Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,392 members, 7,781,125 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:25 AM

Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. (4877 Views)

Abimbola Fashola Hosts Christmas Party For Children Living With Disabilities / Railways: Jonathan Lacked Vision –obasanjo / FG To Privatise Railways, Inland Waterways, 6 Others In 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by IB5(f): 5:38am On Aug 20, 2013
Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Fashola(SAN), yesterday canvassed mutual collaboration between Nigeria and Russia in the development of rail transportation, saying it was the only way to safeguard and guarantee long life span for roads and highways across the country.

[b]Fashola, who spoke in Lagos House, Alausa, while hosting the Russian Ambassador to Nigeria, Nickolay Udovichenko, said Nigeria, needs to take a lot of cargo off her highways in order to extend their lifespan.
Noting that Russia has already developed such a technology, he said it was necessary that government, showed interest and begin talks with Russia to imbibe and adapt the technology in order to take more goods and heavy duty cargo off her highways.

“One thing that has interested me is the success of the Russian Railway and the expanse of development it has achieved over the years and, if I am not mistaken, the trucking by rail of several millions of cargo over about 9, 000 kilometres yearly. These are areas where, even as a country, Nigeria urgently needs to develop”, the Governor.

He told the Ambassador, “We need to take a lot of cargo off the roads, and if that technology already exists in a place like Russia, I think that our Government, not only at the state level but also at the national level, should also be showing interest and talking to you because that is the only way that I know that we can prolong the life of our roads and major highways across the country; if we can get more goods, more heavy duty cargo trucked by rail”.[/b]

“So these are some of the areas that I think in terms of economic cooperation between our two countries and the states that are consisting of those two federations and also that a lot can be done. I think your visit sets the ball in motion and I am anxious, to put it mildly, to explore possibilities”, he said.

Noting the desire of the Ambassador for collaboration in cultural and business exchanges between Lagos and Russia, Governor Fashola declared, “I am sure you will be hearing a lot more from our agencies in the next few weeks and in the next few months”, .
tion to him to visit Saint Petersburg, Governor Fashola, who said he had known much about the history and rich tradition of the city as a student of European History hinted that his team would visit the city in due course.

“St. Petersburg is a city that I am familiar with as a student of European History so I have some knowledge of its history and its very rich tradition even in the old Soviet Union and I have kept some track of its development in the advent of what one may call a more democratic Russia today. I certainly look forward ultimately in meeting the Governor”, he said.
Thanking the Ambassador for the courtesy of his visit, Governor Fashola pledged, “I will only commit that our Government here will give you that support that you need to discharge your responsibilities efficiently. I thank you for the courtesy of this visit and for your condolence message and you have my assurances for a very successful tenure and the support of all our team”.

Earlier, in his opening remarks, the Russian Ambassador, who condoled with the Governor over the passage of his father, also expressed the desire to discuss bilateral and business relations with Lagos saying he had heard a lot of reports about the Governor which, according to him, “are very positive”.
“I arrived here three months ago and I have heard a lot from people who tell me your activities in Lagos and I salute your efforts to improve the life in Lagos”, the Ambassador said adding that in terms of bilateral relations with Nigeria he intends to be a facilitator and not a mediator.

Expressing the strong desire to boost the political and economic relations already existing between the two countries, especially in the areas of Education, the Ambassador pledged to do his best to realize and deepen the relationship during his tenure.
He said the desire of the Governor and his team to visit Saint Petersburg was welcome and the government was eagerly waiting to receive the team from Lagos and to start a possible cooperation between the City and Lagos.

“Saint Petersburg is a city of only, I can say, about five million people. It is not very much like Lagos, but it is a very historical city”, the ambassador said adding that he had no doubt that the Governor and his team would admire it.
Noting that he had been in discussion with the Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI), the Ambassador also promised to invite a business delegation not only to Nigeria but to Lagos adding, “I consider that Lagos is a very big city, the centre of business of this country”.

According to the Ambassador, who said he would also try to invite the Russian cultural group to come and perform in Lagos, “I am ready to work hard in order to improve our bilateral relationship”.
Also present, were the Commissioners for Works and Infrastructure, Dr. Obafemi Hamzat and Tourism and Inter-Governmental Relations, Mr. Disun Holloway, the Commissioner for Waterfront Infrastructure Development, Prince Segun Oniru, the Acting Chairman of the All Progressive Congress, Chief Henry Oladele Ajomale and the Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on Foreign Relations, Ms Toyin Caxton-Martins, while the Ambassador was accompanied by the Senior Counselor, Economic Affairs of the Embassy, and Counselor, Head of Lagos Offic.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/fashola-seeks-nigeria-russia-cooperation-in-railways/
Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by Chingilicious: 9:45am On Aug 20, 2013
Niceeeeee;1st to comment smileyNiceeeeee;1st to comment

1 Like

Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by drstan(m): 9:46am On Aug 20, 2013
Sincerly fashola is trying, atleast He is the 4th governor i can give credit to in all the governor in nigeria, but been the 4th governor is not a bad rating because there are many competitors, but one day he shall be the 1st, in as much he was the 1st in one post but his effort was hidden by a corrupt mod, any way now he is the 4th, 2 C

4 Likes

Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by wellmax(m): 9:46am On Aug 20, 2013
Fashola, well done.
Though it seems impossible for him to be Nigerian president, he would make a good one.

4 Likes

Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by Nobody: 9:48am On Aug 20, 2013
Less than 5 comments and it's already on front page?
Smh at Mods

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by executinal(m): 9:49am On Aug 20, 2013
Good move.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by Nobody: 9:49am On Aug 20, 2013
#team fashola. click like

21 Likes

Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by moscobabs(m): 9:51am On Aug 20, 2013
Fashola for President....2015!!!

18 Likes

Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by YesBosss(m): 9:53am On Aug 20, 2013
Nice one. Eko Oni Baje

5 Likes

Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by Nobody: 9:54am On Aug 20, 2013
After getting criticisms from some shady igbo politicians, the man has gone ahead with another progress.

fashola you are a juggernaut.

4 Likes

Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by Nobody: 9:55am On Aug 20, 2013
Fashola is already President of Lagos. With or without Nigeria, he is moving on with his own vision. Well done Fashola.

6 Likes

Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by amnestylaw1(m): 9:57am On Aug 20, 2013
Russian Railway has been one of the world's largest and best. One needs to watch BBC to see the success that the Russians have made. Fahola is making a right move and he needs ti be commended. I wouldn't be surprised if this thread generates another e- war on Yoruba vs Igbo, Fashola vs PDP or even about his not so good developmental projects.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by Nobody: 9:58am On Aug 20, 2013
why are we always seeking other Nation's cooperation,why cant they seek our?

well,if it will yield good result,BABA Fash,no lele.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by amiskurie(m): 10:02am On Aug 20, 2013
ema dami duro!

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by Nobody: 10:04am On Aug 20, 2013
Good news, i don't know why nigeria-russia relations are lagging. There was a time there was a talk of nuclear technology with the russians at the federal level, i don't know what happened. Since we are now friends with the chinese, why not russia at least we can enjoy the perks that comes with it.
DICLAIMER- do not start a revolution in nigeria our situation isn't bad at all. China and russia would certainly not support a foreign intervention in nigeria, they will veto any move by the UN to interfere(thank God for russia and china). So start anything stupid and Nigeria would suffer for a loooooooooong time.
Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by babyboy3(m): 10:05am On Aug 20, 2013
amnestylaw1: Russian Railway has been one of the world's largest and best. One needs to watch BBC to see the success that the Russians have made. Fahola is making a right move and he needs ti be commended. I wouldn't be surprised if this thread generates another e- war on Yoruba vs Igbo, Fashola vs PDP or even about his not so good developmental projects.

Count down starts

[size=18pt]09:59[/size]

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by Symphony007: 10:05am On Aug 20, 2013
It's so sad how pres. Jonathan has ignored the russia-nigerian relationship since he assumed power, guess his boses his washington has restrained him. Pres. Yar adua really created a powerfull relationship with the russians and even medvedev visited nigeria as president. There are a lot of russian billionaires looking for where to invest, what has the u.s to offer us than snubs?

10 Likes

Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by 1blacboi(m): 10:08am On Aug 20, 2013
Good Move by Fashola. We can only hope for the best

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by Fazhy: 10:13am On Aug 20, 2013
just 5 million people in Saint Petersburg?

Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by TCUBE(m): 10:15am On Aug 20, 2013
I sometimes wonder if Lagos is still part of Nigeria. Isn't it interesting that foreign dignitaries now prefer to meet with a governor instead of the president of the country?

14 Likes

Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by meforyou1(m): 10:21am On Aug 20, 2013
TCUBE: I sometimes wonder if Lagos is still part of Nigeria. Isn't interesting that foreign dignitaries now prefer to meet with a governor instead of the president of the country?
sharap. The ambassador went for a condolence visit.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by taharqa: 10:24am On Aug 20, 2013
TCUBE: I sometimes wonder if Lagos is still part of Nigeria. Isn't interesting that foreign dignitaries now prefer to meet with a governor instead of the president of the country?
PROPAGANDA don turn this one head into a new Crazibee...smfhv. BIG DEAL. Ambassadors visit various State Governors all d time. It is so Routine. The only reason you are over-hearing it in this instance is that d Considerable Lagos Propaganda Machine is playing it over and over again, precisely for Weak minds like yours. I wud say they are doing a 'good' job at that; plenty of such persons around...
Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by TCUBE(m): 10:26am On Aug 20, 2013
taharqa: PROPAGANDA don turn this one head into a Crazibee...smh. Big deal. Ambassadors visit various State Governors all d time. It is so Routine. The only reason you are over-hearing it in this instance is that d Considerable Lagos Propaganda Machine is playing it over and over again, precisely for Weak minds like yours. I wud say they are doing a 'good' job at that; plenty of such persons around...

There is no need to insult me. I was just alluding to the trend that I have being noticing about lagos. Think outside the box. I think the government of Lagos believes they can exist on it's own. That was my point OGBENI!!!!

6 Likes

Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by TCUBE(m): 10:28am On Aug 20, 2013
me_for_you: sharap. The ambassador went for a condolence visit.

watch your mouth fingers boi

1 Like

Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by bhidex007: 10:31am On Aug 20, 2013
nice one My Governor. We nid the Railway...

1 Like

Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by alaoeri: 10:39am On Aug 20, 2013
Oga Fash doing the work of GEJ na wah oh.

4 Likes

Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by slimming: 10:47am On Aug 20, 2013
The quality of a good leader is knowing what to do in any giving situation.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Hosts Russian Ambassador, Seeks Nig-russia Cooperation In Railways. by Symphony007: 10:53am On Aug 20, 2013
Gh
TCUBE: I sometimes wonder if Lagos is still part of Nigeria. Isn't it interesting that foreign dignitaries now prefer to meet with a governor instead of the president of the country?
there is nothing new in that. Ambassadors and indeed countries seek relations with states because of buisness partnerships and securing state contracts for companies from their country. The prime minister of france visited rivers state last year. That does'nt undermine the supremacy of mr president who all ambassadors present their letters of credence to before resuming duty.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

List Of Incubent Lawmakers Who Were Defeated In The APC Primaries In Lagos State / BREAKING: Portfolios Of New Ministerial Nominees Finally LEAKED!… / Hillary Clinton Linked With Major Boko Haram Sponsor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.