Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,455 members, 7,808,625 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:27 PM

ASUU Strike - Students’ Peaceful Protest Turns Bloody In Delta (photos) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike - Students’ Peaceful Protest Turns Bloody In Delta (photos) (27751 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / ASUU STRIKE: Students Insist On Planned Protest Despite Police Presence / ASUU Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Strike - Students’ Peaceful Protest Turns Bloody In Delta (photos) by pcwhiz(m): 8:50am On Aug 26, 2013
Peaceful protest organized by Nigeria Students Delta State over the continuous Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) strike turned out to be bloody as police were alleged to have fired both tear gas and gunshots at students to prevent them from protesting.
Consequently many of the students were alleged to have received various degree of injuries.
A three hundred student was allegedly seriously injured is presently receiving treatment in an hospital.
Urhobotoday gathered that three of the students who were critically injured as a result of the police action are admitted in different

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike - Students’ Peaceful Protest Turns Bloody In Delta (photos) by pcwhiz(m): 8:59am On Aug 26, 2013
hospitals at Asaba, Delta State.
An inkured student soak with blood, while another is critically ill lying on the floor
A student who spoke to URHOBOTODAY who did not want his names on print revealed that after a meticulous survey of recent face off between ASUU and the Federal Government they Nigerian students in Delta State decided to go on a peaceful rally to register their dissatisfaction at the slow space of handling the issues which they argued is detrimental to the future of the Nigeria students.
“We embarked on the rally on the 22nd of August 2013 after writing to Delta State Commissioner of Police Mr Ikechukwu Aduba and Director of State Security (SSS) intimating them of our intention to go on peaceful protest..To our dismay, the Nigeria police did everything possible to obstruct our effort by first of all arresting the Student Union President of Delta State University Abraka, Agboroli Joshua and other students on their way to Asaba along the expressway before the Asaba International Airport.
“After much trouble and intervention the arrested students were released. Despite the police effort to obstruct our peaceful rally, we finally succeeded in conveying at summit junction where we intended moving on to the SSG’s office along Okpanam road by Zenith Bank where we wanted register our grievances to the government. It was at that point police said we should not move further.
“One Mr Ifeanyi Emmanuel of the Nigeria police Asaba then ordered the police to shoot at harmless students who were going about their protest peaceful. He said the order to shoot at the students was an instruction from an ‘Oga at the Top’ whom he later identified as Delta State Commissioner of Police.
“In the course of the police shooting sporadically and firing canisters of tear gas, many students and even journalists sustained various degree of injuries with three students critically injured. They are presently receiving treatment at St. Joseph Hospital Asaba,” the student reported.
The students who alleged that the State Government did not show any interest about the plight, however appealed to the Inspector General of Police Mr Mohammed Abubakar to investigate the issues for them to get Justice.
Attempt for Urhobotoday to get police side of the story was however futile as Delta State Commissioner of Police Mr Ikechukwu Aduba and the State Police Public Relation Officer refused to pick our calls before going to press.
URHOBO TODAY
Short URL: http://www.osundefender.org/?p=117975

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike - Students’ Peaceful Protest Turns Bloody In Delta (photos) by livingstoneony(m): 9:02am On Aug 26, 2013
wow that's just sad... fp material I think everybody needs to see this. thanks.
Re: ASUU Strike - Students’ Peaceful Protest Turns Bloody In Delta (photos) by Appliedmaths(m): 9:14am On Aug 26, 2013
The people don't understand dialogue, next time we would demonstrate with our tools....attah!

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike - Students’ Peaceful Protest Turns Bloody In Delta (photos) by pcwhiz(m): 9:19am On Aug 26, 2013
Appliedmaths.:
The people don't understand dialogue, next time we would demonstrate with our tools....attah!
lol. Pen and pencil ryt? Aftarall it's mightier dan d swrd and more deadly, wen used properly.. Voilence destroy more dan create. #peace

5 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike - Students’ Peaceful Protest Turns Bloody In Delta (photos) by briliantsak(m): 9:30am On Aug 26, 2013
hmmmm
Re: ASUU Strike - Students’ Peaceful Protest Turns Bloody In Delta (photos) by ellyrichy(m): 9:56am On Aug 26, 2013
Am this same police were clamouring for our support when soldiers did them small thing. Please front page
Re: ASUU Strike - Students’ Peaceful Protest Turns Bloody In Delta (photos) by Bakare19: 10:30am On Aug 26, 2013
This is simply disgusting and unwarranted!Is Nigeria not practising democratic system of governance again?so I can't air my grievances when I see dat government has failed consistently in tackling major issues plaguing d nation?This is a bad precedence and need to be condemned in it's entirety!

4 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike - Students’ Peaceful Protest Turns Bloody In Delta (photos) by johnstar(m): 10:36am On Aug 26, 2013
undecided, even cult bois self go follow protest... Shiit happens
Re: ASUU Strike - Students’ Peaceful Protest Turns Bloody In Delta (photos) by Deekaydadon(m): 10:44am On Aug 26, 2013
Oga Jona abeg make una ansa ASUU, we don tire 4 house o...
Re: ASUU Strike - Students’ Peaceful Protest Turns Bloody In Delta (photos) by gerrardomendes(m): 10:53am On Aug 26, 2013
chei! wia is my gun?
Re: ASUU Strike - Students’ Peaceful Protest Turns Bloody In Delta (photos) by sanandreas(m): 1:03pm On Aug 26, 2013
Smhw. Peace is better than conflict resolution. Dnt take laws into your hands. The dead do not tell story. great nigerian students stay calm.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike - Students’ Peaceful Protest Turns Bloody In Delta (photos) by otokx(m): 1:18pm On Aug 26, 2013
Have never supported the idea of peaceful protests

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike - Students’ Peaceful Protest Turns Bloody In Delta (photos) by sammirano: 1:25pm On Aug 26, 2013
rubbish
Re: ASUU Strike - Students’ Peaceful Protest Turns Bloody In Delta (photos) by bionicdude(m): 1:50pm On Aug 26, 2013
datz naija for u.d gov and ASUU are playing wit ur future if u decide to protest u get shot at.I'm guessing they don't want students to clamour for their rights.u don't keep students at home for two months and expect them to be quiet

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike - Students’ Peaceful Protest Turns Bloody In Delta (photos) by SEYIKP(m): 4:07pm On Aug 26, 2013
Blackmen with dark minds, how on earth will the police uses firearm, to dislogde harmless protesters, in this 21century, when there are many ways to go about it, stone age policemen, with obstinate hearts.
Re: ASUU Strike - Students’ Peaceful Protest Turns Bloody In Delta (photos) by georjay(m): 4:43pm On Aug 26, 2013
whu send dem.
Re: ASUU Strike - Students’ Peaceful Protest Turns Bloody In Delta (photos) by yemi2plus(m): 4:54pm On Aug 26, 2013
Let it be noted that at the risk of sounding platitudinously humdrum, we have asseverated for the upteenth time, that the convocation of a sovereign national conference for purposes of interrogating the odoriferous vaudeville of our national jeremiad, remains the only potentand efficaciously utilitarian paspartou out of our cascading national sirocco but alas, disdain complacency to say the least and at best Olympian pococuranteism and the tedium of prescriptive poco a poco is what we have been greeted with by intellectual philistines,high priests of a prebendal state and their opprobrious agents... LOOK AM NOW? If this is indeed true, many more may follow and this deposits me in a state of heebie jeebies.

5 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike - Students’ Peaceful Protest Turns Bloody In Delta (photos) by Nobody: 4:59pm On Aug 26, 2013
Read on Road 2009
I will never forget
choba junction , uniport.

We had both the police and the jtf pointing their guns at us
they probably thought we were the militants that were camped at aluu

Finally we had zero casualty

I dunno if it's the loaded fuel trucks that we used as a barricade or the AIT crew present that made the police not to shoot.

Fact is that Nigerian politicians are scared of anything called protest hence they use the police as pawns

BTW did the students think the SSG will pull any weight as regards the strike ?

They should have gone to ASUU office jhor tongue
Re: ASUU Strike - Students’ Peaceful Protest Turns Bloody In Delta (photos) by Nobody: 5:21pm On Aug 26, 2013
Re: ASUU Strike - Students’ Peaceful Protest Turns Bloody In Delta (photos) by 80million1: 5:23pm On Aug 26, 2013
Chineke!
Re: ASUU Strike - Students’ Peaceful Protest Turns Bloody In Delta (photos) by speeder(m): 5:24pm On Aug 26, 2013
A Jamaican man was makin love to his wife for de 1st time...
Suddenly he shouted,
"Jah Bless" and run out of the room, came back with a giant bucket of water, poured it on his wife's pussy....
His frightened wife shouted, "Watta gwan,
what u rasta man do dat for?"
De man answered, "bombo clat woman,
dis ting too sweet,
me gwan dilute it, remember me diabetic and sweet ting a no gud for me rastaman

12 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike - Students’ Peaceful Protest Turns Bloody In Delta (photos) by LesbianBoy(m): 5:25pm On Aug 26, 2013
I blame GEJ lipsrsealed
Re: ASUU Strike - Students’ Peaceful Protest Turns Bloody In Delta (photos) by fr3do(m): 5:25pm On Aug 26, 2013
What happened to the right to peaceful gathering?
Re: ASUU Strike - Students’ Peaceful Protest Turns Bloody In Delta (photos) by SlyIg(f): 5:25pm On Aug 26, 2013
E don reach dis stage?
Re: ASUU Strike - Students’ Peaceful Protest Turns Bloody In Delta (photos) by PStacks(m): 5:25pm On Aug 26, 2013
I just hope the government knows this is on their neck.
Re: ASUU Strike - Students’ Peaceful Protest Turns Bloody In Delta (photos) by SirElaw(m): 5:26pm On Aug 26, 2013
The Nigerian Police are definitely doing more harm than good. They are supposed to serve and to protect but all they do in recent years is to harm and to terrify. The government who have the power to stop this acts of inhumanity, can't, because they are also used to execute out their own heinous crimes. My theory is that, the police received orders to jeopardize this protest so as not to draw more attention from the international community to the monster that too often rears it's ugly head in the education sector. I salute the bravado of comrades who were part of this protest, and to those who got hospitalised cos of this selfless act, I wish quick recovery.
Aluta Continua!!! Victoria Ascerta!!!

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike - Students’ Peaceful Protest Turns Bloody In Delta (photos) by pesty100(m): 5:27pm On Aug 26, 2013
Why must we always see blood
Re: ASUU Strike - Students’ Peaceful Protest Turns Bloody In Delta (photos) by Walexz02(m): 5:28pm On Aug 26, 2013
shocked
Re: ASUU Strike - Students’ Peaceful Protest Turns Bloody In Delta (photos) by leonard509(m): 5:28pm On Aug 26, 2013
As I dey now...I go leave better things wey I go do with my time com dey join protest for one organization or the other....am I MAD@ victim sorry...but next time,,if u no get anything good wey u go do with your time,,SLEEP ...else na stray bullet go fit kiLl you wen next you join any type of protest...weda peaceful or odawise.....leonard don talk
Re: ASUU Strike - Students’ Peaceful Protest Turns Bloody In Delta (photos) by infobiz9ja(m): 5:28pm On Aug 26, 2013
cheesy
Re: ASUU Strike - Students’ Peaceful Protest Turns Bloody In Delta (photos) by banky222: 5:35pm On Aug 26, 2013
yemi2plus2: Let it be noted that at the risk of sounding platitudinously humdrum, we have asseverated for the upteenth time, that the convocation of a sovereign national conference for purposes of interrogating the odoriferous vaudeville of our national jeremiad, remains the only potentand efficaciously utilitarian paspartou out of our cascading national sirocco but alas, disdain complacency to say the least and at best Olympian pococuranteism and the tedium of prescriptive poco a poco is what we have been greeted with by intellectual philistines,high priests of a prebendal state and their opprobrious agents... LOOK AM NOW? If this is indeed true, many more may follow and this deposits me in a state of heebie jeebies.
obahiagbon how your governor? So you still get time to follow nairaland? Hope to call later.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Long Does It Take For JAMB Result To Come Out? 2024 UTME / Man Gives Scholarship To Ikechukwu Samuel, A Poor Boy He Met On Abia Street / 3 Ghanaian Students Sweep WAEC International Excellence Awards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.