Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,869 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:07 AM

Custom Officers & Smugglers Fighting At Seme Border? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Custom Officers & Smugglers Fighting At Seme Border? (35397 Views)

Custom Officers Kill Girl In Sango Ota, Ogun State(Graphic Photos) / Fighting At Barnawa Area In Kaduna / Bomb Found At Seme Border (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Custom Officers & Smugglers Fighting At Seme Border? by naptu2: 12:16am On Aug 30, 2013
[size=14pt]Six feared killed as Customs, smugglers clash[/size]

*Police arrest seven

At least four Customs officers and two smugglers were feared to have been killed after a bloody clash at the Badagry area of Lagos State yesterday.

But a villager at the Badagry area, where the gun battle took place, claimed that the battle was between members of the village and smugglers on one hand and Customs officers on the other side.

The villager, who described the gun duel as the mother of all battles, further claimed that those killed from all factions, numbered close to 13.

He said: “It was like a battle field. 13 people were killed in all.  Five Customs officer, eight villagers and one smuggler.”

It was gathered that trouble started some Customs officers, allegedly on a reprisal attack, stormed the village, identified as Oglombo Village.

There the officers, who were determined to impound a smuggler’s vehicle, opened fire and killed the man.

The villager further explained: “The man they killed was known by us all as a smuggler. We called him Saturday. The Customs men followed him into the village and killed him. It was like they had had a battle with him before he ran into the village, but they followed him. People saw the officers, arguing with Saturday and the next thing, bang! One of them shot him!”

The villagers, who had witnessed the killing of Saturday, raised the alarm, attracting attention of other villagers. Soon, there was a mob, which embarked on a protest. Many of them claimed that the Customs officers were fond of shooting and killing at will. The mob went berserks, attacking and killing any Customs officer they came across.

The resident stated that the villagers had been looking for an opportunity to clash with the customs officers, who allegedly killed a resident of the village, two weeks ago. Two weeks ago, Customs officers were said to have killed one of the youths of the village, while he was in a car with his two friends.  

It was also learnt that the angry mob made a beeline for Customs officers building and set fire on an officer’s vehicle, before setting bonfires at the centre of the road.

Some soldiers, Customs men and policemen attached to the Seme Divison, returned to the scene and fired shots to disperse the mob.

There were clouds of flames all over Seme resulting from sporadic shootings by the Customs, Army and mobile Policemen as if we are in a war situation.

According to information, the smuggler, Mr. Satide Ranti Ayeola (Saturday) was shot dead in front of his family house at Ashipa village.

The Customs check point at Ashipa was attacked and one senior customs officer was killed and his vehicle set ablaze and another escaped with serious machete cuts. The check point was also raized down together with a Toyota Hilux pick - up belonging to the Customs. The Seme Customs Command under Comptroller Othman Abdu Saleh had to seek the intervention of the Army and mobile Policemen to quell the violence and the situation got messier as another youth was also fell by stray bullets.

The Aholu of Kwemeland, Oba (Dr.) Sejiro Olalekan James Ogungbe (JP) was on stand to address the youths who were visibly angry. The Oba appealed for calm and promised to finding lasting solution to the strained relationship between Seme community and security agents.

Director, Lagos State Fire Service, Razaq Fadipe, explained that his men attempted to put out the fire but they had to retreat because of the sporadic gunshots in the area.

Customs Public Relations Officer, Seme Command, Ernest Olota, said that it was only one Customs officer that was killed.  According to him, the officer was killed while on his way to attend a meeting at the command.

The statement reads thus:  “We announce the gruesome killing of one of our Senior Officers by some smugglers in the Ashipa area of Seme on around 9.50am on Thursday. The deceased officer, while in his official uniform, unarmed, and driving to the command’s headquarters for a routine meeting, was accosted by a mob who forced him out of his vehicle.  Led by an identified chief of the community, the officer was murdered in cold blood and his vehicle set ablaze.”

The customs spokesman said efforts were on to apprehend the culprits adding that customs had achieved many feats this year alone.

He said NCS operatives, due to their uncompromising stance against smuggling and protecting the nation's economy, had come under series of attacks by smugglers and some unpatriotic elements who see smuggling as their right.

“Customs Area Controller of Seme Border, Othman Abdu Saleh, has in collaboration with sister government agencies including the police, commenced moves to bring the perpetrators of the heinous crime to book. The Controller posits that this unfortunate incident will not deter operatives of the command under his watch from carrying out their lawful duties.

''This is indeed a sad day for us here in this command, but let it me emphasised that we are not relenting in the discharge of our duty as we will not allow the darkness of criminality to dampen the light of our service to Nigeria.”

Police spokesperson, Ngozi Braide, however explained that trouble broke out after the Customs officers, who were trying to stop a smuggled van, opened fire and a stray bullet got the deceased. She also said that only one Customs officer was killed by the angry mob, in the ensuing mayhem, adding that seven people had been arrested by the police.
Re: Custom Officers & Smugglers Fighting At Seme Border? by eddyslim(m): 12:19am On Aug 30, 2013
RIP to the dead, we really need peace in this we country..
Re: Custom Officers & Smugglers Fighting At Seme Border? by gebest: 12:20am On Aug 30, 2013
Who gave those smugglers guns?
Re: Custom Officers & Smugglers Fighting At Seme Border? by blackmale500: 12:20am On Aug 30, 2013
idupaul: I am amazed that people could make sense out of what the OP wrote .. Please what is firewar ? Please what doe he mean by 50 custom .. Abeg I am not as smart as U guys so please help me decipher
i dont know where they got FIREWAR from......the actual name is FAYAWO in yoruba word to my understanding , and it means pple tht smuggle cars through border illegally.....

3 Likes

Re: Custom Officers & Smugglers Fighting At Seme Border? by Nobody: 12:21am On Aug 30, 2013
So,so patentic news,..please my fellow Nation let us all do things just according laws of the land,.. Killing is not an can never be the option,.... May all the death rest in perfect peace through Jesus christ our savour Amen..
Re: Custom Officers & Smugglers Fighting At Seme Border? by kinsab(f): 12:23am On Aug 30, 2013
Why must custom officers agree to shut face to face with them? are they trained soljars or did they think a smugler have time to waste custom officers are also smugglers I see the smugglers don't agree with the amount charged by the custom officers, then na war follows ni.
Re: Custom Officers & Smugglers Fighting At Seme Border? by Lyth: 12:25am On Aug 30, 2013
naptu2: BREAKING NEWS: Bloody clash in Seme border; Many feared dead.

There is violent clash between the men of Nigeria Custom officers and the villager of Seme in Badagry, a border town between Nigeria and Benin Republic.

An impeccable sources informed Osun Defender that the violence may not be unconnected with the lingering crisis between men of the Nigeria Customs Service and some members of the community. The Witnesses said security officials have been drafted to the scene to avert further escalation of the crisis which has some villagers and members of the Nigeria Customs feared dead.

details soon

http://www.osundefender.org/?p=118669

Now this is news ...easily understood n source quoted. Naptu never disappoints.

3 Likes

Re: Custom Officers & Smugglers Fighting At Seme Border? by DonaldGenes(m): 12:27am On Aug 30, 2013
Reuben.Abati:
Something tells me this is a lie
_then any evidence to gainsay his claim? if not stay put___
Re: Custom Officers & Smugglers Fighting At Seme Border? by kinsab(f): 12:27am On Aug 30, 2013
ge best: Who gave those smugglers guns?

The custom officers @ the top

1 Like

Re: Custom Officers & Smugglers Fighting At Seme Border? by naptu2: 12:29am On Aug 30, 2013
Lyth:

Now this is news ...easily understood n source quoted. Naptu never disappoints.

Thanks.
Re: Custom Officers & Smugglers Fighting At Seme Border? by olusola200: 12:35am On Aug 30, 2013
Good for them. Thief And thief
Re: Custom Officers & Smugglers Fighting At Seme Border? by Nobody: 12:44am On Aug 30, 2013
nacosprof: So,so patentic news,..please my fellow Nation let us all do things just according laws of the land,.. Killing is not an can never be the option,.... May all the death rest in perfect peace through Jesus christ our savour Amen..
Eeeh!
Your fellow NATION? Ino follow oo!

BTW, the custom officials that started the mayhem may have ran while their innocent colleagues bore the brunt. shm

1 Like

Re: Custom Officers & Smugglers Fighting At Seme Border? by Nobody: 12:46am On Aug 30, 2013
kinsab: Why must custom officers agree to shut face to face with them? are they trained soljars or did they think a smugler have time to waste custom officers are also smugglers I see the smugglers don't agree with the amount charged by the custom officers, then na war follows ni.
Exactly my thought!
The nitty gritty of the matter shall be known soon enough.
Re: Custom Officers & Smugglers Fighting At Seme Border? by Revolva(m): 12:54am On Aug 30, 2013
WELL cutoms deserve it..because they are way too wicked..around the border..they are very gressy set of folks...if dem like make dem break their head...i dont care

1 Like

Re: Custom Officers & Smugglers Fighting At Seme Border? by Ediss(m): 1:04am On Aug 30, 2013
God help our officers oooOh, Jesus! Hmmmmmmm too too bad angry
Re: Custom Officers & Smugglers Fighting At Seme Border? by Nobody: 1:13am On Aug 30, 2013

Ur fada gaave them the guns
Re: Custom Officers & Smugglers Fighting At Seme Border? by Ediss(m): 2:18am On Aug 30, 2013
sadGod help our officers oooOh, Jesus! Hmmmmmmm too too bad angry
Re: Custom Officers & Smugglers Fighting At Seme Border? by Anuoluwap(m): 2:29am On Aug 30, 2013
Moderators this topic should hit front page
www.nairaland.com/1417909/lagos-ranked-4th-world-worst
Re: Custom Officers & Smugglers Fighting At Seme Border? by Freewilly(f): 2:35am On Aug 30, 2013
Why are yorubas so violent.
Re: Custom Officers & Smugglers Fighting At Seme Border? by Nobody: 2:46am On Aug 30, 2013
All paramilitaries in Nigeria are somehow, here them all talking tough! Its obvious some of the villagers may be smuglers, but if customs are sincere and methodical in their work, then there woudn't have be any war. Most if not all of us here kno dat what actually brought all this is some negotiation/barganing gone bad!
Re: Custom Officers & Smugglers Fighting At Seme Border? by omoadeleye(m): 3:12am On Aug 30, 2013
Shey dat man in the pics av died like dat niyen?? sad
Re: Custom Officers & Smugglers Fighting At Seme Border? by babaowo: 3:12am On Aug 30, 2013
... boko haram....
Re: Custom Officers & Smugglers Fighting At Seme Border? by Osama10(m): 3:33am On Aug 30, 2013
These deaths boils down to greed and corruption.

"Smugglers offered a certain amount to customs officers but refuses because its too small, the next thing they call Oga at the Top, Oga at the Top says impound the goods & smugglers, the smugglers resist the customs officers kasala burst shot me I shot you".

Hopeless country.
Re: Custom Officers & Smugglers Fighting At Seme Border? by born2boink(m): 3:40am On Aug 30, 2013
R.I.P to the dead and struggles continue for living soul. Me just dey wake see say some people don die. I thank God for today anyway even if I don't go to church. Seme boarder, custom office, smugglers and villagers. Make I go piss before I recomment but don mark the point down, I hope say boko haram never enter lagos before I run go ekiti
Re: Custom Officers & Smugglers Fighting At Seme Border? by Kirinwa: 4:43am On Aug 30, 2013
berem: eheeee!! i just called someone and she said the situation has calmed down at Agbara. where exactly is still hot?

This kind of person makes me annoyed!As in are you trying to tell us you have a phone with some credit.The guy invited you to check things out yourself.You are telling us you called possibly from the comfort of your bedroom.
Do yourself a favour and SHUT UP!

1 Like

Re: Custom Officers & Smugglers Fighting At Seme Border? by visionsen(m): 4:48am On Aug 30, 2013
Wonders shall never end.
Re: Custom Officers & Smugglers Fighting At Seme Border? by Licensed2Kill(m): 5:36am On Aug 30, 2013
Mek govt do quick give dos villagers immunity, send dem abroad and start givin dem huge salaries nah. . .dey have earned it
Re: Custom Officers & Smugglers Fighting At Seme Border? by odegood: 5:37am On Aug 30, 2013
End time things, God!
Re: Custom Officers & Smugglers Fighting At Seme Border? by Exponental(m): 5:40am On Aug 30, 2013
Im still looking for a uniform job shaa.
Re: Custom Officers & Smugglers Fighting At Seme Border? by frenddy6(m): 5:54am On Aug 30, 2013
Abbey2sam:

Who da hell are you to tell d mod where to put this post?
instead of u 2 help inform odas u are hia questionin sumbdys own opinion. U sound like ass!
Re: Custom Officers & Smugglers Fighting At Seme Border? by bobokelly(m): 6:00am On Aug 30, 2013
What realy caused the conflicts?.
Re: Custom Officers & Smugglers Fighting At Seme Border? by 3ace(m): 6:02am On Aug 30, 2013
This report is confusing. Who dey fight Customs? Shey na Seme villagers, abi na smugglers? If na smugglers, we know wetin cause am but if na villagers, wetin fit cause am?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ortom Gives Condition To Forgive Oshiomhole / Go To The Field - Buhari Tells APC Presidential Aspirants / Maikanti Baru Visits Aso Rock

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.