Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,702 members, 7,802,090 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:55 AM

Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK - Education (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK (94981 Views)

List Of The Best & Most Affordable States In The Western Part Of Nigeria / Nigerian Girl Racially Abused In The UK For Her Struggle To Graduate(pics) / 15 Good Universities In Nigeria You Can Study Geology/geophysic Without Regret. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by kaydee10: 9:23pm On May 20, 2015
Hi Sagamite,

I really admire the work you're doing here. Please I really need urgent advice from you.

I'm going for my Masters, and I've gotten offers from both Loughborough University and University of Surrey to study Management related courses. However, I'm having problems with deciding which to go for.

Which of the two would you recommend in terms of strengths, strong links to industry, employment opportunities, and most importantly, overall ranking?

They both seem like fairly good uni's to me, and that's why its hard to make up my mind.

Also, what do you think about Henley? What would be it's position if compared to the universities above?

Thank you!
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 9:04am On May 28, 2015
kaydee10:
Hi Sagamite,

I really admire the work you're doing here. Please I really need urgent advice from you.

I'm going for my Masters, and I've gotten offers from both Loughborough University and University of Surrey to study Management related courses. However, I'm having problems with deciding which to go for.

Which of the two would you recommend in terms of strengths, strong links to industry, employment opportunities, and most importantly, overall ranking?

They both seem like fairly good uni's to me, and that's why its hard to make up my mind.

Also, what do you think about Henley? What would be it's position if compared to the universities above?

Thank you!

I really don't think there is any difference between them in terms of strong links to industry, employment opportunities, and rankings?

They would open the same doors so judge on location and finances as it pleases or is convenient for you.

Henley has a good MBA School for more experienced/middle aged students who want a MBA. Otherwise, it is in the same league as the other 2.

1 Like

Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by chilez(f): 10:38pm On Jun 04, 2015
Good Evening Sagamite,
I'm new on this forum, and so far my research I admire your input on naira land. I need an advice on what course is more industry relevant for my masters. I'm not all about making big bucks, for now I need to work on good skills and do an msc that will give me leverage in the Nigerian job market. I have a BSc in Computer Engineering and I need an advice BTW Msc Control engineering or MSc Engineering Management or Msc Network systems. I wud be grateful for it help.
Thank you Sir.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 7:43am On Jun 07, 2015
chilez:
Good Evening Sagamite,
I'm new on this forum, and so far my research I admire your input on naira land. I need an advice on what course is more industry relevant for my masters. I'm not all about making big bucks, for now I need to work on good skills and do an msc that will give me leverage in the Nigerian job market. I have a BSc in Computer Engineering and I need an advice BTW Msc Control engineering or MSc Engineering Management or Msc Network systems. I wud be grateful for it help.
Thank you Sir.

Hi,

All are relevant to industry. There is nothing like "which is more relevant?", you just have to make a selection based on your interests and capability in the three.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 2:38pm On Jun 23, 2015
The UK Guardian newspaper did an assessment of the educational background of those in the UK's "Who is Who" publication. That is, important VIPs, influencers and achievers that were still alive who are from the UK.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2011/may/20/whos-who-oxbridge-elitism

This can tell you:

- The university producing those who are influential in or are ruling over the country
- Those whose alumni have performed well
- Those universities that are top or used to be top unis

Here is how they ranked:

Rank. University (Number of alumni in Who is Who)

1. Cambridge (5985)
2. Oxford (5766)
3. Edinburgh (913)
4. LSE (742)
5. UCL (687)

6. Manchester (654)
7. Glasgow (621)
8. Bristol (617)
9. Birmingham (593)
10. London (564)
11. KCL (561)
12. Leeds (463)
13. Durham (404)
14. Liverpool (380)
15. Nottingham (337)
16. Imperial (321)
17. Sheffield (294)
18. St Andrews (286)
19. Queen's University Belfast (276)
20. Aberdeen (259)

The Oxbridge domination is apparent. Imperial is a small university, hence not many in alumnis to churn out in the list. That said, LSE is smaller than Imperial and still churns out one of the highest. This is an example of the reason why I placed LSE as more prestigious and only third to Oxbridge.

Apart from St Andrews and Aberdeen, all the universities in the top 20 are members of the Russell Group universities.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 10:37am On Jun 25, 2015
Another alternative (but crude) way to look at how successful alumni of a university has been is a simple check of the number of alumni they have with entries on wikipedia.

These shows both alumni that are dead and alive.

Rank. University (Number of alumni entries on Wikipedia)
1. Oxford (11679+)
2. Cambridge (9500+)
3. Edinburgh (2275)
4. KCL (1269)
5. LSE (1144)
6. UCL (1079)

7. Glasgow (839)
8. Durham (723)
9. Birmingham (604)
10. Aberdeen (507)
11. Manchester (496)
12. St Andrews (457)
13. Bristol (434)
14. East Anglia (441)
15. Leeds (381)
16. Imperial (376)
17. Queen's University Belfast (319)
18. Sussex (308)
19. Loughborough (294)
20. Liverpool (257)

Obviously this is crude and consideration should be given for:

Year of establishment - Older universities have an advantage of potentially more alumni entries.
Size - Larger universities have an advantage of potentially more entries as they have more alumni.
Relevance - Not every entry is because of positive/academic achievement, e.g. Oxford's spies or UCL's underwear bomber.
Entry Diligence - Some universities just have more contributors diligent enough to make entries for their alumni. Although this is more likely to have an impact outside the Top 20.

All said, this also gives a bit of an insight on how prestigious historically universities have been.

Taking all these into consideration, looking at an example, considering LSE is younger and far smaller institution than Edinburgh and KCL, its volume of entry being that close to theirs is very impressive and more significant.

1 Like

Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 10:54am On Jun 25, 2015
The leading US publisher of university rankings, US News, has come up with its own world university rankings.

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/rankings?int=9cf408

Its methodology appears to be virtually 100% based on research power. It looks at research reputation, citations, publications, collaboration and students (i.e. PhD students).

Here is how the UK Universities ranked.

UK Top 10 (Global rank)
1. Oxford (5)
2. Cambridge (6)
3. Imperial (12)
4. UCL (21)
5. Edinburgh (40)
6. Manchester (49)
7. KCL (61)
8. Bristol (82)
9. Glasgow (112)
10. Birmingham (121)

As usual, the Golden Triangle plus Edinburgh, Manchester and Bristol are leaders in the global ranking.

Not much different from the 3 most notable global university rankings.

https://www.nairaland.com/141689/rough-guide-best-most-reputable/9#19280366
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 9:40am On Jul 08, 2015
Analysing Google searches, the Golden Triangle plus Edinburgh top the searches by US students looking to study abroad.

https://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/news/london-tops-list-for-us-students-online-searches/2018498.article

UK Top 10
1. Oxford
2. Cambridge
3. KCL
4. UCL
5. LSE
6. Edinburgh
7. Imperial

8. University of the Arts London
9. Glasgow
10. Durham

This is not surprising considering these are the universities the best of the best US students want to and normally choose to attend.

https://www.nairaland.com/141689/rough-guide-best-most-reputable/9#13802115

The searches also show the UK and Australia are the top 2 destinations US people look to for education.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 11:35am On Jul 25, 2015
The time I did the league table was in 2008 using my prescience and acute observations before many institutions with the facilities and resources to conduct surveys and detailed analysis on UK universities' reputation started providing researched information.

By and large I appear to have been reasonably right.

But based on the new information I have (and which I have presented on many subsequent pages on this thread) and also changes that have occurred in university activities over the years (afterall, it is a "league" table), I would reconfigure the table for reputation today as follows:

"Most Prestigious universities in the UK"

First Division
1) Cambridge
2) Oxford
3) LSE
4) Imperial
5) UCL
6) Edinburgh
7) KCL
8.) Bristol
9) Durham
10) Warwick
11) St Andrews
12) Manchester
13) Glasgow
14) Bath
15) Nottingham
16) Exeter
17) York
18) Sheffield
19) Birmingham
20) Leeds
21) Southampton
22) Cardiff
23) Lancaster
24) QMW
25) SOAS
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by nanaba777: 9:47am On Jul 31, 2015
Thanks for this list. Will peer into it and see
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by berildan(m): 11:26am On Jul 31, 2015
Sagamite how is Durham perceived by employers in Nigeria? Compared to it's high reputation in the UK very few Nigerians seem to have heard of the school undecided
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 1:50am On Aug 02, 2015
berildan:
Sagamite how is Durham perceived by employers in Nigeria? Compared to it's high reputation in the UK very few Nigerians seem to have heard of the school undecided

I doubt it is highly percieved as it is hardly known outside the UK.

Unless the employment decision makers (HR and/or Hiring Manager) studied in the UK, they are unlikely to know if Durham is that prestigious. And a smaller proportion of top positions in Nigerian companies are dominated by people that studied abroad in their youth. Although that might change in the next 10-15 years. The corporate world there at the moment is still mainly ruled by Unilag, OAU, UI and some other Federal universities graduates.

Durham's prestige is highly concentrated in the UK as it really is based on its request for high grades and its pompous culture (it has the same college system as Oxbridge), hence it attracts many upper-class kids who were not successful in getting into Oxbridge.

It really does not have that strong research capability for it to get international clout and I don't see that changing anytime soon. A university tends to need research-based prestige to gain international prestige. It is not like Imperial, which since the 90s has risen meteorically as it really built a strong research capability. If you go above this post on this thread, you will see that Imperial does not really have that strong an alumni list that befits its massive profile, it is because its profile rise is really recent.

I dare say, if one wants to work outside the UK (like in Nigeria) and you can't get into the Top 7 (Golden Triangle plus Edinburgh), then you are better off going to a major city university like Manchester, Birmingham, Nottingham, Glasgow, Sheffield, Leeds, Liverpool, Cardiff etc than going to Durham because people are more likely to be aware of those names. If not by virtue of their major city hub status, it will be by virtue of their football teams. That might be changing as Durham rides high on the international league tables.

Many people abroad that want to find out how good a university is would tend to look at the international league tables. Durham does not do as well in these league tables as some of these big city universities (e.g. Manchester and Bristol).

So, I am afraid not many would know how prestigious Durham is in Nigeria but the few that know would give it the props it deserves.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Nobody: 7:54am On Aug 02, 2015
Sagamite wonder if you still come on nairaland.I wanted to ask about how good is university of east anglia.seems nigerians hardly go there.secondly,between university of est anglia and university of aberdeen which one is better?will be grateful if you can respond thanks
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 10:27am On Aug 02, 2015
crazydove:
Sagamite wonder if you still come on nairaland.I wanted to ask about how good is university of east anglia.seems nigerians hardly go there.secondly,between university of est anglia and university of aberdeen which one is better?will be grateful if you can respond thanks

East Anglia is a good university.

It is not seen as an elite university but it is good. Aberdeen is roughly on par with it, at best, slightly better tha East Anglia. Hardly much difference between them.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 12:01pm On Aug 16, 2015
To those that say such nonsense as "The university you attend does not matter", research done shows that a select group of universities (especially Oxford and Cambridge) occupy all the top positions in the UK.

Despite only roughly 1% of UK adults attended Oxbridge and only 11% of UK adults attended the 24 universities (including Oxbridge) that make up the Russell Group, these group of universities dominate in top positions in all sphere of public and private life. More so in public.

The small percentage of those going to these universities hold a higher percentage of top roles.

1% of attended Oxbridge and 11% of attended Russell Group universities.

Politics
Cabinet Ministers
59% attended Oxbridge; 77% attended Russell Group universities.

House of Lords
38% attended Oxbridge; 61% attended Russell Group universities.

Members of Parliament
24% attended Oxbridge; 54% attended Russell Group universities.

CEO of Local Government
9% attended Oxbridge; 40% attended Russell Group universities.

Chair of Local Government
8% attended Oxbridge; 28% attended Russell Group universities.

Civil Service
Senior Judges
75% attended Oxbridge; 94% attended Russell Group universities.

Civil Service Permanent Secretaries
57% attended Oxbridge; 87% attended Russell Group universities.

Diplomats
50% attended Oxbridge; 84% attended Russell Group universities.

Chair of Public Bodies
44% attended Oxbridge; 73% attended Russell Group universities.

CEO of Public Bodies
26% attended Oxbridge; 58% attended Russell Group universities.

University Vice Chancellors
14% attended Oxbridge; 53% attended Russell Group universities.

Head of Regional Police Forces
6% attended Oxbridge; 34% attended Russell Group universities.

Press
Media Professionals (all newspaper editors, columnists and broadcasters)
45% attended Oxbridge; 90% attended Russell Group universities.

Broadsheet [Serious Newspapers] Columnists
57% attended Oxbridge; 78% attended Russell Group universities.

BBC Executives (Dominant TV house)
33% attended Oxbridge; 62% attended Russell Group universities.

Tabloid [Idiotic Newspapers] Columnists
25% attended Oxbridge; 49% attended Russell Group universities.

Private Sector/Commercial
CEOs in the Top 350 companies
18% attended Oxbridge; 43% attended Russell Group universities.

Richest People Based in the UK
12% attended Oxbridge; 28% attended Russell Group universities.

Richest 100 Entertainers (TV, Music & Film) born in the UK
11% attended Oxbridge; 31% attended Russell Group universities.

The more high profile the role is, the higher percentage these top universities graduates take.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-28953881
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by iamwrong(m): 8:39pm On Oct 31, 2015
@Sagamite, nice tips you have given up there. Please i want to ask about securing admission to an ivy league school either in UK or US, is it possible for me to use My ACCA 'Oxford brookes' Bsc in applied accounting (will be rounding up middle of next year with a 1st class honours) from UK rather than my naija uni result to apply most especially to US ivy leagues?
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by ricodwi: 6:05pm On Nov 01, 2015
I've been offered to study Master in Durham (Global Politics) and Birmingham (Intn'l Development). Durham based at SGIA (some notable international relations professor such as David Held, James Piscatori) while Brum at IDD (QS top 30 in the world for development studies). How do you perceive my choice (reputation, employment prospect etc) above? As I am aware that I will be back to my country soon after finishing the degree. I'm from Asia anyway smiley smiley
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 7:00pm On Nov 06, 2015
iamwrong:
@Sagamite, nice tips you have given up there. Please i want to ask about securing admission to an ivy league school either in UK or US, is it possible for me to use My ACCA 'Oxford brookes' Bsc in applied accounting (will be rounding up middle of next year with a 1st class honours) from UK rather than my naija uni result to apply most especially to US ivy leagues?

If you get a 1st class, then I don't think you will have too much of a problem in the UK if you can pay the fees.

The reality is that getting into the top universities at postgrad is much easier than at undergrad because there is just less competition for places.

If one has a top grade (especially from a first world university) and can afford to pay, it is much easier and one can easily enter any of the top 15 universities bar Oxbridge as long as the application is good.

Even a 1st from top Third World/Nigerian universities like OAU, UI, Unilag, ABU etc would open shitloads of doors at postgrad as long as you can pay the fees.

UK universities are public universities and are keen on the funds from foreign fees and even local fees, so it is quite easy at postgrad.

As for America, the top universities really do not need the money considering the are mostly private universities and their huge billion dollars endowments. So I can't say it would be easy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 7:13pm On Nov 06, 2015
ricodwi:
I've been offered to study Master in Durham (Global Politics) and Birmingham (Intn'l Development). Durham based at SGIA (some notable international relations professor such as David Held, James Piscatori) while Brum at IDD (QS top 30 in the world for development studies). How do you perceive my choice (reputation, employment prospect etc) above? As I am aware that I will be back to my country soon after finishing the degree. I'm from Asia anyway smiley smiley

Hi mate,

Good choices but I will say it has to be Durham.

Durham is as good as Birmingham in this area (according to the 2014 REF assessment), only thing there is that Birmingham is likely to have a bigger department.

Durham also has a longer history, superior current reputation and employment prospects (generally, not necessarily in the field). It even has a better reputation in Asia.

Furthermore, considering Durham's medium size and financial strength, I think Durham can maintain this superiority on the long run.

Birmingham is not a bad option, but I just think Durham is a better option.

The only reason I would pick Birmingham over Durham is if I prefer a city life to a village/Univerity-campus-only life.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 1:11pm On Nov 22, 2015
"Top 20 UK universities in the eyes of employers 2015"

As selected by Global Employers including the ones in the UK
https://www.timeshighereducation.com/carousels/global-employability-university-ranking-2015-results
1) Cambridge
2) Oxford
3) Imperial
4) Edinburgh

5) Manchester
6) UCL
7) KCL
8.) LSE

9) Bristol
10) Nottingham
11) Birmingham

As selected by UK Employers only
https://www.timeshighereducation.com/student/news/best-uk-universities-chosen-major-employers
1) Oxford
2) Cambridge
3) Imperial

3) Manchester
5) KCL
6) LSE

7) St Andrews
8.) UCL
9) Bristol
10) Edinburgh
11) Nottingham
12) Leeds
12) Liverpool
14) Durham
14) York
16) QUB
17) Glasgow
18) Loughborough
19) Birmingham
20) City and Warwick

In the original list, you will see that some business schools like the ones of Manchester and Warwick are ranked separately. This is because the employers stated they specifically prefer to recruit from those Schools/Department, not the whole university. That is why the coordinators included these as separate entries.

The survey states UK employers put more of an emphasis on grades, professional experience and degree subject than employers in Europe or multinational recruiters worldwide.

And these are what UK recruiters evaluate Universities on compared to non-UK employers

As I have always said, and the reason why I created this thread, reputation is more important than rankings when it comes to employers.

There is a correlation between reputation and rankings, but there is still a difference. Most of the data I have seen shows the Golden Triangle plus Edinburgh have the best reputation and even links with companies, as well as the best alumni. Hence why I put them at the top of my league table.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by ewa20buredi100: 8:59pm On Nov 23, 2015
Sagamite:

East Anglia is a good university.

It is not seen as an elite university but it is good. Aberdeen is roughly on par with it, at best, slightly better tha East Anglia. Hardly much difference between them.
Bro Sagamite, thanks a lot. I just stumbled on this thread, and it has been interesting reading along.

But i want to ask just 2 questions;
1) Oxford and Cambridge; are they both good for studying Engineering courses, because most of the times i do hear of Imperial and UCL for engineering courses?

What are the chances of a 2.2 graduate with a PgD (from a Nigerian University) of gaining a PG admission to study Engineering (chemical eng) in OX/Cambridge)?

2) Are engineering courses in UK universities as good and of quality as the ones in USA?

Thanks
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 10:25pm On Nov 23, 2015
ewa20buredi100:

Bro Sagamite, thanks a lot. I just stumbled on this thread, and it has been interesting reading along.

But i want to ask just 2 questions;
1) Oxford and Cambridge; are they both good for studying Engineering courses, because most of the times i do hear of Imperial and UCL for engineering courses?

Oxford and Cambridge are normally good, if not even the best, for anything they offer, and they do offer engineering.

For Engineering, Cambridge might have an edge over Oxford as it is the more quantitative-inclined university (Technology, Engineering etc) of the 2. Oxford is more qualititative-inclined university (Arts, Humanities etc).

Imperial is trying to compete in their bracket and is doing quite well at competing with them but it just cannot match their reputation anytime soon. If one was to choose between Oxbridge or Imperial, it makes no sense picking Imperial. Also Imperial has a larger breadth of engineering courses and department size than both Oxford and Cambridge.

UCL is a notch below Imperial for Engineering. UCL is jack of all trades universities, expert in many, but not leader in most.

ewa20buredi100:

What are the chances of a 2.2 graduate with a PgD (from a Nigerian University) of gaining a PG admission to study Engineering (chemical eng) in OX/Cambridge)?

I dare say zero to none.

Too competitive. The best in the world (not just in the UK) are applying to take these places.

ewa20buredi100:

2) Are engineering courses in UK universities as good and of quality as the ones in USA?

Thanks

For Engineering, apart from Oxbridge and maybe Imperial, No.

The US would have up to 20 Universities that can compete at their level for PG. Even Georgia Tech is generally seen as on par with Imperial for engineering at PG level. At undergrad, it cannot compete with Imperial.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by ewa20buredi100: 6:44am On Nov 24, 2015
Sagamite:

Oxford and Cambridge are normally good, if not even the best, for anything they offer, and they do offer engineering.

For Engineering, Cambridge might have an edge over Oxford as it is the more quantitative-inclined university (Technology, Engineering etc) of the 2. Oxford is more qualititative-inclined university (Arts, Humanities etc).

Imperial is trying to compete in their bracket and is doing quite well at competing with them but it just cannot match their reputation anytime soon. If one was to choose between Oxbridge or Imperial, it makes no sense picking Imperial. Also Imperial has a larger breadth of engineering courses and department size than both Oxford and Cambridge.

UCL is a notch below Imperial for Engineering. UCL is jack of all trades universities, expert in many, but not leader in most.

I dare say zero to none.

Too competitive. The best in the world (not just in the UK) are applying to take these places.

For Engineering, apart from Oxbridge and maybe Imperial, No.

The US would have up to 20 Universities that can compete at their level for PG. Even Georgia Tech is generally seen as on par with Imperial for engineering at PG level. At undergrad, it cannot compete with Imperial.

Thanks.

Mehn, graduating with a 2.2 limits one's dream.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 12:49pm On Nov 25, 2015
ewa20buredi100:

Thanks.

Mehn, graduating with a 2.2 limits one's dream.

There are many other good universities that would accept a 2.2 for postgrad studies.

Not going to Oxbridge is not the end of the world.

1 Like

Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by ewa20buredi100: 6:19pm On Nov 25, 2015
Sagamite:

There are many other good universities that would accept a 2.2 for postgrad studies.

Not going to Oxbridge is not the end of the world.

please, their names sagamite...and entry requirements for Nigerians.

Thank you
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 11:38am On Nov 27, 2015
ewa20buredi100:

please, their names sagamite...and entry requirements for Nigerians.

Thank you

With 2.2, you can enter any university, bar the top 4 in my list and certain elite courses in other universities, in the UK to do a masters as long as you can pay and make a good application.

Imperial and LSE can afford to be picky purely because they are small and highly reputable, so very few bums to fill and highly competitive.

For the other top 20 universities, you will only have a chance with a good application and ability to pay. They would be hard to get into, but not impossible. Any weakness in your application and communications, and it might be cased closed. Also, they definitely would not take a 2.2 from the third world in any of their flagship courses.

Many of the universities outside my 2-tier league tables would probably take a 2.2.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by ewa20buredi100: 2:18pm On Nov 29, 2015
Sagamite:

With 2.2, you can enter any university, bar the top 4 in my list and certain elite courses in other universities, in the UK to do a masters as long as you can pay and make a good application.

Imperial and LSE can afford to be picky purely because they are small and highly reputable, so very few bums to fill and highly competitive.

For the other top 20 universities, you will only have a chance with a good application and ability to pay. They would be hard to get into, but not impossible. Any weakness in your application and communications, and it might be cased closed. Also, they definitely would not take a 2.2 from the third world in any of their flagship courses.

Many of the universities outside my 2-tier league tables would probably take a 2.2.

Thank you
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by chopperstraw: 3:50am On Dec 27, 2015
Sagamite:
Another alternative (but crude) way to look at how successful alumni of a university has been is a simple check of the number of alumni they have with entries on wikipedia.

These shows both alumni that are dead and alive.

1. Oxford (11679+)
2. Cambridge (9500+)
3. Edinburgh (2275)
4. KCL (1269)
5. LSE (1144)
6. UCL (1079)

7. Glasgow (839)
8. Durham (723)
9. Birmingham (604)
10. Aberdeen (507)
11. Manchester (496)
12. St Andrews (457)
13. Bristol (434)
14. East Anglia (441)
15. Leeds (381)
16. Imperial (376)
17. Queen's University Belfast (319)
18. Sussex (308)
19. Loughborough (294)
20. Liverpool (257)

Obviously this is crude and consideration should be given for:

Year of establishment - Older universities have an advantage of potentially more alumni entries.
Size - Larger universities have an advantage of potentially more entries as they have more alumni.
Relevance - Not every entry is because of positive/academic achievement, e.g. Oxford's spies or UCL's underwear bomber.
Entry Diligence - Some universities just have more contributors diligent enough to make entries for their alumni. Although this is more likely to have an impact outside the Top 20.

All said, this also gives a bit of an insight on how prestigious historically universities have been.

Taking all these into consideration, looking at an example, considering LSE is younger and far smaller institution than Edinburgh and KCL, its volume of entry being that close to theirs is very impressive and more significant.

Hey Sagamite, where are your numbers from? I looked at the wikipedia pages and the numbers are different (and are off by quite a lot for some of them).
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 12:46pm On Dec 27, 2015
chopperstraw:

Hey Sagamite, where are your numbers from? I looked at the wikipedia pages and the numbers are different (and are off by quite a lot for some of them).

Here, mate:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Alumni_by_university_or_college_in_England
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Alumni_by_university_or_college_in_London
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Alumni_by_university_or_college_in_Scotland
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Alumni_by_university_or_college_in_Wales
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Alumni_by_university_or_college_in_Northern_Ireland

For Oxbridge, remember you will also have to add the alumni list from the individual colleges to the ones entered for the university as a whole:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Alumni_of_the_University_of_Oxford_by_college
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Alumni_of_the_University_of_Cambridge_by_college

The numbers are different because people keep on adding profiles everyday.

Even the numbers I put in, I gathered a few months before I could be bothered to put them up. I could not be bothered to update before I put them up because I knew the numbers would change the next few days but I also knew the changes are unlikely to change the positions.

It is an idea of the positions that mattered to my point, not the exact numbers of alumni.

Looking at current figures (without me adjusting the previous ranks):

1. Oxford (11679+)
2. Cambridge (9500+)
3. Edinburgh (2762)
4. KCL (1403)
5. LSE (1318)
6. UCL (1182)

7. Glasgow (947)
8. Durham (820)
9. Birmingham (761)
10. Aberdeen (558)
11. Manchester (567)
12. St Andrews (576)
13. Bristol (491)
14. East Anglia (485)
15. Leeds (443)
16. Imperial (416)
17. Queen's University Belfast (343)
18. Sussex (352)
19. Loughborough (322)
=20. Liverpool (298)
=20. Nottingham (298)

If you were to change the rank based on recent entries, St Andrews would move up to 10th. Aberdeen down to 12th.

Queen's University Belfast will interchange with Sussex at 17th and 18th.

And Nottingham will join the Top 20 by being joint 20th position with Liverpool.

Basically, not drastic changes from what I put up.

As I said in the post you quoted: "...[new entries] is more likely to have an impact [i.e. positional changes] outside the Top 20."
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by spiritmode: 9:21pm On Jan 28, 2016
Hi Sagamite!! You are doing a nice job I must confess. Good one bruv... If I may ask, am planning to apply for a full tuition fee scholarship for Africans at Loughborough University which is normally for "first class graduate" but I finished with a second class upper. What are my chances of obtaining the scholarship? Should I go ahead with the application?
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 3:27pm On Feb 24, 2016
spiritmode:
Hi Sagamite!! You are doing a nice job I must confess. Good one bruv... If I may ask, am planning to apply for a full tuition fee scholarship for Africans at Loughborough University which is normally for "first class graduate" but I finished with a second class upper. What are my chances of obtaining the scholarship? Should I go ahead with the application?

Definitely go ahead.

They can only say 'No'.

If they state it is only for 1st class students, your chances are extremely slim. But maybe they might have another scholarship programme that is not for 1st class students only they might recommend to you.
Re: Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK by Sagamite(m): 7:01pm On Feb 24, 2016
layzie:
@ sagamite.

Been looking at London school of business and finance (for my Msc finance and risk mgt).
Are they not in your rating?
How do u see the school generally? What other schools do u suggest for the course?
How about university of aberdeen rating in Msc international business and finance?

Sagamite:

London school of business and finance? I have never heard of it. I have never seen any of their grads ANYWHERE.

I can guarantee you without any shred of doubt that if you go there and want to be employed in the UK in any good role, then you are wasting your money, except serving burgers in McDonalds is a good role to you.

If you can get into Aberdeen, then don't hesitate when comparing to London school of business and finance.

In regards to rating, the overall rating of Aberdeen is more relevant than the individual course rating in this case as Aberdeen is not in the Top 15 for business courses.

I hope you listened to my advice.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35472768

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Unilag 2012/2013 Post UTME/Admissions (Part II) / Best Polytechnic In Nigeria / Lady Expelled From Covenant University In 300L, Becomes Best Graduating Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.