Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,978 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:58 AM

General New Zealand Student Enquires - Travel (46) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General New Zealand Student Enquires (210026 Views)

New Zealand Student Visa / Australia Or New Zealand Student Visa! / New Zealand Student Visa: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (51) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by daylaysongs: 1:53am On Dec 08, 2022
Ticha:

NZ education is expensive. Fees are much of a muchness regardless of the level. You will find a degree qual is as expensive as a post graduate qualification. Only PhDs are cheap at about $7k ish and you will need very strong academic and employment skills to even get a PhD supervisor.
There are only 8 universities and only a handful of colleges offer post graduate quals so it doesn't have the glut of education providers that other countries have. You will struggle to get any vocational qual admission or even a visa to study a vocational qualification.
The visit visa rules allows for upto 3 months of study but you will still have to show a substantial amount of money/ income/ ties to your home country to be granted a visit visa.

Basically, if you have NZ on your radar, be prepared to spend
thanks you so much for the prompt reply..why will i struggle to get the voc prog admssion and visa and just trying to way my options considering the huge tuition fees
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by daylaysongs: 1:56am On Dec 08, 2022
Ticha:

NZ education is expensive. Fees are much of a muchness regardless of the level. You will find a degree qual is as expensive as a post graduate qualification. Only PhDs are cheap at about $7k ish and you will need very strong academic and employment skills to even get a PhD supervisor.
There are only 8 universities and only a handful of colleges offer post graduate quals so it doesn't have the glut of education providers that other countries have. You will struggle to get any vocational qual admission or even a visa to study a vocational qualification.
The visit visa rules allows for upto 3 months of study but you will still have to show a substantial amount of money/ income/ ties to your home country to be granted a visit visa.

or which other options can i explore again apart from study route to migrate to new zealand..jst finding greener pasture you knw man must survive
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by daylaysongs: 2:00am On Dec 08, 2022
Ticha:

so if i want to migrate to new zealand via student route i will have to budget how much for the total expenses i mean from visa down to flight,tuition etc everytin per say.

1 Like

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Ticha: 2:27am On Dec 08, 2022
daylaysongs:
so if i want to migrate to new zealand via student route i will have to budget how much for the total expenses i mean from visa down to flight,tuition etc everytin per say.

You'll need to show financial evidence that equals:
1. First year of your fees (most masters programmes are 18 months to 2 years)
2. A minimum of $20K NZD as living expenses.

You will also need to show at least 6 months worth of bank statements

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by daylaysongs: 7:46am On Dec 08, 2022
Ticha:

You'll need to show financial evidence that equals:
1. First year of your fees (most masters programmes are 18 months to 2 years)
2. A minimum of $20K NZD as living expenses.

You will also need to show at least 6 months worth of bank statements

so to study in new zealand you must have over 15million(all expenses)if i can understand you very well..thats expensive
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Ichabodcrane(m): 11:04am On Dec 10, 2022
daylaysongs:
so to study in new zealand you must have over 15million(all expenses)if i can understand you very well..thats expensive
You think this is expensive?? Check Canada or Australia

1 Like

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by daylaysongs: 11:13am On Dec 10, 2022
Ichabodcrane:

You think this is expensive?? Check Canada or Australia
wow!!!So apart from this study route which other can i explore that is not that expensive..jst wan find way commot for this country jare
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by noblemed: 10:07pm On Dec 24, 2022
Please I need help regarding what I can tender as living expense fund for student visa in new Zealand. I plan using my parent pension fund account with a letter from my father supporting me for this. I have gotten different opinions while some said it's tenable and others said I can't. Please it's a little urgent and advice is needed. Anyone who has used a PFA recently for NZ living expenses?
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by plantprincess: 1:46am On Jan 12, 2023
noblemed:
Please I need help regarding what I can tender as living expense fund for student visa in new Zealand. I plan using my parent pension fund account with a letter from my father supporting me for this. I have gotten different opinions while some said it's tenable and others said I can't. Please it's a little urgent and advice is needed. Anyone who has used a PFA recently for NZ living expenses?

Hi, have you gotten the solution to this? Can we also make a group, maybe telegram group for prospective students at New Zealand for faster response to our questions?

2 Likes

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Saokelarin6942: 11:33am On Jan 17, 2023
plantprincess:

Hi, have you gotten the solution to this? Can we also make a group, maybe telegram group for prospective students at New Zealand for faster response to our questions?

Yes from from me

1 Like

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by noblemed: 12:10pm On Jan 17, 2023
plantprincess:

Yes I have gotten a solution through personal research. Yeah I will advice having a telegram group. NZ student thread is not active especially to get some urgent advice. However, I have met a wonderful applicant here also through this thread that has been of a great help with exchange views since we are both applicants with similar applications (PhD)

3 Likes

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Saokelarin6942: 9:50am On Jan 18, 2023
plantprincess:

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by dhoy: 1:03am On Jan 25, 2023
please someone should add me to the telegram group[quote author=Saokelarin6942 post=120145038][/quote]
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Saokelarin6942: 12:44pm On Jan 26, 2023
dhoy:
please someone should add me to the telegram group

I don't think any telegram group exist.

Auckland University of Technology prospective PhD applicants please reach out ó.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by GraduatesGrant(m): 12:56pm On Feb 06, 2023
Hi everyone,
Please I'm an applicant to Auckland university of technology, New Zealand.
I was assigned to a supervisor and we're working together on a formal research proposal to earn me an offer of place in mechanical engineering.
My supervisor clearly stated he does not have funding which I obliged to go ahead. So he sent me this email last night. Although, we are still working on my proposed topic.

My condition: I'm married with 2 kids aged 3 and 6 months. My wife is a graduate with 5 years experience in the banking industry. I'm aware that as a PhD student my tuition is same as domestic students and I don't have to pay for health insurance.

Please, based on my scenario, what's the possibility of succeeding with my family size with aim of my wife working upon arrival at new Zealand?

1 Like

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Ticha: 9:53pm On Feb 06, 2023
GraduatesGrant:
Hi everyone,
Please I'm an applicant to Auckland university of technology, New Zealand.
I was assigned to a supervisor and we're working together on a formal research proposal to earn me an offer of place in mechanical engineering.
My supervisor clearly stated he does not have funding which I obliged to go ahead. So he sent me this email last night. Although, we are still working on my proposed topic.

My condition: I'm married with 2 kids aged 3 and 6 months. My wife is a graduate with 5 years experience in the banking industry. I'm aware that as a PhD student my tuition is same as domestic students and I don't have to pay for health insurance.

Please, based on my scenario, what's the possibility of succeeding with my family size with aim of my wife working upon arrival at new Zealand?

You'll succeed of course but be prepared for it to be tight till you all settle. Few things to consider:

Your 3 year old will qualify for 20 hours of childcare. Most kindys will make that 6 hours x 3 days. Most day cares will make you take it either as a morning or afternoon session and make you pay for a full day. i.e. half of the day is funded and you must pay for the 2nd half to access the first half. It's how they make their money. In home care is cheaper - someone in their home looking after a children but number will be capped.

So for you wife to work full time in her field, you're looking at full time childcare (7am to 5/6pm) day-care for both children till your eldest turns 5 (school starts at 5). Then consider wrap around childcare for when school starts. Be prepared to pay at least $400 a week for your younger one if you're in Auckland or Wellington. Add on the cost of the older child and you likely will be paying $500/600 a week in childcare and your rent will be similar ish amount per week depending on where you live. It can be much higher!

Although wages might seem high, food is expensive, public transport is cheap, running a car is cheapish as car insurance is not compulsory, the housing stock will make you wish you could move your house from 9ja to here hehe. But it's definitely doable!

Good luck

The good thing is your wife will get a job in her field or an adjacent field ie Finance

1 Like

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by GraduatesGrant(m): 10:52pm On Feb 06, 2023
Ticha:

You'll succeed of course but be prepared for it to be tight till you all settle. Few things to consider:

Your 3 year old will qualify for 20 hours of childcare. Most kindys will make that 6 hours x 3 days. Most day cares will make you take it either as a morning or afternoon session and make you pay for a full day. i.e. half of the day is funded and you must pay for the 2nd half to access the first half. It's how they make their money. In home care is cheaper - someone in their home looking after a children but number will be capped.

So for you wife to work full time in her field, you're looking at full time childcare (7am to 5/6pm) day-care for both children till your eldest turns 5 (school starts at 5). Then consider wrap around childcare for when school starts. Be prepared to pay at least $400 a week for your younger one if you're in Auckland or Wellington. Add on the cost of the older child and you likely will be paying $500/600 a week in childcare and your rent will be similar ish amount per week depending on where you live. It can be much higher!

Although wages might seem high, food is expensive, public transport is cheap, running a car is cheapish as car insurance is not compulsory, the housing stock will make you wish you could move your house from 9ja to here hehe. But it's definitely doable!

Good luck

The good thing is your wife will get a job in her field or an adjacent field ie Finance

Thank you for your response. I appreciate. Please I know as a PhD student my health insurance is covered...does this coverage extend to my family as well?

1 Like

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by untamedd(f): 2:36am On Feb 07, 2023
Hello Ticha,

Thank you for always responding here. I have some questions please?

Please do you know much about the Manaaki Scholarship? I learned it requires you to go back to your country and stay two years there after the completion of your program in New Zealand. What happens if do not go back or if one travels elsewhere that is not his home country?

I saw a YouTube video that said one would have to pay back the entire value of the scholarship. How true is this please?
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Ticha: 8:43am On Feb 07, 2023
untamedd:
Hello Ticha,

Thank you for always responding here. I have some questions please?

Please do you know much about the Manaaki Scholarship? I learned it requires you to go back to your country and stay two years there after the completion of your program in New Zealand. What happens if do not go back or if one travels elsewhere that is not his home country?

I saw a YouTube video that said one would have to pay back the entire value of the scholarship. How true is this please?

You have to go back. They will book your return tickets 2 weeks after the finish of your last piece of course work. Of course people can go home and then head elsewhere but any return ticket they purchase for you will be back to your home country. If you do not return home and they know, the expectation is that you pay the money back. However, it's most likely not enforceable once you're no longer in NZ. On the other hand, it will scupper your chances of ever living or visiting or working in NZ and Australia.

The scholarships are largely down to luck. The whole of Africa has been allocated only 58 spaces this year and applications from Africa with Nigeria being the largest number of applicants averages around 25,000 applications per round since 2018.

The application portal is open now till 28th Feb NZ time so go for it!

3 Likes

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by untamedd(f): 1:09pm On Feb 09, 2023
Ticha:

You have to go back. They will book your return tickets 2 weeks after the finish of your last piece of course work. Of course people can go home and then head elsewhere but any return ticket they purchase for you will be back to your home country. If you do not return home and they know, the expectation is that you pay the money back. However, it's most likely not enforceable once you're no longer in NZ. On the other hand, it will scupper your chances of ever living or visiting or working in NZ and Australia.

The scholarships are largely down to luck. The whole of Africa has been allocated only 58 spaces this year and applications from Africa with Nigeria being the largest number of applicants averages around 25,000 applications per round since 2018.

Understood. Thanks a lot for the explanation.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by EZEUDENE(m): 12:12am On Feb 20, 2023
Ticha:

Hello Ticha must I go through study visa?
I really need help please

If you can drop your WhatsApp contact for me too I will be grateful
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by EZEUDENE(m): 12:21am On Feb 20, 2023
daylaysongs:
thank you very much for reply,but the tuition fee some of the school i check up are very expensive nz$27000 or so and more self and you must pay once dats kinda mean not even imstallmentally is there any school cheaper than that amount or better still how about the vocational programme of a thing is it expensive also and with that my 2.2 in polititcal science(edu)can i study for masters direct or pgd first

Please can I have your WhatsApp contact
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by EZEUDENE(m): 12:31am On Feb 20, 2023
Ticha:
@Soje I'm not sure if I replied to your message.

I see there are a lot of questions around POF and student visas. I did not come here on a student visa and have no idea whatsoever about student visas. I can give guidance and direction on how to survive once in New Zealand i.e. on cost of living, places to live, where work opportunities might abound. Anything else, no idea. I'll essentially be linking back to INZ website which is the repository for everything NZ visas.

The other thing I can do is provide a link to Immigration New Zealand's operation manual. It is accessible to everyone. It details the specific requirements of each short term visa. So read and digest it. Turn on notifications so you will know when any updates are made.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#35439.htm

There are students here and I have met a few. So 9ja students in New Zealand, please help out those about to come in.

Work visas - I can give suggestions and pointers on. Student visas - it'll be the blind leading the blind.

Please ma I want to apply for tourist visa how do I go about it

But the plans na greener pasture
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Ticha: 7:11am On Feb 20, 2023
EZEUDENE:

Please ma I want to apply for tourist visa how do I go about it

But the plans na greener pasture

Everything you need to know is here - https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/visas/visa/visitor-visa

NZ is one of the countries that allows you to change visas in country. Of course you have meet the requirements of whatever visa you're applying for
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by sunnyg12(m): 10:46pm On Feb 20, 2023
Ticha:

Everything you need to know is here - https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/visas/visa/visitor-visa

NZ is one of the countries that allows you to change visas in country. Of course you have meet the requirements of whatever visa you're applying for
You mean one can change from visitor visa to work visa?
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Ebukas54: 12:03am On Mar 21, 2023
Hello house,
I’m currently studying in Poland (Bsc) and I’m looking to move to New Zealand as a student. I have my temporary card here . Please what chance do i get to study in New Zealand as master student. I’m looking for more opportunities in other countries.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Ichabodcrane(m): 6:50am On Mar 24, 2023
Ebukas54:
Hello house,
I’m currently studying in Poland (Bsc) and I’m looking to move to New Zealand as a student. I have my temporary card here . Please what chance do i get to study in New Zealand as master student. I’m looking for more opportunities in other countries.
What do you want to go for actually?
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Ebukas54: 3:41pm On Mar 29, 2023
Ichabodcrane:

What do you want to go for actually?
I would love to study and work
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by peze: 5:47pm On Apr 02, 2023
STUDENT VISA APPROVED!!!
First Time Applicant
Visa lodged: 04 March 2023
Visa approved: 31 March 2023
Institution: Massey University (Auckland).
Course: PhD Finance
Intake : April 2023
Finance: Self-Sponsored
Consultancy: N/A

(Please I will appreciate if anyone can help me with Naija contacts in Massey University, Auckland)

4 Likes

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by fizcoo20(m): 6:34pm On Apr 02, 2023
peze:
STUDENT VISA APPROVED!!!
First Time Applicant
Visa lodged: 04 March 2023
Visa approved: 31 March 2023
Institution: Massey University (Auckland).
Course: PhD Finance
Intake : April 2023
Finance: Self-Sponsored
Consultancy: N/A

(Please I will appreciate if anyone can help me with

Naija contacts in Massey University, Auckland)

Congrats

1 Like

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by peze: 6:49pm On Apr 02, 2023
Thank you
fizcoo20:

Congrats

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (51) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada-part2 / On Vacation: New York City / I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.