Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,528 members, 7,770,355 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 09:49 AM

Jarus' Exclusive Interview With Nuhu Ribadu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jarus' Exclusive Interview With Nuhu Ribadu (11490 Views)

Little Girl Tells Nuhu Gidado She Will Be A Deputy Gov Too / Exclusive Interview With Captured Boko-Haram Terrorists; Beg FG For Amnesty / Today Is Nuhu Ribadu's Birthday. Your Wish Or Advice To Him. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jarus' Exclusive Interview With Nuhu Ribadu by Nobody: 7:27pm On Aug 23, 2013
Good day Mallam. I am the founder of jraushub.com, a Nigerian portal with focus on career, mentorship and political economy. Thank you for doing me the honour of accepting this interview request. I will focus more on your career, personality and life, and less on politics, because the blog is primarily for the former.

JH: You read law for first and second degrees at the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, yet you joined the Nigerian Police Force. It doesn’t appear to me that a law graduate (with second degree for that matter) would want to settle for Policing as his career today. Do you agree with me? Why did you join the Police Force? Why has the Force become so unattractive to fine minds today?

NR: Choosing a career can be a tough decision for young graduates whose only ambition is settling down for just whatever brings fat salaries home. But this was not so when I set out on my journey into the Nigerian Police Force; I had learnt a lot, especially in the course of my youth Service, about the impacts of fighting crimes as a law enforcement officer and, more importantly, as one with a background in Law. I had realised that if you really want to practise Law, Nigeria Police Force gives you the best opportunities, because every form of crime keeps coming to your desk and challenging you to put your legal skills to use until the day you’re retired.

The Police Force is a career that either sharpens or destroys your conscience, which is why it’s too important to be left for uninspired and emotionally unresponsive citizens. In my case, I chose to be a policeman out of sheer passion and sensitivity to the happenings around me. The satisfaction derived from fighting crimes and being able to entrench the rule of law was all that mattered to me. I always wanted to be on the side of the weak and fighting for justice. These pursuits of justice dominated my life that I had had so many convictions as a prosecutor before I was appointed EFCC Chairman. There is no place to practise public law better than in the Nigerian Police.

Our people actually find police force unattractive because of the lack of distinction between elite police and the rank-and-file cops on the street. I was more of a public prosecutor than a general duty policeman. I spent most of my time as policeman in mufti, pursuing cases. In fact, my first stint of public service was as an NYSC lawyer with the Special Investigation Panel (SIP) that tried second republic politicians during General Muhammadu Buhari’s regime.

I must correct that my second degree was actually earned while in the service. This tells you the focus and determination that come with being passionate about one’s profession. Policemen face the same stigmatisations all over the world, which is understandable because nobody is expected to love someone paid to ensure the people abide by the law, a power that can be abused.

Unlike in the US where you have distinct system, separating elite police like the FBI from local policemen, Nigeria operates a unitary police where the elite and rank-and-file officers lack requisite distinctions. The Nigerian police also suffered under the military regimes. The military purposely refused to develop the police force; it was under-funded and denied a space to grow into a respectable system. I think these are some of the reasons why many are unwilling to pursue a career in the police force.

http://www.jraushub.com/i-am-a-liverpool-fan-ribadu-tells-jraushub/
Re: Jarus' Exclusive Interview With Nuhu Ribadu by Nobody: 7:27pm On Aug 23, 2013
JH: You come across as very passionate about Nigeria. What drives your passion?

I don’t think this is an unusual trait. Everyone who is sensitive to the happenings around him naturally develops a passion to either redeem or refuse to contribute to aberrant activities. Being passionate is just a form of silent protests to criticisms that certain things can’t be done. With passion, everything is achievable. My own passion is driven by willingness to serve people, to see a Nigeria where citizens go to bed well-fed and with their eyes closed. My passion is driven by allergies to injustice and dishonesty in private and public endeavours.

JH: Segun Adeniyi, in an interview he granted this blog recently, said one of his toughest times as presidential spokesperson to late President Yar’Adua was during the ‘Ribadu drama at EFCC’. Have you forgiven the late President on the manner your exit from EFCC was hatched?

NR: Forgiveness is necessary to build trust for the future. I have forgiven Umaru, unconditionally. But you must know that the needless witch-hunts were masterminded by some aggrieved people who could not get away with their wrongs while we were in office. What I passed through were enough to get me holding lifetime grudges against those involved, but there is no space for hate in my heart. I have forgiven and moved on to better things, and paying attention to that tragic episode of the past is really a distraction at this stage in life.

2 Likes

Re: Jarus' Exclusive Interview With Nuhu Ribadu by Nobody: 7:28pm On Aug 23, 2013
JH: Many people will vow that you are one of the cleanest public officers Nigeria has seen in recent times, giving your refusal to accept Ibori’s US$15m as the strongest proof. Are you doing anything to mentor young Nigerians to imbibe the virtues of honesty and integrity?

NR: Mentorship is not having a group of younger people together in a classroom; it’s not all about teaching the virtues or ethics of serving humanity. Mentorship is living a life worthy of emulation. The resolve to mentor or become an exemplar is merely by practising what qualifies for honest, noble and transparent. Attempting to deliberately mentor people is, in my perception, a dishonest approach to mentorship. You have to be even unconsciously honest and against anything that seeks to have you going against your will.

I am, however, flattered that people find me worthy of being their role model, and for this trust I always I use every opportunity I have to interact with them and share my ideas, thoughts and motivations in expecting that such may inspire others to tread the path of honour. There is no accomplishment greater than a conscience that not only comforts but gives you a reason to be happy.

Years after I left office, I’m still contented with all I have, and happier than those who stashed taxpayers money in foreign accounts and built mansions all over the world. I have no regrets for my decisions to tread this path, it’s comforting. Aside from the salary account I opened as a public officer, the only other account I have was when I had a job in the US and my subsequent work in Afghanistan. I may say that being married to just one wife all my life helped me keep my expenses low; my legitimate incomes have been enough for us.

JH: What advice do you have for my readers, and Nigeria’s teeming youths in general?

NR: While I’m concerned that the destiny of every nation and people is tied to the evolution of its politics, I want the
youth to start the needed reforms with themselves, by recognising their place and relevance in the affairs of the nation. The youth must stand together to resist being hoodwinked to hate fellow countrymen on basis of religious or ethnic differences, instead of remaining sensitive to misgovernance of the country.

You see, contrary to certain beliefs, you don’t need to be a public figure or in position of authority to pave the way to a social or political change. It’s just your resolve to stand upright in spite of expected temptations, it’s just your resolve to be a part of the change agents ready to engage and revive our dying and dead institutions. This is what I have for the youth of this country.

2 Likes

Re: Jarus' Exclusive Interview With Nuhu Ribadu by Nobody: 7:29pm On Aug 23, 2013
JH: On a final and lighter note sir, let me go a bit into your personal life. How do you unwind? Do you do any sports? Which football club, if any, do you support?

NR: Well, I spent quite a lot of time reading. And if I’m not following news on TV, I may be with my family. Being with family is itself a relaxing moment. I must admit that I do a lot of physical exercises now that I’m getting old (laughs).

I watch a lot of sporting activities from football to tennis. In terms of supporting a team, I promoted a football club here in Abuja to premiership level when I was at the EFCC. I have always been passionate about football.

At the international level, I support Liverpool FC. I remain a loyal fan, not willing to walk alone despite the unfavourable seasons. I’m happy that we begin this season with a victory against Stoke City. It’s a sign of the good things ahead for the Reds!

Thanks for your time sir.

2 Likes

Re: Jarus' Exclusive Interview With Nuhu Ribadu by maclatunji: 7:30pm On Aug 23, 2013
^Nice!

2 Likes

Re: Jarus' Exclusive Interview With Nuhu Ribadu by Nobody: 7:40pm On Aug 23, 2013
No pictures?

When are you going to interview Muhammadu Buhari?

8 Likes

Re: Jarus' Exclusive Interview With Nuhu Ribadu by Nobody: 7:45pm On Aug 23, 2013
berem: No pictures?

When are you going to interview Muhammadu Buhari?
Tracking him.. wink

2 Likes

Re: Jarus' Exclusive Interview With Nuhu Ribadu by Nobody: 7:54pm On Aug 23, 2013
Thumbs up jarus

1 Like

Re: Jarus' Exclusive Interview With Nuhu Ribadu by Nobody: 7:55pm On Aug 23, 2013
Jarus:
Tracking him.. wink
cool! can't wait for that. please in case you have an interview with him, tell him his fans are here on nairaland. especially me. cool

10 Likes

Re: Jarus' Exclusive Interview With Nuhu Ribadu by Nobody: 7:57pm On Aug 23, 2013
berem: cool! can't wait for that. please in case you have an interview with him, tell him his fans are here on nairaland. especially me. cool

No problems. We will pull it off. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Jarus' Exclusive Interview With Nuhu Ribadu by yiboboy: 8:00pm On Aug 23, 2013
Good job Jarus. Please focus on whats important and ignore the fools!

3 Likes

Re: Jarus' Exclusive Interview With Nuhu Ribadu by MajHeadache: 8:03pm On Aug 23, 2013
Jarus:
and how is that your headache?

NOT MY PROBLEM.
Re: Jarus' Exclusive Interview With Nuhu Ribadu by misterh(m): 8:04pm On Aug 23, 2013
Nice interview. Ribadu still remains one of my public office holders (past & present) in Nigeria. He's truly an example of sincerity & modesty.
Re: Jarus' Exclusive Interview With Nuhu Ribadu by MajHeadache: 8:08pm On Aug 23, 2013
misterh: Nice interview. Ribadu still remains one of my public office holders (past & present) in Nigeria. He's truly an example of sincerity & modesty.

Ribadau owns choice properties in Dubai with money he acquired during his reign as the head of the EFCC.

The level of daylight naked hypocrisy on display in this useless country is unbelievable.

The same ribadau that did OBJ's dirty witch hunting.

You guys either fell on your heads when you were babies or you are genetically daft!

Keep recycling rubbish and when the dung heap mounts don't complain about the stench.

Niggerians!

14 Likes

Re: Jarus' Exclusive Interview With Nuhu Ribadu by siddiq202(m): 8:10pm On Aug 23, 2013
Now we know he's a Liverpool fan. Who knows, Buhari might be a Madridista grin

Well done
Re: Jarus' Exclusive Interview With Nuhu Ribadu by Tolexander: 8:14pm On Aug 23, 2013
Jarus:
Tracking him.. wink
ori e pe jare suraju!

Nice work from you cos the guy really made me understand somethings about carrier.

Anytime i remember Nuhu Ribadu, the day he was drilled by akinola saburi(oau sug president) always come to my thought.

1 Like

Re: Jarus' Exclusive Interview With Nuhu Ribadu by tbaba1234: 8:15pm On Aug 23, 2013
Good job.
Re: Jarus' Exclusive Interview With Nuhu Ribadu by Maxymilliano(m): 8:26pm On Aug 23, 2013
Jarus:
NR: Forgiveness is necessary to build trust for the future. I have forgiven Umaru, unconditionally.

Yeah, forgiveness is necessary, same way the much maligned Goodluck Jonathan forgave and pardoned him of the many infractions leveled against him by his kinsman from Kastina, Late Umaru Yar'adua, and offered him a lifeline to return back to the country after he embarked on a self-impose exile following his demotion, unceremonious dismissal and an arrest warrant on his head from the same Police force he claimed to serve ...

Nice one Jarus ...
Re: Jarus' Exclusive Interview With Nuhu Ribadu by Nobody: 8:47pm On Aug 23, 2013
Tolexander: ori e pe jare suraju!

Nice work from you cos the guy really made me understand somethings about carrier.

Anytime i remember Nuhu Ribadu, the day he was drilled by akinola saburi(oau sug president) always come to my thought.

That was 2007. I don leave Ife then. wink
Re: Jarus' Exclusive Interview With Nuhu Ribadu by FindOut(m): 9:18pm On Aug 23, 2013
Maj. Headache:

Ribadau owns choice properties in Dubai with money he acquired during his reign as the head of the EFCC.

The level of daylight naked hypocrisy on display in this useless country is unbelievable.

The same ribadau that did OBJ's dirty witch hunting.

You guys either fell on your heads when you were babies or you are genetically daft!

Keep recycling rubbish and when the dung heap mounts don't complain about the stench.

Niggerians!

It would be quite ideal and infact, necessary to question your sanity if you CANNOT provide proof of the so called Dubai properties, or any evidence that Ribadu is cleary living above his means. I am yet to see any public office holder in Nigeria who will return/report a whooping 15million dollars bribe money! 15million dollars CASH!

It is just so sad that in Nigeria, it is those people who have served the country selflessy and still live quite modestly clearly enough for all to see, that we villify; while we celebrate the thieves in our midst. These thieves even enjoy the support of those who do not benefit from their loot! It's absurd.
Ribadu, like Buhari, Jakande, Fashola, Lamido, Akunyili, e.t.c. is not a perfect person, but there is no doubt that if we have leaders in the mould of these people mentioned above, we can begin to have some hope for Nigeria as the pace of development will undoubtedly be a lot quicker than we are witnessing now. Instead we sit here hailing bonafide crooks like Ibori, Atiku, Tinubu, OBJ and Goodluck Jonathan. Rubbish.

Let us use the EFCC as an example to gauge our progress as a nation, now can anyone, even Fareeda Waziri's children, tell me that the EFCC has not lost its steam & effectiveness since Ribadu left the place? Ribadu showed that with the right people, institutions CAN be effective even in this Nigeria! But now, we make up all sorts of silly excuses for those at the helm of affairs managing key sectors attributing their incompetence and lack of performance to the "system which cannot change overnight".

41 Likes

Re: Jarus' Exclusive Interview With Nuhu Ribadu by MajHeadache: 9:23pm On Aug 23, 2013
Find Out!:

It would be quite ideal and infact, necessary to question your sanity if you CANNOT provide proof of the so called Dubai properties. I am yet to see any public office holder in Nigeria who will return/report a whooping 15million dollars bribe money. It is just so sad that in Nigeria, it is those people who have served the country selflessy and still live quite modestly clearly enough for all to see, that we villify; while we celebrate the thieves in our midst. These thieves even enjoy the support of those who do not benefit from their loot! It's absurd.
Ribadu, like Buhari, Jakande, Fashola, Lamido, Akunyili, e.t.c. are not perfect, but there is no doubt that if we have leaders in the mould of these people, then we can begin to have some hope for Nigeria. Instead we sit here hailing bonafide crooks like Tinubu, OBJ and Goodluck Jonathan. Rubbish.

To you he is a saint now. But this same Ribadu came out publicly to declare Tinibu as one of the most corrupt politicians in Nigeria.

Today, Tinibu foots the bill and as such he (ribadu) is all good.

Finally, my sanity is intact it is you level of judgement and conclusion that made you arrive at a messiah status for a man whose career path started with the most corrupt institution in the world even for Nigerian standards - The Nigerian Police.

2 Likes

Re: Jarus' Exclusive Interview With Nuhu Ribadu by FindOut(m): 9:36pm On Aug 23, 2013
Maj. Headache:

To you he is a saint now. But this same Ribadu came out publicly to declare Tinibu as one of the most corrupt politicians in Nigeria.

Finally, my sanity is intact it is you level of judgement and conclusion that made you arrive at a messiah status for a man whose career path started with the most corrupt institution in the world even for Nigerian standards - The Nigerian Police.

OK, I edited my post and added more after you quoted it but even in what you quoted, I made it clear that Ribadu is not perfect, but he presided over an agency that was very effective during his time. Dude, people were actually scared of this man, from yahoo boys in the cyber cafe to state Governors controling billions of naira! He did not do everythn right but dude, forget, he was a SUCCESS. And that is why when he lost the elections in 2011 to Goodluck Jonathan (that GEJ won 2011 elections is something our children will struggle to understand in future when they read about the profiles of all 3 candidates), he had a ready job waiting for him. I can bet you anywhwere that if not now, but definitely after GEJ leaves office, Nuhu Ribadu will command more respect than Mr President in local and international cirles...in circles where achievement in public office and not promises, is used as the yardstick for giving props to people.

9 Likes

Re: Jarus' Exclusive Interview With Nuhu Ribadu by MajHeadache: 9:45pm On Aug 23, 2013
Find Out!:

OK, I edited my post and added more after you quoted it but even in what you quoted, I made it clear that Ribadu is not perfect, but he presided over an agency that was very effective during his time. Dude, people were actually scared of this man, from yahoo boys in the cyber cafe to state Governors controling billions of naira! He did not do everythn right but dude, forget, he was a SUCCESS. And that is why when he lost the elections in 2011 to Goodluck Jonathan (that GEJ won 2011 elections is something our children will struggle to understand in future when they read about the profiles of all 3 candidates), he had a ready job waiting for him. I can bet you anywhwere that if not now, but definitely after GEJ leaves office, Nuhu Ribadu will command more respect than Mr President in local and international cirles...in circles where achievements in public office and not promises, is used as the yardstick for giving props to people.

He was OBJ's attack dog. Nobody was sacred of him but the power behind him which was OBJ.

His level of insolence was so high that he stepped on some big toes in his primary appointment office i.e. the Nigerian Police.

Ribadu during OBJ was no different from al Mustapha during Abacha. A highly insubordinate officer who OBJ broke all protocols with.

You Nigerians are highly vindictive people who expect leadership to operate on a fiat level and suppress those you feel are better than you. I say better off because , if you were in position you would have acted far worse.

This is why you crave the likes of Buhari and Ribadu because you need a village square prosecutor to condemn your perceived enemy and witch to be executed by fire burning.

4 Likes

Re: Jarus' Exclusive Interview With Nuhu Ribadu by Toktee(m): 9:57pm On Aug 23, 2013
Maj. Headache:

guy why u d fumble na,he "associate with tinubu,nd tinubu paid his bills"but u claimed that ribadu is so rich dat he has choice properties in dubai,pls provide the proof or just keep quiet pls

6 Likes

Re: Jarus' Exclusive Interview With Nuhu Ribadu by FindOut(m): 10:06pm On Aug 23, 2013
Maj. Headache:

He was OBJ's attack dog. Nobody was sacred of him but the power behind him which was OBJ.

Fallacy. Wetin "consign" the yahoo boy wey dey cybercafe with baba Obj? Why didnt Ibori approach OBJ with his 15 million dollar bribe then? It appears you have some axe to grind with this man but hey, we were all alive then, and we havnt forgotten so no need to give us a new interpretation of events.

Maj. Headache:
His level of insolence was so high that he stepped on some big toes in his primary appointment office i.e. the Nigerian Police.

Many times, being principled and disciplined often comes across as insolence and pride. Try to distinguish between these things. That said, for the 3rd time, i'll tell you again that Ribadu was not perfect.

Maj. Headache:
Ribadu during OBJ was no different from al Mustapha during Abacha. A highly insubordinate officer who OBJ broke all protocols with.

Really? So why is Ribadu not in court today battling one lawsuit after another? Say something else abeg. Even if you wish to compare them, at least one was killing people while the other was making life very difficult for corrupt elements. I'm yet to see anyone Ribadu vigorously prosecuted and was later revealed to have clean hands.

Maj. Headache:
You Nigerians are highly vindictive people who expect leadership to operate on a fiat level and suppress those you feel are better than you. I say better off because , if you were in position you would have acted far worse.
Its funny but I should be saying the bolded to you but I wont, as I do not fancy that line of reasoning when criticising or applauding public servants especially. But yes, we Nigerians are angry. very angry. We are angry at the si.lly leaders who promise tobring change but end up getting there to continue the status quo. Some other people are also angry, unreasonably angry i'd say coz their own anger is directed at people of other tribes and religions & political parties when in fact our anger should be collectively directed to the crooks who buy 3 presidential jets at the same time to add to an existing 7, people who have not even done anything for their own geopolitical zone talkless of other sectors, people who are clearly unfit for the positions they occupy.

Maj. Headache:
This is why you crave the likes of Buhari and Ribadu because you need a village square prosecutor to condemn your perceived enemy and witch to be executed by fire burning.

The enemy is not perceived, it is real. & yes we need them properly dealt with to serve as a deterrent to other upcoming theives and looters. We need discipline in this country, and it so happens that we need it from the top. Enough of kid gloves approach bro. We need a revolution, not one involving protests and bloodshed, but a revolution in leadership...though the rate at which Nigeria is going, a bit of the former might be needed (but better avoided) to bring about the latter. Time is going, the world around us is moving fast...& leaving Nigeria further behind.

Good evening.

17 Likes

Re: Jarus' Exclusive Interview With Nuhu Ribadu by MajHeadache: 10:07pm On Aug 23, 2013
Toktee: guy why u d fumble na,he "associate with tinubu,nd tinubu paid his bills"but u claimed that ribadu is so rich dat he has choice properties in dubai,pls provide the proof or just keep quiet pls

it is one thing to buy properties in dubai and a totally different thing to run a campaign machinery in Nigeria where money and politics go hand in hand. why do you think Buhari is merging with tinibu? The general is broke from successive failure at the polls.

You can paint him as pure snow white but some of us can never be fooled.

Ribadu was a corrupt policeman before he became EFCC boss. Ribadu not only misappropriated EFCC funds through awards of shady contracts and shoddy investigation and trial funds but he also appropriated seized properties from suspects to himself and associates.

2 Likes

Re: Jarus' Exclusive Interview With Nuhu Ribadu by MajHeadache: 10:10pm On Aug 23, 2013
@find out:

what about Tinibu? arguebly tinibu is the most corrupt politician after obasonjo.

why do you choose to choose your trials?

if u r against corruption, then the likes of tinibu, fashola, buhari and babangida will be on your top list.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"2021 Budget Has 316 Duplicated Projects Worth N39.5bn" - BudgIT Nigeria / Buhari Advises Consensus Option At APC National Convention / President Jonathan's New Year Suprise For 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.