Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,940 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:31 AM

Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments (29098 Views)

Lagos Court Dissolves 8 Months Old Marriage Over Mother-in-law’s Harassment / Nursing Mother Commits Suicide After Baby Dedication / 9-year-old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied At School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by chokolatte: 10:11pm On Aug 26, 2013
lesson to all mothers mind the things you say to your children..God help us[i][/i]

A 21-year-old girl identified as Kemi, at the weekend, committed suicide in Isale Asa Ilorin, Kwara State.
According to National Telegraph, the deceased, who was a fashion designer, allegedly took her own life with a locally-made rat poison known as sole lasan following uncomplimentary comments from her mother during a brawl.

A neighbour, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the girl and her mum had a quarrel on Friday night and in the course of the brawl, Mummy Kemi, as her mom is popularly called, referred to her daughter as “a complete failure and a disgrace to the family”.

The neighbour said the deceased’s mother, who operates a grinding machine nearby, went to her shop and Kemi, who was unhappy with her mother’s comment, went into her room and drank the poison.

“When Mummy Kemi came in about 30 minutes later, she saw that Kemi was writhing in pains. She was said to have raised the alarm,” the source said.
The source said sympathisers, who suspected Kemi might have taken a poisonous substance, quickly rushed her to a nearby hospital for medical attention but the doctors there referred them to the University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital.

She died on her way to the teaching hospital.
Olufemi Fabode, the State’s Police Command’s spokesperson, could not be reached for confirmation as his mobile phone was switched off.

http://telegraphng.com/2013/08/21-year-old-girl-commits-suicide-mothers-comments/
Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by Localamos(m): 10:34pm On Aug 26, 2013
Congrats Mama Kemi, you got what you wanted.

And to all the parents in da house, this is a lesson for you.

19 Likes

Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by Nobody: 10:59pm On Aug 26, 2013
Smh.its such a pity that women who dont deserve to be mothers are actually mothers.how can you be making such utterances to your own flesh and blood and be abusing her psychologically and emotionally.i am sure she must have been doing that for a long period of time which led to low self esteem,from there to psychological trauma and later degenerated to depression which could have motivated her in commiting suicide.i hope thats her only child sha so that she can save another child the trauma kemi went through.i mean,what kind of irritating anger is that that you will call your own daughter a failure and disgrace.isnt she aware words comming from a mother to a child is powerful.shebi now kemi has disgraced her.her eye don clear now.mshewwwww.iya oshi.thank God for the mother i have o.thank God for the womb i passed through o,that God did not make me come to the world through a beast of a mother but a loving and great mom.mummy thanks for all your patience o,even though when i annoy you as a kid you will rather call me olorire than some 1d1ot1c mothers just like this one who will call their kids oloriburuku omo.

28 Likes

Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by ciphoenix: 11:00pm On Aug 26, 2013
Sadly not many learn from such occurrences

Poor girl embarassed
Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by bellong: 8:00am On Aug 27, 2013
So the nearby hospital cannot even offer a first aid before referring to teaching hospital that is on the outskirt of town. What a pathetic hospital and medical council still allow such to operate....

9 Likes

Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by smartmom(f): 10:11am On Aug 27, 2013
bellong: So the nearby hospital cannot even offer a first aid before referring to teaching hospital that is on the outskirt of town. What a pathetic hospital and medical council still allow such to operate....

They probably knew it was too late for any help and didnt want the stigma of having a patient die in their premises.

Such a sad thing for any parent to verbally and emotionally abuse a child. Children should have above all things the unconditional love and acceptance of their parents. I bet mama kemi will regret all the days of her life.

4 Likes

Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by bellong: 10:20am On Aug 27, 2013
smartmom:

They probably knew it was too late for any help and didnt want the stigma of having a patient die in their premises.

No matter how late it seems, a simple first aid for poisoning could still have done something. We never can tell. They value their "reputationless reputation" above medical emergency.

3 Likes

Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by smartmom(f): 11:28am On Aug 27, 2013
Sadly that is the case in naija sad

Reason why they wont treat a robbery attacked victim with gunshot wound. Makes one wonder about the Hippocratic oath thing.

4 Likes

Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by kelz3264: 11:46am On Aug 27, 2013
the girl was wrong to have opted for suicide!
No matter what her mum had said toher suicide wasnt the best option,rather she should have thought of ways of proving her mum wrong! One thing i know is that no one can make you feel inferior witout your consent! The mum might have meant no harm just a case of wrong self expressive pattern!

17 Likes

Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by Nobody: 11:53am On Aug 27, 2013
I say this all the time abuse is not just physical it is mental and physcological.
We are very abusive mostly because we may not understand the implication of our actions or we feel the need to transfer our own hurt on other people.

Abuse knows no gender, we are mostly violent and abusive, our first reaction to others when we feel offended is to rain curses, and if we can physically harm them.

Some people are not strong, and they may be going through so many other things and that last word is what gets them to the edge.
I repeat the words of Kirk Franklin to my friends "so many churches, so little Jesus"
We have so many places of worship but that is it, even in church we don't really truly care what happens to the next person, if we hear its sometimes for gossip or simply to thank God it is not happening to us.

We need more empathy and less judgement.
We are all guilty, we need to learn to manage anger more and refrain from dishing out hurt that we can hardly take back.
There are so many things wrong in this country that being genuienly happy takes special grace.

See the social media, I feel so bad for some of our stars, we insult them, ridicule their imperfections etc.

I hope as it is now becoming clearer that more and more people are seeing suicide as a way out, we will all reflect on the impact our actions have on others, not everyone has a thick skin.

I read the story of the storeaway boy and I immediately recognised that his parents may have been mentally or physically abusive for a boy to decide he will risk death than the life he is currently living.

Again the mob mentallity "Marry and born" without caring for the responsibility that comes with these key roles.

I am so drained and sad.

26 Likes

Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by Nobody: 12:54pm On Aug 27, 2013

36 Likes

Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by EfemenaXY: 1:05pm On Aug 27, 2013
Dear Lord,

Pls, pls, pls, help me to be the ever kind, understanding and loving mum to my kids! Sheath my tongue whenever I get angry.

Amen.

(Sigh), this is such a painful story... sad

7 Likes

Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by bellong: 1:07pm On Aug 27, 2013
^^^ You need to read the extreme abusive language used in the Nigeria in Nigeria and Nigeria in Diaspora thread. I wonder why people cannot pass across their point without descending to using derogatory words.

The painful thing is most of these people claim to be religious and serving God yet their actions and attitude cannot reflect in their confession...

I will not be surprised if the mother of the girl claims its an attack from her enemies.

4 Likes

Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by smartmom(f): 1:17pm On Aug 27, 2013
chaircover: Typical bullyish behaviour. Even exhibited here on this forum. People think the more caustic tongued they are the better & stronger it makes them look.

People talk anyhow to anybody. Its everywhere with an aim to bring them down . . . on forums, homes, markets, on the road, schools, offices everywhere!!!! They forget that people are different and some people cant just brush things off and they take these things badly. A couple of weeks ago a 14 year old committed suicide over abuse she received on an internet site.

In this case to her own daughter. If a child can’t find comfort and succour in his/her own mother then how much more strangers? If you cant be your kids greatest cheer leader and fan, then who will?

I saw this on someone’s facebook wall this morning and it got me thinking . . . .

“Don’t mix bad words with your bad mood. You will have many opportunities to change your mood, but you will never get an opportunity to change the words you have spoken.”

I hope a lesson or two is learnt from this tragedy.

PS I dont know how a 21 year old girl who is a fashion designer is now a failure in the book of a woman running a grinding machine. undecided

Probably to the pepper grinding mother, her daughter would only be considered a ' success' if she had hooked a potbellied sugar daddy who would buy her a SUV instead of sowing clothes at the old age of 21. Its horrible to say the least.

3 Likes

Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by Nobody: 1:29pm On Aug 27, 2013

2 Likes

Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by Nobody: 2:08pm On Aug 27, 2013
chaircover: Typical bullyish behaviour. Even exhibited here on this forum. People think the more caustic tongued they are the better & stronger it makes them look.

People talk anyhow to anybody. Its everywhere with an aim to bring them down . . . on forums, homes, markets, on the road, schools, offices everywhere!!!! They forget that people are different and some people cant just brush things off and they take these things badly. A couple of weeks ago a 14 year old committed suicide over abuse she received on an internet site.

In this case to her own daughter. If a child can’t find comfort and succour in his/her own mother then how much more strangers? If you cant be your kids greatest cheer leader and fan, then who will?

I saw this on someone’s facebook wall this morning and it got me thinking . . . .

“Don’t mix bad words with your bad mood. You will have many opportunities to change your mood, but you will never get an opportunity to change the words you have spoken.”

PS I dont know how a 21 year old girl who is a fashion designer is now a failure in the book of a woman running a grinding machine. undecided
hmmmmmm you made a whole lot of sense on this post.anyway its sad though

1 Like

Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by bellong: 2:12pm On Aug 27, 2013
Madam CC, I guess you are too old fashioned to understand that catching fun entails that I must turn you to nothing with words even if I do not know who you are.

Out of the abundance of heart, the mouth speaks.. Whosoever will descend to using derogatory words to pass across a message under the guise of catching fun has only proved what is on his/her inside.

If I engage in an argument and it degenerates into abuse galore, I will rather leave the argument than exchanging hot words with people either on a faceless forum or in a faceful forum.

We really need value re-orientation

3 Likes

Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by ciphoenix: 2:17pm On Aug 27, 2013
Major reason I've confined myself to just 2 sections on nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by Nobody: 2:20pm On Aug 27, 2013

My dear, I disagree with you sometimes because you are one of the few people I am comfortable enough to debate with because I know no matter how much we disagree it wouldn't degenerate to name calling, insults and hurtful statements.

To some, I totally ignore, some I say one statement and leave it at that.

So many major their strenght in the ability to hurt others with words, actions and when they can physically.

No one is perfect, but for heavens sake if you can't make someones life better don't make it worse.
A few times you may need to knock some home truth into some people who just love pity parties and nothing else, still do it in love not with the aim of riducle or scorn or to hurt them.

I know its hard to be patient with people especially those who seem to go on and on on one issue even when they have been adviced severally and you need to spank them sometimes but let the intention be love, Love cannot go wrong.

1 Like

Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by Nobody: 2:21pm On Aug 27, 2013

hmmmmmm you made a whole lot of sense on this post.anyway its sad though very true.actually people are becoming sadists and frustrated people
Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by Nobody: 2:27pm On Aug 27, 2013
Bullies everywhere. RIP dear child.

I don't get it, why abuse someone when you can get your point across clearly lipsrsealed

Nice post by chaircover, debrief,Bellong...

We will keep fighting the bullies until they change for the better.
Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by Nobody: 2:46pm On Aug 27, 2013

1 Like

Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by Nobody: 3:01pm On Aug 27, 2013
RIP to the deceased and I pray forgiveness on mom's behalf .. I'm not gonna blame her because we don't know the whole story...

@Bullies , hmmm you can scream and shout until you're blue on the face till tomorrow but get this straight; You don't expect a person at the receiving end ( bullied) to be mute... at the end of the day the person comes across like a bully eventually... that's the sad part of it.

Y'all can dance around the edge all y'all want... And that's what I call FAKE.

How many times have people called my parents names and mocked my background over and over again on this forum? Or am I the only one raised by a single Dad on NL? And you expect me to be mute? Another person that understood the whole family section crap in sequence is @Busybody and I think she's had enough two-face crap and gone too.

Speaking of hypocrites... Now I already see some shady monikers jumped on this thread with their typical holier than thou posts.. am not surprised atall but Jide will talk and nail the bullseye, sebi it's just online where chameleons of sorts are welcomed....

2 families were discussed yesterday on a thread and people with their typical mob/ bully mentality condemned & degraded the other family just cause they chose to live a different way of life... I mean what do you call that? how's that different from from bullying? Do you really have to degrade another family to prove your point? Charity begins at home they say, that's how it starts, when you find so much comfort and joy to ridicule others.

Oh what tha hell sebi WE ARE ALL HAVING FUN!!! kiss kiss

5 Likes

Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by Nobody: 3:17pm On Aug 27, 2013
Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by Nobody: 3:21pm On Aug 27, 2013
jidegirl12: RIP to the deceased and I pray forgiveness on mom's behalf .. I'm not gonna blame her because we don't know the whole story...

@Bullies , hmmm you can scream and shout until you're blue on the face till tomorrow but get this straight; You don't expect a person at the receiving end ( bullied) to be mute... at the end of the day the person comes across like a bully eventually... that's the sad part of it.

How many times have people called my parents names and mocked my background over and over again on this forum? Or am I the only one raised by a single Dad on NL? And you expect me to be mute? Another person that understood the whole family section crap in sequence is @Busybody and I think she's had enough two-face crap and gone too.

Speaking of hypocrites... Now I already see some shady monikers jumped on this thread with their typical holier than thou posts.. am not surprised atall but Jide will talk and nail the bullseye, sebi it's just online where chameleons of sorts are welcomed....

2 families were discussed yesterday on a thread and people with their typical mob/ bully mentality condemned & degraded the other family just cause they chose to live a different way of life... I mean what do you call that? how's that different from from bullying? Do you really have to degrade another family to prove your point? Charity begins at home they say, that's how it starts, when you find so much comfort and joy to ridicule others.

jidegirl12: RIP to the deceased and I pray forgiveness on mom's behalf .. I'm not gonna blame her because we don't know the whole story...

Jide, I have shared my story here too and if I fought with everyone who mocked me I wouldn't still be here, I just tell myself they don't know better. Some just hate me just for my story and not that I have offended them in any way, but that is the price for being honest and stepping out of the norm.
We still have a long way to go in accepting that people and situations are different for everyone.
We cannot control how people treat us but we can control our own reactions.
It may help if when you make your posts you make your points clearly without name calling or silent insults to others.
On the Honey Boo Boo thread we were all stating our preferences and you came and stated that it is "poverty mentality and black belle" in my small opinion there was no need for that, you could have disagreed without name calling those who thought differently.
CC and I just yesterday were aggreeing on the Honey Boo Boo Thread yet debating on another thread, yet we didn't call each other names but we attacked each others points and left it at that even when we were both clearly at different points and even upset.

I have stepped in once or twice when your parents were brought into a discussion because it was totally unnecessary.

I won't advice you how to live your life but I am sorry to say this you may need to attack the posts without some snide remarks and targetted insults. Like I said I won't tell you how to live your life, I feel it misses the who need, we can all successfuly disagree without fighting, we are not wired all the same, even twins disagree talkless of strangers but there is Joy and peace in respecting and sticking to points not attacking personailites because we disagree.

3 Likes

Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by Nobody: 3:29pm On Aug 27, 2013
Sorry to say again Jide in this reponse to the post you already used words like "Hypocrites" and "People with holier than thou" attitude to state a point.
That already to someone who is quick to react will escalate the situation and ignore the message you are trying to pass.

To what or whose benefit does using words like that serve?

Again I am sorry if I appear to be telling you how to live but to coexist in peace with others we should minimize words that trigger negative reactions from others.

3 Likes

Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by RoyalRoy(m): 3:42pm On Aug 27, 2013
Tolerance is a keyword to living a peaceful life!!
Although we all have our different threshold & tolerance level....but to resort to name-calling & "gutter language" speaks a lot about each person's lifestyle in the real world!!

I am good with words in the real life.....I take my time to process each word I speak out to people......that's why to some people both ladies & men they call me sugar-coated tongue which in reality is an effort of over 10yrs to always speak with intention to make people smile & not cry!

I get very easily ticked off with words or people with caustic tongues....which led me to learn how to ignore .
But ignoring comes with a price too, some see it as a reason to dominate you & ride over you!!

But reality check......only a mad man/woman talks to him/herself alone!!

It takes a lot of discipline to rise above verbal abuse but surely its not rocket science.....it is achievable!!
Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by Nobody: 3:42pm On Aug 27, 2013
Dont get me wrong, Im not blaming you at all, Im just trying to explain that sometimes it really isnt worth it at all. You can be the bigger person if you choose to

I DON'T WANT TO !! NEVER gonna happen ... It's just online abi? smiley

Believe it or not... I'm raised to be over confident and my ego is unbelievably brimming ... Nobody gets to me but when you start to go down to my family then you've crossed the line... still it's okay.

This ain't bout me.. I just need to point that out when I saw some annoying posts . smiley
Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by Nobody: 3:46pm On Aug 27, 2013
Royal Roy: Tolerance is a keyword to living a peaceful life!!
Although we all have our different threshold & tolerance level....but to resort to name-calling & "gutter language" speaks a lot about each person's lifestyle in the real world!!

I am good with words in the real life.....I take my time to process each word I speak out to people......that's why to some people both ladies & men they call me sugar-coated tongue which in reality is an effort of over 10yrs to always speak with intention to make people smile & not cry!

I get very easily ticked off with words or people with caustic tongues....which led me to learn how to ignore

But ignoring comes with a price too, some see it as a reason to dominate you & ride over you!!

But reality check......only a mad man/woman talks to him/herself alone!!

It takes a lot of discipline to rise above verbal abuse but surely its not rocket science.....it is achievable!!

Ya! ^^ Bolded
Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by Nobody: 3:50pm On Aug 27, 2013
debrief08: Sorry to say again Jide in this reponse to the post you already used words like "Hypocrites" and "People with holier than thou" attitude to state a point.
That already to someone who is quick to react will escalate the situation and ignore the message you are trying to pass.

To what or whose benefit does using words like that serve?

Again I am sorry if I appear to be telling you how to live but to coexist in peace with others we should minimize words that trigger negative reactions from others.

You can't tell me how to use my words... Nah ... Even in the real world nobody tells me what to do.

now I have a problem with this ;

This is how normal people live not with "perfect hair" "perfect clothes" driving flahsy cars.
With money money money and more money as their focus.
People should seek to be HAPPY first, confident in who they are and share with loved ones the little they have.
No airs, no fakeness, no my range rover is bigger than yours syndrome.

AND

See the social media, I feel so bad for some of our stars, we insult them, ridicule their imperfections etc.

Hypocrytic Enough to call you and some others Hypocrites ??
Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by OluwaDrey(m): 3:53pm On Aug 27, 2013
Errmm,I dunno what to say to the deceased but I have this to say to FG; abeg ban this Otapiapia rat poison.we don't use it anymore on rats...humans are abusing it
Re: Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments by Nobody: 3:54pm On Aug 27, 2013
Seriously? I think there is more to this story.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Much Does An Average Introduction Cost? / Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name / Nudity In Front Of Children.. Right Or Wrong ,?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.