Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,559 members, 7,809,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:37 PM

Suntai, Deputy Claim Taraba Governorship Seat - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Suntai, Deputy Claim Taraba Governorship Seat (19883 Views)

Wike Climbed Into The Governorship Seat Over Dead Bodies - Prof Itse Sagay / Panic In APC Over Benue Governorship Seat / Opinion: Can Apc Wins The Governorship Seat In Akwa Ibom State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Suntai, Deputy Claim Taraba Governorship Seat by steg0miah: 10:03am On Aug 29, 2013
Taraba state drifted further Wednesday without a clear decision on who was in charge after its acting governor, Garba Umar, dismissed the dissolution of the state cabinet by ailing governor, Danbaba Suntai, insisting that he would continue to act as governor until the state assembly decided otherwise.

Mr. Umar said he was however willing to revert to his position as deputy governor if the House of Assembly, which had insisted on determining Mr. Suntai’s true health condition, asked him to do so.

“I am waiting to hear from them. As I speak to you, if the assembly tells me to revert to the position of deputy, I will comply,” Mr. Umar was quoted as saying Wednesday as the state appeared to inch towards a full-blown political crisis.

The acting governor had earlier dismissed Mr. Suntai’s decision on Wednesday to dissolve the state council and appoint a new secretary, insisting that he was in charge since the state assembly was yet to notify him that the governor, who returned on Sunday from a 10-month medical trip abroad, had resumed work.

In a reaction to an enquiry by PREMIUM TIMES, a spokesperson said the steps purportedly taken by Mr. Suntai so far were null and void.

“Before he assumed office as acting governor, a letter was conveyed to him by the state House of Assembly confirming him. Up till this moment, there is no communication from the House to say that confirmation has been reversed,” the spokesperson, Kefas Sule, said.

“To the best of our knowledge there are no two governments in Taraba and all members of the State Executive Council remain in office.”

Mr. Suntai, who appeared apparently ill during his arrival on Sunday, has made no public appearance or given an address since his arrival, fuelling speculation about the state of his mind and capacity to lead the state.

The House said on Tuesday it would insist on meeting with the governor before taking a decision.

But after what seemed a decisive effort to meet the governor on Wednesday, the lawmakers declined to state the details of their findings, or whether they were allowed access to the governor or not.

The House said it would speak on the visit Thursday (today).

Still, the tension that had built up in the state for the most part of Wednesday appeared to have lowered late evening after Mr. Suntai reportedly appeared briefly on television and swore in new cabinet appointees.

“I thank the people of Taraba State for standing by me and my family. I also thank the commissioners for holding the fort while I was away. Also enjoin all of you to continue to live in peace,” he reportedly said in a recorded remark.

Critics have accused the governor’s family and associates of attempting to foist a critically ill governor on the state so they can usurp his powers.

“Whereas we sympathize with the Suntais and the entire people of Taraba State over this unfortunate incident and sincerely wish the ailing Governor full recovery, we however condemn unequivocally the attempt by some political vultures within and outside the State who are bent on holding a whole State to ransom and make effective governance once again unrealistic,” a network of civil society groups said on Tuesday.

“These charlatans have desperately kept trying to cling to political power and by extension the resources of Taraba State through series of craftily woven plots of deceits, meant to hoodwink the Nigeria public in a manner similar to the unfortunate Turai-Yar’adua saga.”

Events since Monday appeared to give strength to that concern as the critically ill governor issued an immediate notification to the House of Assembly signaling his preparedness to resume work.

Then, while lawmakers insisted he addressed them before approving his letter, the governor, on Wednesday, announced the dissolution of the cabinet and named a new secretary to the state government.

The governor named the outgoing commissioner for Justice, Timothy Kataps, as the news SSG, and Aminu Jika as the new Chief of Staff.

But the acting governor, Mr. Umar, dismissed the order as null and void, and laid claim to the office hours later.

The declaration heightened the political tension in the state that has endured months of uncertainty as both sides jostled for authority and sought to outplay the other long before Mr. Suntai returned to Nigeria.
http://premiumtimesng.com/news/143695-uncertainty-mounts-in-taraba-as-suntai-deputy-lay-claim-to-governorship-seat.html
Re: Suntai, Deputy Claim Taraba Governorship Seat by gistsky: 10:29am On Aug 29, 2013
SUNTAI has neva made any statement since he arrived. Blame it on suntai's wife n suntai's aides. Nigerian politicians re like soldier ants, They prefer dying in biting to leavin d power n live.

5 Likes

Re: Suntai, Deputy Claim Taraba Governorship Seat by koolet: 11:24am On Aug 29, 2013
Hezz sure not fit for Governorship, BTW, A state is to be ruled by sumone in his Right senses, his Aides nd family should help him Resume his Office As a PILOT for even before Now, He Admired flying an Aircraft..

Click LIKE if U support this Motion..

7 Likes

Re: Suntai, Deputy Claim Taraba Governorship Seat by vanhelsing2099(m): 11:25am On Aug 29, 2013
End time tinx ....

3 Likes

Re: Suntai, Deputy Claim Taraba Governorship Seat by Abali1(m): 11:25am On Aug 29, 2013
This film sweet die.... abeg who be actor and who be boss?
Re: Suntai, Deputy Claim Taraba Governorship Seat by adexsimply(m): 11:26am On Aug 29, 2013
Sign of End Time

1 Like

Re: Suntai, Deputy Claim Taraba Governorship Seat by mu2sa2: 11:26am On Aug 29, 2013
The Suntai i saw on tv does not appear fit health wise. But the political jobbers who will lose out in Suntai's absence are just scheming to remain relevant- typical of naija politicians,because political office is their lifeline as otherwise they're jobless. Suntai has become a pawn in the vicious power struggle in Taraba.He must watch it as his condition may deteriorate rendering even incapable of stage- managing a video recording as he has just done (why didn't he just make a live broadcast?)

4 Likes

Re: Suntai, Deputy Claim Taraba Governorship Seat by bunmioguns(m): 11:26am On Aug 29, 2013
this drama is gonna be interesting.............

grin grin grin grin grin grin

https://www.nairaland.com/1395834/pic-week
Re: Suntai, Deputy Claim Taraba Governorship Seat by adextetoo(m): 11:27am On Aug 29, 2013
suntai and his family drama series.....off to bed
Re: Suntai, Deputy Claim Taraba Governorship Seat by Gabrielsylar(m): 11:27am On Aug 29, 2013
suntai for president

3 Likes

Re: Suntai, Deputy Claim Taraba Governorship Seat by Nobody: 11:28am On Aug 29, 2013
[size=30pt]Suntai go soon bite im deputy as the guy no wan kpamuuu[/size] grin

1 Like

Re: Suntai, Deputy Claim Taraba Governorship Seat by Chukwuemeka007(m): 11:28am On Aug 29, 2013
This is getting more intense and intresting by the day. Mr Suntai should responsibly await the state's house of assembly to give him the go-ahead to continue with his tenure.
Re: Suntai, Deputy Claim Taraba Governorship Seat by Clemzy16(m): 11:29am On Aug 29, 2013
The Deputy Governor is a devil. He has forgetten so soon that he was not put in that position legitimately. Last time i checked, he is 'ACTING' governor which means when the rightful person for the position comes he has to vacate. Now he is claiming the Boss. One thing he tends to forget is that with all these stunt that he had pulled the Governor is also going to dismiss him as Deputy when the National Assembly has presided over the issue. Which i'm very sure Governor Suntai will come out victorious.

™ƺƔcιεмεηт®

10 Likes

Re: Suntai, Deputy Claim Taraba Governorship Seat by Nobody: 11:29am On Aug 29, 2013
Why am I not surprised? undecided

1 Like

Re: Suntai, Deputy Claim Taraba Governorship Seat by homesteady(m): 11:29am On Aug 29, 2013
Na wa oh! This deputy governor is really desperate for power!!

4 Likes

Re: Suntai, Deputy Claim Taraba Governorship Seat by Meringe(m): 11:30am On Aug 29, 2013
They acting Governor should not drag power with suntai, he should act the victim here, so that he will not be seen as desperate. He should go on tutelage from GEJ autobiography, so that he will win at last.

5 Likes

Re: Suntai, Deputy Claim Taraba Governorship Seat by julioralph(m): 11:31am On Aug 29, 2013
If Suntai can prove that he's ok, then he should govern the state...
Otherwise the deputy should continue.
Besides, those 'political vultures' should keep out of Taraba.

2 Likes

Re: Suntai, Deputy Claim Taraba Governorship Seat by playcharles(m): 11:31am On Aug 29, 2013
governor seat sweet oooo, the guy shud b probe and we need EFCC and ICPC here...
Re: Suntai, Deputy Claim Taraba Governorship Seat by FilesUpdator(f): 11:32am On Aug 29, 2013
Hmm...
Garri price don increase?

Re: Suntai, Deputy Claim Taraba Governorship Seat by koolet: 11:32am On Aug 29, 2013
Maddness
Re: Suntai, Deputy Claim Taraba Governorship Seat by jtchukwu: 11:32am On Aug 29, 2013
the drama continues...
Re: Suntai, Deputy Claim Taraba Governorship Seat by Nobody: 11:33am On Aug 29, 2013
What is there problem for goodness sake! Because he had an accident makes him incapacitated? He is back and wants to be governor, let him be, if he die no be him and yaradua go go rub minds? If I am in his shoes, datz d first tin I would do (dissolve my cabinet) cos I av been away for a while. Time shall tell so let dem allow d man d opportunity to rule his remaining tenure. If not greed on d part of the deputy, while does he still wants to hang to power after acting for several months.

5 Likes

Re: Suntai, Deputy Claim Taraba Governorship Seat by Fiawest(m): 11:35am On Aug 29, 2013
Abali1: This film sweet die.... abeg who be actor and who be boss?
OMG!!!!actor and boss...pls hw old are u and what is d level of ur IQ?
Re: Suntai, Deputy Claim Taraba Governorship Seat by Richtalk: 11:35am On Aug 29, 2013
gistsky: SUNTAI has neva made any statement since he arrived. Blame it on suntai's wife n suntai's aides. Nigerian politicians re like soldier ants, They prefer dying in biting to leavin d power n live.

^^^ Are you not following news. Have you heard or seen that Suntai has made a state broadcast?

My worry with all this is the way some journalist or Nigerians report these things.They are never satisfy.

First they said he dead, they later saw his pictures being alive.

Sahara reporters then said he is brain dead, but he arrived the country safely and identified all those that welcomed him.

They said he should address the state , he as done that .

What else do they want? to step aside ? why?

The constitution was followed when he had an accident and the deputy governor was sworn in as acting governor.

what is difficult in following the constitution again now that he is back.

The Governor should do the honourable thing and revert to his position as deputy.

the governor doesn't need to be completely strong before he can govern the state, that's why we have the deputy and the executive council. Since he is stable enough to give instructions, he still remains the governor.

Being sick should never be seen as a crime, but i just wonder how some people think.

You became deputy governor and in one month you are acting governor, is that not enough?

12 Likes

Re: Suntai, Deputy Claim Taraba Governorship Seat by Okijajuju1(m): 11:35am On Aug 29, 2013
Okay!!

Cabinet Reshuffling - #Check!

Sacking Deputy Gov. - #Next.

Impeaching the Speaker of the House - #Coming Soon..

Operation Reclaim TARABA STATE is in motion.. #keepCalm..

SAI SUNTAI!!

3 Likes

Re: Suntai, Deputy Claim Taraba Governorship Seat by khaz(m): 11:35am On Aug 29, 2013
Naija, I hail o... If truly our leaders are serving us.... All diz wont b happening.... Coz no one would wanna die serving a master when U hav d alternative of leaving... Bt reverse is d case.. Well, I beseech him 2 leave power calmly 4 his own sake... Wish him sound health!!!! In shaa Allah
Re: Suntai, Deputy Claim Taraba Governorship Seat by chrisair101: 11:36am On Aug 29, 2013
power kills
power intoxicates
power divides.
Little wonder God never wanted giving a leader to his people.

1 Like

Re: Suntai, Deputy Claim Taraba Governorship Seat by ono(m): 11:36am On Aug 29, 2013
HNosegbe: Why am I not surprised? undecided

Like Tim Newmann said, ''it got to a point where nothing surprise you anymore in terms of corruption in Nigeria''...

3 Likes

Re: Suntai, Deputy Claim Taraba Governorship Seat by Vigoprince(m): 11:36am On Aug 29, 2013
Taraba state House of Assembly will need to approve governor's decision to resume official duties, until then the deputy governor is still in charge as Acting governor. Therefore, dissolution of state exco by Suntai is invalid
Re: Suntai, Deputy Claim Taraba Governorship Seat by bong4(m): 11:36am On Aug 29, 2013
Meringe: They acting Governor should not drag power with suntai, he should act the victim him so that he will not be seen as desperate. He should go on tutelage from GEJ autobiography, so that he will win at last.

You have said it all my brother. As much as i know that the governor is incapacitated, the deputy should bid his time and not be desperate. It shows that he and his family would have also clunged to power if he were the one involved in the accident.

He should learn a lesson from the Jonathan story but i know he is not Jonathan so he does not have Patience.

7 Likes

Re: Suntai, Deputy Claim Taraba Governorship Seat by Okijajuju1(m): 11:36am On Aug 29, 2013
Chukwuemeka007: This is getting more intense and intresting by the day. Mr Suntai should responsibly await the state's house of assembly to give him the go-ahead to continue with his tenure.

His fate is not in the hands of the House of Assembly...

#Go and study what the Law says..

1 Like

Re: Suntai, Deputy Claim Taraba Governorship Seat by Mitsurugi(m): 11:37am On Aug 29, 2013
^^ for the good of the people of Taraba and the integrity of his ailing boss, the deputy should fight!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Doctrine Of NECESSITY Will Be Adopted To Swear In WIKE As Governor / Will Atiku Still Be Travelling To The US By End Of November? / Lagos Announces Partial Closure Of Marine Beach For Repairs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.