Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,963 members, 7,806,787 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:05 AM

History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) (14864 Views)

How Gov Obiano Is Transforming Awka To A Modern City Pics Of Old And New Awka / Biafra VS Boko Haram. Pix Of Their Arraignment / Pix Of Gov Rochas Okorocha As Surprise Uninvited Guest At A Wedding Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by thoth: 1:06am On Aug 25, 2013
kunlekunle:

u shd remind him of ogendengbe's statement. that after the kiriji war there would never be a single war again in and on yoruba land. all were involved and suffered.
thats why the igbos are struggling to create a monolithic system in the east.
Igbos are fiercly democratic, you should study more on Igbo history. Nobody bows to another human being as kings, even where there were kings you dare not bow down to him, that is simply not igbo culture to be slaves to another man.
T8ksy:

Ibadan is not the only town that owes its creation to yorubas internal conflicts. Abeokuta is another classical example. They were WARS. Even the colonialists witnessed some of them and they recorded it as WARS but you guys who have no recorded history of having participated in any major war (save the biafran war which you lost, woefully) demeans it in your usual malicious trait by calling it "wrestling contest". Yet you guys have not been able to show us any culture that created an empire as big as the Oyo empire from wrestling contests.

Igbos are the only tribe from all the tribes that constitute mordern Nigeria that fought the British as a nation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ekumeku_Movement, with a truly advanced chain of command. Igbos waged war on the invading British soldiers for 12 solid years as one united nation. there are less than 4 places in Africa that such has happened, what we have rather in other places like Yoruba land is each group fighting for itself and town after town taken.
Igbos are a civilized nation with laws guiding its engagement with other tribes long before they encountered the Europeans. It is the Ekumeku Resistance and unity of the igbos that sparked the British fear and distrust of the Igbo till today. you should do some research on that.

1 Like

Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by kunlekunle: 3:11am On Aug 25, 2013
thoth:
Igbos are fiercly democratic, you should study more on Igbo history. Nobody bows to another human being as kings, even where there were kings you dare not bow down to him, that is simply not igbo culture to be slaves to another man.

Igbos are the only tribe from all the tribes that constitute mordern Nigeria that fought the British as a nation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ekumeku_Movement, with a truly advanced chain of command. Igbos waged war on the invading British soldiers for 12 solid years as one united nation. there are less than 4 places in Africa that such has happened, what we have rather in other places like Yoruba land is each group fighting for itself and town after town taken.
Igbos are a civilized nation with laws guiding its engagement with other tribes long before they encountered the Europeans. It is the Ekumeku Resistance and unity of the igbos that sparked the British fear and distrust of the Igbo till today. you should do some research on that.

can you provide a detailed research of your history from just 17th century?

1 Like

Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by Nobody: 6:48am On Aug 25, 2013
thoth:

"Towns after towns were captured in Yorubaland" So Igboland is now Ethiopia, nobody captured them? The other organized army I have seen (from movies) against the Europeans were the Zulus of South Africa, but they have a King which they bow down to and respect a lot! So also the Ethiopians who were never colonized, correct me please if Im wrong.
Every nation or group of people respect or bow down to whoever is leading them, think of not bowing down to a British King/Queen when they were in vogue! If your people did/doesn't respect your leaders/elders/kings/obis/igwes, then I think you are one of the most arrogant and disrespectful race on earth! We Yorubas bown down and respect our leaders/kings/Obas a lot and in return we expect them to govern us well, if they do not? We have checks and balances like the Ogbonis(secret council of elders) and others and even the ordinary commoners have power (in group) to deal with their leaders!

4 Likes

Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by emiye(m): 7:22am On Aug 25, 2013
Pix now uploaded
Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by T8ksy(m): 7:54am On Aug 25, 2013
kunlekunle:

u shd let him realise no one studied igbo empire in sec school?

Not even Nri kingdom.
Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by Nobody: 8:09am On Aug 25, 2013
emiye: Pix now uploaded
The pic seems to be taken from Mapo hill and they have dual carriage way! I still wish to know the year the picture was taken, it looks prety advanced!
Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by thoth: 11:17am On Aug 25, 2013
cogitoErgo: "Towns after towns were captured in Yorubaland" So Igboland is now Ethiopia, nobody captured them? The other organized army I have seen (from movies) against the Europeans were the Zulus of South Africa, but they have a King which they bow down to and respect a lot! So also the Ethiopians who were never colonized, correct me please if Im wrong.
Every nation or group of people respect or bow down to whoever is leading them, think of not bowing down to a British King/Queen when they were in vogue! If your people did/doesn't respect your leaders/elders/kings/obis/igwes, then I think you are one of the most arrogant and disrespectful race on earth! We Yorubas bown down and respect our leaders/kings/Obas a lot and in return we expect them to govern us well, if they do not? We have checks and balances like the Ogbonis(secret council of elders) and others and even the ordinary commoners have power (in group) to deal with their leaders!
I gave you a wikipedia link to read but i doubt you are the type that would take his time to read.

Sorry we had no Igwes until the Europeans came , you should read more about the Igbo form of Democracy, much more better than what you have today, Igbos bow to nobody. The British has a really hard time trying to impose kingship on us..do your research.

If you think that bowing to someone and having the fate of a nation decided by one man is humility then you really don't know what being a free human being means. use google and research on the Igbo concept of Amadi(A freeborn) , being a leader does not make you God in igbo land you are just a leader in the sense of a manager and that means in other spheres you should respect the opinions of other men whom has been assigned to manage that and whom in your own sphere might have to listen to you.

Again read the Wikipedia link i gave you.

2 Likes

Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by kunlekunle: 12:17pm On Aug 25, 2013
thoth:
I gave you a wikipedia link to read but i doubt you are the type that would take his time to read.

Sorry we had no Igwes until the Europeans came , you should read more about the Igbo form of Democracy, much more better than what you have today, Igbos bow to nobody. The British has a really hard time trying to impose kingship on us..do your research.

If you think that bowing to someone and having the fate of a nation decided by one man is humility then you really don't know what being a free human being means. use google and research on the Igbo concept of Amadi(A freeborn) , being a leader does not make you God in igbo land you are just a leader in the sense of a manager and that means in other spheres you should respect the opinions of other men whom has been assigned to manage that and whom in your own sphere might have to listen to you.

why was ojukwu able to start the biafra war?

Again read the Wikipedia link i gave you.
Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by Nobody: 2:11pm On Aug 25, 2013
@ thoth, I dont want to derail this thread, its about the history and beauty of Ibadan.
This is from the link you gave:
The Ekumeku Movement is
unique in Anioma history for
two reasons. First, the length
of time the movement
endured, comprising Military
campaigns over a period of
thirty one years. Secondly it is
the outstanding example in
Anioma Civilization of an
attempt to unite previously
disunited states to resist the
invader.
compare the second point to the battle of Osogbo by the Yorubas against the invading Fulanis, then u will see that even though Yorubas seem separated but they are very united when it comes to serious external agression!
Below is an extract from: www.odili.net/news/source/2011/sep/6/600.html
on Osogbo war:
"Contrary to the above, efforts would
be made to show that Fulani
elements from Ilorin were repelled
by combined Yoruba forces, drawn
from all supporting towns of Oyo
power, in line with defence
arrangement perfected by Yoruba
leaders led by Alaafin Atiba, at the
new capital, Agodoyo around 1837."
Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by Nobody: 3:44pm On Aug 25, 2013
Ancient Ibadan pictures look better than modern Ibadan pictures.
Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by warlei(m): 4:00pm On Aug 25, 2013
maxwello.yg:
Ancient Ibadan pictures look better than modern Ibadan pictures.
re_roofing, planting of trees,and some tiny walkways. Would bring ibadan back to modernity.
I beleive Oyo state government can work together with private companies to actualize it'
Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by Nobody: 4:09pm On Aug 25, 2013
warlei:
i beleive ibadan is a beautiful city depending on which way you see it,i have lived there for a year.
Most of my relations from ibadan cant stay in lagos 4 1 week they will run back 2 ibadan.
i'm hoping to establish a foundation,that will fund the re-roofing of this city and building of little walkways with street lights
Im from ondo,bt IB and ABK are 2 cities i love with passion.
When ever i see early pictures of ibadan. I see what AWO beleived in.

Bless your heart bruv....

Odua boy, your first posts were very unnecessary and childish.
Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by gbadexy(m): 4:55pm On Aug 25, 2013
Does that mean sango lived during the 19th century? Because I read where he ordered ibadan town formed by lagelu to be destroyed and the lagelu formed eba odan around 1830.
Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by Horus(m): 5:07pm On Aug 25, 2013
Re: History Of Ibadan (pix Of Old Ibadan) by thoth: 8:29am On Aug 27, 2013
cogitoErgo: @ thoth, I dont want to derail this thread, its about the history and beauty of Ibadan.
Lets keep it on Ibadan then..nice thread though.

(1) (2) (Reply)

President Yayi Of Republic Of Benin Showers Praises On President Jonathan -photo / Obaseki’s Reforms, Oshiomhole, APC And Warnings Ahead Of 2020 By Alilebby / El-Rufai’s Book Is An Intellectual Fraud - Soludo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.