Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,765 members, 7,798,555 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:44 AM

Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. (17589 Views)

Earth Will Experience 15 Days Of Complete Darkness In November 2015?-NASA / Voting Ends As Counting Starts In Imo / My Endorsement Of Jonathan In November Was A 'Spiritual Drama' - Rev Fr Mbaka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by plaindealer: 4:22am On Aug 31, 2013

[img]http://2.bp..com/-bxf9ZSYxNVI/URme9dP9dPI/AAAAAAAAFyg/i9nkD1HXszg/s1600/CC.png[/img]

[img]http://4.bp..com/-MfVeaaQc2q0/URme8ogawwI/AAAAAAAAFyU/6a4_MQz_Etw/s1600/aa.jpg[/img]

Lagos in Nigeria has become the latest city to propose a cable car as a mode of mass urban transport in a scheme to be completed by 2015.

Ropeways Transport Limited has signed a franchise agreement with the (LAMATA) Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority and the Lagos State government, which will cover the project for 30 years.

Construction on the first phase of the cable car system will begin in November when towers, stations and the connecting cables will start to be put in place.

Once completed, passengers will be able to travel from Ijora to Iddo; Iddo to Adeniji; Apapa to Oluwole; Oluwole to Adeniji; Adeniji to Obalende; Obalende to Falomo; and Falomo to Victoria Island.

Captain Dago Olumide, Chief Executive Officer of Ropeways Transport Limited, said that the cable car network would help to solve the transport issues that are currently hampering Lagos and preventing its economic expansion.

He went on to say: "By complementing existing transport modes, the Lagos cable car transit system will play its part in reducing the traffic congestion in the city."

Lagos is expected to have 25 million inhabitants by the year 2015, meaning that the current 12 million daily passenger movements will increase by six per cent each year, putting added pressure on the existing transport infrastructure.

It can take those travelling to work by car within the city as long as three hours to complete the journey and 200,000 new vehicles are registered in Lagos State every year, Captain Olumide pointed out.

"Presently, there is need to ameliorate the existing congestion on the three bridges connecting Lagos Mainland to Lagos Island and to provide a link between Apapa and the Central Business District on Lagos Island, and also to link Victoria Island with the Central Business District of Lagos Island. These are what we hope to achieve with the launch of the cable transit system," he added.

Cable cars are increasingly being used as an everyday form of transport across the world, due to the fact that they are green and efficient, with one currently under construction in Brest in Brittany.

Posted by Nick Anderson

International Transport News and Sustainable Transport News

http://www.trl.co.uk/trl-news-hub/transport-news/latest-transport-news/lagos-is-latest-city-to-plan-cable-car_801534209.htm

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by Garrithe1st: 4:29am On Aug 31, 2013
1st of all I wish to congratulate Lagosians and the good people of SW. They're blessed with the best and most visionary leaders in West Africa.

Secondly I've been searching for a friend who goes by the name... Festus Di Cormento... grin grin

Finally... I've to say this.. Eko Oni Baje oooo..

cool cool

21 Likes

Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by plaindealer: 4:29am On Aug 31, 2013

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by AdmYamamoto: 4:39am On Aug 31, 2013
Nice one! Always leading the way...they are UNSTOPPABLE! Eko o ni baje o! Yorubaland...FORWARD EVER!

6 Likes

Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by Brimmie(m): 5:38am On Aug 31, 2013
This man is really trying to help reduce the transportation problem in Lagos State.

Alot is gonna happen in South West by 2015!

GOOD JOB BRUH!!

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by Nobody: 6:19am On Aug 31, 2013
fashola for aso rock 2015

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by Nobody: 6:52am On Aug 31, 2013
Lagos and the entire SW should just officially change their slogan to 'the pace setter'. undecided

Setting the pace since 1960.

Eko oni baje.

7 Likes

Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by seunfly: 6:54am On Aug 31, 2013
Wooow!!! What a good idea, how i wish Lagos has more resources to execute more exellent project like this. Also i wish many states have good and visionary leaders that can utilise the little resources that we have creatively.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by bloggernaija: 7:17am On Aug 31, 2013
A Practical but very important project.
Omo odua doing it like they have always done it from time immemorial .
By taking the best things in life from foriegners and discarding the rubbish,has meant that the yoruba will always be written about whenever the history of enlightenment ,cultural /religious sophistication and urban dwelling is written .
You begin to wonder where we would have being without being joined to laggards.
Like the DAWN document expouses,there is the need to maximise the limited opportunities available in a dysfunctional country by looking inwards and not waiting for a central government that does not exist.
This becomes more imperative especially when you realise that we are surrounded in the north and south by people who are ideologically different ;conservatives everywhere.
You can begin to imagine making a journey from Lagos to Ilorin in 1hr,having to chose between a flying from Ibadan or Lagos to London ,thinking about which broadband (fibre to home) provider is best,wondering whether an holiday to Ibiza or Seychelles is best,wondering which mortgage provider offers the best rates etc.
The most annoying thing is that there are Yorubas willing and able to make these investments but for the structure of the country and the incompetence at the centre.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by naptu2: 7:27am On Aug 31, 2013
Garri the 1st: 1st of all I wish to congratulate Lagosians and the good people of SW. They're blessed with the best and most visionary leaders in West Africa.

Secondly I've been searching for a friend who goes by the name... Festus Di Cormento... grin grin

Finally... I've to say this.. Eko Oni Baje oooo..

cool cool

Wow! Twice in a row.
Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by naptu2: 7:36am On Aug 31, 2013
naptu2: [size=14pt]Lagos Cable Car Transit system (LCCT).[/size]

The Lagos Cable Car Transit system is a cable car system that will be built and operated by the Doppelmayr Group. It is the brainchild of Michael Doppelmayr.

The Doppelmayr Garaventa Group is an Austrian company that manufactures chairlifts, cable cars, gondolas, surface tows for ski and amusement parks as well as urban people movers and material handling systems. To date, Doppelmayr and Garaventa have produced over 13,700 installations in 78 countries. The Doppelmayr Garaventa Group was formed in 2002 when Doppelmayr of Wolfurt, Austria merged with Garaventa AG of Switzerland to form the world's largest ropeway manufacturer.

Doppelmayr was founded in Wolfurt Austria in 1892. Artur Doppelmayr, the son of the founder, took over in 1967. In 1996, Doppelmayr's holding company purchased Von Roll, a Swiss maker of gondolas and cable cars. In 2002, Doppelmayr acquired CWA, a Swiss maker of gondola and cable car cabins. The merger of Doppelmayr and Garaventa was announced in 2001 and completed in 2002.

The company was selected in April 2011 as one of a consortium to build London's Cable Car system

DCC Doppelmayr Cable Car is a supplier of Automated People Movers (APM) based in Wolfurt, Austria. It is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Doppelmayr Garaventa Group.[1] Their main product is the ropeway-propelled CABLE Liner shuttle used in airports, city centres, intermodal passenger transport connections, park and ride facilities, campuses, resorts, and amusement parks.

In 2003, after the world’s only Maglev transport system at Birmingham International Airport fell into disrepair, DCC installed the "AirRail Link" to replace the Maglev and temporary replacement bus-service that had been operating since 1995.

DCC is an ISO 9001:2000 certified company.

Company history

DCC was established by the Doppelmayr Group in 1996.

•1999: completion of the Mandalay Bay Tram in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
•2002: Doppelmayr merged with Garaventa Group
•2002: completion of AirRail Link at Birmingham International Airport, UK
•2006: completion of the LINK Train in Toronto, Canada
•2006: award of Automated People Mover contract for the City of Venice, Italy
•2006: award of contract for MGM Mirage CityCenter in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
•2007: completion of the Cable Liner Shuttle at Mexico City International Airport
•2007: award of Automated People Mover contract for the New Doha International Airport in Qatar
•2012: completion of the Emirates Air Line (cable car) in London

Michael Doppelmayr watched the BBC documentary, “Welcome to Lagos” and had the idea to build a cable car system in Lagos. He felt that the idea would definitely succeed because of the sheer population density of Lagos. He did his research and discovered that, by 2015, Lagos will be the third largest urban agglomeration in the world, with a population of about 25 million people.

He made contact with some Nigerian businessmen and Ropeways Transport Limited was formed. The chief executive officer of Ropeways Transport Limited is Captain Dapo Olumide, former CEO of Virgin Nigeria.

Ropeways Limited proposed 3 routes to Lamata. They are:

1)Apapa – Oluwole – Adeniji Adele
2)Ijora/7up – Iddo – Adeniji Adele
3)Victoria Island – Falomo – Obalende – Adeniji Adele

Lamata has approved the routes and granted Ropeways the right of way. This was officially formalised via a tripartite agreement between Ropeways Limited, LAMATA and the Lagos State Government.

The idea behind the selection of these routes is to decongest the three bridges connecting Lagos Island to the Mainland (Carter, Eko and Third Mainland bridges), decongest the two bridges connecting Lagos Island to Victoria Island (Independence [Onikan] and Five Cowry [Falomo] bridges) and connect the port and industrial district (Apapa) with the central business district (Marina). The Lagos Cable Car Transit system will be 12km long. A journey from Apapa to Adeniji will take roughly 4 minutes.

The project will be funded by a loan from the African Development Bank (ADB). The project will cost $500 million and it is expected that fares will be around 100 – 300 naira.

The project will have 5 sources of power viz – (1) The Independent Power Project (IPP) on the Island (2) Gas (3) Diesel (4) Turbines (5) Inverters (which will provide 30 minutes back-up power).

An interview with Captain Dapo Olumide (CEO of Ropways Limited) on Channels Television’s Sunrise programme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqud4IaxC00

[img]http://4.bp..com/-MfVeaaQc2q0/URme8ogawwI/AAAAAAAAFyU/6a4_MQz_Etw/s1600/aa.jpg[/img]
Governor Fashola, Captain Olumide and a representative from Doppelmayr at the signing ceremony.

Read more here: The History of Public Transportation In Lagos https://www.nairaland.com/1218704/history-public-transportation-lagos

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by Maxymilliano(m): 8:19am On Aug 31, 2013
Good one ...

1 Like

Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by Danhumprey: 8:24am On Aug 31, 2013
Lagos state government always setting the pace. Yet the FG are just lagging behind,instead of it being the one setting the pace. Lagos state and indeed the entire South West are fortunate to have visionary leadership.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by Nobody: 8:30am On Aug 31, 2013
Wunderbar! Where there's no vision....the people perish...

Fashola keeps putting the sword to every attempt to make Lagos operate like a junkyard with clinical and classical cutting edge democratic deliverables

Big Up unnu chest Oga Fashola!

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by edoyad(m): 8:57am On Aug 31, 2013
I have a torrid time trying to fall asleep any time I know I'll be flying the next day. This one is almost out of the question for me.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by naptu2: 9:00am On Aug 31, 2013
edoyad: I have a torrid time trying to fall asleep any time I know I'll be flying the next day. This one is almost out of the question for me.

grin

Anyway, the goal is to provide options that will help in decongesting the bridges. You can choose between the BRT (bus), LRT (train), Eko Water Bus (ferry) and the LCCT (cable car).

9 Likes

Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by Niloticus01: 9:04am On Aug 31, 2013
Let keep trying alternative to ease Lagos citizens problem with transportation ...
Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by edoyad(m): 9:23am On Aug 31, 2013
naptu2:

grin

Anyway, the goal is to provide options that will help in decongesting the bridges. You can choose between the BRT (bus), LRT (train), Eko Water Bus (ferry) and the LCCT (cable car).

Provision of options AKA Development.
Let us say someone travelled out of lagos(not necessarily abroad) in 2005 and won't return till ten years after. Just imagine how all these developments would astound him.
Now how many states in Nigeria can we say same about, including where my parents are from? These are the kinds of questions we should be using to guage real development.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by omonnakoda: 9:35am On Aug 31, 2013
Ndigbo people thank you for developing Lehgus
Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by omonnakoda: 9:36am On Aug 31, 2013
edoyad: I have a torrid time trying to fall asleep any time I know I'll be flying the next day. This one is almost out of the question for me.
So are you denying that you are a winch?
Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by joeace2020(m): 9:45am On Aug 31, 2013
omonnakoda: So are you denying that you are a winch?

did u hv to b dat childish .... sum ppl even get road sick if u dnt knw...all diz one's wey neva use plane b4 feel dey hv an opinion... Mscheeew

1 Like

Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by Abagworo(m): 9:58am On Aug 31, 2013
joeace2020:

did u hv to b dat childish .... sum ppl even get road sick if u dnt knw...all diz one's wey neva use plane b4 feel dey hv an opinion... Mscheeew

This is complete crap. I've always liked Fashola's moves but this is rather retrogressive.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by omonnakoda: 9:58am On Aug 31, 2013
joeace2020:

Please don't vex .When next you are going on your plane can you invite me
Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by ednut1(m): 10:22am On Aug 31, 2013
Nice concept, but me no go fit enta, final destination fins

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by irebombo: 10:27am On Aug 31, 2013
The best governor ever. Later now some people will start saying they develope Lagos, and yet they refused to and develope their own states. Shioo

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by eledalo: 10:31am On Aug 31, 2013
Im suprised Nigerians are still so easily fooled by federal, state and local governments.
Isn't 2015 an election year?
And what of phase 1 of the light rail that was to be complete by June?
https://www.nairaland.com/1156265/lagos-light-rail-ready-june/3

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by diarra94(m): 10:31am On Aug 31, 2013
GOOD DEVELOPMENT. IM HAPPY SOME LEADERS ARE ACTUALLY THINKING. I THINK ITS HIGH TIME OTHER STATES START PROTESTING AGAINST THEIR GOVERNMENTS COS IM TIRED OF THIEVES RUNNING THE SYSTEM.
Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by kstyle2(m): 10:33am On Aug 31, 2013
M nt a yoruba dude nor m i an igbo chap but u cnt help but admire wat lagos kips doin....fashola is multi dimensional....if we had up 2 15 govs lyk him,dis contry wil b blessd wit great projcts....i'l put my religion n tribe aside n say'fashola is d best tin 2 com out of 9ja afta petroleum n 2face...if he decides 2 run 4 presidnt,i no go only thumbprint,i go faceprint,yansh print,gbola print sef...datz all

16 Likes

Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by Nobody: 10:34am On Aug 31, 2013
If this thing work true true, then Kano surely will follow suit grin they always copycat!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by idamokoemmanuel(m): 10:35am On Aug 31, 2013
Nice one.......lets watch nd see how it wil work.
Re: Lagos Cable Car Network. Construction Starts In November.. by Nobody: 10:36am On Aug 31, 2013
if this could be completed, it would be the best in africa, and traffic will be greatly reduced in lagos

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Call For A United South By The Southwest,an Insult To The South East-south South / Unbelievable! Biafra Almost A Reality As Nnamdi Kanu Takes Final Drastic Steps / Names of The 82 Chibok Girls Released By Boko Haram (Full List)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.