Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,509 members, 7,808,864 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:14 PM

Landowners Issue Ultimatum On Enugu International Airport. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Landowners Issue Ultimatum On Enugu International Airport. (1728 Views)

APC Tasks Jonathan On Enugu’s Coal, 2nd Niger Bridge, Others / Mixed Reactions On Enugu's Kia Police Cars / Horrible Accident At Nkpor Flyover On Enugu-Onitsha Expressway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Landowners Issue Ultimatum On Enugu International Airport. by DuduNegro: 6:07am On Aug 27, 2013
Some landowners have threatened to halt business activities at the Enugu International Airport if the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria fails to pay them compensation within seven days for acquiring their land.

The threat is coming three days after international flight operations commenced at the airport on Saturday.The landowners said on Monday that they were promised compensation when the land was acquired in 2009 by the Federal Government for the expansion and remodelling of the airport to international status.They said since then, they had yet to receive any form of compensation from the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria.According to them, about 11 of the landowners who started the fight for compensation have died, yet FAAN has not even called them to a meeting.

One of the landowners, Mr. Joseph Chioke, commended President Goodluck Jonathan for ensuring that an airport of international standard was put in place in the South-East, but said it was regrettable that even after the government had urged the court to give the parties time to settle out of court, nothing had so far been done.He said, "Most of us are still very worried and our health is fast deteriorating because we have not had money to buy another land equivalent to the one we lost to the expansion and upgrade of the airport to international standard."We need the compensation so that we can at least build new houses, no matter how small, instead of squatting in other people's houses. Some of us have even returned to being tenants, while our money hangs.

"Chioke said since the last court sitting in July 2013, the government had been promising to pay them off, but they had yet to see any sign of that happening.He said, "We have, therefore, agreed among ourselves to carry out peaceful demonstrations at the airport and halt businesses at the airport from Monday, next week if this injustice being meted out to us continues.

"The Special Assistant (Media) to the Minister of Aviation, Mr. Joe Obi, said, "We are not aware of such complaints. Government will not allow anyone to shut the airport. If there are issues, they will be channelled to the appropriate quarters and addressed."
Re: Landowners Issue Ultimatum On Enugu International Airport. by DuduNegro: 6:15am On Aug 27, 2013
Enemies of progress are at it again. Newly commissioned international airport that took decades to realize, now their greed is in their throat and they are issuing ultimatum to disrupt operations at the airport.

4 Likes

Re: Landowners Issue Ultimatum On Enugu International Airport. by Nobody: 6:16am On Aug 27, 2013
If you acquire someone's land, you must pay! Dem dey buy land on credit? FG should pay them and save themselves of the embarassment.

5 Likes

Re: Landowners Issue Ultimatum On Enugu International Airport. by Nobody: 6:32am On Aug 27, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

I thought you guys want FG to invest and bring infrastructures to SE? Whats your problem? Now everytime you talk about Lagos being built up by FG remember that multitude families ended up with no compensantion for the land.

How many times do you hear Yoruba whose lands were converted to runways in MMIA talking about disrupting operations because they were not compensated?
Please dont turn your thread to an ethnic issue because i know thats where you are heading to.If you want a constructive argument, drop your ethnic sentiments. angry

Also modify your topic because Enugu land belongs to ndi igbo. You must not tell us it's igbo land owners . we already know that.. cool

3 Likes

Re: Landowners Issue Ultimatum On Enugu International Airport. by dridowu: 6:52am On Aug 27, 2013
Good Morning Nigerians

1 Like

Re: Landowners Issue Ultimatum On Enugu International Airport. by Freewilly(f): 6:53am On Aug 27, 2013
I'm sooooooo surprised the OP has not committed suicide yet. It must be really heart wrenching to see Enugu taking off so fast.Couple of years ago the OP and his cronies here laughing and making fun of the old Enugu departure sign.

Oh well it's just a matter of time before Enugu becomes a major hub in West Africa then Lagos will crumble, I'm just so happy next year when we travel home we won't be going through that filth called Lagos.

7 Likes

Re: Landowners Issue Ultimatum On Enugu International Airport. by Nobody: 6:54am On Aug 27, 2013
and some people where celebrating achievement OK oo
Re: Landowners Issue Ultimatum On Enugu International Airport. by funnyx(m): 7:03am On Aug 27, 2013
The govt should pay them now, if someone worked all is life to acquire a land and build a house on it the govt have no justification whatsoever to take the land from them without compensation.

1 Like

Re: Landowners Issue Ultimatum On Enugu International Airport. by Nobody: 7:13am On Aug 27, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

There is nothing wrong with discussing ethnicity, if its in NL sooner or later it will gravitate to that anyway. So I intend to express the truth, not sentiments and ethicity is a truth! cheesy

Enugu land belong to Nigerians. The airport in question also belong to Nigerians, not ndigbo.. It is without doubt situated in a land that is culturally Igbo. Therefore i have no obligation to suit the topic or discussion to Igbo, it is open to all Nigerians.

The discussion on Lagos has opened a new gate for assault in areas where we would never have thought to go before and never cared for really but today there is no more "no go areas" my sister. All lands belong to Nigerians. Right? kiss
You're just making the thread look like Igbos are not grateful for the remodeling of the Airport. If there's an agreement on acquiring the land, why should the FG not pay for the land?
Re: Landowners Issue Ultimatum On Enugu International Airport. by Nobody: 7:15am On Aug 27, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

How much do you want to bet, MASSOB is going to set a tout-branch there soon to collect Biafra tax like they do at Onitsha head bridge.
I knew you were gonna say this! Grow up NEGRO! Grow up! smh... angry

unfollows thread..
Re: Landowners Issue Ultimatum On Enugu International Airport. by Nobody: 7:17am On Aug 27, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

How much do you want to bet, MASSOB is going to set a tout-branch there soon to collect Biafra tax like they do at Onitsha head bridge.

Thank God we are finally getting the separation we want. By the time Lekki International open we will have a truly international standard airport and will not have to worry about its degradation and abuse.

I'm also looking forward to its construction. However, it will still be the same FG Immigration and Customs officials that would be deployed to the international wing.
Re: Landowners Issue Ultimatum On Enugu International Airport. by DuduNegro: 7:17am On Aug 27, 2013
berem: You're just making the thread look like Igbos are not grateful for the remodeling of the Airport. If there's an agreement on acquiring the land, why should the FG not pay for the land?

Are these landowners grateful, where is their gratitude?

Many Yorubas lost lands and recovery to FG in Lagos. Next time you want to talk about FG developed Lagos reflect on the sacrifice of the landowners and be just.

2 Likes

Re: Landowners Issue Ultimatum On Enugu International Airport. by eagleeye2: 7:19am On Aug 27, 2013
berem: You're just making the thread look like Igbos are not grateful for the remodeling of the Airport. If there's an agreement on acquiring the land, why should the FG not pay for the land?
berem,
we are grateful to FG, but those guys issuing ultimatum makes it look like we are not grateful. I am behind the landowners demanding for their compensation but I am against them giving FG a ultimatum...
Re: Landowners Issue Ultimatum On Enugu International Airport. by RedMullet: 7:22am On Aug 27, 2013
What happens after the ultimatum...? Start disrupting flight operations by doing rallies on the runways ? .... tongue grin

2 Likes

Re: Landowners Issue Ultimatum On Enugu International Airport. by DuduNegro: 7:23am On Aug 27, 2013
berem: I knew you were gonna say this! Grow up NEGRO! Grow up! smh... angry

unfollows thread..

I did not open this thread for you berem. grin

See ya...

1 Like

Re: Landowners Issue Ultimatum On Enugu International Airport. by Standing5(m): 7:27am On Aug 27, 2013
As long as there is an agreement binding them in place . . . They are free to ask for their compensation.
Re: Landowners Issue Ultimatum On Enugu International Airport. by Nobody: 7:27am On Aug 27, 2013
eagle,eye:

berem,
we are grateful to FG, but those guys issuing ultimatum makes it look like we are not grateful. I am behind the landowners demanding for their compensation but I am against them giving FG a ultimatum...
Na today? ultimatum na normal thing na! If na lie make you ask Orji Uzo Kalu. grin
Re: Landowners Issue Ultimatum On Enugu International Airport. by Nobody: 7:29am On Aug 27, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

I did not open this thread for you berem. grin

See ya...
gerrout joor! Am not commenting because of you. infact am no longer unfollowing the thread. nonsense!! angry
Re: Landowners Issue Ultimatum On Enugu International Airport. by Nobody: 7:33am On Aug 27, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

Exactly! There are ways to go about getting their recovery without a threat. It paints an ugly picture of Igbo and somebody need to coach them on civic order.
So did you post this thread because of the ultimatum given to FG or because they are asking for compensation? where do you stand?
Re: Landowners Issue Ultimatum On Enugu International Airport. by kettykin: 7:33am On Aug 27, 2013
All hail punch newspapers the propagator of negatives and false news, this piece of propaganda was not carried by any major newspaper but a road side paper that sells only false negative news, this is about the only major news from punch on enugu international airport

2 Likes

Re: Landowners Issue Ultimatum On Enugu International Airport. by Nobody: 7:34am On Aug 27, 2013
Dudu_Negro: Enemies of progress are at it again. Newly commissioned international airport that took decades to realize, now their greed is in their throat and they are issuing ultimatum to disrupt operations at the airport. I am yet to witness any Ibo ultimatum coming true, so this will not be different...a typical Ibo noise making to draw attention.

dude
Nobody will die for Nigeria
in as much as we all want development it shouldn't be at the expense of probably our only piece of land

Or are you saying they should not be compensated?
Re: Landowners Issue Ultimatum On Enugu International Airport. by Provie(m): 7:43am On Aug 27, 2013
Ur agitations are right. Bt u ar wrong to talk of shutting d fledging airport business. Must we alwyz seek attention? U already hav a suit in court; go bak & tell d court dat setlement has failed; den continue d case. We shud not sabotage our own.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dr. Patrick Ifeanyi Ubah Has Announced Prince Dr. Emeka Eze As His Running Mate / With Looming S. Court Defeat, Anti Ameachi's Plot Aboard Presidential Jet. / We Will NOT Spend #64billion To Build Abuja City Gates- FCTA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.