Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,307 members, 7,808,041 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:32 AM

ASUU Strike Update: Students Give Fg, ASUU 7-day Ultimatum To End Strike - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike Update: Students Give Fg, ASUU 7-day Ultimatum To End Strike (1925 Views)

5 Excuses Students Give To Their Parents When They Fail Their Exams / ASUU Strike Update: Jonathan Approves N400bn Lifeline –SSANU / ASUU Strike Update: Crucial Meeting Said To Be Holding Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Strike Update: Students Give Fg, ASUU 7-day Ultimatum To End Strike by emmabowin(m): 9:48am On Aug 29, 2013
After almost two months of near silence,the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) finally woke up from their slumber and has given the Federal Government and ASUU one week ultimatum to end the prolong industrial action. Only recently,FG had claimed that ASUU had been infiltrated by the opposition,i guess it's safe to say that NANS seems to have taken sides or could it be that they too had been infiltrated.

Peeved by almost two-month old strike
by the Academic Staff Union of
Universities (ASUU), the National
Association of Nigerian Students (NANS),
yesterday issued a one-week ultimatum
to the Federal Government and the
union’s leadership to resolve their
differences or face serious consequences.
The students said if the impasse was not
resolved within the next seven days, it
will mobilise students on a nation-wide
riot in what it described as ‘operation
occupy Nigeria’. The students’ body
appealed to ASUU to return to the
classroom and continue negotiation with
the Federal Government since the latter
claimed to have released over N100
billion for infrastructural development and
another N30 billion for allowances. This
was the highpoint of a protest by the
students who blocked the Asaba end of
the River Niger Bridge to press home
their demands. The protest caused traffic
snarl for several hours as the students
stalled movements to the eastern part of
the country even as those returning were
barred. NANS coordinator in the South-
South and South-East, Comrade Chinonso
Obasi, stated that students were at the
receiving end of the strike and vowed
that they would take their destinies in
their own hands if the parties failed to
reconcile within a week. “We are
appealing to ASUU that since the Federal
Government has been able to release
N100 billion for infrastructural
development and N30 billion for
allowance, they should go back to
classroom and continue their negotiation
or agitation. This is our prayer and wish.
“We are giving them one week to open
the schools or be ready to face corrosive
consequences in form of nation-wide
demonstration and riots. We are ready to
mobilise for that and it will be operation
occupy Nigeria,” he said. Lamenting the
effect of the strike, Obasi said students
have become prone to accidents on the
highways and the female students have
been reduced to s*x hawkers on the
streets. His words: “I stand to tell you
that a lot of accidents have been recorded
and 99.9% of the victims are Nigerian
students. If they were in classrooms, they
would not have fallen victims of road
crashes. “Our female students have
become commercial s*x hawkers on the
streets in order to make ends meet. This
colossal effect is more than what ASUU is
agitating for. Hence, we can no longer
fold our arms and watch things go
wrong.” (SunNewsOnline)

source
articles. naijamatters.com
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Students Give Fg, ASUU 7-day Ultimatum To End Strike by emmabowin(m): 9:52am On Aug 29, 2013
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Students Give Fg, ASUU 7-day Ultimatum To End Strike by Joe5(m): 9:59am On Aug 29, 2013
Hmmmmmmm
The sleeping dog suddenly woke up. Hope it all wouldn't end in words...........let's see the action
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Students Give Fg, ASUU 7-day Ultimatum To End Strike by mrendowed2: 10:06am On Aug 29, 2013
"OPERATION OCCUPY NIGERIA"
Well,i'll be at the back of the protesters,i nor fit collect gun or tear gas for this country matter

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike Update: Students Give Fg, ASUU 7-day Ultimatum To End Strike by ifeoluwaomotoso(m): 10:21am On Aug 29, 2013
kudos to d NANS president but hope dis wl bring positive outcome. Fg/ASUU are nt ready to do anything, Its tym we fyt for our ryt. Greatest nigeria std.
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Students Give Fg, ASUU 7-day Ultimatum To End Strike by mrendowed2: 10:42am On Aug 29, 2013
ifeoluwaomotoso: kudos to d NANS president but hope dis wl bring positive outcome. Fg/ASUU are nt ready to do anything, Its tym we fyt for our ryt. Greatest nigeria std.

Great
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Students Give Fg, ASUU 7-day Ultimatum To End Strike by Joe5(m): 10:53am On Aug 29, 2013
It's obvious that over here in Nigeria, government woun't take action unless there is a riot or protest. This confirms the concept that one of the ways of influencing government is through mob actions
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Students Give Fg, ASUU 7-day Ultimatum To End Strike by Nobody: 11:06am On Aug 29, 2013
For more, visit:

www.assholestrike.com
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Students Give Fg, ASUU 7-day Ultimatum To End Strike by emmabowin(m): 11:27am On Aug 29, 2013
Joe.:
It's obvious that over here in Nigeria, government woun't take action unless there is a riot or protest. This confirms the concept that one of the ways of influencing government is through mob actions
my brother are you sure this protest will yield a positive result. I just hope this doesn't lead to the death of our students cos our police are not the best in controlling angry protesters.
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Students Give Fg, ASUU 7-day Ultimatum To End Strike by 7footre(m): 11:37am On Aug 29, 2013
I for sure will not be joining the protest. You only live once YOLO
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Students Give Fg, ASUU 7-day Ultimatum To End Strike by otokx(m): 11:49am On Aug 29, 2013
Peaceful protest especially by students does not always end in peace.
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Students Give Fg, ASUU 7-day Ultimatum To End Strike by Ayima: 12:05pm On Aug 29, 2013
This ASUU/Fg conundrum is an enigma to me.Our educational system is in the state of quagmire and doldrums, as far as i am concerned a country that doesn’t pay attention to her educational sector that country is already experiencing hell on planet earth.Corruption is a major factor militating against Nigerian growth and development, Fg is corrupt and ASUU too are corrupt individuals.ASUU will collect that money from the FG and in the end they will still collect money from students and dash them As just like that,they harrass girls, collect sorting infact most of them doesn’t even come to class to lecture, I’m crying for my country Nigeria because I’m so afraid that even God may find it cumbersome tor change this country.
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Students Give Fg, ASUU 7-day Ultimatum To End Strike by Samotology(m): 1:07pm On Aug 29, 2013
emma bowin:
my brother are you sure this protest will yield a positive result. I just hope this doesn't lead to the death of our students cos our police are not the best in controlling angry protesters.

student like u will end up nt coming out, just have it at d back of ur mind dat we are going to achieve our motive come dis protest.

Samotology

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike Update: Students Give Fg, ASUU 7-day Ultimatum To End Strike by dan8real(m): 1:29pm On Aug 29, 2013
NANS come we go follow,aluta continua
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Students Give Fg, ASUU 7-day Ultimatum To End Strike by emmabowin(m): 2:28pm On Aug 29, 2013
Samotology:

student like u will end up nt coming out, just have it at d back of ur mind dat we are going to achieve our motive come dis protest.

Samotology
I have not in any way said am not partaking in the protest, my only fear is that if we must protest, then it should be a peaceful one and not an avenue to perpetuate violence.
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Students Give Fg, ASUU 7-day Ultimatum To End Strike by engrflames: 3:22pm On Aug 29, 2013
Its time to occupy 9ja again...aluta continua victoria acerta
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Students Give Fg, ASUU 7-day Ultimatum To End Strike by Appliedmaths(m): 3:45pm On Aug 29, 2013
Am not trying to sound violent or like a gangstar, ya'll should count me out until we are ready to protest with our tools...as we dey waka for road we go they throway 4 air make 'em sabi say boiz still dey around...no level 4 AK.
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Students Give Fg, ASUU 7-day Ultimatum To End Strike by Nobody: 4:12pm On Aug 29, 2013
SUPPORTED!!!
But NANS, we need bulletproofs oo. 'd police is our friend' is only in d books. its either we run wen dey come out or we stand and defy them wit our bulletproof or we die or we return fire for fire.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike Update: Students Give Fg, ASUU 7-day Ultimatum To End Strike by SimeonIce(m): 4:17pm On Aug 29, 2013
Let the revolution begin!
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Students Give Fg, ASUU 7-day Ultimatum To End Strike by tandric(m): 6:41pm On Aug 29, 2013
i can wait to see wat happens
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Students Give Fg, ASUU 7-day Ultimatum To End Strike by chi2012(f): 6:47pm On Aug 29, 2013
ALUTA CONTINUA wink tongue
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Students Give Fg, ASUU 7-day Ultimatum To End Strike by Joe5(m): 7:02pm On Aug 29, 2013
If only we had vibrant oncompromising human rights activists. This is when we need them most but we can't see them lending their voices in support of the students

No matter what it takes, let us all affected students come out enmasse.......if they will kill us let them do it.......maybe we shall become 21st century saints......lol
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Students Give Fg, ASUU 7-day Ultimatum To End Strike by emmabowin(m): 7:08pm On Aug 29, 2013
Seems everyone is bracing up for that day.my fellow student,this is suppose to be a peaceful protest.let us try as much as possible avoid violence in order not to witness a repeat of the scenerio that played out when the Delta state chapter of NANS went on protest
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Students Give Fg, ASUU 7-day Ultimatum To End Strike by Cabsso(m): 7:23pm On Aug 29, 2013
tandric: i can wait to see wat happens
hahaha u b idiot dem tel u say na drama we wan act?
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Students Give Fg, ASUU 7-day Ultimatum To End Strike by Burger01(m): 7:12am On Aug 30, 2013
Season 3 Episode 1

cool
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Students Give Fg, ASUU 7-day Ultimatum To End Strike by sammy329(m): 7:32am On Aug 30, 2013
undecided
Re: ASUU Strike Update: Students Give Fg, ASUU 7-day Ultimatum To End Strike by rapcy(m): 7:57am On Aug 30, 2013
Riot shocked ... Nigerians, avoid violence

(1) (Reply)

I Almost Dropped Out – 2014 Caleb’s University Best Graduating Student / Collection Of Certificates By UNILAG Msc Newly Convocated Graduants / NOUN, 300 Level Accounting Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.