Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,119 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:57 PM

Syrian Rebels Used Sarin Nerve Gas, Not Assad’s Regime: U.N. Official - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Syrian Rebels Used Sarin Nerve Gas, Not Assad’s Regime: U.N. Official (17925 Views)

Zimbabwe’s Mugabe Shouts “we Are Not Gays!” During U.N. Speech / Leaked Video Of Syrian Rebels Firing Sarin Gas. / Do You Support The Coming American War Against The Syria Assad Regime (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Syrian Rebels Used Sarin Nerve Gas, Not Assad’s Regime: U.N. Official by mankand(m): 11:06am On Aug 26, 2013
Testimony from victims strongly suggests it was the rebels, not the Syrian government, that used Sarin nerve gas during a recent incident in the revolution-wracked nation, a senior U.N. diplomat said Monday.

Carla del Ponte, a member of the U.N. Independent International Commission of Inquiry on Syria, told Swiss TV there were “strong, concrete suspicions but not yet incontrovertible proof,” that rebels seeking to oust Syrian strongman Bashar al-Assad had used the nerve agent.

But she said her panel had not yet seen any evidence of Syrian government forces using chemical weapons, according to the BBC, but she added that more investigation was needed.

Damascus has recently facing growing Western accusations that its forces used such weapons, which President Obama has described as crossing a red line. But Ms. del Ponte’s remarks may serve to shift the focus of international concern.

Ms. del Ponte, who in 1999 was appointed to head the U.N. was crimes tribunals for Yugoslavia and Rwanda, has sometimes been a controversial figure. She was removed from her Rwanda post by the U.N. Security Council in 2003, but she continued as the chief prosecutor for the Yugoslav tribunal until 2008.

Ms. del Ponte, a former Swiss prosecutor and attorney general, told Swiss TV: “Our investigators have been in neighboring countries interviewing victims, doctors and field hospitals. According to their report of last week, which I have seen, there are strong, concrete suspicions but not yet incontrovertible proof of the use of sarin gas, from the way the victims were treated.”

She gave no further details, the BBC said.

The UN Independent International Commission of Inquiry on Syria was established in August 2011 to examine alleged violations of human rights in the Syrian conflict which started in March that year.

Source: (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/may/6/syrian-rebels-used-sarin-nerve-gas-not-assads-regi/)
Re: Syrian Rebels Used Sarin Nerve Gas, Not Assad’s Regime: U.N. Official by otokx(m): 11:09am On Aug 26, 2013
If this is true then the Rebels should be flushed out of that country.

5 Likes

Re: Syrian Rebels Used Sarin Nerve Gas, Not Assad’s Regime: U.N. Official by Nobody: 11:11am On Aug 26, 2013
Just as i suspected

14 Likes

Re: Syrian Rebels Used Sarin Nerve Gas, Not Assad’s Regime: U.N. Official by Nobody: 1:35pm On Aug 26, 2013
I suspect the rebels even America new it only that they woun't admit it in the public. There was a leaked video some months ago showing some army deserters training some foriegn terrorist fighting the Asad govt on how to create biological and chemical weapons.
If there is any success the islamic terrorist has gained in this Syrian war, it will be the aqusition of the technical know-how on the making of biological weapons. And thier greater success will be to amassed as many sophiscated weapons as possible as soon Asad regimes falls.
In addition, i see the aquisition of chemical weapon as a game changer in thier quest to terrorised the globe. Moreover the knowledge of chemical weapons will soon spread to other terrorist group across the world including Nigeria.

7 Likes

Re: Syrian Rebels Used Sarin Nerve Gas, Not Assad’s Regime: U.N. Official by mankand(m): 2:11pm On Aug 26, 2013
Onosas: I suspect the rebels even America new it only that they woun't admit it in the public. There was a leaked video some months ago showing some army deserters training some foriegn terrorist fighting the Asad govt on how to create biological and chemical weapons.
If there is any success the islamic terrorist has gained in this Syrian war, it will be the aqusition of the technical know-how on the making of biological weapons. And thier greater success will be to amassed as many sophiscated weapons as possible as soon Asad regimes falls.
In addition, i see the aquisition of chemical weapon as a game changer in thier quest to terrorised the globe. Moreover the knowledge of chemical weapons will soon spread to other terrorist group across the world including Nigeria.

Thumbs up for you

13 Likes

Re: Syrian Rebels Used Sarin Nerve Gas, Not Assad’s Regime: U.N. Official by Nobody: 2:19pm On Aug 26, 2013
You forgot to mention Nigeria...
Re: Syrian Rebels Used Sarin Nerve Gas, Not Assad’s Regime: U.N. Official by Horus(m): 2:27pm On Aug 26, 2013
Damascus has recently facing growing Western accusations that its forces used such weapons, which President Obama has described as crossing a red line.

When America used chemical weapons in Vietnam nobody called it "crossing a red line"

7 Likes

Re: Syrian Rebels Used Sarin Nerve Gas, Not Assad’s Regime: U.N. Official by Caleboha(m): 2:35pm On Aug 26, 2013
mankand:

Thumbs up for you
Who born Iran? Make dem try bomb any country na, they'll cease to exist in the world map! It'll take only the gallantry of America to invade all these countries unscathed. America rules the world, haters can to go to hell!!! grin

11 Likes

Re: Syrian Rebels Used Sarin Nerve Gas, Not Assad’s Regime: U.N. Official by mankand(m): 3:21pm On Aug 26, 2013
Caleboha: Who born Iran? Make dem try bomb any country na, they'll cease to exist in the world map! It'll take only the gallantry of America to invade all these country unscathed. America rules the world, haters can to go to hell!!! grin

No point arguing with you as you have been deluded and brainwashed with the western propaganda

25 Likes

Re: Syrian Rebels Used Sarin Nerve Gas, Not Assad’s Regime: U.N. Official by Nobody: 3:28pm On Aug 26, 2013
Just as I thought, I won't be surprised if Israel had a hand it, the gas bombing has Israel written all over it. Thumbs up to the UN

6 Likes

Re: Syrian Rebels Used Sarin Nerve Gas, Not Assad’s Regime: U.N. Official by Nobody: 4:14pm On Aug 26, 2013
Obiagelli: Just as I thought, I won't be surprised if Israel had a hand it, the gas bombing has Israel written all over it. Thumbs up to the UN

there is no need making unproven speculations. The rebels are pursuing an islamic and jihadic agenda that istreal has no hand in.
Istreal view both the islamist rebels and assad goverment as thesame.
It is the americans and other western countries that will never learn that you dont support islamist because soon they will turn their chemical weapons on US and the west.

4 Likes

Re: Syrian Rebels Used Sarin Nerve Gas, Not Assad’s Regime: U.N. Official by Demdem(m): 4:19pm On Aug 26, 2013
The rebels can't be trusted, Assad himself isn't wanted. It's a dire situation.

2 Likes

Re: Syrian Rebels Used Sarin Nerve Gas, Not Assad’s Regime: U.N. Official by alexchiny: 4:24pm On Aug 26, 2013
Caleboha: Who born Iran? Make dem try bomb any country na, they'll cease to exist in the world map! It'll take only the gallantry of America to invade all these country unscathed. America rules the world, haters can to go to hell!!! grin

Who is this kid? ASUU please call the strike off ASAP!!

10 Likes

Re: Syrian Rebels Used Sarin Nerve Gas, Not Assad’s Regime: U.N. Official by alexchiny: 4:26pm On Aug 26, 2013
Demdem: The rebels can't be trusted, [b]Assad himself isn't wanted. It's a dire situation. [/b]

Isn't wanted by who? By rebels backed by the west to topple a legitimate government so they can install a puppet? i laugh in katamkpe.

3 Likes

Re: Syrian Rebels Used Sarin Nerve Gas, Not Assad’s Regime: U.N. Official by Demdem(m): 5:32pm On Aug 26, 2013
alexchiny:

Isn't wanted by who? By rebels backed by the west to topple a legitimate government so they can install a puppet? i laugh in katamkpe.

The crisis didn't start with rebels picking up arms, instead it started with peaceful protests all over the country which Assad heavily crushed. Those participants still want him to go and he will surely go. U can also laugh in kutumpe for all I care.

3 Likes

Re: Syrian Rebels Used Sarin Nerve Gas, Not Assad’s Regime: U.N. Official by alexchiny: 5:58pm On Aug 26, 2013
Demdem:

The crisis didn't start with rebels picking up arms, instead it started with peaceful protests all over the country which Assad heavily crushed. Those participants still want him to go and he will surely go. U can also laugh in kutumpe for all I care.

Don't you know that the west can sponsor protests and then incite violence during the said protest? Bros, are that naive?

Even if Assad will go, he wont be forced out. Quote me. The grand plans of the west are beginning to unfold.

8 Likes

Re: Syrian Rebels Used Sarin Nerve Gas, Not Assad’s Regime: U.N. Official by adino(m): 6:42pm On Aug 26, 2013
Onosas: I suspect the rebels even America new it only that they woun't admit it in the public. There was a leaked video some months ago showing some army deserters training some foriegn terrorist fighting the Asad govt on how to create biological and chemical weapons.

obama is just too fooolish

3 Likes

Re: Syrian Rebels Used Sarin Nerve Gas, Not Assad’s Regime: U.N. Official by simplyOJ(m): 6:56pm On Aug 26, 2013
I guessed as much. They rebels needed to create an excuse to necessitate an invasion to over throw the Assad's regime. Very wicked of the rebels.

5 Likes

Re: Syrian Rebels Used Sarin Nerve Gas, Not Assad’s Regime: U.N. Official by trolling(m): 7:08pm On Aug 26, 2013
Isaiah 24:16 KJV
From the uttermost part of the earth have we heard songs, even glory to the righteous. But I said, My leanness, my leanness, woe unto me! the treacherous dealers have dealt treacherously; yea, the treacherous dealers have dealt very treacherously .
Re: Syrian Rebels Used Sarin Nerve Gas, Not Assad’s Regime: U.N. Official by buoye1(m): 7:09pm On Aug 26, 2013
God hlp Africa.....Amen
Re: Syrian Rebels Used Sarin Nerve Gas, Not Assad’s Regime: U.N. Official by Moneylender: 7:12pm On Aug 26, 2013
Horus:

When America used chemical weapons in Vietnam nobody called it "crossing a red line"

THAT WAS THEN tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Syrian Rebels Used Sarin Nerve Gas, Not Assad’s Regime: U.N. Official by Cypost: 7:20pm On Aug 26, 2013
alexchiny:

Don't you know that the west can sponsor protests and then incite violence during the said protest? Bros, are that naive?

Even if Assad will go, he wont be forced out. Quote me. The grand plans of the west are beginning to unfold.
Blame everything on the west. If u toast babe she no gree na US cause am. If nepa take light na west, if politician thief money na west, if ur pikin no sabi book na west... Haba mallam, take responsibilities for action

12 Likes

Re: Syrian Rebels Used Sarin Nerve Gas, Not Assad’s Regime: U.N. Official by scientology(m): 7:34pm On Aug 26, 2013
everyone knows
Re: Syrian Rebels Used Sarin Nerve Gas, Not Assad’s Regime: U.N. Official by Leemak: 7:37pm On Aug 26, 2013
US and her Western allies want to raise false-flag against Syria but God dissappointed them this time around.If UN actually find out that rebels used chemical weapons then US, Britain, France,Saudi Arabia,Qatar and Turkey with Isreal all have case to answer..

3 Likes

Re: Syrian Rebels Used Sarin Nerve Gas, Not Assad’s Regime: U.N. Official by felifeli: 7:55pm On Aug 26, 2013
Cypost:
Blame everything on the west. If u toast babe she no gree na US cause am. If nepa take light na west, if politician thief money na west, if ur pikin no sabi book na west... Haba mallam, take responsibilities for action

As a matter of fact all the above are caused by the west
Ashawo babes pretending to be hollywood stars
Embezzlement by politician for putting in swiss bank
Illiteracy in children due to MTV, video games,UEFA...etc

5 Likes

Re: Syrian Rebels Used Sarin Nerve Gas, Not Assad’s Regime: U.N. Official by cannonnier(m): 7:55pm On Aug 26, 2013
rafhell:

there is no need making unproven speculations. The rebels are pursuing an islamic and jihadic agenda that istreal has no hand in.
Istreal view both the islamist rebels and assad goverment as the same..
Where did u learn that? Please u need to make some concrate finding b4 u post somthing here
#teamassad.

2 Likes

Re: Syrian Rebels Used Sarin Nerve Gas, Not Assad’s Regime: U.N. Official by Nobody: 7:57pm On Aug 26, 2013
Of course its the Rebels (America's mercenaries). So that they can invade the country with a legitimate reason.

1 Like

Re: Syrian Rebels Used Sarin Nerve Gas, Not Assad’s Regime: U.N. Official by Nobody: 8:02pm On Aug 26, 2013
This rebel supporters are riding on the back of a Tiger, it will one day eat them.

1 Like

Re: Syrian Rebels Used Sarin Nerve Gas, Not Assad’s Regime: U.N. Official by Gwizatasie: 8:05pm On Aug 26, 2013
war there war here...let make this world a better place...america and russia fighting for their personal selfish interests...dancing#skelewu
Re: Syrian Rebels Used Sarin Nerve Gas, Not Assad’s Regime: U.N. Official by Toktee(m): 8:08pm On Aug 26, 2013
You are a foool,just like in nigeria where anybody that disagree with pdp gvt is tagged or bokohallam,the samething applied to syria,how do you justified your claimed that the rebel inside syria are terrorist?
Btw assad nd the rebels who fired the first shot?
Btw the rebels and assad who possess nerve gas?
The area affected is control by assad forces or the opposition forces?
And for the op, is today that the un investigators were allow access to the sight of gas attack,how come they have proving already that the rebels are responsible for gas attack?

2 Likes

Re: Syrian Rebels Used Sarin Nerve Gas, Not Assad’s Regime: U.N. Official by vedaxcool(m): 8:10pm On Aug 26, 2013
The woman is simply stating her opinion with no proof!

Though it must be stated that the need for an international intervention in Syria, is long over due esp. Due to the fact that over a 100, 000 people have been killed mainly by a regime which has violated repeatedly many UN convention, that is bombing areas in which civilians live, launching attacks targeting civilians etc the world does not need the use of nerve gas as a pretext, a justification already exist, that is the unjustified murder of civillians in numerous number!
Re: Syrian Rebels Used Sarin Nerve Gas, Not Assad’s Regime: U.N. Official by Noneroone(m): 8:11pm On Aug 26, 2013
When that of Egypt started, everybody called it a revolution but few knew what was happening. One of the protesters who was interviewed by the BBC said they wanted democracy while another person among the crowed who quickly interrupted him said they wanted an islamic state. The question was, what brought people with different aspirations together against a serving leader? probably they were mobilized by outsiders. At least we now know that mubarak was never the problem rather muslims brotherhood are! This is what is happening in syria, the same muslim denomination are fighting to overthrow the government whereas some people think they fight for democracy. No wonder Assad said the defeat of the rebels will mark the end of political islam. We should read the handwriting on the wall.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

10 To 50 People Were Killed At Al-Ahli Baptist Hospital - European Intelligence / ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States / Firefighters Battle Extreme Wildfires In France( Pix, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.