I finally gave up on Nigeria after watching Obasanjo's pathetic finger pointing on youtube.There is no light at the end of the tunnel. Come to think of it, there is actually no light... ; undecided]
Re: Nigeria Signs $3.7b Coal Mining And Power Plant by Samgreguc(m): 10:27am On Aug 20, 2013
bigass: After 14 yrs in power. PDP should be ashamed of not being able to solve this power problems. All we hear is plan plan plan!!! For the 4th day. I don't have light in my house!
your sg and lg administers are very lazy towards duty and not fg...
Re: Nigeria Signs $3.7b Coal Mining And Power Plant by awodman: 10:28am On Aug 20, 2013
Kessythegeek: Nigeria's problem is not just power generation..but Power distributiön..how can 1 transformer control 25 streets?
Lol..I transformer for 25 streets?..is it that bad?
Re: Nigeria Signs $3.7b Coal Mining And Power Plant by Nobody: 10:28am On Aug 20, 2013
Yet another MoU? undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Signs $3.7b Coal Mining And Power Plant by Samgreguc(m): 10:34am On Aug 20, 2013
Kessythegeek: Nigeria's problem is not just power generation..but Power distributiön..how can 1 transformer control 25 streets?
Aba is a living witness

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Signs $3.7b Coal Mining And Power Plant by immortalcrown(m): 10:53am On Aug 20, 2013
There is an atom of truth in this issue because, Prof. Nebo is involved.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Signs $3.7b Coal Mining And Power Plant by pststeve: 11:21am On Aug 20, 2013
GEJ is working hater are grumbling, keep it up my prosido God will guide u. till 2019

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Signs $3.7b Coal Mining And Power Plant by zincleadore: 11:48am On Aug 20, 2013
Do you know that Nigeria's Steam/Thermal Coal is second best in the world? Masterminds Integrated Concept LTD are suppliers of Coal Ore FOB EXW NIGERIA. We have been in supplies for 5yrs and we have met or extended every MOU/Contract signed. Do contact zincleadore@aol.com for supply inquiry, We also have Zircon sand, Silica, Iron and a 24/7 production line.
Re: Nigeria Signs $3.7b Coal Mining And Power Plant by blackjack123: 11:52am On Aug 20, 2013
thats davidos father.
Re: Nigeria Signs $3.7b Coal Mining And Power Plant by steveec122(m): 12:02pm On Aug 20, 2013
otijah: who be this deluded clown? Seun you need to be carefull in giving people pass in this NL
How does his comment offend you. That is his own opinion, you know?
Re: Nigeria Signs $3.7b Coal Mining And Power Plant by steveec122(m): 12:25pm On Aug 20, 2013
You are correct in the first sentence but do not understand the Engineering in the second. You consider the Capacity of a transformer and the intended Loads not streets. 1000 streets/houses with only radio sets and simple flat screen tv can be conveniently powered by a 250KVA transformer. Unit of measurements(UoM) are very important in Engineering not Streets,houses etc. What Nigeria need is A Technical attendant attached to a transformer,who's job is to give report of Loading(New Users),Balancing Load and monitoring of Short circuitry and illegal connections, he will be reporting to a district Leader who compiles the data to a central office, who then compares it with the tariffs accrued and Energy supplied. Engineering Management Consultant:2348037749183

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oshiomhole, Umar Mustapha Pay Condolence Visit To Shettima, Borno Governor / Kerosene Subsidy: Marketers May Sell Above N200/L - Vangaurd / Tony Attah: LNG Train 7 To Attract $10 Billion Into Nigeria's Economy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.