Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,008 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:42 AM

Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law (30387 Views)

Osinbajo And Malami In Turf War Over $1.3billion Malabu Scam - Premium Times / The Coming War Over Fulani / Odinkalu, Fani-kayode In Twitter War Over Hate Speech. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Abagworo(m): 10:12pm On Aug 27, 2013
OWERRI—Imo State governor, Chief Rochas Okorocha, and Catholic Medical Practitioners Association are at daggers-drawn over the abortion bill the former just signed into law.
The law, among others, permits women to procure abortion at will.

Sponsored by the Majority Leader and member representing Ahiazu Mbaise state constituency, Mrs. Adekunle Ihuoma, the law is to be cited as “Imo State of Nigeria, Violence Against Persons (Prohibition) Law Number 12 of 2012”.
According to the new law, every woman shall have the right to enjoy reproductive rights, including  rights to medical abortion in cases of sexual assault, rape, incest and where the continued pregnancy endangers the life or the physical, mental, psychological or emotional health of the mother.
The law also stipulates that “every woman shall have the right to take decisions about her health needs and requirements.”
The law was very specific that a woman “shall have the right to determine the processes concerning reproduction in her body.”
Okorocha also approved that every woman should have a right to health, which should be understood to mean enjoyment of the highest level of physical, mental and social well-being and healthcare services.
These provisions include everything relating to family planning.
Chairman, Catholic Medical Practitioners Association, Dr. Phillip Njemanze, has reacted angrily to the law, arguing that “the law is anti-God, dehumanizing and totally unacceptable to the association.
“The law is devastating. With its signing into law by Governor Okorocha, abortion has been legalized in the state and anybody, just anybody can now ask for abortion as a right in the state.”
While recalling that the National Assembly had earlier rejected the bill, especially as it was against humanity, Njemanze reasoned that the law would encourage human egg trafficking.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/08/okorocha-catholic-doctors-at-war-over-abortion-law/

3 Likes

Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Saraben(f): 10:22pm On Aug 27, 2013
Abortion is simply murder no 2 ways abt it

15 Likes

Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Maxymilliano(m): 10:30pm On Aug 27, 2013
Saraben: Abortion is simply murder no 2 ways abt it

The law is evil, what if he were aborted?

12 Likes

Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Itoroetti(m): 10:41pm On Aug 27, 2013
Maxymilliano:

The law is evil, what if he were aborted?

Don't mind that I'd.iot.
He thinks he owns the whole wide world.

2 Likes

Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Reptyle(m): 10:41pm On Aug 27, 2013
Abagworo: OWERRI—Imo State governor, Chief Rochas Okorocha, and Catholic Medical Practitioners Association are at daggers-drawn over the abortion bill the former just signed into law.

Sponsored by the Majority Leader and member representing Ahiazu Mbaise state constituency, Mrs. Adekunle Ihuoma, the law is to be cited as “Imo State of Nigeria, Violence Against Persons (Prohibition) Law Number 12 of 2012”.
According to the new law, every woman shall have the right to enjoy reproductive rights, including  rights to medical abortion in cases of sexual assault, rape, incest and where the continued pregnancy endangers the life or the physical, mental, psychological or emotional health of the mother.
The law also stipulates that “every woman shall have the right to take decisions about her health needs and requirements.”
The law was very specific that a woman “shall have the right to determine the processes concerning reproduction in her body.”
Okorocha also approved that every woman should have a right to health, which should be understood to mean enjoyment of the highest level of physical, mental and social well-being and healthcare services.
Chairman, Catholic Medical Practitioners Association, Dr. Phillip Njemanze, has reacted angrily to the law, arguing that “the law is anti-God, dehumanizing and totally unacceptable to the association.
“The law is devastating. With its signing into law by Governor Okorocha, abortion has been legalized in the state and anybody, just anybody can now ask for abortion as a right in the state.”
While recalling that the National Assembly had earlier rejected the bill, especially as it was against humanity, Njemanze reasoned that the law would encourage human egg trafficking.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/08/okorocha-catholic-doctors-at-war-over-abortion-law/

Seems to me like the law is specific about instances where abortion can be procured. What's the fuss?

26 Likes

Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by nedu2000(m): 11:02pm On Aug 27, 2013
Reptyle:

Seems to me like the law is specific about instances where abortion can be procured. What's the fuss?
I partly agree with you,especially if maybe the woman's life would be at risk or cases of rape,but there's always a greater likelihood of it being abused by randy/promiscious men & women

1 Like

Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Eobiabo(m): 11:02pm On Aug 27, 2013
hmmmm
Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by AustineE1: 11:07pm On Aug 27, 2013
... motivated by the 'clandestine'!the 'victim' and the 'dark',an initiatory step towards the acceptable!...only for those who can discern.
Beyond the panache and political funfair, pain is what they offer you.
Rochas deserves pity,the problem is his personal devil!!! If you do nt understand me,stay out of this.
Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Abagworo(m): 11:15pm On Aug 27, 2013
Austine.E:
... motivated by the 'clandestine'!the 'victim' and the 'dark',an initiatory step towards the acceptable!...only for those who can discern.
Beyond the panache and political funfair, pain is what they offer you.
Rochas deserves pity,the problem is his personal devil!!! If you do nt understand me,stay out of this.

I believe this should be up for the female gender to determine. Abortion has been going on illegaly for so long and we also have knowledge of the baby factory issue and abuse of women with regards to pregnancy. I think going by the instances given, the law still prohibits careless and baseless abortion.

The bill was sponsored by a female lawmaker and is aimed at liberating women's right to sexual freedom.

5 Likes

Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Garrithe1st: 12:16am On Aug 28, 2013
These Catholic doctors should go and sleep joor.

The Law specifically mentions situations in which a woman can legitimately seek abortion. Women must of course have necessary rights to determine what happens to their body.

If a lady is RAP£D and becomes pregnant she has a right to abort the pregnancy if she so desires.

Nigeria isn't a Christian state, hence Christians should know that even the bible's stance on abortion is binding only on conscientious christians and shouldn't form the law of a state.

cool cool

25 Likes

Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Brimmie(m): 2:09am On Aug 28, 2013
Dem suppose don pass this bill tey tey na!! All ds trolls frm that side for nor enter here!

1 Like

Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Nobody: 3:21am On Aug 28, 2013
Abagworo: OWERRI—Imo State governor, Chief Rochas Okorocha, and Catholic Medical Practitioners Association are at daggers-drawn over the abortion bill the former just signed into law.

Seriously, catholics should stop this their "holier than thou" attitude. Why are they complaining when their so called Rev SISTERS are the major players in "ABORTION SECTOR". I just read the article in between the lines now and understood the content of the bill. Why would a woman keep a pregnancy for an armed robber/rapist or a pregnancy that might endanger her life? undecided

4 Likes

Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by IB5(f): 4:17am On Aug 28, 2013
For whichever reason, abortion is not an option. angry
Killing "nations"(babies) and calling it abortion for flimsy excuses. angry

2 Likes

Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Sall(m): 4:38am On Aug 28, 2013
Nice one there
Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Gboliwe: 5:03am On Aug 28, 2013
Reptyle:

same question i'm asking
Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by 3ace(m): 5:43am On Aug 28, 2013
I-B.:
I am surprised at this comment particularly coming from a lady. Are you saying a female should keep a pregnancy for a ràpist? I pray it doesn't happen to you.

9 Likes

Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Nobody: 5:56am On Aug 28, 2013
If a pregnancy is as a result of molestation or rape, it should be aborted. If it will endanger the life of the woman. it should be kicked out. Period. Bloody hypocrites.

2 Likes

Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Garrithe1st: 5:58am On Aug 28, 2013
I-B.:

grin grin
Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Nobody: 6:08am On Aug 28, 2013
Rochas had better be careful!!! If he decides to fight the catholic church which comprises about 70% of the states population he will be finised politically.He should not forget what happeded to Ohakim and how he got to power in the first place.Abortion is murder except when the pregnacy endangers the mother's life.Even if a child comes from rape he should be allowed to live

Those of you arguing oterwise,assuming of your daughter is raped and somehow manages to give birth to a baby resulting from its pregancy will it be rigt to still kill the baby after it has already been born simply because his father was a rapist?

So it becomes murder even when the child is a few hours old but legal abortion even when the mother is 8 months pregmants.Taking of human life is bad.There is no two ways about it.

It is simply a use of differant terminologies to describe the same act

25 Likes

Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Vanityupnvanity(m): 6:13am On Aug 28, 2013
Both sides should pls shield their swords.

1 Like

Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Gboliwe: 6:24am On Aug 28, 2013
chukwudi44: Rochas had better be careful!!! If he decides to fight the catholic church which comprises about 70% of the states population he will be finised politically.He should not forget what happeded to Ohakim and how he got to power in the first place. Abortion is murder except when the pregnacy endangers the mother's life .Even if a child comes from rape he should be allowed to live

Those of you arguing oterwise,assuming of your daughter is raped and somehow manages to give birth to a baby resulting from its pregancy will it be rigt to still kill the baby after it has already been born simply because his father was a rapist?

So it becomes murder even when the child is a few hours old but legal abortion even when the mother is 8 months pregmants.Taking of human life is bad.There is no two ways about it.

It is simply a use of differant terminologies to describe the same act
why is it no more murder at that stage?

1 Like

Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Nobody: 6:31am On Aug 28, 2013
Gboliwe:
why is it no more murder at that stage?

Because either way humanm life is involved.It is like an armed man shooting an armed robber to death for self defence,then it is not murder but when you shoot an unarmed man it becomes murder.

By the way even when the mothers life is threatened she still has the option of scrificing herself to save her baby.People have done it in the past.

I know a particular catholic saint in italy who did that.She offered to die to have her baby.

9 Likes

Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Nobody: 6:34am On Aug 28, 2013
If okorocha does not handle this well,it will end very badly for him politically.Never underestimate the power of the catholic church in the south east especially in imo,anambra and enugu states.

3 Likes

Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by SELENAqueensy(f): 7:45am On Aug 28, 2013
Neva believed abortion was such an evil ting until i read a book "souls of the aborted babies" :' ;(

am really againt dat shit... If u aint ready 2 make babies, den quit fu*ckn or use protection.
Stop depriving d babies thier chance 2 live

Say no to abortion!!

5 Likes

Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Xplodes2700(m): 7:50am On Aug 28, 2013
When i read some people's comment here am disapointed the way they think, i'm in support of the bill, pregnancy as a result of molestation or rape can be aborted, if you know the psychological and emotional pain the mother go through, plus the stigma attached to her from the society, if She's a student, her education is affected, and who will easy marry a single mum? Please lets not allow religion affect our sense Reasoning

11 Likes

Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by dridowu: 8:10am On Aug 28, 2013
Hmmmmmm, no other name it is MURDER

2 Likes

Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by aryzgreat: 8:10am On Aug 28, 2013
Xplodes2700: When i read some people's comment here am disapointed the way they think, i'm in support of the bill, pregnancy as a result of molestation or rape can be aborted, if you know the psychological and emotional pain the mother go through, plus the stigma attached to her from the society, if She's a student, her education is affected, and who will easy marry a single mum? Please lets not allow religion affect our sense Reasoning

And in d process of aborting her reproductive organ is affected, hope tomorrow if someone like u marry her and she cudnt give birth u will not dump her for a 2nd wife? SAY NO TO ABORTION! Rape is not an excuse to kill a baby. Ppl do get HIV tru rape should we now pass a law that they av d ryt to kill themselves?

12 Likes

Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Desric(m): 8:17am On Aug 28, 2013
SELENAqueensy: Neva believed abortion was such an evil ting until i read a book "souls of the aborted babies" :' ;(

am really againt dat shit... If u aint ready 2 make babies, den quit fu*ckn or use protection.
Stop depriving d babies thier chance 2 live

Say no to abortion!!
And what is the essence of banging if you aint ready to make babies? if you protect yourself, you are as well killing a baby or were the Siemens made to be wasted? Don't you know they are also babies as well? Since you can't stop everyone from the pleasure of having s*x, then why not support the bill? Of course heaven won't fall and hell won't be locked up.
Hypocrites and bloody hypocrites that's what these doctors are, Go to their families, if their daughters or relatives have a bastard baby, they will disown and stigmatise against her and tell her that the baby can't bear their family name yet they are against safe abortions.
Please you guys should say something else and leave heating up the polity unnecessarily. Abortion has being illegally legal over time as it is a very common practice almost everywhere around our country or the only evil of this bill is that it has the courage to pen it down as a law and female right in Imo state? No wonder they say " Failure to reward success is another form of encouraging Mediocrity" and as usual Nigerians are the Masters when it comes to celebrating Mediocrity so I am not surprised at all.

2 Likes

Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Bright2(m): 8:26am On Aug 28, 2013
Okorocha, life begins at conception! Let the living be! undecided

3 Likes

Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Nobody: 8:27am On Aug 28, 2013
Abortion should be decided by the pregnant lady. It's a personal decision.

5 Likes

Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by Nobody: 8:35am On Aug 28, 2013
oya! i hereby present the bill before the Nairaland Assembly. Those in support of this bill say 'ai' and those against say 'nay'.......
Re: Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law by MrAladin: 8:40am On Aug 28, 2013
Garri the 1st: These Catholic doctors should go and sleep joor.

The Law specifically mentions situations in which a woman can legitimately seek abortion. Women must of course have necessary rights to determine what happens to their body.

If a lady is RAP£D and becomes pregnant she has a right to abort the pregnancy if she so desires.

Nigeria isn't a Christian state, hence Christians should know that even the bible's stance on abortion is binding only on conscientious christians and shouldn't form the law of a state.

cool cool

Oh I Can't Stop weeping For U.
I can Imagine D pain ur parent are going through havin u as a child

12 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Boko Haram Attacks Rann Camp Bombed By Nigeria's Air Force / Why Sunday Igboho Can’t Be Extradited To Nigeria - Lawyer / Eid-El-kabir: Amosun, Wale Tinubu, Others Visit President Buhari In Daura

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.