Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,316 members, 7,808,065 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:26 AM

Some Fish Are Born To Lead - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Some Fish Are Born To Lead (11121 Views)

Huawei To Lead Ghana’s Endeavour For ICT Modernization / Dendrimer Can Effectively Remove And Recycle Lead Ions In The Different Soil. / High Quality Lead Crystal Batteries And Lights For Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Fish Are Born To Lead by pisolution(m): 4:51pm On Aug 28, 2013
Leadership is an innate quality, according to a fish study that predicted trouble in animal social groups, also human ones, when natural roles are reversed.

Groups tend to perform better with a combination of willing followers and strong leaders, which in most animal species are bolder, more extroverted individuals.

But incentives, like higher salaries for humans, can cause natural followers to become leaders, and scientists have long debated the desirability of such role reversal.

To probe whether natural followers can be turned into leaders and vice versa, a research team studied stickleback fish – a group foraging species known to have bold and shy individuals.

First, they studied the fish in large laboratory tanks for several weeks to separate the leaders from the followers.

Leaders were more prone to leave the deep, covered, ‘safe’ area of a tank and travel through ‘risky’, shallow waters to get to a feeding station.

The fish were then divided into pairs, each with one bold and one shy member, the team wrote in the journal Proceedings of the Royal Society B.

In one experiment, the fish were rewarded with food for displaying their natural behaviour – the leader for initiating a trip and the follower for trailing behind. In a second, they were rewarded for role reversal – the shy fish for each time it initiated a foraging trip and the bolder one for following.

‘Our prediction was that bold individuals would perform poorly when forced to adopt the role of follower, considering that they are less responsive to other individuals’ behaviour,’ study co-author Shinnosuke Nakayama of the University of Cambridge’s zoology department told AFP by email.

The opposite turned out to be true: leader fish were much quicker to adopt a follower role than the other way round.

‘Fish can learn to follow but struggle to learn to lead,’ said Nakayama of the findings.

‘We found that leaders are born, not made,’ added a study summary.

The role reversal also had an impact on group success.

When incentivised to act against their natural instincts, fewer foraging excursions resulted in both members of a pair being fed.

The team said their findings raised intriguing questions for the broader study of group behaviour.

‘Strong positive effects of personality variation are only likely to emerge when members of a group are free to establish their own roles, such that bolder (or, in the human case, more extroverted) individuals can assume leadership,’ the study suggested.

It would appear to ‘be better for us to adopt social roles of leader and follower in the way we feel natural’, added Nakayama.

Source: http://www.magazine.believersboard.com/study-finds-fish-born-lead/

Other Hot News
1. Tope Alabi Finally Speaks Out on PROPHET AJANAKU’S DEATH
http://www.magazine.believersboard.com/tope-alabi-finally-speaks-prophet-ajanakus-death/

2. Show Of Shame! Edo State Primary School Teacher Couldn’t Read Own Certificate During Screening
http://www.magazine.believersboard.com/show-shame-edo-state-primary-school-teacher-couldnt-read-certificate-screening/

3. Famous Army General’s 17-Year-Old Son To Be Jailed For Hotel Gang-Rape
http://www.magazine.believersboard.com/famous-army-generals-17-year-old-son-jailed-hotel-gang-rape/
Re: Some Fish Are Born To Lead by Dubby6(m): 5:41pm On Aug 28, 2013
Rubish

2 Likes

Re: Some Fish Are Born To Lead by Nobody: 4:57pm On Aug 29, 2013
Fish shocked, okay oh
Re: Some Fish Are Born To Lead by leckxy(m): 4:57pm On Aug 29, 2013
wetin we no go hear
Re: Some Fish Are Born To Lead by Nobody: 4:57pm On Aug 29, 2013
Then lead your way inside my pot,baby Fishacita! 2nd to comment... kiss

2 Likes

Re: Some Fish Are Born To Lead by Nobody: 4:58pm On Aug 29, 2013
Then lead your way inside my pot,baby Fishacita! 2nd to comment... #Dancing Skelewu untop Kilimanjaro!#kiss
Re: Some Fish Are Born To Lead by bokoarerams: 4:58pm On Aug 29, 2013
2nd to comment,some fish are born for peppersoup

1 Like

Re: Some Fish Are Born To Lead by glizengem(f): 4:58pm On Aug 29, 2013
Duhhhh i no go comment, i jst dey drag position .... M 2nd oooooo oluwa noni

1 Like

Re: Some Fish Are Born To Lead by Nobody: 4:59pm On Aug 29, 2013
Wats number am I on dz page Anyaw its a new record sha
Re: Some Fish Are Born To Lead by Nobody: 5:00pm On Aug 29, 2013
Smartini: Then lead your way inside my pot,baby Fishacita! 2nd to comment... kiss
grin when did yhu eat fish last talk less. yhu wey b sey na only Xmas day una dey chop fish. grin

1 Like

Re: Some Fish Are Born To Lead by 2ndChance: 5:01pm On Aug 29, 2013
‘We found that leaders are born, not made,’ added a study summary
Re: Some Fish Are Born To Lead by thaoriginator: 5:01pm On Aug 29, 2013
Re: Some Fish Are Born To Lead by HARMYMY(f): 5:01pm On Aug 29, 2013
nawaoooo peppersoup matter be that
Re: Some Fish Are Born To Lead by bilo1(m): 5:04pm On Aug 29, 2013
Ist page tings
Re: Some Fish Are Born To Lead by unmask: 5:04pm On Aug 29, 2013
Dubby6: Rubish
and your reasons are? I think the study is brilliant....and it might even explain why black nations dont fare well post colonisation

1 Like

Re: Some Fish Are Born To Lead by Mccullum: 5:05pm On Aug 29, 2013
That may be truth simply because some people always shy while they're introvert as well and for such person; they'll find it difficult to lead while the extrovert and bold persons would be more advantageous to lead their group, organization and country only if such person posessed the requirement of being leader.
Re: Some Fish Are Born To Lead by moscobabs(m): 5:05pm On Aug 29, 2013
Last to comment sa
Re: Some Fish Are Born To Lead by alaoeri: 5:07pm On Aug 29, 2013
Just like human being, some are born to lead e.g Tinubu.
Re: Some Fish Are Born To Lead by Nobody: 5:09pm On Aug 29, 2013
Now you know why they call me FISH!
Re: Some Fish Are Born To Lead by Blessmira: 5:11pm On Aug 29, 2013
Fish pepper soup with chilled wine.
Going going.....cheesy
Re: Some Fish Are Born To Lead by Nobody: 5:12pm On Aug 29, 2013
We are all animals, just that we are higher animals.
Re: Some Fish Are Born To Lead by Okijajuju1(m): 5:16pm On Aug 29, 2013
Im sure Ice fish in one of them..

Why dont we have icefish in Nigeria?!
Re: Some Fish Are Born To Lead by owolabifunke14(f): 5:24pm On Aug 29, 2013
Baybe: We are all animals, just that we are higher animals.
biology talk
Re: Some Fish Are Born To Lead by gratiaeo(m): 5:31pm On Aug 29, 2013
End time tinz

1 Like

Re: Some Fish Are Born To Lead by everyday: 5:31pm On Aug 29, 2013
some are some humans born to lead
Re: Some Fish Are Born To Lead by Ameborolofofo: 5:40pm On Aug 29, 2013
Oya my great nairalanders, Like this post if you no get time read all that tory wey dis OP write for dia. wetin concern us and leader fish.

1 Like

Re: Some Fish Are Born To Lead by bebechuks: 5:47pm On Aug 29, 2013
Nna fish ke?
Re: Some Fish Are Born To Lead by sagytariusTM1: 5:47pm On Aug 29, 2013
Okporoko comes to mind.
Re: Some Fish Are Born To Lead by condralbede(m): 5:50pm On Aug 29, 2013
boko are rams: 2nd to comment,some fish are born for peppersoup
look at what ASUU hv done to ur brain,so u can't evn count again
Re: Some Fish Are Born To Lead by sagytariusTM1: 5:53pm On Aug 29, 2013
gratiaeo: End time tinz
A Mod hidded my post because of this comment. angry

1 Like

Re: Some Fish Are Born To Lead by Q3(m): 5:54pm On Aug 29, 2013
!b shocked shocked :oGrilled fish are born 2 b spiced abi........ Tell us more

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

7 Ways To Cool Off A Hot Smartphone / Top 10 Greatest Scientists Of The World / Where Can I Buy Electronic Components In Lagos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.